shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone who eloped, how much was photography?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I''m having a hard time.

Photographers charge one thing for normal photoshoots, and another thing entirely for weddings. I get that... they are very involved, and there are tons of things to take pictures of. Friends, food, preparations, the couple, the ceremony, the reception, etc.

Well, FI and I are just going to the beach and want to take pictures while we say our vows, and some pictures on the beach... nothing fancy. Maybe 1-2 hours max, if I turn into a Diva and want shots in every pose imaginable. However, all of the photographers that I have spoken to are quoting me crazy prices, just because it is a wedding. Very frustrating! I don''t need 8 hours of shooting, I don''t need 250 photos, and I''m not paying you $2,000 to take what amounts to little more than an engagement photoshoot on a beach.

Any suggestions or advice?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We eloped to Maui and booked a package. Our officiant and our photographer were $1500 combined. It included photos during the ceremony and about 30-45 minutes of shooting afterward. We were given a CD with roughly 200 raw images, 20 edited images, and had the rights to do with them what we liked. They are not as amazing as my friends'' that spent twice that, but there were some great shots and they serve their purpose.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen a few photogs that have special elopement packages, since it''s not as involved as a full on wedding. I''d ask around with some of your favorites. You''re only really paying for their time, so the price should reflect that.

The only issue I can foresee is if you''re eloping on a Saturday evening in the summer, they may not want to take the job, because they could potentially be losing out on that $2500 wedding, KWIM? Don''t worry though, you''ll find someone you love!!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I think no matter how involved it is, you are still paying for their time. Most photogs I have seen are a per hour basis no matter what they are taking pictures of. And at our destination wedding in the Riviera Maya, MX that could be from $400 to $1000/hr for the really great ones.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sunny and Sonny
3.gif
@ the matching names!

We are getting married on a Saturday, I was aiming for mid morning... enough time to eat breakfast together, and do make-up and get dressed, but nothing late... maybe 10ish at the latest? Perhaps even earlier to decrease the # of people on the beach. I do understand loss of business of for a client who will pay more, and I have been thinking about that as well. I would flex the date, but we''re getting married on our anniversary... and I have no idea how busy late September is for photographers.

I also thank you for listing who much you paid, Sonny, it helps with perspective. It just seems crazy to me to pay nearly as much as a full day of wedding photography for a fraction of the service. Maybe it''s just something I need to wrap my head around!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Is this a destination elopement? If so, try using someone local to that destination to cut down on the photog''s travel time. Also, Saturday is the biggest day of the week for weddings and from a business perspective, you are on a losing battle for saving money though I do understand the importance of the date in this situation. Weddings are big business and even though you are eloping, the photographers know what they can charge - especially for that day unfortunately.

I know the one that I am using for my wedding worked out to be about $2600 (including a 15% discount) for 6 hours, a wedding book, and a full CD with 20 edited images included along with an engagement session. She offers elopement packages that are much cheaper though. What city will the wedding be in?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:32:54 AM
Author: turboflgrl
Is this a destination elopement? If so, try using someone local to that destination to cut down on the photog''s travel time. Also, Saturday is the biggest day of the week for weddings and from a business perspective, you are on a losing battle for saving money though I do understand the importance of the date in this situation. Weddings are big business and even though you are eloping, the photographers know what they can charge - especially for that day unfortunately.

I know the one that I am using for my wedding worked out to be about $2600 (including a 15% discount) for 6 hours, a wedding book, and a full CD with 20 edited images included along with an engagement session. She offers elopement packages that are much cheaper though. What city will the wedding be in?
Right now, we are planning on Atlantic City, pending our visit in a few weeks. We''ve never been, but we like the idea, assuming that we don''t hate it when we visit. FI is inflexible on the date.
3.gif
We agreed together last September, but I''ve tried to move the date around to another significant date for us, and he is having NONE of it! lol.

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
We are eloping to Thailand. The resort is arranging a photographer who will take pictures and give us a CD at the end. it is $600.
Things tend to be much cheaper there, so I would think that to be a minimum to expect.

