shape
carat
color
clarity

workinghard`s future fiance`s ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Well,@here are some pictures in styrofoam and on my pinky, I havent given it to her yet though. Ignore my terrible looking fingers though. They don:t really look to bad in real life, but oh man do they look terrible from this close up in the pictures....

Now, there is actually a mistake in the ring that has me really irked. But I dont think I can get it fixed right now. Maybe if I have to get the ring resized for her I will try to get it fixed then, and I may try to drop it off at a jeweler when we get back to America, but the only place I have found that would help me out here in Japan referred me to an eyeglasses shop that will take one month to fix it...anyway, let me know if you can see the problem with the ring, aside from small scratches, and let me know what you think. I am not really 100% sure how I feel about it, its nice, and I think it will look great on her hand, but I think I may have overpayed a bit for the ring itself. It is a palladium shank with platinum prongs for 400$...maybe too much, but oh well. Let me know if you +

think it is decent, like it, think it is pretty, think it is beautiful, love it a whole lot, or so on, but be honest, dont be nice just because its abought and paid for
2.gif

(ll post the pictures with the mistake on it in a different room, maybe rocky talky? to see if getting it fixed is reasonable and what kind of danger it would pose to the security of the diamond, prongs, and so on.)

as to the diamond, it is .61ct E VS2, the room is badge which is giving it a more visible wamrth than normal and the only light is a fluo overhead.

atada11111.JPG

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring!!!!, "workinghardforsmallrewards" but also known as "workinghardtogetperfectringforfiance" She will love it!! Feel free to post brief info on specs, cos I don't want to have to search for it (lazy me) Anyway--a big congratulations to finally getting that rin on your pinky!

I had a somewhat difficult time capturing the arrows...perhaps because I didnt know how to set macro mode until about 100 pictures into it, so I had gotten tired of it by then, picture with a loupe can be irritating...especially when worried about scratching her fathers camera lens...

arrows11111.JPG

oops, I left out the picture in styrofoam, not exactly romantic but I mentined it in my original post so here it is
21.gif
last one though, sorry for so many! Oh and in particular let me know how you feel about the taper, worth the effort and extra expense it took me to get or just a nice thing to have but not really a big contributer to overall beauty?

a2myring11111.JPG

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It is a beautiful ring. I love the setting. Just to let you know, finding a stone between .50 and .75 is really quite hard. I have been trying to find a stone in the .60''s range with little luck. But I think you did an amazing job and she''ll love it!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
WHFSR - I love it. Not just saying it. I really love the setting the way the shoulders are built up a little. It reminds me of the shoulders on the 6-prong traditional tiff setting. The stone looks lovely too.

I think it looks like a perfect balance. The size of the stone, the size of the ring, the shank width - it all seems to come together.

Congrats! oh and I can''t see the flaw. When will you propose?

a

Date: 7/30/2007 12:29:51 AM
Author: angeline
WHFSR - I love it. Not just saying it. I really love the setting the way the shoulders are built up a little. It reminds me of the shoulders on the 6-prong traditional tiff setting. The stone looks lovely too.

I think it looks like a perfect balance. The size of the stone, the size of the ring, the shank width - it all seems to come together.

Congrats! oh and I can't see the flaw. When will you propose?

a

Thanksfor your nice comments. I will be proposing on august 7th, still trying to work out the details though. and believe me, the diamond looks fantastic. I cant wait to get a camera and some sunlight and take some fire pictures. and I was riding an escalator in a hotel while inspecting it once , and it was probably the most glorious I have ever seen it, def giong to get some pics on there, though I am going to look ridiculous as i will try to get a few with the loupe as well. lol, I will look very funny.

And thanks gothgirl, it took a bit of time, but it is very nice. you will be happy with a .6 I imagine, not too small, though obviously bigger is almost always nice as wellI@

the next step for me is going to be finding her one of those half way eternity bands, I think it would look beautiful right behind this one, though because of the prongs I guess she might have to wear a spacer...but I would love to see one of thsoe sitting behind this one on her finger! but I am also excited to see what this one will look like on her finger as well, probably much better than on my pinky
2.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Nicely done...it looks great!

I can''t see the flaw either...can you add a link if you posted it elsewhere?

Date: 7/30/2007 2:13:13 AM
Author: Harleigh
Nicely done...it looks great!

I can't see the flaw either...can you add a link if you posted it elsewhere?
Follow this link

I have to head out though, my time at the media cafe has expired. I am excited though, going to go and peruse the big jewelery stores in Tenjin Fukuoka shopping district! should be exciting. And hopefully get this bad boy cleaned and polished up a bit. Everybody post, even with negative input as all criticisms are appreciated, so I have some stuff to read next time I get online!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi :) I could see the flaw you refer to in the other thread. I would hold off and give her the ring and then see about having it either fixed or replaced with a setting of her choice.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a pretty ring. Simple, classic, love it.

