shape
carat
color
clarity

What surprised you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
As I''m going through the planning I''m finding that the prices for some things are a huge surprise to me. For example, I didn''t expect decorations (chair covers, ceiling draping, sashes, etc) to cost so much, and I had no idea that invitations could cost so much either. On the other hand, I''m really surprised at how inexpensive my flowers are being priced at considering I''m not DIYing, and that I was able to find a wedding dress for 800 bucks.

What about you? What surprised you about your wedding costs, or even just about wedding planning in general?

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
two things have surprised me overall:

1- how much everything costs, FI and i went way over our budget even tho we didn''t exactly spend that much on each item, it just adds up
2- my attitude towards certain wedding decisions, one day i''ll throw a mini fit about this shade of red or that shade of red and another day i just go with the flow, i''m normally a go with the flow kinda person, so those mini bridezilla moments freak me out a bit, hehe

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
btw, just wanted to mention you are awesome for your comments in the un-flower girl thread, you pretty much said all the things i wanted to say but was to chicken to
3.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 3:04:37 PM
Author:NuggetBrain
As I''m going through the planning I''m finding that the prices for some things are a huge surprise to me. For example, I didn''t expect decorations (chair covers, ceiling draping, sashes, etc) to cost so much, and I had no idea that invitations could cost so much either. On the other hand, I''m really surprised at how inexpensive my flowers are being priced at considering I''m not DIYing, and that I was able to find a wedding dress for 800 bucks.

What about you? What surprised you about your wedding costs, or even just about wedding planning in general?
I didn''t know that the venues don''t provide this...not even the caterer....

I didn''t think that invites would be an arm and a leg as well, but I found a site that was very reasonable and we''ll be able to do 100 invites, 100 rsvps, 100 stds all with envelopes for $120, which includes shipping cost to us.

Still looking into the flowers and I''m starting to get worried. Cakes surprised me a ton when I asked for a quick quote. I was told it was about $7 per slice per guest so I could do that math myself for a normal cake and nothing too fancy. More if you want more elaborate work...

Oh and the veil! Almost $120 for tulle...and I am planning on having a very long veil.....

On a side note, your responses to the other thread about the flower girl was awesome!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...what hasn''t surprised me
3.gif
! I was surprised with how reasonable our food costs have been. From the caterer to the baker I feel like we got some wonderful deals. I was pleasantly surprised by how much my gown cost but not-so-pleasantly surprised by how much the veil cost! I was happy with the deal I got on FI''s band but am not looking forward to facing how much my custom band will cost.

I think overall the silly things that shocked me were small costs that added up so far: favors, supplies for favors (both wedding and bridal shower), postage, postage and more postage. It''s gotten to the point where I will just go to the best of the best for some costs because if I am going to spend a large amount, might as well make it what I really want (like spending the extra $$ to get custom wedding stamps)!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
oh what also surprised me were the little victories i had with deals on certain wedding items, like favors, shoes, invitations... i was almost giddy that michaels has 40% off coupons, this so not me if i wasn''t wedding planning

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 4:46:03 PM
Author: ficklefaye
oh what also surprised me were the little victories i had with deals on certain wedding items, like favors, shoes, invitations... i was almost giddy that michaels has 40% off coupons, this so not me if i wasn''t wedding planning
I know, its so ridiculous how excited I get when I see coupons and stuff. I was straight up clutching my pearls when I found a coupon for 25% off my invitations. FI was all
23.gif

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Cakes surprised me a ton when I asked for a quick quote. I was told it was about $7 per slice per guest so I could do that math myself for a normal cake and nothing too fancy. More if you want more elaborate work...

DITTO!

I just about flipped when I heard cakes start at $600 for the very basics. It''s CAKE, for goodness sake
40.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
FI thought i was crazy at first too, but he came to his senses and looks for the coupons too
3.gif
weddings aren''t cheap! haha!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 4:49:15 PM
Author: zipzapgirl
Cakes surprised me a ton when I asked for a quick quote. I was told it was about $7 per slice per guest so I could do that math myself for a normal cake and nothing too fancy. More if you want more elaborate work...

