shape
carat
color
clarity

Unsure bout halo asscher ring

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
i think from the sounds of it, u still like the look of a halo but just not how it turned out for your diamond. so i'm not sure if going the solitaire way is a good fit for u
you're looking for more of a distinction between the center stone and the halo but what you have now everything just looks mashed together.
what if you set it in a bezel so you have a line of separation between the halo and the center diamond.

yitfeng

Rough_Rock
Yes, I think you're right. A more distinct outline of the asscher and smaller melees might've made me love the ring more.. But I'll sure to research more before resetting it to make sure I end up with something I love. Maybe a vintage reproduction? :angel:

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
Your setting is lovely but I agree with you and others that the overall look is not harmonious. Have you seen this ring?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ericas-jaw-dropping-asscher-for-sale-can-it-be.138095/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ericas-jaw-dropping-asscher-for-sale-can-it-be.138095/[/URL]
If I had an asscher I would set it like that. I think the three stone look with baguettes is also a great look for asschers.
A colored stone would look really nice in your setting if you decide to change it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Live with it for a while and stay off Google and PS.

If it still bugs you, you may have a better as to why. Come back here and perhaps some of the links and comments here (or start a new thread) may be useful.

I love your asscher. Yummy!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love asschers in both halos and solitaires. However you might love halos and then be underwhelmed once it is actually on your hand. It is tricky business! Try on both and figure out which you prefer on your hand. It is completely different dreaming of a ring and trying it on!

MeganS

Rough_Rock
yitfeng, I am going through almost the exact same dilemma (and what a great one to have, first world problems, right?! haha)!!!! My center stone is a 1.72 emerald cut in a halo setting.

I am fortunate enough that my DH surprised me this December and told me he wanted to upgrade my diamond and took me to our jewelers. While we were there, he noticed a setting in the case (the halo setting I now have) and commented on how much he liked it. OF COURSE, we had them take it out and show us, then he further surprised me by getting the new setting as well! I loved it when I tried it on, I was just SO caught up in the sparkles from the halo. DH exclaimed, "where was this when we got engaged"! haha

But, in the back of my mind I had enough sense to say, "hey let's see the diamond in a a solitaire setting" just because I knew that my holy grail ring that I always go back to is a 3ct EC with tapered baguettes and maybe single or double claw prongs. The jeweler had a different cut set in something that was similar to the tapered baguette setting that I have always loved, and when DH saw it he immediately said it did nothing for him and at that moment I had to agree. So, I thought maybe only my holy grail 3ct EC (I know if a girl can dream, why not go bigger but that's the size I think looks the best on my hand) would look good in the tapered baguette setting on me.

We waited 2 weeks (halo was custom fit to my center stone) and my ring came in Dec. 22nd and I have been wearing it and loving it, but still torn...should I go back and de-halo it? I feel the same way as you! I keep looking at it and thinking, "does the halo take away from my center stone?", "does it get lost in the halo?", "would it actually look bigger set by itself, even though I would have less finger coverage?". We didn't purchase the halo because of finger coverage, we purchased it for style.

In the end I think I'm going to keep mine in the halo setting because I do love it. I think of it in this way... if you have children or pets or both... you love them all equally they are just different. Also, I think my DH would have his feelings a little hurt if I changed it. With all that being said, LOL, I am going by the jeweler today to have it professionally cleaned (even though I've cleaned it at home every day, haha). While I am there I am going to check just one more time that I am sure about this halo thing by trying on a solitaire ring with my same size diamond to make sure that it just doesn't totally change my mind. haha I can't help myself.

I hope my super long story helped you in some way, but I totally know how you feel! You've received so much great advice on here and in turn so have I, so thank you for this post!! Please keep us posted on what you decide and after pictures if you change the setting....of course!!!!!!! :)

yitfeng

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for sharing your honest opinions, advice and for just hearing me out :) it's hard to find asschers in London and if I were to do it again, I'd probably try out as many settings as possible before deciding on one.. But I was too eager to wear the asscher and got rushed into making a decision. I'll play around with the ring and see if it grows on me, if not... Maybe I'll find a yummy sapphire or emerald as the center stone instead..

