shape
carat
color
clarity

Your ring... what style is it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you (or your guy) chose your ring, did you go for a setting that is antique-style (deco, edwardian, etc.), classic and simple (solitaire on a plain or pave band), or artistic and unique (like Niwaka designs)?

Are you still in love with your original ring, or do you wish you''d gone a different direction? (Or did you already?)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
my ring is a bit of antique and modern with a radiant center diamond, but two thin split shank diamond bands. I still love the style of the ring...but I only wish it were bigger! DSS has set in.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Great topic! My e-ring was purchased and presented to me in 1969....
9.gif
And, the neat thing is, it looks relatively modern in it's 4 prong 14k twist type mount. I loved/love it! And was so excited to receive it. The diamond weighed .40 and for it's time, was above average size/weight for two college students. Platinum, popular before World War II had not regained the popularity it enjoys today and the average ering was made up in 14K during those years.

Years later, I had the diamond remounted into yellow gold.....but then, a few years ago, had it put back into it's original mount and am saving it in it's original box, complete with Christmas wrap, for our daughter.

Several decades and diamonds later....my two favorite rings now are my Lazare Kaplan in it's Plat Kaplan Rollover mount and my new Tiffany Lucida.

I love the Tiffany/Vatche X-prong mounts whether they cradle round stones, square, cushion...etc.

The pics of members rings on PS in these mounts always get my attention
1.gif
and.....to answer one of your questions, were I selecting an ERing today....I would very likely go with the same type of mount....the X prong style or I would select a style with baguettes. Possibly, the Vatche X prong with baguettes inset on the shank.

My Lucida has it's own recent thread on PS to illustrate that type of mount but also....below is a pic of my Lazare Kaplan Rollover mount......the stone is 4 prong set between two rolls of baguette diamonds.

1kaplan.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
This IS an interesting thread!

My set is a recent re-set... fishtail pave, with my same center stone (AGS-0 2.36 RB). We have decided that it is a "vintage modern" style
2.gif
-- I think it is classic and timeless.

I ADORE it, and have absolutely NO regrets. When I cruise PS and see all of you guys'' GORGEOUS settings, I love and enjoy them all... but I have yet to see anything that I would rather have. My rings still make me *swoon*!

57YAYa.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original e-ring is a Tacori engraved antique-style ring with baguette side stones and a center round. At the time (2000), the engraved and antique look was super-hot and I was so happy to have chosen one for myself. I still love my ring because of the meaning behind it and also because it looks antique, as though it could''ve been made during the early 20th century. However, the ultra-thin halo''d pave look that is very popular nowadays has got me wanting to "cheat" on my original setting.
9.gif

I also have a 3-stone e-ring (got it earlier this year) that is very simple and classic looking, with a center round and pear sides in a simple basket setting. One reason why I love it is because it''s timeless and will always look beautiful regardless of the era. It''s also clear from the quality of the craftmanship that it will stand the test of time.

I told my DH that he should set his expectations low right now: I am very likely to re-set both of the stones in my two rings at some point during my lifetime. I''d love to set my Tacori in a very delicate square halo. And there''s a part of me that wonders how my diamond from my 3-stone would look in a Leon Mege pave number.
31.gif

But I totally understand how some people want to keep the same diamond in the same setting forever....there is a very special sentiment in that. If that''s the case, I would recommend a classic Tiffany solitaire setting, because that look will be gorgeous forever. And if you want to change it up, just experiment with different wedding bands!

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is an art deco reproduction ( halo) with an asscher cut diamond. I still love it after 2 years and get a lot of compliments. I actually got the halo setting before it was "trendy" and was a little upset when it started to pop up in every bridal mag a few months after I got my ring. So now I am sure my future children will feel my ring is "sooooo 2005"...oh well...