Engagement shoots often seem cheap, because the price listed (often $200-$300) is for a bride who is booking her wedding with the photographer as well.

How about a photography student or someone who takes pictures for a local paper?

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
When you go to AC in a few weeks, pay particular attention to the sun at the beach around the time of your planned ceremony. I''m not sure if the beach in your anticipated area faces due East but if you want the ocean in the background, the sun could be slightly behind you. Take a point and shoot camera and snap some sample pictures of each other. Although it could be a little tough, you may find you like the light at a slightly earlier time better than at 10am.

Treefrog

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 11:12:51 AM
Author: treefrog
When you go to AC in a few weeks, pay particular attention to the sun at the beach around the time of your planned ceremony. I''m not sure if the beach in your anticipated area faces due East but if you want the ocean in the background, the sun could be slightly behind you. Take a point and shoot camera and snap some sample pictures of each other. Although it could be a little tough, you may find you like the light at a slightly earlier time better than at 10am.

Treefrog
Thank you Treefrog, that never occured to me. Whereas the lighting will probably be pretty different in April than it will be in September, it will give me a helpful starting place! Also, I could check again when picking up marriage liscence stuff closer to the intended date. Perhaps if we plan our even early enough in the day, we can get a decent deal, since the photographer could potentially book multiple clients. I wanted to get married early in the day anyway, so we could walk around all day in our wedding attire and be MARRIED!
9.gif

Maybe FI and I will take a photography class together so that we can take picture of each other throughout the day, minimizing the time we will need a professional photographer...

wavyhair

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I are also eloping and the photographer we''re 99% sure we''ll be booking quoted us $3,600 CAD. I actually thought it was a fair price considering the fact that there is four hours of travel time each way, we''re getting two shooters, and (essentially), three different types of shoots (engagement shoot two months before the wedding, the actual ceremony, and a trash-the-dress shoot afterward).

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
We eloped in a gorgeous state park up in good ol'' Ar-kansas
9.gif

I paid $200 for the following:

We used an amateur photog who advertised his services on craigslist. I know, I know this could be a scary prospect but assuming you aren''t getting married in a dark, deserted alley things should work out fine. Trust me, he was just as concerned we were amateur photog serial killers or something luring him out to the woods
3.gif

We corresponded multiple times via e-mail ensuring we had all the details worked out. I got ~50 photos on CD with an artists release. We also talked on the phone just for confirmation. He drove to our destination and two days later came back with the photos and let us preview them. He did some artsy editing stuff like soften the edges and sepia tones and B&W.

This may not be what you want but amateur guys are looking to build a portfolio and usually have some previous work you can look at. If you describe the situation to them I doubt they''ll insist on charging some ridiculous price just cause the event is a wedding.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:28:37 PM
Author: annadragon
We eloped in a gorgeous state park up in good ol'' Ar-kansas
9.gif

I paid $200 for the following:

We used an amateur photog who advertised his services on craigslist. I know, I know this could be a scary prospect but assuming you aren''t getting married in a dark, deserted alley things should work out fine. Trust me, he was just as concerned we were amateur photog serial killers or something luring him out to the woods
3.gif

We corresponded multiple times via e-mail ensuring we had all the details worked out. I got ~50 photos on CD with an artists release. We also talked on the phone just for confirmation. He drove to our destination and two days later came back with the photos and let us preview them. He did some artsy editing stuff like soften the edges and sepia tones and B&W.

This may not be what you want but amateur guys are looking to build a portfolio and usually have some previous work you can look at. If you describe the situation to them I doubt they''ll insist on charging some ridiculous price just cause the event is a wedding.
I am a little dubious to go the amateur route, because more of the work looks, well, less than professional! Even some of the professional work I have seen looks like photos my sister could have taken after one semester of photography class! However, I might have to lower my standards since everyone seems to be indicating that the prices that I am being quoted seem par for the course.