You all have been fab and I'll be popping in to check out on all the super dreamy rings.. Lastly, have a wonderful New Year!! Hugs!

yitfeng

Rough_Rock
Thanks MeganS :) can I see your halo?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
yitfeng|1419962686|3809642 said:
Thanks everyone for sharing your honest opinions, advice and for just hearing me out :) it's hard to find asschers in London and if I were to do it again, I'd probably try out as many settings as possible before deciding on one.. But I was too eager to wear the asscher and got rushed into making a decision. I'll play around with the ring and see if it grows on me, if not... Maybe I'll find a yummy sapphire or emerald as the center stone instead..

You all have been fab and I'll be popping in to check out on all the super dreamy rings.. Lastly, have a wonderful New Year!! Hugs!
If you can find a gorgeous sapphire to put in that setting, more power to you! Then put your amazing asscher into a different and more simple setting, two for one.

MeganS

Rough_Rock
yitfeng, I'd love to share! Here are a couple of photos, I plan on getting the tripod out in the next couple of days and trying to take much better photos!

20141225_125653.jpg 20141225_125503.jpg

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful but if you are really craving a halo-less setting then start scanning the internet for ideas and see if you like something else better! If you don't then keep the halo until you find a setting you can't live without!

yitfeng

Rough_Rock
MeganS.. I really like your ring. It's gorgeous and the proportions seems to work for yours :)

MeganS

Rough_Rock
yitfeng, thank you!! And Hapy New Year!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your diamond is gorgeous. I also think you should live with the ring for a while and see how you feel about it. I think you should take your time if you do decide to change the setting and be sure of what you want. For now, it's a beautiful ring. I hope you grow to love it!

yitfeng

Rough_Rock
Lookinagain - my thoughts exactly :) Thanks

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful. I love step cuts in halos as I have an EC halo myself...

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...re-to-halo-my-ec-reset-by-david-klass.191840/

I agree with some of the comments that it would be even more spectacular if the halo was smaller. I am really beginning to love asscher halos now...even more than my own! :oops:

And I'll tell you, this is the ring that brought me over the edge! OMG...

sofia-vergara.jpg

eirwen

Rough_Rock
xsouzie said:
I think your ring is beautiful. I love step cuts in halos as I have an EC halo myself...

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...re-to-halo-my-ec-reset-by-david-klass.191840/

I agree with some of the comments that it would be even more spectacular if the halo was smaller. I am really beginning to love asscher halos now...even more than my own! :oops:

And I'll tell you, this is the ring that brought me over the edge! OMG...

sofia-vergara.jpg

xsouzie I love your EC halo.. I think halo looks better on EC compared to asschers, to be honest..

MeganS

Rough_Rock
eirwen, has your halo grown on you? By the way, I don't know if I ever mentioned previously, but I think it's beautiful!

I just wanted to let you know that I went to my jewelers and tried on a few emerald cuts (the same/similar size to mine) in my holy grail tapered baguette setting and plain solitaire setting and that completely erased any doubt in my mind...like immediately!!! LOL If you are still on the fence you might want to consider doing the same?

Hope you are having a wonderful New Year so far!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your halo, I think it looks O.K. Just remember when you are both trying on stones that a smaller EC or Asscher is not going to look the same with tapered sides as a 3+ carat will. Out of all of the options the three sided pave like Acinom's ring is my favourite.

eirwen

Rough_Rock
MeganS|1421011446|3814982 said:
eirwen, has your halo grown on you? By the way, I don't know if I ever mentioned previously, but I think it's beautiful!

I just wanted to let you know that I went to my jewelers and tried on a few emerald cuts (the same/similar size to mine) in my holy grail tapered baguette setting and plain solitaire setting and that completely erased any doubt in my mind...like immediately!!! LOL If you are still on the fence you might want to consider doing the same?

Hope you are having a wonderful New Year so far!