As far as the asscher goes...i sometimes wish I had choses a cushion or even a classic round or sometimes an emerald cut solitaire ( which was always my dream ring)....

someday when my hubby and I are old and rich ( one can hope), I would like a 3 stone anniversary ring with one of those stone shapes. But for now, My e-ring and wedding band are perfect to hold me over!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, my original was a rb stone in a plain solitaire. But I upgraded in a year to the pear I have now. I put it in the same setting (just changed the head) till I could find something I loved.

Something I loved...turned out to be a vintage inspired halo on a thin band. Do I still love it? Oh yeah. I love it. I''m sure someday I''ll change to something else...I''m not particularly sentimental about the stone or the setting.
2.gif
Some days I think it would be nice to have a ring I could wear 24/7 and bang around instead of being careful with it...but what I love about the ring is it''s delicate look so I just have to deal.
5.gif

IMG_1379.JPG

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
By the way...
My hubby is super sentimental and very VERY sensitive about upgrading or changing the setting, EVER. He has made it clear I am never to touch this ring, he would be too hurt. So changing this setting is never an option, I like how he is so attached to it!!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I want to change my setting all the time! I have a RB solitaire and am always swayed by the 3 stone look -- a la KristyDarling or Kaleigh. But then again, I really love Mara's or Lynn's set the most. It's so hard to decide! I love asschers and cusions, too! Pears are starting to grow on me -- FireGoddess has my favorite so far!

So many options...
30.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby bought my original set which was a sapphire in yellow gold. Very 1980''s but nice. I then went on an antique phase and had a family diamond set in a white gold setting with sapphire sides. For my recent upgrade, I decided to go traditional, got a sapphire and diamond band to keep to the original theme and an authentic 1.5 ct Tiffany classic solitaire. At least this one will never go out of style
41.gif
I think I''m done with the wedding set upgrades and will move on to upgraded earrings next
31.gif
Of course, who knows what tomorrow will bring. Hubbys friend recently ended an engagement and I''m going to look at some jewelry he is selling that the ex never got. Hmmm earrings may be in my future after all!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
WTNLVR is there a thread on your ring?! 1.5 Tiff, wow!

KD that is neat to hear the story of your setting changes. Where did the solitaire in your avatar enter the picture? All your rings sound great! I''m like you, kinda addicted to change. Although, I changed to the x prong a year ago and have NO regrets - still loving it. The size compliments my stone and my hand well.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring is antique-y 3 stones. When I get an upgrade (not really an upgrade because I want to keep the original e-ring and it''s not going to happen for a while), I want a solitaire on a micro pave band. I do like those Niwaka designs too, but they just don''t accomodate larger diamonds. I like all three styles for different reasons, so it was probably better than DH picked out the ring by himself. Otherwise I would want everything. hehehe.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a 3-stone, RB center with marquise sides. They are set in a basket setting with a slight tapered cathedral profile, with little cuffs on each side. The setting in 14k palladium WG. I suppose it could be called a "modern" and "unique" setting.

PhotoRoxane013.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring now is a Tiffany setting, classic with tapered baguettes, an emerald cut. I had a really pretty three stone emerald cut ring from Tiffany''s before that, both in platinum. My first ring, the e ring my dh gave me when we got engaged, was in a yellow gold modern setting and it was not my style or taste at all, but changing it had not even occured to me and I lived with it for ten years. Once the notion of upgrades occured to me, watch out!!!

CT026

Rough_Rock
Hi there- We both decided on a classic x-prong with solitaire. Although we upgraded, the setting style remained the same. I do think pave style bands are very pretty, but I''d prefer to get an eternity ring for my right hand down the road.

It''s nice to see such a beautiful and varied array of rings on this site; gives me ideas for the future!
1.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
My husband proposed to me with a heart-shaped diamond solitaire e-ring. We upgraded to this antique-looking cushion halo.

cushion 2360.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
My ring is the classic E-ring... well... it would be if I did NOT have any diamonds in it..

Otherwise it is MINE style.. you know?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizz, how stunning! What did you do with your original stone?

Mine, LOVE your comments! It''s MINE style...perfect!

