shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Style

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read this article in "The New York Times" with horror. I have not been to a wedding in years and what I know of them is from groups like these on the ''net. (I don''t watch television and don''t know who Jessica Simpson is, although I saw her picture on a magazine cover.) I would like to know if your experiences include weddings like the ones described here. Do you consider such weddings to be the norm? Have any of your close friends been married with this much glitz? I am one of those women who got married in a Priscilla of Boston in church with a sedate reception afterward!!

From "The New York Times"

June 6, 2004
Perfect Wedding: $5,000 Cake, Hold the Simplicity
By CATHY HORYN

So it has come to this: a flying wedding cake.

In the upward pursuit of the perfect wedding, finicky brides are having their cakes delivered by airplane. "We fly ours with Continental," said Sylvia Weinstock, a Manhattan baker, who has cakes in the air nearly every weekend in May and June. Mmmm: there''s the three-tier yellow cake adorned with bunches of sugar grapes for a wedding in Napa Valley and a six-layer Lady Baltimore cake for a bride in Lake Geneva, Wis.

Mrs. Weinstock, who flies her buttercream-frosted layers in cargo, sees this extravagance in relative terms. One of her fancy, many-tiered cakes — enough to feed 300 guests — can cost $5,000, plus another $500 for shipping and more if it is accompanied by a handler.

"When you''re spending $200,000 for a wedding, a cake that costs $5,000 is not all that expensive," she said.

Maybe not, but having one delivered 3,000 miles with the ease of a pizza does suggest a peculiarly driven personality. Wedding obsession has become the latest cultural contagion, and it doesn''t just affect the rich or fans of Jessica Simpson, the pop singer whose over-the-top nuptials inspired her book of wedding tips.

Turn on the television at the breakfast hour and you can watch a bride and groom plan every step of their special day, right up to an on-air wedding. Tonight, ABC Family will broadcast "Love Rules!," a movie about "the perfect wedding." Cable keeps viewers clinging to their Kleenex boxes with reality shows like "''Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen & Dave" on MTV. Meanwhile, on the peau de soie heels of Bride''s have come nearly a dozen new bridal magazine titles since 2000.

Although some degree of perfectionism is present in every blusher-length veil and ribbon garland - in every hand-lettered invitation, silver cake knife and, lately, every chocolate fountain that a bride feels she must have - this perfectionism, wedding professionals say, has ballooned into an obsession.

"We have people who have meltdowns over what hankie to buy," said Barbara Barrett, the owner of the Bridal Mall in Niantic, Conn., who in part blames the media''s focus on lavish weddings and what she calls "the stupid romance" of reality television.

Mindy Weiss, a Beverly Hills party planner who helped the actress Kate Beckinsale with her May nuptials, and Ms. Simpson in 2002, said she gets e-mail messages every week from brides-to-be asking how they can have a wedding like Ms. Simpson''s on a budget of less than $20,000. Ms. Weiss advises them to scatter candles around the room. "I truly feel for them," said Ms. Weiss, whose clients typically have budgets of more than $100,000.

One California bride, on a quest to be size 8 by her wedding day, had her jaws wired shut for two months. "She could only eat through a straw," said Monique Lhuillier, a Los Angeles bridal designer who made the woman''s dress. And more of her customers, Ms. Lhuillier said, are buying two gowns - a traditional style to please their mothers for the ceremony and a second, trendier model to wear during the reception.

Natalie Fritz, a lingerie designer in Los Angeles, has seen friends transform into Bridezilla, even Groomzilla, a specter she wants to avoid when she marries Rick Eid, a television writer, in September in Carmel, Calif.

Ms. Fritz, 31, who is limiting her guest list to 150, said, "I definitely feel the pressure to do something memorable." She will have a dessert bar and will send guests home with sacks of chocolate chip cookies and cartons of milk.

This impulse to be different is not confined to the coasts. A decade ago it would have unthinkable to hold a wedding on Aruba or Hawaii and turn it into a weekend of spa treatments and golf matches for your guests. But this year some 200,000 American couples - nearly one in every 10 - will do just that, making the destination wedding the fastest growing segment of the $50 billion bridal industry.

