Do you like fluorescence?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes
No

And if you''d like to explain why, please do. I''m interested in hearing from consumers and experts. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it for 4 reasons in this order:

1. Gives it that lovely blue-ish lavender tint under sunlight
2. Makes a lower coloured stone a touch whiter
3. A bit less in cost (only in higher coloured stones)
4. Fun fluoro to play with under UV lights

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/9/2008 6:20:51 AM
Author: Chrono

I agree, and especially the blue/ lavender/ pale violety tint you can see sometimes!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I do. I''ve so far only seen it in pictures, but if possible, I want a stone with some flour to it. I love how it makes the stones look in photos, and besides, how cool is it to have a stone that glows in the dark?!
10.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On high colours especially..., with the correct amount of fluo. (strong to very strong (no yellow))..., it would give a type of crispiness to the transparency of the Diamond!

In my personal opinion..., it is surely worth a premium! So as long as the Diamond market discounts those..., take advantage...
3.gif

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
I love it for all of the reasons already mentioned. I wish my diamond floursesced!

happyday

Shiny_Rock
Love Love Love fluorescence! I have a D strong blue fluorescent stone and I love how it GLOWS when I get in the sun.
Also love all the fun things it does in different lighting.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cushion is a g with medium fluor and I love it.
The lavender flashes in the sun are beautiful, and I love the way it looks under UV lights.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
When we were looking for my stone I purposely requested a stone with medium flouro :) I can''t wait till I get to play with it IRL and see the effect :) I do like the effect in the pictures :)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen a diamond with Flourescence but I do like the idea of it glowing in a nightclub!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a stone with med. blue for 30 years and had no idea it even had floro until I had a jeweler look at it one day when I was considering setting it in a 3 stone setting and he told me it had it! So let''s just say it had no visible effct on the stone as far as I could tell! I would be fine with getting another one if it discounted the price of the stone!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
My D-color e-ring stone has med blue fluor, and I LOVE it. Though I had only seen the effect in photos at the time, I asked my FI to do his best to get a stone with at least med fluor. The lavender color is lovely in the sun, and I find it gives it an amazing look of transparency/depth. It''s like the blue light lets you see all the way into the depth of the stone despite all the white/refracted light reflecting back at you. I went to a haunted house this past Halloween that had lots of black lights, and the effect of my glowing diamond was just plain fun.

Sarah@GOG

Rough_Rock
Yes. i took a diamond with strong blue FL out into direct sunlight for a customer to tell them if the blue was very obvious and it was. I thought it looked awesome and i bet it would look even cooler under black lights.
25.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/9/2008 6:40:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 5/9/2008 6:20:51 AM

I agree, and especially the blue/ lavender/ pale violety tint you can see sometimes!
Thritto, thritto, thritto!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! I didn''t know the fluor has so many appealing affects - my new stone will have med fluor and I admit this was one of the factors that helped me decide - now I can''t wait to see how it looks IRL!

lablover

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:14:22 AM
Author: Sarah@GOG
Yes. i took a diamond with strong blue FL out into direct sunlight for a customer to tell them if the blue was very obvious and it was. I thought it looked awesome and i bet it would look even cooler under black lights.
25.gif
I think, at least I am hoping
2.gif
, that Sarah is talking about the cushion that I just bought!!!!
9.gif
It is a 1.64 E VS1 cushion! I also took it into the sun and it had a beautiful lavender glow to it! In other light it has a PURE WHITE crispness to it that makes the stone extremely clear!!! In the end the fact that it had strong blue fluoro is why is chose that stone!!!! It looked like no other stone I had seen!!!!
30.gif

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Is yellow flouresence always a bad thing? If it says "medium " on the lab report, will it have a negative effect on the diamond, or only if it is strong?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see how yellow flourescence could ever be a good thing? Why would you want the possibility of yellow tint added to the stone''s true color? Unless it was already a fancy yellow and that could be interesting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/9/2008 3:43:42 PM
Author: Spirit
Is yellow flouresence always a bad thing? If it says ''medium '' on the lab report, will it have a negative effect on the diamond, or only if it is strong?
Having yellow flouresence is a GOOD thing in a fancy yellow coloured diamond, BAD in a white/colourless diamond.

Usually, when it is stated as faint, medium, or strong on a cert, it usually means blue flouro but it''s always good to double check that in a colourless diamond. It is very rare for strong fluoro to have a negative effect but it does happen. Sometimes the stone might appear milky or oily but you need to see the stone and judge this.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/9/2008 4:08:06 PM

Date: 5/9/2008 3:43:42 PM
Author: Spirit
Is yellow flouresence always a bad thing? If it says ''medium '' on the lab report, will it have a negative effect on the diamond, or only if it is strong?
Having yellow flouresence is a GOOD thing in a fancy yellow coloured diamond, BAD in a white/colourless diamond.