DITTO!

I just about flipped when I heard cakes start at $600 for the very basics. It''s CAKE, for goodness sake
40.gif
you slap wedding or bridal to anything, and it costs way more than usual
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy surprises: how smooth the dress designing/making process was, the tailor did a great job bringing my vision to life. The cost of flowers and food was more than reasonable. And I also surprised myself at how comfortable I was at bartering for prices, haha.

Unhappy surprises: Cake (it''s 3.75/slice, but with set up costs, taxes, rental fees it''s 5.50/person!). Dress alterations also cost a lot more than I thought it would. I also wasn''t expecting my fiance to be SO apathetic towards the wedding planning, his level of interest is in the negative.

Not a surprise but I''m still a little awed by how much alcohol costs!

I''m also happily surprised at how nicely my DIY things came out. Had a blast making invites and programs and cake topper, much more than I thought I would.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 4:54:31 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Happy surprises: how smooth the dress designing/making process was, the tailor did a great job bringing my vision to life. The cost of flowers and food was more than reasonable. And I also surprised myself at how comfortable I was at bartering for prices, haha.

Unhappy surprises: Cake (it''s 3.75/slice, but with set up costs, taxes, rental fees it''s 5.50/person!). Dress alterations also cost a lot more than I thought it would. I also wasn''t expecting my fiance to be SO apathetic towards the wedding planning, his level of interest is in the negative.

I''m also happily surprised at how nicely my DIY things came out. Had a blast making invites and programs and cake topper, much more than I thought I would.
Ditto!!!!

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 4:54:31 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

WORD. It''s the one downside to my venue. I know it''s coming, but still...

Also surprising: how easy it is to get my FI and his family to agree to a small guest list, and how hard it is to get them to stick to that.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Also surprising: how easy it is to get my FI and his family to agree to a small guest list, and how hard it is to get them to stick to that.
good gosh, this is me too!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I think the question is what hasn''t suprised me?
3.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I was (well am) surprised with how ambivalent I have been. I always thought I would have a great vision of what I wanted from the dress to the venue, but it turns out I don''t care. I am very excited about my dress and I love it, but I had no ideas and it is nothing like I would have thought I would have imagined. Same with the venue- I had no idea when I thought I would have all these ideas al la Monica from friends.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 2:11:56 AM
Author: sba771
I was (well am) surprised with how ambivalent I have been. I always thought I would have a great vision of what I wanted from the dress to the venue, but it turns out I don''t care. I am very excited about my dress and I love it, but I had no ideas and it is nothing like I would have thought I would have imagined. Same with the venue- I had no idea when I thought I would have all these ideas al la Monica from friends.
you mean monica with her binder? that''s just crazy
3.gif

anyway, i was completely surprised yesterday, my shower is in a few weeks, so i thought i would update my gift registry and i noticed that people already purchased some items, to my surprise, someone purchased one of my high end items, i really only put it there as a joke because i didn''t think anyone would buy it anyway, and there it was: purchased!
23.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, I''m definitely surprised at the generosity of people who sent us gifts. One couple sent us 500$, even though we weren''t able to invite them to the wedding (which is this Saturday!).

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
$500 and not attending your wedding WOW!

I''m surprised at how confusing all the planning is! I have never been in a wedding myself. My mom had a courthouse wedding...so no planning there. It''s a whole new learning experience! I feel like I have a huge list in my mind that I have questions about, but when it comes to asking about it I totally lose all of it! Good thing we''re meeting with the events planner at our venue tomorrow so she can set us straight!
19.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
The thing that has surprised me the most s how calm I have been about the whole wedding for the majority of the planning time. I think I have had just oe rant on here last week. There were a few issues that have all been sorted out now.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 4:25:28 PM
Author: merrymunky
The thing that has surprised me the most s how calm I have been about the whole wedding for the majority of the planning time. I think I have had just oe rant on here last week. There were a few issues that have all been sorted out now.
i''m glad to hear, merrymunky!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results