shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Valentina: 2.26ct OEC, fancy pink diamonds, and hearts.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured Valentine’s season would be the perfect reason to push myself to finally make this post.

As many of you know, I had been through many trials in 2014, and seriously lost “myself” through heartbreak again and again. There is a very sad story that started the beginning stages of designing this ring, by a rather well-known vendor whom I no longer am on good terms with. If you know the story, or recognize the style, please refrain from commenting here out of respect for me. I won’t go into details because it’s a long story, and a sad story, and today I’m celebrating happiness and the most important love: the love for myself.

Anyway, this ring started out as just an old European cut (OEC) diamond sitting in a man’s ring, inherited by a grandson who could care less for it. I “adopted” it in early 2013 and set it free from its ugly cage, selling the ring for its weight in gold. It’s 2.26 carats, and just a hair shy of 9mm. It’s warm colored—about an NOP range or so from my non-professional but experienced opinion. It’s very shallow, obviously, to be reaching such a diameter at such a weight. Because of this, there is some leakage around the perimeter of the table. It’s got a few chips that don’t bother me at all.

photo_2_128.jpg

piccloseup.png

picccloseup2.png

img_7010.jpg

I went from sketching little drawings of altering minute details, to cutting them out and “trying them on” for size. Changed ideas of single to double halo, and the placement of the hearts. When I made up my mind, I paid David and Amy a visit (David Klass Jewelry). I showed them the sketches, and they went into creating the CADs right away. We went through a few versions of CADs and David went hunting for fancy pink melee to match the exact color of my hearts that I brought in (even though now the different color of the metals, rose gold and white, now makes them look different).

5978-1.jpg

5978.jpg

img_9697_2.jpg

6607.jpg

img_9543.jpg

img_7018.jpg

img_7017.jpg

The finished ring is exactly what I dreamed of. Since the diamond is set higher, and a lot of light is entering through the gallery, the leakage is rarely visible. I’m so happy to have this OEC end up on my finger, a place where I can view it and admire it, instead of on my neck where only others can see it from a distance. The pink diamonds break apart the stark-white diamonds and the warmer colored OEC so that it doesn’t appear too warm and contrasted.

img_7023.jpg

img_7021.jpg

img_7026.jpg

I couldn’t think of a name for her for quite a while. And as many of you veteran PSers know, I name all of my things. I create lives for them, from their personalities (which is a huge reason why I’m into antiques instead of cookie-cutter all-the-same modern rounds). I have a rather cartoon-like head ;-).

img_7027.jpg

img_7031.jpg

img_7028.jpg

img_7030.jpg

The name Valentina means brave and strong. And feminine. It was my grand-aunt’s name. She was always a very independent woman who never married. She loved me very much, but she passed before I could see her again after I left the country I was born in as a baby. She called me often.

It’s a romantic name. And the hearts and the pink in the setting, and the antique center stone… they’re all very romantic. And it means strength and braveness—something I had to actively choose to be in my life after all the pain I endured. I worried so long about losing The One in my life, and thinking I would never find The One again, when all along The One had been right in front of me: it’s me. I’m my The One, not another man.

So this ring, Valentina, represents so much to me. It represents the ending of two relationships, and the strength and love I needed to find for myself to heal. It represents the love my grand aunt had for me across the oceans, and her independence that inspires me to be my own person. It represents rebirth, as the stone had had lives before me. And I’m so happy to share her and this story with you.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful story, even more beautiful ring! :love: Congrats on your Valentina!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a glorious ring, my blingy soul sister! I absolutely am enthralled with how it turned out! DK did a marvelous job.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful :shock: :love: :cheeky: ring and story. Gorgeous, and I love the unique design. Very pretty. :love: :love:

I love the big warm, OEC's too, and this setting is perfect. Nice that you put the pink next to the stone, so pretty.

Wear it in health and happiness. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very unique and personal project, thanks for sharing. :love:

I truly believe in one door closes another one opens, and that there is a silver lining in every cloud.

Embrace the future with an open heart and open arms, never say never, and be grateful with one's own fortune - it works for me.

Good luck!

DK :))

makeable

Shiny_Rock
Valentina is incredible. I've never seen anything like it. Thank you for sharing it and your story.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
A beautiful ring for a beautiful, strong, amazing woman! :love: I am thrilled that you decided to treat yourself to this ring, you deserve it!

The ring turned out great, David did a great job taking your design and making it a reality. :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More :)

img_7040_3.jpg

img_7040_2.jpg

img_7040_1.jpg

Fluorescence in those gorgeous fancy pinks!! :love: :love:

img_7040_4.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
m-2-b|1423871794|3832134 said:
Beautiful story, even more beautiful ring! :love: Congrats on your Valentina!

