shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you choose your wedding date?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
So far, I only have mild preferences...

My strongest preference is for our anniversary date, which is exactly a year from now, and also a Saturday!
30.gif
The problem with this is that we are both eloping and having a party/reception later... so, would we use the date for the elopement, or the after-party??? It seems a little weird to wait a year to elope privately...

we also have another significant date that is in April and on a Sunday, so maybe we could get married then, and have the after-party in September? but I''m not sure if that is too far apart? Would that seem too weird?

I also LURVE autumn, so a Fall weding would be my ideal, but other than preferring fall, I don''t really care about the season. It just gets confusing because we are doing two events. *sigh*

Doesn''t help that I am insanely indecisive.

How did you pick your date? Any tips or suggestions?
28.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
we picked 11/14/09 because we wanted a november wedding and that was the only open date at the venue lol
later we found out that it is the same day fi''s great grandparents got married which is special :)

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
We picked 04/04/2010 for a number of reasons, hope this helps!

- Our wedding is on Sunday due to religious reasons
- So therefore wedding had to be on a long weekend (makes things heaps easier for guests)
- I have always wanted to get married in April
- It is as close as possible to our anniversary 10/04/2010

Everything else was arranged around this ie. venue was picked based on availability of this date.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I thought about doing our (dating) anniversary as our wedding date, but it fell on a Wednesday in the summer, and since I wanted a beach wedding, I didn''t really want to gamble hurricane season and sweltering heat, so I gave up on that.

Ultimately, we ended up picking Dec. 23rd because my husband is in the military, and doesn''t really get to just request time off, even for a wedding. In years past, if he was stateside he always got the week of Christmas off, so we took a gamble that it would be the case when we were married as well. Quite frankly, if at any moment they had changed their mind and needed him to work, I would have been SOL, but luckily they didn''t need him so we took our wedding/honeymoon that week of Christmas. It was certainly not ideal, as it was the most expensive week of the year at the resort we chose, but it was as close to a guaranteed date as we could get.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
We picked 4/17/10. There was no significance- just a practical date.

1. It''s before graduation, so my friends will still be around
2. It''s not Easter or any other major holiday or social event
3. Our venue was available that date
4. The weather is not too hot, not too cold & flowers are in bloom (South Carolina)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Practiality and a little superstition picked our date.

First off, the month depended on when we could both get holidays.. March 2010 and then looking at the Saturday dates in March FI chose the 13th because it was his dad''s lucky number.
1.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
1) first and foremost, we picked dates we DID NOT WANT. it COULD NOT fall on a home Ohio State football game. that would be really bad news. so we went with the lamest away game- indiana (sorry hoosiers). stupid OSU had to make it a night game...rarely happens.
2) it could not be on a weekend that the Cincinnati Bengals are home. his mom might ditch the wedding for the game, along with all of his friends.
3) i was converting to catholicism, so we needed to wait at least until that was over with- from sept. to april!
4) we are paying for most of it ourselves, so we needed time to save up the $$$
5) i love love love fall colors, and wanted to be able to include them. summer in ohio is always hot and stormy, winter you never know what to expect, and spring rains all the freaking time. at least with the fall i could count on the leaves changing, and this year they are changing early due to the cold summer- yay!

so trill, i''d say go with whatever you like. if you aren''t partial to anything, think of it this way- this is one "holiday" you get to celebrate for the rest of your life. so make it a day YOU want. since my wedding date doesn''t fall near any "gift-giving days" (neither of our birthdays or christmas)- its another excuse for FI and I to buy each other something- hopefully something that sparkles and rhymes with smoolery.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
We picked 10th of July 2010. Its nice to have a wedding on this date: 10/07/10 LOL yes, i like the symmetry. Also because I have younger brothers and cousins who want to attend from overseas and July is their holiday month from primary/secondary school!

Also, July is the only month in Aus where Cymbidium Orchids bloom and I want to have them in my centrepieces and decorations.
3.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Originally, we picked 10/15/10 (Friday), but was really not feeling the whole fall thing. I honestly thought the venue would be cheaper in October, which is why we originally had that date. Then, we moved it to 8/20/10 (another Friday. We chose Friday because it was cheaper) because we wanted a Friday (cheaper at the venue) in the summer. My aunt and mom decided that having people try and travel to the wedding from Philadelphia would be a nightmare on a Friday (The wedding is 45 mins from the beach, and everyone goes down on Friday afternoons, so the family was worried we''d have a lot of travel issues). My aunt offered to pay the difference to move the wedding to a Saturday, so we did so.

