shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

saturn

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got a question, and I thought you ladies might be able to help!
My fiance is Chinese, and I am Anglo-American. For our wedding ceremony, I am planning on wearing a big white American-style dress. However, for part of the reception I was thinking of changing into an Asian-style dress.
Now, I know that the traditional color for a Chinese wedding dress is red, but my color scheme is green and pink and I don''t want to clash. Do you think I could wear a gold dress instead? Pink? Or would any color besides red just defeat the whole purpose?

The night before the wedding, FI''s mom is hosting a big Chinese traditional banquet. I will probably wear red to that party, (unless that''s a bad idea) but I''m thinking I want to wear a different color at the reception. The bridesmaids will be wearing green, and I don''t want it to look overly Christmas-y.

Any opinions?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Saturn! I''m in your same situation! What I was thinking of doing is wearing my white wedding dress during the (small) ceremony and (equally small) post-ceremony reception and wearing my cheongsam ONLY at the Chinese wedding banquet. I guess I''ll have to check with my soon-to-be-fiance''s family though, in case they really do want me to change at the ceremony reception? But that''s going to be a lot smaller and pretty far away so I think most of his family will probably only come to the banquet anyway. As I said, I''m not Chinese myself, but looking at websites for wedding cheongsams I feel like there are a fair number of gold or pink ones so I would think that might be okay? Or if you could get one that was majority gold but with a lot of pink accents and a little bit of red or something like that that would still HAVE red, but not clash too much with your colors. Be sure to let us know what you decide!!!

Also, just because I love it, here is my dream cheongsam from Shanghai Tang (even though I''m pretty sure I won''t be able to justify spending $400 on this in addition to my white wedding dress
1.gif
)

shanghaitang_cheongsam_b.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Also, have you looked at custom sites like www.chinesetailor.com and www.efushop.com? They have tons of different designs which you can have made in any one of their fabrics!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
What about two toned?

I completely realize this is not the style - just using it as a visual for color comparison.

cb4000purp.jpg

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve ordered a chinese style dress from efushop before. They have great service!

I was actually going to get a cheongsam made with this neckline on the top, and have the bottom with a trupet skirt that can bustle in pink tapestry silk, but decided that I''m not going to wear one after all (I''m getting married in Hawaii and it''s kind of hot for that kind of dress).

Redcheongsam.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
saturn - I would def wear the red dress for the night before. why don''t you ask your FMIL what she thinks... to feel her out. Red is the traditional color, but if you''re wearing the night before and having a Western reception, I don''t think it will matter too much... I would go for gold and red accents or something. Acutally, come to think of it, my wedding colors are pink and black, but I''m definitely planning on wearing a red cheongsam for the reception. Didn''t even occur to me the color clash thing. Oh well. REally, you''re the only one who will notice...
9.gif

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
albicocca!!!

I love shanghai tang.

It was first introduced to me last year on my trip to Hong Kong!! So stylish!

Saturn, what a great idea to incorporate both cultures...I''m sure your fi is touched by your thoughtfulness!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shanghai Tang has the most beautiful fabrics....their clothes are so beautiful.

If you would like to wear pink, you can do that too. Wearing red is traditional but even my mom wore pink for her cheongsam at her wedding. I was going to wear pink too.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should wear a gold one. You won''t clash with your color scheme, but rather add to it, you won''t have to worry about making sure the pinks match and you won''t look too matchy-matchy. And also I love gold cheongsams so i may be a teensy bit biased!
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results