shape
carat
color
clarity

2.56ct AGL unheated Sapphire without a place to live!

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
Hi All! So I finally got an iphone and can finally start participating in CS! I managed to get my hands on a 2.56 AGL cert unheated Ceylon Sapphire. It's not my ideal stone, as even though it's a nice medium bright blue it has a violet undertone. But it's a well cut oval without much of a bowtie or extinction.
img_0130_1_.jpgimg_0132_1_.jpgimg_0131_1_.jpg

Sincere there weren't a lot of funds in the old sparklie bank, I decided to look for an antique setting that I could change out the center stone on. I wanted something art deco and sleek, befitting this antique stone. So I found an antique gypsy set emerald ring, when I got it it looked like this:
img_0126_1_.jpg

But then I put it in my ultrasonic, and it looked like this: img_0128_1_.jpg

I was very excited as the stones were nearly the same millimeter size and I was going to have a perfect ring! But alas, I forgot one crucial measurement - depth!!
img_0125_2_.jpg

I took the emerald ring to my jeweler. With my price range, he was only able to find a replacement emerald that was shallow. The emerald in the ring now is pretty abraded and has a big window - but it is a good clear color and since it cleaned up so well, I'm not sure if I should change it out! As for the sapphire, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, do you have any thoughts?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww congrats Emma! It's a nice stone!

Now then ..... why on earth would you want to hide that lovely stone in a rub-over setting? If I were you, I'd let light come at it from as many angles as possible to maximise its potential. A stone will darken quite a lot in the sort of setting you were considering AND will be high off your finger (as you've now realised) which will mean it'll be quite a chunky knuckle duster sort of affair. Of course if you like those sort of rings then you're on the right lines but if you want to see your sapphire perform then you may want to reconsider.

Just some food for thought x

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love blue sapphires with a violet undertone, as do many in the trade. Such a beautiful stone deserves a much nicer setting. I think my jaw dropped when you wrote that you put the emerald in the US. Please don't as most emeralds do not fare well under such cleaning stress.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your sapphire is quite nice! but the setting will not be a good match with it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
What a pretty stone!
unheated, real nice color, good size...

Soo glad it is too deep for that setting, also the wrong shape overall.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a sapphire baby and that is TDF! Love it! Congrats I'd love to have this problem ;-) I would a half bezel setting (I think that's what you call them) east west set.

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
@LD It's funny, the whole reason I was thinking of a rub-over setting was because I wanted something low and easy. I have another sapphire ring that is set in a basket, so I was looking for variety.

@Chrono, Glad you like the stone! I appreciate the violet undertones I'm just a little anti-purple, it's funny how these things work! I did not mean to startle you! I planned on sacrificing the emerald, since it looked so horrid, I was shocked to find that it wasn't completely included!

@VapidLapid & @MovieZombie - Thanks!!

@VAgemguy - let me think about it!

@CharmedOne - I definitely think I would want to do E/W as I like good finger coverage. Half bezel may be a good compromise, if I could find a way to still have light come in on the sides of the stone. Glad you like the stone!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first reaction too was about the ultrasonic and the emerald. I am so glad the emerald wasn't hurt!

As to the sapphire, you have done well EJ; I and many in the world love that little bit of violetish in good blue sapphires. Take your time and find a setting worthy of showing it off at its best.

I have a lovely sapphire that I put in a platinum pave setting with an enclosed basket. While the stone is still pretty, I was surprised at how much darker and less sparkly it became when set. I know I need to have it re-set if I really want to showcase the stone, but its hard, not to mention costly. So I urge you - please get it right the first time so you don't end up in ring purgatory like me! ;( ;(

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I meant quarter bezel set :) Where it would only be bezel set on the rounded sides (E/W) or just the top and bottom of the oval, if that makes sense. LOL

Kinda like this, without the melee:

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1355604327.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
GREAT color on that stone!!!!

CharmedOne, I love that east west setting! That would be a good match for this stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that sapphire were mine, I would replicate the ring below (no idea where I originally saw the photos but it was sometime ago).

The difference is that I would set the sappphire e/w and would thin down the metal and lower all the stones. I would use small oval or round diamond sides. This would give you the bezel look you want but would allow light to hit the stone.

design1.jpg

_2412.jpg

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
@Minous, I know what you mean about finding the "right" setting. I certainly wouldn't want to mess this one up. The more I think about it, the more I realize I was not trying to highlight the stone but make it into something it's not. Since what I want is a royal blue sapphire, I thought if I bezeled this one, then it would darken up a bit. But of course that was not the right tact!!!

@CharmedOne - OOHHHH, that is really pretty setting! I think the stone needs some diamonds because it is a bit small. It's a sparkly stone, so it can stand up to some pave.

@Jereni - Thanks!!