Our final date, 7/31, ended up being the only day the venue, photog, DJ and makeup artist were available, so 7/31 it was.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 8:55:49 PM
Author: charbie
1) first and foremost, we picked dates we DID NOT WANT. it COULD NOT fall on a home Ohio State football game. that would be really bad news. so we went with the lamest away game- indiana (sorry hoosiers). stupid OSU had to make it a night game...rarely happens.
HAHAHA! I thought about this too! We may be doing our event in LA, and we are both USC Alums!
23.gif
I would skip my OWN wedding to be able to go to a game!
9.gif
OMG, if they had a night game, it would MAKE MY LIFE! I would go... in my dress!

FIGHT ON!!!!
11.gif
27.gif
12.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
We picked our wedding date of 9/11/10 based on the historical significance of that date to my FI and us as a couple as a result of my FI''s military career, as well as it being the same as my parents'' anniversary and my late grandfather''s birthday.

I always wanted to get married in September too. You can *usually* count on decent weather for an outdoor wedding in Chicago in early September too! Now watch, it will monsoon...

Oh, and Charbie, no offense taken on the IU jab!! Even as an alum (undergrad), I still pretend we don''t have a football team! Ha!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 10:24:51 PM
Author: trillionaire
Date: 9/8/2009 8:55:49 PM

Author: charbie

HAHAHA! I thought about this too! We may be doing our event in LA, and we are both USC Alums!
23.gif
I would skip my OWN wedding to be able to go to a game!
9.gif
OMG, if they had a night game, it would MAKE MY LIFE! I would go... in my dress!

FIGHT ON!!!!
11.gif
27.gif
12.gif

GO BUCKS!!!!! even as a very very proud alum, i''m scared for this weekend. i''d skip my own wedding as well if it were this weekend for the OSU/USC game- lol! trill, we are on the same page!

Seriously though, I cannot even begin to tell you how many people asked me who OSU was playing once they found out our wedding was in football season. We got rave reviews when we told people who we were playing, and everyone was very pleased we were so considerate of Buckeye football. But that honestly had a huge impact. Crazy, huh? Well, probably not for you- college football is the best!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 10:55:07 PM
Author: MagsyMay
We picked our wedding date of 9/11/10 based on the historical significance of that date to my FI and us as a couple as a result of my FI''s military career, as well as it being the same as my parents'' anniversary and my late grandfather''s birthday.

I always wanted to get married in September too. You can *usually* count on decent weather for an outdoor wedding in Chicago in early September too! Now watch, it will monsoon...

Oh, and Charbie, no offense taken on the IU jab!! Even as an alum (undergrad), I still pretend we don''t have a football team! Ha!

that is very sweet for how you picked the date. most people would shy away from 9/11 (people talked crap about my bachelorette party being that day)- i think its important to celebrate that we have moved forward as a country. very special.

chicago- L
30.gif
VE that city!!!
and i mean, at least you''re honest about IU football. i think there are more OSU fans at the home IU vs. OSU game.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I wanted the date to be neat so each number had to be 1 or an even number. Apart from that I did not give a hoot.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
We picked the only long weekend that was in winter :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our date was the only one that we could get in our venue so that''s how our date was picked. I wouldn''t see a problem getting married in April and having the party in September if that''s what you''d like to do.

daught3rofEve

Rough_Rock
Our first date was April 11, 2009 (the 3 and one half anniversary of us being together), and when that was shot out of the water (FI was hospitalized from late september to early DEcember 08'') I wanted a September date....
I chose the September 19th date because it just felt right, and also 9/19/09 sounded pretty cool to me... and so when I told my grandma, she was like OMG OMG OMG you''re getting married on my BIRTHDAY?!?!?! HOW WONDERFUL!

lol. She was SO excited, and I was like, Well, no wonder why I automatically gravitated towards that date.
She also asked me if we could put candles on the cake (jokingly, of course) But I will actually buy a "question mark" candle
11.gif
to put on her piece of cake.

OH! Something else, FI owns a pool service and chemical store, and fall/winter is his slow season. It made it easier to take time off for him.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
We could really only get married at the end of May, or end of December beginning of January because of FI''s school schedule. We originally looked at May because we wanted an outdoor wedding but we had a hard time finding the perfect place, plus his family didn''t really like the idea of May due to other family events going on that month. So I decided I loved the idea of a holiday wedding and wanted to try to do Jan 1st or December 19th but places were already booked for that date so we ended up with December 26th.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results