How will you sign your naem?

• Same as maiden name

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • hyphenated last name

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
when you are married?

Are you keeping your last name? Hyphenating last names? Taking FI''s last name but changing your middle name to your maiden name? Taking FI''s last name and keeping current middle name?

My mom retained her maiden name for her middle initial but FMIL ditched her maiden name and signs it with her middle name and married last name. I want to take on FI''s last name but am not sure if I want to use current middle name or maiden last name?

What will you do?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
CDNY - there have been several threads on PS about this topic. Feelings seem pretty mixed about what people decided to do.

I, personally, really disliked my maiden name - it was a particularly unfortunate combination with the degree I''ll (soon!) be receiving, and I had no particular attachment to it, so I took my DH''s last name and have never looked back.

I think its a completely personal choice for each woman, and I respect whatever anyone decides, but I think its great that you are putting some thought into what will work for you and not just blindly doing "what everyone does."
1.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I thought I had this all worked out..and as of the last thread I did. So it''s probably nice to have a new thread about it anyway, lol.
12.gif
All I know for sure is..I am NOT dropping my maiden name. So I am either dropping my middle and making my maiden my middle name, or tacking my new last name on to the end as a hyphenated name or fourth name.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
thinking of making my maiden name my middle name....my middle name right now is ''ann'' with no meaning behind it so i might as well.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m just taking D''s name. I probably won''t change it in college as it will just mess up our groups etc, but at home and for all my personal accounts, I''ll change it.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
since i have no published works (or will, for that matter) i am changing to E''s last name. I am keeping my middle name becuase i have more of an attachment to it, than my maiden name (its the same as my dad''s and grandfathers). I might however use my maiden name as a kid''s middle name, and my middle for another kids middle.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
FI''s last name hands down! I have been waiting years to ditch my last name. I hate it! No one can pronounce it, its long and hard to sign. I can''t wait!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I''m definitely taking FI''s last name. My last name is one of the worst last names on the planet, so I''ll be glad to drop it. No offense to dad, though. He has a son, so the name will live on, lol!

SassyB

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think it''s respectful to take your hubby''s last name. However, I just happen to like his last name. If it were something truly horrible I''m not sure how I''d feel! hahaha!!!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 8:01:17 AM
Author: ilovesparkles
FI's last name hands down! I have been waiting years to ditch my last name. I hate it! No one can pronounce it, its long and hard to sign. I can't wait!
Me too!!! My current last name is 13 letters and I get a hand cramp! Everyone stumbles over it so I'm so excited to get a nice, short NORMAL name. But my last name has character at least.

I'm so glad you started this thread CNYHopeful. I've been wondering what people do as well. I think I'm going to do Lanie Claire FILastName as opposed to Lanie Bjdfkosierolwneflnsovdijsp FILastName because that's essentially what it looks like!

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
I''m taking my FI''s last name, but keeping both my current middle name and maiden name, so I''ll have 2 middle names I guess.

How I will sign things is another question I had not thought of though....Four names is probably a bit much so since I already go by my middle name (why I''m not dropping it) I''ll probably sign things Middle Maiden Married.

What a nice new monogram - MMM
3.gif

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I think I will keep my middle and maiden names, but formally I will go by Katy Maiden FILast, rather than Katy Middle FILast. My middle name is an old family name on my mother''s side, so I don''t want to lose it, but nor do I want to lose my father''s name from mine, so I suppose that is how it will be!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so torn on this issue. I really don''t want to give up the name on my law school diploma, on the articles I''ve written, and with which I''ve done all of my networking up until now to take my SO''s VERY generic name.

So, I think I''m going to hyphenate. The hyphenated name would only be three syllables and all of my friends like the way it sounds. I won''t mind at all if people call me Mrs.HisLastname in social situations. SO really wants me to take his last name but I keep telling him he should have married me sooner then. I think I would have been okay taking his name before I got my JD.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
My option wasn''t listed, because I don''t sign my middle name, but I''l be signing First name (or initial like I currently do) FI Last Name. I''m pretty excited about it, though it took several years to perfect my swoops on my name!
39.gif
LOL, just kidding.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:29:32 AM
Author: sunnyd
I''m pretty excited about it, though it took several years to perfect my swoops on my name!
39.gif
LOL, just kidding.
I know you''re not kidding, Sunny.
25.gif
... it''s okay - I do that too!
9.gif

I''m not sure what I''m going to do yet. I have a very unique and really long last name ... I don''t necessarily want to get rid of it so I may just tack on Fi''s last name. Uhhh ... decisions, decisions.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''m changing my last name to his. I loooove my maiden name and am not that thrilled with his, but eh. It''s just a name. My FI has a son we are parenting together, so it will be nice for us all to have the same last name.

