shape
carat
color
clarity

Wear brilliant & step cut eternity bands together?

CMJdoesDiamonds

Rough_Rock
So it looks like there's a viable contender for my engagement ring (I get to design it!). It's apprx 1.7 carat emerald cut either as a solitaire or with .05 rounds over 3/4 of the band. Very excited, hoping that this stone actually pans out!

However, thinking ahead to the future I had a concern and thought maybe PS had some insight. I want to (eventually) surprise my man with an eternity band for me to wear that is made of his birthstone (garnet) in addition to the band he'll know of. Though, I have never seen a garnet band that's NOT brilliant-cut stones, and I want my actual wedding band to be an emerald or asscher cut eternity band. My problem is I have no idea if it would look good to wear the brilliant cut garnet ring next to the step cut band. I'm not a particular fan of mixing the two stones together in one ring, so it would definitely be two bands.

So, if you wear a brilliant cut band with a step cut band PLEASE show me! I have been assured by others that it would look fine, but I'm terrible at visualizing.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi welcome to PS :wavey:

First off, your idea sounds lovely; however you need to visit the colored stone forum and understand the nature of Garnets and to be used in daily wear. Garnets are not that hard as diamonds, sapphires, or even spinels and I would not recommend using them as eternity bands especially for a man to wear who is probably much harder on jewelry than women are. Have you thought about perhaps just putting a tiny garnet inside the shank of the band instead just so you and him are the only two that knows its there. Some have done that and works out beautifully.

** oops** just reread it, that you want to wear the garnet eternity band yourself, but no matter, its still too soft of a material.

CMJdoesDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that info, I'll definitely check out the gemstone threads!
It looks like I may scrap the whole idea as I'm also not a fan of the 'hidden' stones. My end goal was to be able to wear my wedding band and ering either together or separate, and just wanted an idea of how it would look wearing a brilliant cut next to a step cut eternity as I've never seen it done IRL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results