Usually, when it is stated as faint, medium, or strong on a cert, it usually means blue flouro but it''s always good to double check that in a colourless diamond. It is very rare for strong fluoro to have a negative effect but it does happen. Sometimes the stone might appear milky or oily but you need to see the stone and judge this.
Not always..., sometimes yellow fluo. gets a mistaken identity and should be identified as "cloudy"..., one of GIA''s mix-ups in their calling...
29.gif

kcgunesq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 7:58:54 AM
Author: DiaGem
[snip]

In my personal opinion..., it is surely worth a premium! So as long as the Diamond market discounts those..., take advantage...
3.gif
I agree. Personally, I'd pay more for fluorescence. Why? Because I think its cool and because it lends additional interest. That it usually results in a discount in DEF stones (~10% in a D to ~3% in an F, if I recall the chart I've seen correctly) is a super bonus in my opinion.

ETA: My wife's F color EC has med blue and I chose that diamond over others because of the fluorescence.

smooleys

Rough_Rock
So, why is Fluorescence discounted if most people want it? I''m having a hard time deciding to look at stones with or w/o it.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly dont know, I didnt know what it was when i bought my last diamond (6 years ago) and I just learned on here what it was, but I have not looked at diamonds since
38.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I like flourescence. I like it if it is faint to medium blue because I think it is cool in the sunlight. You see a tint of the blue, or at least I think I do. I don''t know about yellow as I have never seen it yet. I don''t think I would buy a strong flour. stone only because I heard that it is milky sometimes. I don''t know from personal experience if this is true, just from what I have read.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it, I love it, give me some more of it :}

Its not a big deal if a diamond doesn't have it to me but if it does its a bonus as long as its not yellow.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Love it!
Wish my stones had it!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 7:16:13 PM
Author: butterfly 17
I like flourescence. I like it if it is faint to medium blue because I think it is cool in the sunlight. You see a tint of the blue, or at least I think I do. I don''t know about yellow as I have never seen it yet. I don''t think I would buy a strong flour. stone only because I heard that it is milky sometimes. I don''t know from personal experience if this is true, just from what I have read.

Mostly myth. Very few stones (even with strong flour.) exhibit milky or oily effects. It''s actually a fairly rare occurrence. That said, all you would have to do is take the stone out in the sunlight and have a look yourself, or ask the vendor to give you their opinion.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/9/2008 7:10:22 PM
Author: smooleys
So, why is Fluorescence discounted if most people want it? I''m having a hard time deciding to look at stones with or w/o it.
I am working on an answer to that - it is rather complex, but really stoopid.

Most of the reasons I have discovered make no sense at all.

I hope to publish something in the journal section in a few months.

By preference my store would be full of fluoro diamonds.
Also I am OK with some diamonds that look oily in direct sunlight as long as they do not in cloudy or shaded daylight.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Now I''m interested in this topic because the side diamonds in my ring look very different to me, and an appraiser said they are about the same color & cut etc., but he did notice that one diamond on each side had very strong blue fluorescence, which he thought might account for the difference. Does this seem likely? Can 2 similar diamonds look very different due to this only? (They are 12 points & 16 points - on one side it was the 12 point diamond that had it, and on the other side it was the 16pt one that had it. )

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/9/2008 7:58:54 AM
Author: DiaGem
On high colours especially..., with the correct amount of fluo. (strong to very strong (no yellow))..., it would give a type of crispiness to the transparency of the Diamond!

3.gif

I was just going to make my own comment about why I love fluorescence, but this was so well stated that I had to quote it first.

As I said to a client yesterday in Detroit, I am in Boise, "Fluorescence is an extra gift of beauty the God puts in some stones. Out of doors they show this faintest hint of glowing blue that just looks somehow magical.

When I got into the business I paid a premium for these gems from my suppliers and proudly passed it on to my clients who loved the gems with that extra touch of beauty. When the investment craze hit in the late 70''s, people who were selling ladies shoes the week before were now selling diamonds from boiler room phone banks and had no clue what fluorescence was or how to explain it and it came to be viewed as a bad thing.

Wink

Note: I am well aware that somewhere below 1% of medium to strong fluorescent stones are what are called "overblues" and will appear oily. My comments above do not apply to these rare stones. I use the word stones intentionally, as these are not gems.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results