Marcy Blum, a New York wedding planner, recalls her skepticism when Disney approached her, in 1991, about developing a wedding business in Orlando, Fla. "I told them, this is the stupidest thing I''ve ever heard of,'' " Ms. Blum said. Since then, 22,000 couples have been wed there, a Disney spokeswoman said, generating tens of millions of dollars in revenue from hotels and admissions.

"The media and Internet have played such a big role in all this," said Mary Bernstein, an Omaha wedding planner who had a client wed in a train depot, an event featured in Martha Stewart Weddings magazine. "Now every bride wants something different."

The media are certainly culprits, says Katherine Jellison, an Ohio University history professor who is working on a study of American weddings since World War II. But, as Dr. Jellison points out, the media have long been obsessed with weddings; in the 1950''s, NBC had a show called "Bride and the Groom" with real couples. "So the phenomenon isn''t new," she said. "It''s just been ratcheted up to the nth degree."

Far more troubling to her is the message that the media, and the wedding industry, now give young women. "The message is: ''Spend time on yourself, not on your moral or intellectual development, but on displaying yourself,'' " Dr. Jellison said.

However, wedding professionals in the trenches tend to view this development more harshly. "I wouldn''t want my clients to hear me say this," a retailer said, "but I think it''s because we''ve raised a generation of spoiled brats. Everything is about them - ''me, me, me.'' ''''

In New York, the impulse to be different is further aggravated by competitiveness. "You can''t tell me there is a New Yorker who doesn''t want to be original," said Jordana Sandler, 30, whose reception in May at Gotham Hall included a sit-down dinner for 215 and "Jordana''s brownies," a favorite of her husband''s.

Ms. Blum said she has seen a radical shift in emphasis in the past few years. "It used to be that if you wanted to show you were rich, you went to the Pierre," said Ms. Blum, who helped Padma Lakshmi, an Indian actress and model, and the author Salman Rushdie with their April nuptials, which had an Anglo-Indian theme. "Now it''s not enough to show you''re rich, you''ve got to show you''re creative. That''s the message."

To older generations of brides, who perhaps got married in Priscilla of Boston dresses with receptions in their parents'' backyards or at local country clubs, the notion of receptions with sushi "stations" and chocolate fountains, or vows written out in calligraphy on the aisle runner - strains the imagination. Whatever happened to the afternoon wedding followed by cake and punch?

"Have you heard of an M.N.P?" said Gerard Monaghan, president of the Association of Bridal Consultants, a trade organization. "It''s a reception with mints, nuts and punch. They''re still very common in the South."

Influenced by the sugarplum pages of Martha Stewart Weddings, alert to the names of celebrity designers and determined to have a wedding that emphasizes not merely her taste and personality but also the cleverness of her choices, today''s bride is unlikely to see the virtue in bowls of Jordan almonds.

"This is a generation of highly branded consumers," said Nina Lawrence, vice president and publisher of the Fairchild Bridal Group, which includes Bride''s and Modern Bride magazines.

The average American couple spends $22,300 for their wedding, according to a 2002 survey by Fairchild Bridal InfoBank. In New York and Washington, the average is $35,000 (and, in reality, say caterers, closer to $50,000). Even though more and more couples are paying for their own weddings or pooling family resources, credit management companies have seen a rise in wedding-related debt.

And Ms. Barrett, of the Bridal Mall in Connecticut, said: "I think some of the franticness I''m seeing in brides is because they know they''re overextended. Their credit cards are maxed out."

But a more revealing indicator of wedding obsession may be the number of experts now operating in the field. Although the number of marriages performed in the United States has remained steady for 20 years - about 2.3 million - the number of wedding planners has risen 25 percent in the past 18 months to 7,000, according to the bridal consultants group.

"Like everything else, the industry has gone from being a mom-and-pop business to a highly specialized one," said the wedding designer Colin Cowie. In addition to books and a cable television show, Mr. Cowie now has a deal with J. C. Penney to produce a line of bridal products and services, so that lower-and middle-income consumers can benefit from the expertise he has lavished on big spenders, like the Mexican bride who sent her family''s private jet to pick up her cake.

