shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were a bridesmaid...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
... would you rather receive as a gift:

1. a) a silver necklace or
b) a yellow gold-plated necklace

2. a) a locket or
b) a chain with an initial/monogram pendant

I''m trying to decide which necklaces to give my bridesmaids. I can''t afford to get them the necklaces I''d like to in gold (we''re paying for their dresses, too!), so I need to choose between gold-plated and silver. (For what it''s worth, my mom hate gold-plated stuff, and thinks silver is the way to go.)
I''ve also seen a lot of cute initial charms/pendants, but I''m not sure if it''s silly to get those since it''s kind of trend that''s already passed. I do like the look of lockets, but I''d like to know what other people think!

I would provide pictures, but I haven''t yet narrowed down the style choices. Am definitely open to ideas, too!

Thanks!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
well I know I prefer silver over gold. I''ve never been a locket fan but only because I can never get the pictures in right. But that could just be because i''m a bit spastic that way. And I for one like initial stuff. I don''t think they have to be "trendy" as long as they''re in a classic style.

Hmmm, that probably didn''t help much did it?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Follow up question. If you were a bridesmaid, would you rather:

a) Pay for your own dress and receive a lovely ~$100 value bridesmaids gift

b) Have your dress paid for and receive a more inexpensive ($20-30) but still thoughtful gift

PS silver initial all the way!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so in the silver initial camp! FWIW, I don''t like gold-plated anything. I would definitely prefer the second of the two scenarios Rockzilla presented. Your BM''s are going to be touched by your thoughtfulness!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Silver initial for me!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''d probably rather have silver than gold plated... and a monogrammed bangle bracelet rather than a locket. I know you didn''t say anything about a bangle but I wanted to throw that in lol
9.gif

And I''d much rather have my dress paid for and get a smaller gift.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would go the silver initial the one reason I wouldn''t go gold plated is I have funky body chemistry that turns gold plating green
14.gif
. BTW I love initial jewelery, it is just so simple and wearable :).

I think it is lovely your paying for their dresses and I am sure your BM''s totally appreciate it, an added gift is just like the cherry on top :).

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 12:05:03 AM
Author:TheBigT

... would you rather receive as a gift:

1. a) a silver necklace or

b) a yellow gold-plated necklace

2. a) a locket or

b) a chain with an initial/monogram pendant

I''m trying to decide which necklaces to give my bridesmaids. I can''t afford to get them the necklaces I''d like to in gold (we''re paying for their dresses, too!), so I need to choose between gold-plated and silver. (For what it''s worth, my mom hate gold-plated stuff, and thinks silver is the way to go.)

I''ve also seen a lot of cute initial charms/pendants, but I''m not sure if it''s silly to get those since it''s kind of trend that''s already passed. I do like the look of lockets, but I''d like to know what other people think!

I would provide pictures, but I haven''t yet narrowed down the style choices. Am definitely open to ideas, too!

Thanks!

A silver chain with an initial monogram pendant but I may be biased because that is exactly what I am getting three of my BM''s :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have pictures of the items you're thinking about? I'd love to see the options.

To answer your question, I'd prefer either a silver necklace or a locket. Do you know if your bridesmaids wear necklaces on a regular basis?

ETA: I just saw that you don't have pics yet.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I would absolutely prefer the silver monogram necklace, if those were my options.

However, I probably wouldn't wear the necklace much, either way. I'm not into monogram jewelry or lockets. But, thats just me...I have "interesting" taste in jewelry...I'm very particular.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Okay, looks like the consensus is silver!
9.gif

Thanks so much for your opinions; this helps a lot.

Neither of my bridesmaids owns a lot of jewelry (and neither has much money to spend, which is why we're paying for their dresses and why I want to get them nice-ish gifts, within my budget), so I want to get them something that's easily wearable and that they can keep for a long time. Silver makes sense that way, and no one will turn green.

It seems like a lot of the contemporary jewelry designers are making jewelry in gold-fill these days (maybe because the price of gold has gone up so much?), which is really frustrating!

I'm also not married to the idea of an initial/monogram pendant, but I do want to get necklace (and I don't need to get them the same necklace). I'm totally open to other ideas, if there are any!

And, Rockzilla I choose (b) to your question. I have so much stuff at this point that I don't need gifts at all; I wouldn't want someone to spend a lot of money on me either way, whether or not they were purchasing my dress.

ETA: ItaliaHairColor, what would your ideal moderately-priced jewelry item be?
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 2:25:40 AM
Author: Deelight
I would go the silver initial the one reason I wouldn''t go gold plated is I have funky body chemistry that turns gold plating green
14.gif
. BTW I love initial jewelery, it is just so simple and wearable :).

I think it is lovely your paying for their dresses and I am sure your BM''s totally appreciate it, an added gift is just like the cherry on top :).
Ditto...I agree completely...i also turn things green...

How about a simple beaded necklace (DIY) and the charm?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silver initial.

But honestly, past the wedding, I wouldn''t wear it at all. All the gifts I received as a BM haven''t been my taste and have either gone to my sister or been donated. Buying the exact same thing for everyone just doesn''t always work.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2008 12:22:34 AM
Author: rockzilla
Follow up question. If you were a bridesmaid, would you rather:

b) Have your dress paid for and receive a more inexpensive ($20-30) but still thoughtful gift

PS silver initial all the way!

B all the way!! Paying for dresses is the best present!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I don''t have to tell you that metal color preference will vary greatly between people. That said, I always prefer solid over plated. So for me it would be silver.

I personally love lockets, and feel kinda over the initial craze, so I''d choose a locket. Lots of people love initials though...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 12:22:34 AM
Author: rockzilla

B, without question!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Silver all the way! I can''t stand gold plated stuff because the gold wears away and well.......it just seems cheap to me. (just sayin...)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d prefer silver and I love the thought of a locket.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all your opinions! I am going to go with silver.

I will probably get one of them a locket, since she''s a new mother and I think I could put a picture of her kid inside and personalize it for her. Still debating about whether I want them matching -- but I have a while to decide!

You''ve all been most helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results