Thank you M2B!

Resonance.Of.Life said:
This is such a glorious ring, my blingy soul sister! I absolutely am enthralled with how it turned out! DK did a marvelous job.

<3 you ROL!

motownmama said:
Cool ring!!

Thanks MoTown :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1423872143|3832143 said:
What a beautiful :shock: :love: :cheeky: ring and story. Gorgeous, and I love the unique design. Very pretty. :love: :love:

I love the big warm, OEC's too, and this setting is perfect. Nice that you put the pink next to the stone, so pretty.

Wear it in health and happiness. :appl:

Thank you very much, iLander :) Yes, I was considering doing white melee inside then pink, and then considering a more affordable option of just using all white melee. I'm glad I went for the pink.

dk168 said:
A very unique and personal project, thanks for sharing. :love:

I truly believe in one door closes another one opens, and that there is a silver lining in every cloud.

Embrace the future with an open heart and open arms, never say never, and be grateful with one's own fortune - it works for me.

Good luck!

DK :))

Thank you DK. I'm finally starting to enjoy the sunshine through the clouds. Truly. I think 2015 is my year. I just won a beauty pageant this past weekend, and I will be graduating with my masters this summer. This year is going to be great!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
makeable|1423872225|3832145 said:
Valentina is incredible. I've never seen anything like it. Thank you for sharing it and your story.

Thank you, makeable :)

armywife13 said:
A beautiful ring for a beautiful, strong, amazing woman! :love: I am thrilled that you decided to treat yourself to this ring, you deserve it!

The ring turned out great, David did a great job taking your design and making it a reality. :appl:

Thanks Army!! He really did knock it out of the ballpark, didn't he? He really does aim to please. This is obviously no LM/SK/VC, but it is absolutely incredible for the price.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
I normally am not a fan of double halo designs, but this one has me impressed! :o

I think it's the pinks that make it work so well. Congrats on the new piece! :appl:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
First off, *big warm mental hugs*. There is nothing more beautiful than a person who has been through the ringer and comes out the other side stronger, and more self loving and self accepting. This is an incredible ring, with such rich history, and a wonderful future. I hope you may wear it in health, happiness, and love, always. <3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madelise, WOW. Valentina is a work of art. :love: Love her and she looks gorgeous on your hand.
You are a strong and beautiful woman on the inside and out and an inspiration to everyone. Hugs and best wishes for a happy, healthy and successful 2015. :appl: :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to see you and this absolutely beautiful ring here! :love: It is truly gorgeous, and I hope that only great things lie ahead for you!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful design and executed perfectly! Love it on you! :love:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Exquisite!! :love: :love:

Gorgeous & quite a story, a wonderful dedication to your dear Grand Aunt--thank you for your wonderful post with all the pictures, nice to browse through on this cold snowy evening! Wear Valentina in health & happiness!! :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every new picture is more beautiful than the previous revealing an inner beauty that shines from the inside out just like to owner/designer. This ring is exquisite and original and unique. Amazing. I can't wait to see it IRL Vegas baby!

Amazing!!! :love: :love: :love: :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the combination of colors in this ring are exquisite! They really compliment each other.

I admire your spirit and your desire to create something of a statement piece for yourself. I don't know the past history but it sounds as though you have a good handle on leaving it behind and forging ahead with a new life. Best wishes to you in all things that lie ahead for you and enjoy your beautiful new ring!!

Diamoneecee

Rough_Rock
Wow this is one of the prettiest rings I have ever seen. Pink heart shaped diamonds my absolute favorite...I'm Melting :love:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
What a beauty! And congratulations to you on getting through some tough times as such a strong woman. May your life be blessed.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madelise, That's is a beautiful ring!.. :love: :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that is such a gorgeous ring! I love every single thing about it Mandalise! I am such a heart girl! It seriously could not be more perfect. I am so happy for you! Its a perfect name for her too!

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous ring!! I love everything about it.. Thanks for sharing

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
I am so glad that you posted this! It is gorgeous and I just love how you took a stone that was neglected and unloved and a turned it into something new and beautiful that many of us are swooning over. :love:

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful story and gorgeous ring!! I love looking at all of your fantastic pictures of Valentina! :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Madelise, Your new creation is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm sorry you have been through a rough time. You certainly have come out of it a much stronger and confident woman. You should be very proud of yourself. What doesn't kill us truly does makes us stronger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results