shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Cushion Gurus - need your advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seattle12a

Rough_Rock

So I just purchased/reserved the following ring and need your professional help...or at least reassurance that I picked a good one! Thumbs-up? Thumbs-down? Concerns? Thank you!

Link: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6703

Here are the details:
August Vintage Cushion 1.63 ct G VS2
Length = 6.81mm / Width = 6.78mm / Depth = 4.63mm
Table % = 52.15
Depth % = 68.25
Polish = Exc / Symmetry = Exc
Price Range @ $12,000

Thank you!

Pic163gog.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are comfortable at that color and clarity then it is a good choice. You could go down in both color and clarity and either save money or get a larger stone. Traditional cushions are usually of lower color. And of course you can find eye clean stones of much lower clarity.

It just depends on what is available and on what you are comfortable with. My personal desire was to go for lower clarity but when I was searching that wasn''t available and my perfect stone -- in shape, and cut and size had higher clarity.

I am sure that the cutting on the stone you posted is stunning.
9.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, LOL! If it''s reassurance you need, you''ve chosen a beautiful stone. Please let us know what you do with it.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
The stone is beautiful, what kind of setting are you thinking of putting it in?

seattle12a

Rough_Rock
Hello gurus, thanks for your initial input! As you can probably gather, this is all new to me, I''m pretty glossy-eyed with the process, but forums like this are a tremendous help! It helps to receive validation from you guys since you''re in the know. I guess I struggled with going with the tried and true round/princess vs the vintage''ish cushion which I really love, but the prices are all over the board. It seems like the higher quality/clarity/color/cut are not the norm for these "vintage" (modern) cushions, so wanted to make sure I''m doing the right thing (and not spending unnecessary dollars)...I also struggled with the spending X amount on a perfectly good/great cushion (which it seemed most cushions were in this range) vs spending 4-5k more for an "excellent" diamond of the same size, but I guess that''s just the nature of things. I have to remind myself that I''m buying once, buying once (no comments from the peanut gallery please...ha).

As far as the setting (in my very quick research), I really loved "Boston_Jeff"''s Leon Mege setting for his 2.1 carat cushion, so kudos to him and his choice, and a kind request to copy him! I think it will look great with this diamond, but am open to feedback or other suggestions!

Link: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=347

It''s okay for my square cushion, right? Are my depth/table stats also okay for this setting? Also, in the GIA report, it lists "crown angles are greater than 40 degrees". Is this a bad thing or just an expected "cushion thing"? Does this also play into the setting choice or not a factor?

Thanks again,
Overwhelmed, but excited :)

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Looks like a knockout. Jon will not steer you wrong - I bought a cushion from him and it gets alot of attention. You are paying a little more for the VS2 over an SI1 which would probably be fine, but not a huge deal. A G will be whiter as opposed to warmer, what you prefer is a personal choice. I like ''em icy, I bought an E. The crown angle looks good, should have a nice vintage profile/crown height.

estro613

Rough_Rock
It''s a very nice diamond. Let me add that I''m actually the individual who had that very stone on reserve this past week. After visiting the store (GoodOldGold) I opted for a larger, warmer (K color stone).

But getting back to your diamond. It''s got great light return as you can see from the ASET image. The G color is great, looks nice and white, very very tough to see any color in it face up...... and the shape if you like cushions that are as close to square (like me) is great. The price is nice too.

Let me just tell you this though.....I''m not sure what your budget is but the 1.71 F SI1 on the GOG website, while only .08 carats heavier shows quite a bit bigger. The dimensions on the F 1.71 is 6.96mm x 7.32mm, and doesn''t look much smaller at all than the 1.85 J also on the website. The reason the F shows quite a bit bigger than the G you have on reserve is because it is not cut quite as deep. The 1.71 F has a depth percentage 66.64%, while I believe the G (yours) is a touch over 70%. Basically this means a little bit more weight of your G diamond is below the table compared to the 1.71 F.

But like I said that 1.63 G looks fantastic, just saw it the other day, so have no hesitations about it. The fact that it comes in at less than 12k on the wire makes it all the better! If money is not a matter though, I would suggest you consider the F because of what I discussed above.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
It''s simply beautiful. I love your idea for the setting and I believe that a square cushion will look just as good in that setting as Boston Jeff''s IMHO.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, Seattle. I wanted to add my 2 cents on the GOG Signature Cushions. They are cut beautifully and I really don''t think you can go wrong. I have followed Jon''s posts on their development and am lusting over one. Your decision to go with a quality cut is a wise one, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results