I have only contacted local photographers, so driving time is not an issue. Also, I have an engagement shoot booked (got a great deal on Groupon.com... a $350 photoshoot for $50!), and TTD is not included. I would love to do it, but not at excessive cost.

Thank you all for your continuing input! You are really all giving me a lot of perspective and tons of things to consider/think about!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Trill - I know you're dubious about the amateur route, but it may be best. I've been following a blog for "Angelina Photography" (it's a blog, so I can't link). She shoots in the DC area, and she's new so sometimes she's hit or miss, but she's also taken some gorgeous shots. She'd probably travel, too, since it's not actually that far away.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I know a few of the people she's shot and they said her prices are pretty good (and we're all poor, just-out-of-college kids).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:43:11 PM
Author: princesss
Trill - I know you''re dubious about the amateur route, but it may be best. I''ve been following a blog for ''Angelina Photography'' (it''s a blog, so I can''t link). She shoots in the DC area, and she''s new so sometimes she''s hit or miss, but she''s also taken some gorgeous shots. She''d probably travel, too, since it''s not actually that far away.

Sorry I''m not more help, but I know a few of the people she''s shot and they said her prices are pretty good (and we''re all poor, just-out-of-college kids).
Thanks Princess, I will look her up, STAT :)

how do you even find good amateurs????

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Call a few photographers and ask first if they will do a location shoot on that date lasting 2 hours, and how much that will cost. If they agree and give you a figure, then explain that this is actually an elopement, but as it is only two people, if they can treat it as a location shoot and honour that price (or place just a small supplement on it).

They may or may not agree to this, but I would say a reputable photographer would understand and be flexible. It would also cut out those who are worried about losing business (because they wouldn't agree to the shoot in the first place).

I would emphasise to them that you aren't going to be too demanding - a lot of the cost of wedding photography is in the post-wedding production, as brides are typically much more picky about their wedding photos than someone wanting, say, a few baby pictures or landscape photos. It may also be worth trying photographers who don't usually do weddings.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:51:53 PM
Author: trillionaire

Date: 3/24/2010 12:43:11 PM
Trill - I know you''re dubious about the amateur route, but it may be best. I''ve been following a blog for ''Angelina Photography'' (it''s a blog, so I can''t link). She shoots in the DC area, and she''s new so sometimes she''s hit or miss, but she''s also taken some gorgeous shots. She''d probably travel, too, since it''s not actually that far away.

Sorry I''m not more help, but I know a few of the people she''s shot and they said her prices are pretty good (and we''re all poor, just-out-of-college kids).
Thanks Princess, I will look her up, STAT :)

how do you even find good amateurs????
No idea. I found her because BF was thinking about doing a photoshoot with his sisters for his mom''s bday, and a few people I know went to her.

You might also check the Knot - sometimes women over there are willing to try somebody new, and then you can benefit from their willingness to experiment.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
EEK!

I can finally breathe! Found someone whose work I like, who is VERY reasonable! I am still waiting to hear back from one other person... but this guy quoted me at a reasonable hourly rate, and he seems like a fun person to spend a few hours with anyway!

Very happy and excited! I can begin to relax now!
19.gif
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I was very frank about our needs, a little self-deprecating, but he was very nice about everything and very understanding.

*doing happy dance*

katamari

Ideal_Rock
We used a nature photographer for our Ecuadoran EPP/DW. We were much more interested in capturing the surroundings since we picked it specifically because of location. Nature photographers (at least the ones we/our planner contacted) charge by the shot, so we negotiated a $2 per shot price. He shot our wedding one day, spent the next day editing, and met us the following day where we selected the images we wanted to buy. We ended up with about 150 photos from our wedding (and about 700 to choose from). Ecuador has a more depressed economy than the U.S., so you might not be able to get off quite as cheap as we did, but thinking about other options might give you more options.

You might want to also consider, if there is a college with a solid MFA/DFA Photography program nearby to contact students. Some might not be interested, but others might be.