I''ll be keeping my maiden name for my professional endeavors.

Seems the best of both worlds for me.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:01:35 PM
Author: Sparkalicious

Date: 5/29/2009 11:29:32 AM
I''m pretty excited about it, though it took several years to perfect my swoops on my name!
39.gif
LOL, just kidding.
I know you''re not kidding, Sunny.
25.gif
... it''s okay - I do that too!
9.gif

I''m not sure what I''m going to do yet. I have a very unique and really long last name ... I don''t necessarily want to get rid of it so I may just tack on Fi''s last name. Uhhh ... decisions, decisions.
You''re gonna tack on his name too?!? Man it''s gonna take you 3 minutes to sign your name!! Hehehe just joking!
3.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock

Date: 5/29/2009 1:36:01 PM

You''re gonna tack on his name too?!? Man it''s gonna take you 3 minutes to sign your name!! Hehehe just joking!
3.gif
No. Seriously. At a minimum.
38.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:45:25 PM

Date: 5/29/2009 1:36:01 PM

3.gif
No. Seriously. At a minimum.
38.gif
LOL, do they let you sign your first name then an initial, like in school when there was more than one "Anne"?
9.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:54:20 PM
LOL, do they let you sign your first name then an initial, like in school when there was more than one ''Anne''?
9.gif
Tee hee hee. Let''s hope ... I especially hope that works for official documents. Man my hand gets sore already when I have to sign stuff ... I can''t imagine what it will be like once I supersize it.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
first name, dropping my maiden name (i am no longer in touch with my father), keeping current middle name as middle name because i love it, taking fiance''s last name.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I just gpt our JDs last week (yay!) and we actually talked about this last night at dinner. I wish that my married name would be on my diploma and Bar certification, but alas it won''t be. I guess we could have moved the wedding, or just had a civil ceremony to get the legal stuff done, but I think people understand that your name changes.

anyway, I''m dropping my last name. I love how my first and middle name sound together. PLus I already have to deal with confusion b/c my step-dad is who I consider my dad even though we have different last names, so when networking I already get lots of strange looks when people realize I don''t have his last name. Taking FI''s last name will actually simplify it all since now I don''t have to deal with the family different name issue.

I already decided that even (heaven forbid) FI and I don''t work out, I''m keeping his name or at the very least changing to my step-dad''s last name. I want my last name gone.
35.gif

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I actually like my name (first and last, I don't really care about using my middle name), not for any pithy reason though. I kinda want to hyphenate, but I'm also LAZY and don't want to go through the hassle of changing all my documents. And yes, it is a hassle if you've ever been to any government office in Louisiana. You practically have to bribe the DMV clerk just do to their job; I'm not sure there is a bribe amount that will actually get you any customer service either. /endrant

Actually, now that I think about it since I never use my middle name I might use FI's...if I can summon the will to get my stuff changed.

This won't change how I officially sign documents as I have a signature that is half illegible and I'm not giving up my perfected swoops!
3.gif
It would only change how I print/type official forms that require a middle name.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I did not have a middle name, so I kept my first name and my DH last name.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I''m ditching my maiden name for my FI''s surname.

So I will siign with my christian name, my middle name then his surname.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:26:11 PM
Author: Aloros
I'm changing my last name to his. I loooove my maiden name and am not that thrilled with his, but eh. It's just a name. My FI has a son we are parenting together, so it will be nice for us all to have the same last name.
Ditto! I love my last name and I'm not crazy about his but I want our kids to have the same last name as both of us. I'll give up my maiden name as it's not a big deal to me
21.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of new last names...My Fiance''s last name is Kao (pronounced "cow") and my FSIL''s name is Rhoda...

SHE HAS THE BEST MARRIED NAME EVER!
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to be Elizabeth MarieMaiden FI''sLastName.

My maiden name is a common female first or middle name, so it''ll work.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:22:59 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Ohh so you''re combining Marie and Maiden into one name? That is neat!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:26:51 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Date: 5/29/2009 11:22:59 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Ohh so you''re combining Marie and Maiden into one name? That is neat!
Yup! I''m glad you think so! I hope it works out ok. I guess that means I''ll have to write my initials EM_ though. I''m actually looking forward to changing my name. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results