shape
carat
color
clarity

Card Box - do we need one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Do people still bring cards to weddings these days? I''ve seen some really cute ideas on websites that use birdcages as card holders. Should we create some sort of card box? Is it really necessary? What are you doing? Ideas are welcome
1.gif

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve noticed card boxes at most of the weddings i''ve been to. i know my sister got a lot at her wedding 3 years ago, my guess is that it would be a good idea just in case. you don''t want cards full of cash wandering away just because guests don''t know where to put them!!

i like the idea of the bird cage. sounds kind of cute!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
everyone brings cards to weddings in my area, so i think it's a good idea to have one for sure.not only do guests know where to put them, but it also deters crasher-thieves from walking off with them. it doesn't have to be a box....any sort of container/holder would work. birdcages are super popular, i picked one up in the bridal aisle at joanns for like $16 or so.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone is going to make one for the wedding. Probably me. John''s can''t wrap to save his life. I wouldn''t spend a lot of money on it though. I wouldn''t spend more than the cost or some pretty wrapping paper and some bows on it though, personally.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Make one or just get a box at Michaels!
I was Johnny on the spot for friends'' wedding this weekend and there was no box and the gift/guestbook table was sort of in a public area, so the cards got stuffed into my bag...not ideal.

I saw a guest hand the groom a card right after the ceremony, but before the bride and groom walked back up the aisle, so they were standing for that first moment as husband and wife and someone handed them an envelope...because there was nowhere to put the envelopes when guests came in. No that is a worst case scenario and if my DH chose that moment to hand over the envelope, I would strangle him, but there should have been a place for envelopes. This is speaking from a New England perspective, where there will be envelopes, so perhaps not applicable for other regions.

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! Looks like its time for me to get crafty.
9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i didn't have one. but i did have a card person. i asked my cousin to keep an eye out for loose cards and she also held on to our dance money. one less thing for us to worry about or make.

eta: we didn't have a large wedding. 100 people.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
We had a card box and it was pretty full by the end of the wedding. Many of our guests generously gave us checks, gift cards, or cash. Some who had already sent their gifts simply dropped in a thoughtful card. So, I definitely recommend a card box/container.

MIL wanted to particpate in the wedding preparation so I asked her if she would like to create the card box. She is super crafty but tends toward the extravagant, frou-frou side (I'm more clean lines, simple design). So, I wasn't surprised when the card box turned out to be COATED in lace, ribon, and faux-pearls. Was it my style?Not so much. But did MIL enjoy participating and showing her enthusiasm/love through her work? You bet. And hey, and I got a card box for free while pleasing MIL at the same time... SCORE!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
The last wedding I went to had quite a few cards, so a clearly identified place to put them would probably be wise.

Another friend of mine wanted to go a different route than the traditional wrapped box or birdcage, so I suggested a mailbox. She seemed to like the idea. They have some relatively inexpensive ones at Home Depot. You could probably leave it as is, or get creative with paint and decorations to better suit your personality/wedding colors...

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
We made our card box two days before the wedding and it turned our really nice- and was super easy to make. We bought one of those clear basketball display boxes at the container store, routed a slot on the top (I wished after the fact that we had done it on the front side so that we could have made a bigger bow), and then spray painted stripes on it with a frosted glass spray paint so as to look like ribbon going up all the sides. We then made a bow out of ribbon in one of our colors and had it on the top. I saw something similar online for $150 and it cost us about $25 total. I''ll post a picture later when I get home.

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 10:10:10 AM
Author: aprilcait
We had a card box and it was pretty full by the end of the wedding. Many of our guests generously gave us checks, gift cards, or cash. Some who had already sent their gifts simply dropped in a thoughtful card. So, I definitely recommend a card box/container.

MIL wanted to particpate in the wedding preparation so I asked her if she would like to create the card box. She is super crafty but tends toward the extravagant, frou-frou side (I''m more clean lines, simple design). So, I wasn''t surprised when the card box turned out to be COATED in lace, ribon, and faux-pearls. Was it my style?Not so much. But did MIL enjoy participating and showing her enthusiasm/love through her work? You bet. And hey, and I got a card box for free while pleasing MIL at the same time... SCORE!

LOL! I wonder if I can get my MIL to join in on the fun of making a card box
27.gif

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 11:32:38 AM
Author: sap483
We made our card box two days before the wedding and it turned our really nice- and was super easy to make. We bought one of those clear basketball display boxes at the container store, routed a slot on the top (I wished after the fact that we had done it on the front side so that we could have made a bigger bow), and then spray painted stripes on it with a frosted glass spray paint so as to look like ribbon going up all the sides. We then made a bow out of ribbon in one of our colors and had it on the top. I saw something similar online for $150 and it cost us about $25 total. I''ll post a picture later when I get home.

I would love to see pictures! Thank you!

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 11:17:27 AM
Author: parrot tulips
The last wedding I went to had quite a few cards, so a clearly identified place to put them would probably be wise.

Another friend of mine wanted to go a different route than the traditional wrapped box or birdcage, so I suggested a mailbox. She seemed to like the idea. They have some relatively inexpensive ones at Home Depot. You could probably leave it as is, or get creative with paint and decorations to better suit your personality/wedding colors...
That''s a great idea!! It seems we are at Home Depot every other weekend - I''ll have to check out thier mail boxes. We are having our wedding at a winery, so maybe I could get crafty with some grape stencils.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results