shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Setting Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

taliaa

Rough_Rock

I am hoping someone can help me out with my e-ring. My ring size is 4 and I am very interested in a Pave setting for my princess cut diamond. The stone will likely be 1 carat +, and I am looking for something that will make the stone look its best. I don''t want the pave to extend to the underside of the band - not necessary - just on the sides.

My idea is to get a setting that is no thicker than 3 mm, but that tapers towards the center stone. Can anyone make any recommendations on design? Does anyone think that 3mm is too thick?

If anyone has any photos of a beautiful pave setting, I would really appreciate it. I have had a VERY hard time locating something I really like. I am trying to give my boyfriend advice as he is having the setting custom made.

Thank you in advance!

TA

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock

talia, if you do a search on pave. A bunch of thread will come up with beautiful settings.

For settings, a bunch of designers have them. Here are some off the top of my head

precision cut, michael b, dvatche has pave settings, tacori, www.artofplatinum.com

Are you going for a more antique style??

Is this what you are looking for??

gi_DV-822_f.jpg

taliaa

Rough_Rock

Hey Rough Rock...

Thanks so much for your response.

I searched the forums for photos already but I didn''t really find anything that jumped out at me. I think my problem is I am trying to find something that is simple and most of the pave i''ve seen is a little too busy for my liking. I just want to maximize the size of the stone with a simple design - perhaps something tapered.

I could probably draw out what I like, but I honestly don''t know how it will look since my fingers are long and bony. I haven''t been able to find anythign I can actually try on or even see in person - all the jewelers say they can make them with my direction - I just want to be sure before I commit to anything.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may find this_one interesting...
2.gif

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock

That''s a pretty one Valaria101.

Taliaa, when you mean busy are you referring to widith. I think if you go with one row like in Valeria''s pic, it is as simple. You mentioned 3mm, and most of those single row rings are like 2mm or less in width I think.

I don''t know where you are, but maybe find some designers you like and find the stores that carry them. That may help.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Hi there,

Have you looked at Michael B. He has gorgeous pave stuff. If you are looking for understated, try this one or this one. I myself decided to go with a 1.5 carat center stone and this ring and it is stunning. (or it will be when it is ready). If you want BLING, the three-sided Michael B. lace setting is totally the way to go. I have seen the 2nd and 3rd settings that I have listed and both are phenomenal. Michael B has excellent craftsmanship. His settings are high quality and unlike any other I have seen.

All three of these have stones that go all the way around the band. I think it adds to the whole look of the ring. I have tried on half paves and full pave bands. You definetly get an effect that is second to none when you have paved diamonds that go all around the band. The first 2 bands are very thin and delicate. The three sided pave is 2.5mm wide and is 2mm thick (paved on three sides).

I had to list these options even though they don't quite fall into your *specified* range. All prong heads could be made to showcase a princess.

Good Luck!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Narrow bands with tapered shanks aren''t as common as you might think, I ended up getting mine custom made and it''s not even pave. Just for grins, here is the gorgeous ring SixFive proposed with, 2.03 carat princess with pave band.

sixfive2K.jpg

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock

sciencegeek, you have been holding out. naughty, naughty.

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Gorgeous ring. So brilliant. I love it.

36.gif
36.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Oh, goodness. That''s not my ring, it''s SixFive''s!! I would never hold out on you guys! Mine''s at the FedEx station as we speak (type??). Fiance (!!) is getting it after work. I''m counting the minutes of course
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
You mean like this? This one is from Dahne and Weinstein. I would guess that your best bet would be to have it custom made... Very pretty style.

D8192..jpg

taliaa

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much for all your responses! This is such a great forum.

I tried on a 2mm band today and it seems a little too thin for my liking; granted it was just the setting with no stone. I am going to go with custom made; I am thinking of getting a 2.5mm just so it doesn''t look TOO delicate. I worry because I''d like to have photos to show the jeweler, not just a conversation about what I like - too much room for interpretation and risk of getting something I didn''t ask for. If anyone has any other suggestions or amazing photos of custom rings, I''d love to see them. In addition, do you think getting a wedding band that is a little thicker than the engagement band is a bad idea?

Yanekie25: Yes, when I refer to busy, I mean the width and the number of stones and the way the metal surrounds the stones - if that makes any sense. I love the one row, just like Valeria''s pic, but I think I might opt for a rounder edge....just seems like it might sit nicer. Since I haven''t been able to try any of these on, I really couldn''t say.

Fortheloveofdiamonds: That second photo is just breathtaking. The larger stones look so beautiful - its just that with a smaller stone, I don''t want the ring to look too delicate.

Sciencegeek: That is just stunning - brings me back to the same point - with a large stone, you just can''t go wrong with a single row pave; but with smaller stones, it just isn''t as nice. That band doesn''t look tapered though...but its beautiful!

Cushioncut: My boyfriend insists on a Princess cut, even though I told him a stunning radiant would do the trick...now a cushion or an ascher would be my FIRST choice, but I need to buy a house very soon...
25.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Taliaa:

The stone that is currently sitting in the #2 setting is a 2 carat monster, I tried it on as such and the diamond looked huge!! My husband said "that is a huge rock." Haha! but I decided against it because too because I thought it was *too* thin and I prefered the bling of the three-sided pave (I also thought it looked too busy on the picture, until I tried it on) I can only explain it as this.

The center stone is actually "floating" on a ring of diamonds. There is practically no metal showing and in the sun or any light for that matter, the stone just has wild flashing colors and it is just to die for.

The three-sided pave ignites and catches all light! Wait t''il the snow arrives and it will be like a solar eclipse.

Anyway....continuing on... as for getting a band thicker than your e-ring. I wouldn''t do it. I find that anything that doesn''t match will take away from the beauty of the e-ring, I also think that if they don''t match, sometimes it just looks like an "afterthought"... but that is just my 0.02 cents! The decision is ultimately yours. It is your finger!

41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results