shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this 1.20ct ungraded diamond?

lorelis

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!
Already posted this on another thread but didn't get any replies (Seems a bit dead over there!) so I figured I'd give it a shot over here :angel:

I found a few lose diamonds in my parents belongings and was considering using one of them for my engagement ring.
I don't know ANYTHING about diamonds and to my untrained eye it looks pretty (very sparkly, which unfortunately does not show in the images). I haven't gotten it graded at yet, and could not find any papers on it. I went to a local jewellery store to check and make sure it was a diamond, which they were able to confirm.

It's quite white in color (especially compared to the others that are "greyer" to the tone.
The thing is, getting this diamond set would really save us a pretty penny.
However since it is so white (cloudy? Florescent?) in color, I was wondering if you guys thought it would be smart to get it set? I would love to see it in a delicate halo setting, but worried it would not look as good once in the setting. I read somewhere diamond aren't as sparkly when set in a ring due to less lighting being reflected.

I also posted about this diamond on weddingbees and got a ton of negative feedback about it looking like it has " a ton of visible inclusion" and that they would "never ever use the diamond as en engagement ring" as it is so blatantly flawed etc. :(sad

What is your opinion? Is it really that bad? Should I even bother with it or just look for a new ring? I feel so silly because I look at it and think it's pretty but other people seem to think it looks like crap.

Just hoping to get some insight from more experienced diamond experts

Thanks in advance to anyone that take the time to answer! =) img_8574.jpgimg_8567.jpgimg_8565.jpgimg_8566.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trust you know that it is a diamond, otherwise you would be getting a lab report !

I suspect you could judge whether a top notch cut - judging by standard criteria - is worth that much more to you, or simply this one works nicely. You'd need to see what you might be missing, to know what you are getting.

Disclaimer: I have terrible taste ...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if you love it and you feel good about it then wear it. Not everyone needs perfection in a diamond and since you
have a family stone that will help you out, I see no reason why you shouldnt use it. You can always choose to replace it in the
future when money is not an issue.

I think you should take it to an appraiser and learn more about it. You can find appraisers under the "Resources" tab. You should
find an unbiased appraiser (like the ones listed) and not one that sells diamonds/jewelry.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to ascertain much from those pics.

Ultimately, it's going to be your ring so if you are pleased with the diamond then go for it.

diamonddemon

Rough_Rock
I agree that it's very hard to tell anything from those pics. All I see is a white blob of light wich is not a bad thing. Try to post photos that are much closer and in different lighting.
I also notice that you did not posted the one photo you posted on the bee where it was somewhat apparent that the diamond has black inclusions.
If it where me I would use the diamond, because it's seems that you love it so why worry about what other people think, plus it's free!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't ascertain anything from those pictures. Take a picture outside in the shade, and try to get an in-focus closeup.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I agree with TY--that you should learn more about your diamond by getting an appraisal before having it set. Knowing what you have can only add value to the process--e.g. for insurance and setting purposes.

cheers--Sharon

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
do you know how old this diamond is? Like Circa 1950's or more recent?

From the (blurry) pics, it almost reminds of this jubilee diamond that Grace once had...is this what is looks like in person?

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-54ct-antique-jubilee-cut-diamond-gia-l-vs1#.ViAnzOec3N4

Re-iterating what everyone else has said, at least go to a good appraiser. Where are you located? I am sure folks here can reccomend a good place!

lorelis

Rough_Rock
Yeah I tried taking a few "clearer" pictures in sunlight, as like I stated on the post on weddingbees, I didn't think the pics I posted there really did the diamond justice :) It's difficult to take good pics with my cellphone! It definately doesn't have any black spots or such, I don't know why it looks like that in the old pics!

lorelis

Rough_Rock
Definately getting it appraised! The problem is I'm in Switzerland now, and won't be going back to my home city (Helsinki, Finland) for another month and won't be able to get it appraised til then :) HOWEVER I'm happy I posted here as the feedback is a lot better! It was actually a friend of mine that suggested I do it after seeing the feedback on the other site I posted on. Anyway, I feel a lot better now!

Tried taking a new picture (close-up) but couldn't get anything half decent with my camera phone. Oh well, fingers crossed! :)

lorelis

Rough_Rock
I actually have no clue whatsoever! I think my dad got it in the early 80s but no clue from who or where!
-Wish I knew more!
I'm located in Helsinki, don't know how many Europeans are around these blogs but if anyone knows a good place I'm all ears! :)

lorelis

Rough_Rock
I tried taking a few more pics but to no avail, it won't zoom properly. So I took some with the diamond next some of the other diamonds I have. Does anyone happen to know the name of the shape of the last one? I tried googeling and found "baguette" but mine is a lot shorter.

img_8706.jpgimg_8699.jpgimg_8707.jpgimg_8713.jpg

Excuse my nails, I'm a nervous biter :oops:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lorelis|1444979482|3938797 said:
Yeah I tried taking a few "clearer" pictures in sunlight, as like I stated on the post on weddingbees, I didn't think the pics I posted there really did the diamond justice :) It's difficult to take good pics with my cellphone! It definately doesn't have any black spots or such, I don't know why it looks like that in the old pics!

Sunlight does not show diamonds well. Overcast (shade) is the best lighting.

I can see it a bit in the comparison photos. It does seem very white. Bottom line: if you like it, use it!

lorelis

Rough_Rock
Will keep this in mind! The new pics I posted were taken in the shade if it helps :) No sun here today! :D

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think it's a pretty stone - I think you should use it if it's pleasing to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results