But specialization has also led to an explosion of products, putting further strain on budgets - and, in some cases, making chiselers and penny pinchers of brides as they try to skimp on one frippery to have another. "There are just too many choices," said Ms. Barrett, noting that the latest rage to hit her area is the $300 preserved bouquet, freeze-dried and under glass.

Ms. Blum sees hopeful signs of a retreat. For the first time in years, she said, brides are telling her they want the traditional first dance and to toss their bouquets.

The flight of the Wisconsin wedding cake also illustrates that weddings, like life, seldom go as planned. The cake had a bumpy ride, causing a stabilizing rod between the layers to snap, said the bride''s mother, Janet Hanson. But while a disappointment, it was not a total loss. Mrs. Hanson and her daughter, Dawn, who is a flight attendant, borrowed a display dummy from a local bakery for the photos, and served up Mrs. Weinstock''s cake anyway.

"It was beyond compare," said Mrs. Hanson, admitting that her friends were a little startled by the idea of a flying cake.

But she suggested that why they did it was no secret: "We heard about Sylvia on ''Regis and Kathy Lee.'' ''''

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search | Corrections

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I'd spend it even if I had the money...Sylvia's cakes are so beautiful, I'd never want to cut my cake!!!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I think a Krispy Kreme "cake" is in order!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- my girlfriend just had one! It was not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but the girl sitting next to me at the wedding seriously had 6! It was a real hit...I spent a grand on my cake for 125 people- It was beautiful!!!!!!! But not the tastiest cake I've ever had...but then again, how bad can chocolate cake be? LOL

Volred

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I were at a coffee shop drinking coffee, and eating a cheesecake we had just ordered.

We both found the cheesecake to be the best we had ever tasted. Now we are thinking of having that company make our wedding cake.

I guess our cake would be shipped in different boxes for the different layers, and assembled on site.

The idea doesnt seem so weird to me.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I'd rather bake my own wedding cake. It's unlikely I'll get to, as I think my SO will call dibs on it, but it seems a nice thing to do. If you get a good frosting knife and do a crumb layer, you can have a wonderful tasting cake, of whatever variety you desire, and it can look lovely. (Incredibly fancy, no, but nice and neat and tasty.)

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
Funny my cousin is a certified cake decorator, as she went to cooking school a few years back (and currently works in a bank)...

She'll be making my cake, along with her old cake decorating friends, which will be a three layer boisenberry and raspberry cake (with Angel food cake layers) and will have cream colored roller fondant with all those sugar roses and chocolate shaped creme colored roses. All for the bargain price of $400 (for supplies and a kickback!)

Serves 200... By the way, for people looking for those professional cakes and don't have the $1,000 to pay, I suggest looking up cooking schools and cake decorating schools that can do it MUCH cheaper! Same goes for catering of the wedding, and for musicians for church and reception, we may end up hiring three local college kids for a quartet who are AMAZING, available, and 3X cheaper!!!!

Not everyone thinks a good cake costs $5,000...and sometimes that's just the inflated price for using the "W" word!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like a great idea. It's nice to have family involved
1.gif

Out of curiousity, what is "rolled fondant"? I see it on cake descriptions, and my french suggests and explanation, but I've never run across it before.

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
Here are the ingredients and recipe:

http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/fondant.html

This is what it looks like when it's rolled out, like a dough made of sugar.

http://shop.pattycakes.com/Guides/cover_lrg_cakes.asp

Basically, it's the cakes that are NOT made with that puffy nasty tasting creme that everyone ends up pushing to the side of their plate, becuase it's too much. My cousin had actually made my aunt's cake once out of it, and it was shaped like a purse (a Herme Birkin to be exact), and it looked so clean and neat and perfect. It seems that it's easier to cover the cake with this stuff, if you can imagine edible sugary Playdough... they use the dought to make flowers and all sorts of things! All those lovely In Style Weddings have the Rolled Fondant cakes...(I'll try to find a picture!)