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
My original ring was a classic solitaire, but I wasn''t happy when I got it.. So after 2 mths, I managed to get my FI to change my setting into a halo and I love it!
16.gif

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
My style is definately simplistic. While I can see the beauty in Pave, baguettes, and halos, for me I prefer three stones, solitaires etc. My wedding set now consists of a three stone princess truffle ring and a 5 stone princess truffle band. I also wear princess diamond studs. I am working on a right hand ring now and it''s going to be a pear solitaire (damn that Lindsey Lohan!). in the future I want a solitaire necklace and a tennis bracelet and then I will be done... with diamonds that is. Maybe I will be a little mroe adventurous when I start to build my colored stone collection :)

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondfan, I still have the heart-shaped stone. It's in my jewelry box. I cannot bear to reset it into a pendant. When I'm feeling really sentimental, I wear it.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring is simple... modern yet classic. Solitaire in x-prong setting... it is exactly what I wanted! When my husband, then bf, was looking at rings, he thought that what I wanted was TOO simple. He wanted to get me more bling (
31.gif
) -- I think he was considering some sidestones. That said, once he realized that it made more sense (plus easier and less expensive) to just get what I wanted, he went ahead and bought what I had essentially picked out
28.gif

Of course, when I started looking at all the PS pictures (*after* we were engaged), I realized all the possibilities out there and I have started getting all googly-eyed at all the beautiful rings everyone has...
30.gif
I realized that I really really like all different kinds of diamond shapes and settings!

At the end of the day though, I really do love my ring and probably won''t change it for a long, long time, if ever.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I consider my ring to be antique-ish, which is what I was going for. I agonized over the setting to choose for my e-ring ( I picked it and the diamond out myself). I spent countless hours on PS and in jewelery stores looking for something that would knock my socks off. I never even considered a marquise. But when I saw a setting similar to the one I ended up with in a Baily Banks and Biddle store, I knew immediatly. While I had gone through loving other settings in my search, I was never so immediatly in love with any of them, as I was with that one. I drew up sketches and had WF complete the ring. I would change nothing and I still get excited when I put it on my finger.

loveititit.jpg

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Jazmine, I love your new ring!!! It looks like Catherine Zeta Jones''!!! You should start a new thread for it!!
30.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Mine''s an actual antique ring from the 1930''s with an OEC. I loved niwaka (how I found PS) but in the end this ring just suits me so much better. I wouldn''t trade it for the world. Although I do get a mini-pang when I see lucida rings.
2.gif
I wouldn''t trade my e-ring for one... but maybe someday an anniversery present for my right hand?
31.gif

closerring.jpg

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Sorry Jazmine...I didn''t realize I had posted in the other thread too!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went the classic, plainish route with mine (3 stone RB) but went a tad antiqueish-looking with the wedders, one band either side with some engraving over the top and three tiny diamonds in each. I like the mix
28.gif

ERing2WBs.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My original engagement ring was a tiffany style 6 prong ring. 10 years later my new ring is a tiffany style 4 prong. I recently had put together a 3 stone ring. Hmmm....kinda all the same classic design. I like the simplicity of rings. Maybe for my 20th, I''ll pick something ornate.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I told my DH (when he asked) 4 yrs. ago that I wanted a RB set in a plain, traditional setting, and that''s what I got...I never went "ring-shopping" with him, and he proposed to me with a 1.5c RB in a plain, platinum setting. I love it, and we found a very nice WB to go with it. Now, it''s not necessarily what I would''ve chosen had I gone shopping for rings and wedding bands, but at the time he proposed, I was so overwhelmed and didn''t think I "deserved" anything else!!!
9.gif
I was just so in love with him, and so in love with my diamond that I didnt'' even think of anything else. Now that time has passed, I can think of a million different ways to set my diamond/change my WB, but until the thought comes to his mind on his own, I won''t press the issue. That''s just us, and I know in the future he is the type of man who will want to put something bigger and better on my hand...again, this is just us.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results