@LD, wow, that is an interesting setting!! That would certainly give some side action and let lots of light it. I was thinking the stone would be nice e/w with pear sidestones. But three e/w ovals might be really unique

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice you have the stone for sale on lt; why don't you just return it to the vendor? I can't imagine that you'll be able to sell it for as much as you bought it for, so it might be more cost effective to just return it... :blackeye: But why? Its a pretty stone.

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
Yes, I did put out some feelers on LT. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do! I think you all are right that this is a gorgeous sapphire and should be set "right" the first time. Since this isn't my dream stone, I'm not really ready to invest in a setting which I know I could never recoup - you know what I mean?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
EmJ, I know what you mean. I have bought so many stones over the years and I honestly have only had one of them set and that was a graduation gift for my niece. It is also hard to decide because setting are so pricey now. Maybe you can just hold on to it, until you come across what really want.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emma you need to be careful doing this sort of thing. The Mods could interpret it as you're trying to garner opinions on a stone you have for sale. Why don't you just return it to the original vendor? As Minou has said you're unlikely to get your money back. This is not a top class stone and you will have (presumably) paid a premium for it. Flipping stones very rarely makes you a decent profit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second and third the opinions to return the sapphire if the return window still applies and you don't think this stone is right for you. You are most likely to take a loss on it as the secondhand market is not very good. The longer you wait, the smaller your window remains open.

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
Sorry! I didn't bring up the sale on the forum, I was just answering questions. If the mods want to delete my answer they are more than welcome!! I've had the stone for a long time (as I mentioned, I just got the iphone, that's why I didn't post about it earlier) so I can't return it. If you all want to stop replying here to close down the thread that's fine, it seems every thread I start goes off in a horrible direction!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does the stone look on the back of your hand? Gems tend to darken a little once set and yours might. You can also try the foil test to see how it changes when bezeled. Since you've had the stone for this long, why not hold on to it for a little longer until you have the funds to set it beautifully? I've found that when I rush the setting design, I end up not liking the end result and don't wear it at all, which equates to wasting my money in the first place.

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
@Chrono - you are right about holding off, perhaps that will be best. Can we talk about the emerald ring? Since I made the near epic fail of cleaning it, I've been a total fan. I think it would pair perfectly with a 5 stone diamond band. I was also thinking of having some little pear emeralds set in on the ends, to give the ring a more feminine touch - what do you think?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Problem #1: Until you open up the setting, no one knows if there is any damage to the girdle area.
Problem #2: Not easy to find matching pear cut emeralds since the rough does not lend itself to that shape. The easiest is to find diamond side stones for the reset.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EmmaJoy|1355748683|3333311 said:
Sorry! I didn't bring up the sale on the forum, I was just answering questions. If the mods want to delete my answer they are more than welcome!! I've had the stone for a long time (as I mentioned, I just got the iphone, that's why I didn't post about it earlier) so I can't return it. If you all want to stop replying here to close down the thread that's fine, it seems every thread I start goes off in a horrible direction!!

Oh honey, sorry about that! I think we really thought we were helping. Then can I urge you to take serious offers only, and not settle until you feel that you're in an acceptable ballpark? Its just so pretty that I think, especially at this time of year, you will have serious offers of interest.

Can you show us an example of your ideal stone? That way we can help you look, if you haven't given up on us... :(sad :cry:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1355776846|3333625 said:
EmmaJoy|1355748683|3333311 said:

Oh honey, sorry about that! I think we really thought we were helping. Then can I urge you to take serious offers only, and not settle until you feel that you're in an acceptable ballpark? Its just so pretty that I think, especially at this time of year, you will have serious offers of interest.

Can you show us an example of your ideal stone? That way we can help you look, if you haven't given up on us... :(sad :cry:

+1! I had missed the bit where you said you'd had the stone for a while!

I like your idea of pear emeralds but they're going to be tough to find. Finding one isn't easy so finding a matched pair may take some time.

Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to change the emerald ring? You've said you want it to be more feminine - do you still want to keep it e/w and in a rub over setting or are you open to a complete re-set?

To answer part of Chrono's question re any potential damage, can you see the stone from the underside or is it an enclosed setting?

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Minous!! I still feel awful that I started the thread that set the stage for TL to leave - and I think I started another bad thread too! Anyhow...I think I'll be off sapphires for now.

The emerald ring is open on the bottom, so I can see that the stone was not damaged when I put it in the ultrasonic :) I would like to leave it in the setting, the stone is not the best (it's super shallow) but I don't value a substantially better stone enough for the price increase. I also really like the rub over style!

I'm very lucky because I live right near the diamond district in NYC, so I made some calls today and it looks like I could find some little emerald pears in my price range.

I was thinking that the pears would make the ring look a bit more feminine and make the ring have more finger coverage. I'm not sure I like the alternating colors though, that's my big concern. I was also thinking I would have them do the border engraving around all the stones to give the ring a bit more pizzazz.

resistencia9951

Rough_Rock
Wow! That blue sapphire is to die for! I wish I could find a sapphire like that one. Any more pictures?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results