I think it is fine to try to negotiate with actual wedding photographers, especially since if you get your pictures taken early enough, they would have plenty time to shoot an evening wedding on the same day. Most wedding photographers in my area quoted price by hours and number of photographers. You could probably figure out a fair price from that, assuming you would only need one photographer for a 1-2 hours, and then either set that as the price you are willing to pay when you contact them or walk away if they quote you a much larger price.

ETA: Just saw your update. Congrats! Hope it works out!
36.gif
36.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 7:37:13 PM
Author: katamari
We used a nature photographer for our Ecuadoran EPP/DW. We were much more interested in capturing the surroundings since we picked it specifically because of location. Nature photographers (at least the ones we/our planner contacted) charge by the shot, so we negotiated a $2 per shot price. He shot our wedding one day, spent the next day editing, and met us the following day where we selected the images we wanted to buy. We ended up with about 150 photos from our wedding (and about 700 to choose from). Ecuador has a more depressed economy than the U.S., so you might not be able to get off quite as cheap as we did, but thinking about other options might give you more options.

You might want to also consider, if there is a college with a solid MFA/DFA Photography program nearby to contact students. Some might not be interested, but others might be.

I think it is fine to try to negotiate with actual wedding photographers, especially since if you get your pictures taken early enough, they would have plenty time to shoot an evening wedding on the same day. Most wedding photographers in my area quoted price by hours and number of photographers. You could probably figure out a fair price from that, assuming you would only need one photographer for a 1-2 hours, and then either set that as the price you are willing to pay when you contact them or walk away if they quote you a much larger price.

36.gif
36.gif
Katamari,

I really appreciate your post. My dream honeymoon is a trip to a Costa Rican Eco Lodge, and I never thought of if, or how I might want such an experience captured, but you have certainly given me something to think about. It might be my dream vacation, with a mere lowkey honeymoon this year for financial reason, but it would be lovely to capture that trip on film, and especially to have photos with us actually IN them, which is so hard to accomplish!

Also, Princess, the photog that you suggested is super, super sweet! She very reasonable, as you mentioned, and flexible too! I can''t thank you enough, I''m choosing between her and one other person
36.gif
She did ask who had referred me, but I can understand if you don''t have any names to give.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 8:57:52 PM

36.gif
36.gif

Katamari,

I really appreciate your post. My dream honeymoon is a trip to a Costa Rican Eco Lodge, and I never thought of if, or how I might want such an experience captured, but you have certainly given me something to think about. It might be my dream vacation, with a mere lowkey honeymoon this year for financial reason, but it would be lovely to capture that trip on film, and especially to have photos with us actually IN them, which is so hard to accomplish!

Also, Princess, the photog that you suggested is super, super sweet! She very reasonable, as you mentioned, and flexible too! I can''t thank you enough, I''m choosing between her and one other person
36.gif
She did ask who had referred me, but I can understand if you don''t have any names to give.

I''m glad you liked her! I''ve been a blog stalker of hers for a while. Tell her Sarah from Mary Wash sent you - we know each other tangentially, not sure if she''ll make the connection, but it''s worth a shot!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 9:54:37 PM

36.gif
36.gif

Katamari,

36.gif

I''m glad you liked her! I''ve been a blog stalker of hers for a while. Tell her Sarah from Mary Wash sent you - we know each other tangentially, not sure if she''ll make the connection, but it''s worth a shot!
I''ll certainly let her know! I''m so glad that you connected us
35.gif
Thank you so much!

katamari

Ideal_Rock

Katamari,

Oh my gosh, this would be a fantastic idea! DH and I went to an Ecuadoran ecolodge as part of our honeymoon (when you decide to go, let me know and I will gush, gush, gush about why this makes for an amazing vacation and tell you all about my experience), and it would have been fab to have a nature photographer with us -- and well worth it for both us and them, since we would have had better pics and most travel photogs make their money off of selling to post card companies, ad companies, or travel magazines. To inspire you to just book the dang trip already (DO IT!), here is a picture off the deck of our lodge near sunset:

kat.yachana.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results