shape
carat
color
clarity

My Friend''s "Green" Wedding w/ Newspaper Article

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I thought you guys might be interested in this article from the Houston Chronicle about a friend of mine who had a "green" wedding (I'm not that close to him but I've known the groom for ten years). We couldn't go to the wedding but friends who went said it was quite different in more ways than one. For example, they had a "team building" exercise for all of the guests at the reception (good thing we didn't go- FI couldn't have kept his mouth shut about that one.)

They're a very sweet couple but it all seems a bit smug and holier-than-thou to me. I mean, we're using "used" tuxes, too, only it's called "renting", and lots of people use family heirlooms for their wedding rings. In any event, here's the article; I'd be curous to know what you think.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/3792967.html

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
Were the hankerchiefs used too?
9.gif

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting article, thanks for sharing! With such an eco-friendly wedding, I''m surprised they served meat though! At least it was organic.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy, they had the reception within walking distance of the ceremony to save gas, and used reusable china. Gee, no one does that!

On the other hand, I do think its cool that leftovers went to a homeless shelter and the flowers to a womens shelter.

I''ve been to a wedding that was much "greener" than this one. The food was all organic, locally grown, vegan, and prepared by the couple and their friends. The flowers were organic, locally grown wildflowers. The beer they brewed themselves, the apple cider we pressed at the wedding with organic, local apples, no chemicals anywhere. There was no pretentious attitude, the couple was just being themselves, and it was a blast!

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I read this over the weekend. While it''s nice that they were ''eco-friendly'' I think they were a little pompous about it. They didn''t really do anything way out there, I mean, ''used'' tuxes, heirloom jewelry. Bigg whoop.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2006 11:50:14 PM
Author: InLuvWithMrH
Were the hankerchiefs used too?
9.gif
14.gif

Skylah

Shiny_Rock
Uhm, am I missing something here? Who DOESN'T use reusable china and silverware at a reception? Strange.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2006 12:17:36 AM
Author: laine

On the other hand, I do think its cool that leftovers went to a homeless shelter and the flowers to a womens shelter.

I mentioned that to the Country Club I used to work at because we were throwing away hundreds of pounds of food every day. They turned down the idea, blaming it on a liability issue. If for some reason a homeless person got sick after eating the food, they could sue and say it was their fault (even if it wasn't). So much for helping those less fortunate.
38.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m buying everything new with the wads of cash I have. Isn''t that how it''s normally done??
2.gif

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
hee hee- glad I'm not the only one who finds it all pretentious and a bit of a stretch. FI especially likes the "created diamonds don't harm the earth" thing- he says he could have saved lots of cash if only he'd thought of that first!

Laine, your friends' wedding sounds lovely, though. Now THAT'S the way to do it- without expecting to make the news!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results