A great chart on the difference of cake icings:

http://shop.pattycakes.com/Guides/ici_usage.asp

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OHHHHH, you said the magic word......BOISENBERRY.....

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
Here's the picture of the Rolled Fondant cake I found online that shows the consistency pretty well...It's cute, but sadly, the craftsman ship is so so on this one. My counsin's friend who does Rolled Fondants for weddings and stuff has some seriously expert looks to her cakes, almost professional and so smooth!!!

rolledfondantcake2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
HEY! Why didn't that post!!! Fondant is like a sugar paste...it's what makes the cakes look like velvet...it's stiff...THe funny thing is, it's not really that tasty, so a lot of times, it's taken off before eating!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
my cake kind of looked a little like this...my top had the palest of pink tips on white roses...I can't find one to exaclty match...but this was the company I used....

http://www.weddingcakeonline.com/love1.htm

Opps, wasn't this so NOT the point of this thread!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
it didn't have those ugly little things holding each layer together...and was a little more plain with elements from another cake mixed in! YUM!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oops. wrong one....here is the one...without that big swag design...just the little swags ...
http://www.weddingcakeonline.com/love24.htm

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha our cake was awesome and it was $200. the gal who made it also made Matt LeBlanc's cake for his wedding last year in Kauai. My friend spent $1k on her cake and it wasn't even that good! though i guess when you are spending $200k...yes...$5k does seem like pennies.
rolleyes.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
we can't all be practical all the time...that's no fun at all is it!!! Certain times I chose to splurge....like on my wedding!!!!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...this is SO not the point of this post...hehehehehe...But yes, AGBF, I have some friends who really try to go all out and it gets out of hand... I mean going into debt for a 5 hour affair? Give mea break....there is one girl in particular who really did 'my' wedding, but really tried to one-up me on everything...which was really silly....and so much was charged on a cc....I have certain tastes, and my wedding reflected that...not too extravagant, but fitting for my circumstances and my tastes....she really took almost each element, down to the dress designer, and intentionally one-upped....I don't know if she really was even enjoying what she was planning...it was kind of 'forced'....I always think about what it would have been like to go to Vegas, which I seriously considered, but I have to tell you, it sure feels good to have people still raving to me and my in-laws that my wedding had the most amazing
flowers and food they've ever had!!!!!...heheheheh
11.gif
So...there's the "good" bride and "ba" bride in me!

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
I had two friends like that. They were best friends, and over wedding planning they practically tore eachother apart. One had a $30K wedding (and here that's A LOT!) and the other had a very classy wedding in Puerto Rico...So, one had the designer dress, and so did the other. One had 200 people, the other had 40, but they competed for engagement parties and favors and who can be more creative, and who designed who's flowers, and cakes, etc...It was ugly. In the end, they both just spend way too much, and even the families got upset about the price tags...

Is a wedding REALLY worth all that? I mean our cake MAY just be the most lavish part, but
Lord knows if I could head to Vegas and have the King marry us, I would do it in a heart beat!

In the end who REALLY cares about the details but the bride? People who go can enjoy themselves or not, but is it worth being "the talk of the town" for a brief moment, until someone ousts your "perfect wedding"? That's how it is in our town, all talk of who is spending what and how the wedding was, until they find out that you were 3 months at the wedding, and BAM, no wedding talk is ever discussed again!

Ahhh..to each his own! But frankly, I'd spend the 5K on my hubby to be and our honeymoon! And put the money to use where it matters the MOST...OUR memories!
naughty.gif
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
omg- I SO considered being married by an Elvis impersonator...Are weddings REALLY worth it? I don't know...but I DO know myself enough to know that
If I did the vegas thing, I'd always regret not having the wedding I wanted....and If I had the wedding I wanted, I'd always worry about Vegas..LOL
I just went with my heart...I didn't break the bank and I didn't go into debt...and even though it wasn't the most practical decision of my life, I am so proud of the event I had and the man I married!!!! So that's the goal for each bride- no matter how she decides to do it!!! I also think budgets and events really differ in different parts of the country...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
and no one will ever "oust my perfect wedding"...b/c to me, it was the most perfect wedding in the world....well, except for the "runner incident"...long story...lol

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
hey Holly- you're in Philly....!!! I went to Villanova right around the corner...!!! Things are just as expensive there as they are on Long Island...I think the King is calling....!!!!
1.gif

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
Actually, we moved down to Florida this past month, and we are living in his grandmother's house for a while. Saving money, and trying to start his career down here...Yes, philly is pricey, sort of like most large cities! But i am from the burbs of philly, a wee bit out where it's still the PA prices that dominate and not the big city prices...

