shape
carat
color
clarity

*Fun* Registry Items??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
My shower is coming up soon, and thus the items on our registry have come under discussion between FI and FMIL. She basically said it was boring. Not in a bad way - we have most of the usual stuff on there and lots of things we would love to have - but she''s expressed to him that it''s just not the kinds of things she wants to get us. What types of atypical items are/were on your registry or did you receive as wedding gifts??

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
we don''t really have anything to *crazy* on our registry. we have some camping things, but that''s about it i''m pretty sure. i''ve heard a lot of criticism of registries that have things other than household necessities on them and for whatever reason i was super conscious to be as inoffensive with our registry as possible!

just tell your FMIL that while it isn''t on your registry that you would love ______. what type of gift does she want to give you guys??

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been wondering about this as well... it's so funny, because I hear a lot of "Well, I don't want to get you something boring" AND a lot of "I wouldn't buy anything non-home-related for a wedding gift."

So I take that to mean that the happy medium is borderline frivolous household items: decorations, nice sheets/duvet covers, serving pieces, etc.

I think everything on our registry will be fun to have! I'd bet that no one wants to buy the plastic trash can, but it's there because we need it. (Example purposes only, we don't actually have a trash can on our registry...) I guess the most atypical items aren't even all that atypical... a bar muddler (mojitos, woo!), a cake tester with a little cake on the end, this cool recipe cocktail shaker... They're not out of the ordinary, just specialized.

I'm no help
40.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to "regular" items, we have board games, camping gear, and a kegerator! I don''t really worry about people being offended. If they don''t want to buy us one of our "fun" items (that''s what we call them), they don''t have to! It''s just a list of suggestions.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
FI says his mom wants us to think of her and his dad whenever we look at their gift, and she doesn''t want it to be something that makes her picture me stuck in the kitchen all day. I have to laugh at that, because I love cooking and some of the things I''m most excited about on the registry are the kitchen things. Maybe she just wants their gift to stand out? I''m at a total loss of what to suggest! What gift is not boring, not the usual household stuff, and something you''d keep forever and look at with fond thoughts of the giver??

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t want to register, but our families threatened to give us money if we didn''t register, so we did it bedgrudgingly. We registered for pregnancy tests (one had a mini microscope?), a portable toilet, night-vision goggles, men''s underwear, a nascar watch, a $6,000 TV and 1 set of dishes, haha. We got 2 sets of those dishes! My family called me outraged, haha, so I decided to register for a few more "normal" things.--maybe 3? We got a lot of (wonderful) things NOT on our registry!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 9:47:16 PM
Author: ladyciel
What gift is not boring, not the usual household stuff, and something you'd keep forever and look at with fond thoughts of the giver??
A picture frame?
3.gif
It's hard, because most stuff you'd keep "forever" IS household stuff.

This thing is cool, albeit a bit cheesey, it's on our registry:
Wedding Keepsake Box

BTW, NewEnglandLady, your registry would be such a fun surprise to see as a guest!
9.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
We got all the electronics on our registry, including a digital camera and a tv! We also got all the camping stuff we registered for except for a cooler, and fun baking stuff was popular like cupcake carrying trays and different size cake pans.

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
I received similar comments after my first crack at registering - we put practical stuff we really needed on there and were reluctant to register for fun things we''d use but did not need. So we did add some fun things.

I put a Rowenta steamer on our registry and it was one of the first things purchased...it is such a luxury to have one and the giver said she was so excited to buy it for us b/c of that.

We also put a really nice fondue set on. And a whole sushi setup (nice chopsticks, sushi plates, soy bowls)

We''ve also received a few fun gifts that we didn''t register for: a sorbet/ice cream maker, some great cook books, a wine tasting kit.

I guess these suggestions aren''t too out of the ordinary but they are more fun than pots and pans!

Oh also I put on a cupake carrier, sprinkle sets and some other fun baking decor which people liked to give.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been hunting all sorts of gift idea sites to try and get ideas, and I stumbled across these pillowcases. I think they''re too cute! You can find them through amazon, so onto the registry this set went (they have a bunch of different ones)!

all_my_love_for_you_pillowcases.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results