I did see the flaw, but I don''t think I would have seen it right off had you not mentioned it. I probably would have later on down the road after staring at it a lot, but that''s just me. Some people might never notice it.

I agree, give it to her, discuss options, and let her decide what to do.

Good luck!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I think you did a great job! Very pretty diamond and lovely setting, it really compliments that diamond well! Good job!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond and the setting look very very pretty in these photos. You did GREAT!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty ring
9.gif

I will tell you waht, I wasn't totally sold on the ring until today when I went around trying it on with some half eternity bands. WOW, she is def. getting one of those:) talk about something special....absolutely amazing to watch, I don't know how any woman survives without it.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 11:18:08 AM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
I will tell you waht, I wasn''t totally sold on the ring until today when I went around trying it on with some half eternity bands. WOW, she is def. getting one of those:) talk about something special....absolutely amazing to watch, I don''t know how any woman survives without it.

I LIKE the way you think! Now to convince dh of same thing....
21.gif

Date: 7/30/2007 5:05:11 PM
Author: angeline
Date: 7/30/2007 11:18:08 AM

Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards

I will tell you waht, I wasn''t totally sold on the ring until today when I went around trying it on with some half eternity bands. WOW, she is def. getting one of those:) talk about something special....absolutely amazing to watch, I don''t know how any woman survives without it.

I LIKE the way you think! Now to convince dh of same thing....
21.gif

hummm, i bet if we put our heads together we can find a way to trick him into it. I know that originally I wasn''t thinking about bands like that, I just assumed it would be a simple more traditional (in my region) metal band. But recently I have had my attention drawn to the sparkle and shine of other people''s rings, I saw someone whos fingers looked exceptional in comparison. I was eating with my gf and I kept seeing flashes come from across the room at another table, on close inspection I determined her center diamond was probably, based on a walk-by, to be about half the weight of mine. But what was really catching my attention was the occasional broader flash of the center stone combined with the constant sparkling of her wedding band, which wasn''t a half eternity band exactly but was very similar. On seeing how much visual difference it made I decided to check it out next to my ring, and wow, it was like they came alive when put together. never a dull moment. So if we can just think of a way to get him interested for a day or two, connections with something he already enjoys, etc...I am positive that once he starts to notice a few sparkles on stranger''s fingers on his own he will be easy prey.

Date: 7/30/2007 2:36:17 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Hi :) I could see the flaw you refer to in the other thread. I would hold off and give her the ring and then see about having it either fixed or replaced with a setting of her choice.

Well unfortunately a replacement would not be an option for me right now
14.gif
totally drained of money and no income at the moment. But I will tell you something, I am not sure because I haven't exactly gone out looking at settings individually. but I met one jeweler who told me he would not repair my ring for me but that he would custom make me the same setting in all platinum for 75,000 Yen. That translates into about 630 USD. Knox charges 890 for the same ring, and these guys were going to custom make an unfamiliar design for me! lol, I have a suspicion metal rings are a good bit cheaper here. That being said I found a .5ct H VS2 "Hearts and Cupid" with a simple platinum ring going for 6,528USD and that was the cheapest ideal cut I saw at that ct weight in a setting. I looked at some loose diamonds that were not "hearts and cupids" but just ideal cut, and they had .6 H VS2 for 4,032 USD, and a .6 D VS2 for 5,711 USD and a .67ct E VS2 for 5,700 USD. You wouldn't even believe me if I told you how many G color VS2/1 clarity .5ct diamonds I saw over 7,500 USD in simple platinum solitaires. Unbelievably expensive, Ideal cut H&C(A) .6ct g-f vs2-1 diamonds frequently went over 1million yen (about 8,500-9,500 USD) and these are actual selling prices. I can't wait to get an appraisal done. lol. I also saw about 100times as many .15-.2ct center stones yesterday than I have seen in all of my diamond shopping in America. They sell small diamonds here, thats for sure

but back on topic:

honestly, I think this ring design is exactly what she is looking for. In everything in life she emphasis simplicity, very simple understated clothing (when I met her she loved to wear gray, thank god that has passed) and just in general, always emphasizing simplicity. Then when combined with the half eternity band I think its going to compliment the lack of side stones in this one really emphasizing that simple yet elegant appearance, and it should be exactly what she wants, traditional and beautiful. if I can make is straighter anyway...I don't really want to point it out to her, but if we go to the jewelry reform fair together the day after I propose, I may have to, but it looks like the only chance I will have to get it fixed. ugh, I am nervous about that one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is beautiful! The diamond is outstanding and I think the setting is perfect for her, from the way you describe her. I love how hard you''ve worked to pick it out for her, too!

As far as the issue in the other thread, definitely get it repaired where you bought it! You don''t want them to tell you "too bad!" when you try to return it after another jeweler has already worked on it. That usually voids whatever warranty the vendor offers on the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results