Actually, my man and I are going to have the wedding down here, because lots of my family and his family are out here, and it's cheaper, as well as prettier to have it near the water here...We are going this week to see some estate jewelers about getting me a DIAMOND...we're in no rush...but hopefully we will see what estate jewelers offer...

kadie

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bug you but I saw in apost that you had a friend who was married in Puerto Rico. We''re planning a wedding in puerto rico and are looking for sites outside san juan. Could you tell me where the wedding was and whether she used a consultant?

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2004 5:39:45 PM
Author: HollyGo-Lightly

Here''s the picture of the Rolled Fondant cake I found online that shows the consistency pretty well...It''s cute, but sadly, the craftsman ship is so so on this one. My counsin''s friend who does Rolled Fondants for weddings and stuff has some seriously expert looks to her cakes, almost professional and so smooth!!!

AAhhhh that is the cutest cake!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
Too bad it would probably be too cute for my FI, but oh well...

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Off topic I know but you can also have Jimi Hendrix marry you in Vegas. I am so going for the running away from everyone wedding (do you think running from Australia to the US is far enough to get away from the wedding planning mother from hell?) and my FI doesn''t like cake so we may have something else not sure what but something. Wedding shots of vodka perhaps
emwink.gif
emcocktl.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
None of my personal friends have gone that crazy and neither am i, but i know of people who have taken it to the extremes.

Im currently in a debate with myself over the whole wedding thing. While what we have in mind and are planning isnt over the top crazy (dinner, dancing, the norm but still ~10K), part of me screams to have the nice simple MNP reception. Even just to scale it back and have the wedding 2-3 hours earlier and serve heavy hors d’oeuvres. I am just wondering if i would regret the small reception later. I know my dad would (and wouldnt) like to see it scaled back (hes never been one for large parties or anything thats just a waste of money), but i think my mom wants me to have the big reception she didnt have. Like i said, we arent going over the top, i just feel a little guilty about the money, and dont get me wrong, id love the big fun reception too.
33.gif

MMM - I love the cakes you posted. That nice, clean, simple look... i bet your cake was a knock out!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
We are in the process now of choosing a site for our NY wedding. It's amazing to me that so many places have "site fees" of 4-10K on TOP of the catering fees! Ridiculous!!

Here's a cake that I really like.

btw..more more more, I LOVE your dress (and your makeup of course
2.gif
)

-lovey

cakebristol3.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
njc- i totally feel you!!! i don''t know how many times i think to myself, why in the world am i thinking of dropping $15k (which is considered VERY reasonable around here) on a wedding?! and i say to my FI, why did we nix the idea of that cruise wedding? then reality hits me and i remember that i want all my family and frinds there.

lovey- i couldn''t believe the site fees they charge around here in SF/bay area either... they average around 5k and one location (obstensibly at non-profit) charges $12,500 just to rent!! When I saw that my jaw must have dropped thru the floor.
6.gif

i think the bridal industry is evil!
14.gif

but on a positive note, here''s a cake pic i found today that i really like!
18.gif

bluefondant_michaels.jpg

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
flopkins

I agree. Evil wedding industry!!
11.gif

oooh! I''m jealous about your CA location!
My fiance and I have this fantasy about having an impromptu wedding ceremony/picnic on a cliff in Big Sur. 20 people, 6 or 7 bottles of champagne and someone who plays spanish guitar. Doesn''t that sound good?

But that''s just not going to happen. Too many people would have hard feelings.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results