Thanks for checking back in MeganS, happy new year to you too! :) I'm still not 100% sold yet but I was thinking of trying out different settings on a asscher cut too. Only problem is asschers are so hard to find here!

eirwen

Rough_Rock
I was looking at antique asscher rings and came across this which is similar in size to mine, the setting looks very interesting.,

_25972.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
eirwen|1421051042|3815153 said:
I was looking at antique asscher rings and came across this which is similar in size to mine, the setting looks very interesting.,

Stunning.

MeganS

Rough_Rock
eirwen|1421051042|3815153 said:

That does look interesting! Ah, so many options!!!!

DeltaD

Rough_Rock
I love your Asscher halo! It is beautiful! As someone living in Lpndon who is waiting i pick up Her Asscher ring I know how difficult it is to find the right stone and get the right setting.

I understand the comments re the bezel setting (this is what I'm having done) but I don't think it looks like it needs if. With rings it is really a matter of taste. I for example love milgrain bezels but a plain one really doesn't do it for me.

Anyhow just wanted to say it's a beautiful ring and I hope you learn to love it!

eirwen

Rough_Rock
DeltaD|1423179606|3828011 said:
I love your Asscher halo! It is beautiful! As someone living in Lpndon who is waiting i pick up Her Asscher ring I know how difficult it is to find the right stone and get the right setting.

I understand the comments re the bezel setting (this is what I'm having done) but I don't think it looks like it needs if. With rings it is really a matter of taste. I for example love milgrain bezels but a plain one really doesn't do it for me.

Anyhow just wanted to say it's a beautiful ring and I hope you learn to love it!

Thanks :) I find myself loving it a bit more each day but am still not blow away by the setting.. The asscher, I love it! Would you post photos of your asscher once you have it? Would love to see it :)

Gusgus

Rough_Rock
Your ring looks beautiful! As the other forum members have mentioned, it ultimately is up to you on if you like it or not, but I think your concern is legitimate in that it takes away from the beautiful ascher cut. I think the best way to truly display a ascher is on it's own, like Puppy4248's beautiful ring.

Here's my dream ring (not mine but on my finger), this ring epitomizes why I love this cut so much!

_26702.jpg

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Gusgus|1423199166|3828147 said:
Your ring looks beautiful! As the other forum members have mentioned, it ultimately is up to you on if you like it or not, but I think your concern is legitimate in that it takes away from the beautiful ascher cut. I think the best way to truly display a ascher is on it's own, like Puppy4248's beautiful ring.

Here's my dream ring (not mine but on my finger), this ring epitomizes why I love this cut so much!

You posted my dream ring too! LOL! Maybe one day I can own a 5ct asscher .. I agree - I do think the best setting for asschers are solitaires or with small side stones. For the time being, I'll learn to live with my current setting as it was a pricey purchase as I went with the hand forged bench made option for the halo. Cost me £3k just for the setting..

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
Hi yitfeng, hope it's not too late for me to chime in here - I think your ring is very beautiful. I've seen some rings where the halo can overpower the center asscher or make it seem too busy, but I don't feel that way when I look at pics of your ring. It looks very nice to me!

To throw in another idea, what about a halo made of baguettes? I know some people don't jive with the look, and I can't speak to the price, but I happen to think it adds a bit of size and a nice vintage, art deco-ish look. Here is a link to a post and pics by Gypsy, that has a pic of a baguette and pave halo. I'm speaking towards the baguette halo part only: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-gypsy-or-mara.119991/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-gypsy-or-mara.119991/[/URL]

I also like the idea of an airline, maybe some separation between your center stone and the melee could have a nice look, too.

Good luck and please keep us posted! Whatever your decision, your center stone is beautiful and I don't think you can go wrong with keeping it as is!

PS - Thank you to LLJsmom, Diamondseeker and Gusgus for the nice mention!

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Puppy4248|1423260270|3828456 said:
Hi yitfeng, hope it's not too late for me to chime in here - I think your ring is very beautiful. I've seen some rings where the halo can overpower the center asscher or make it seem too busy, but I don't feel that way when I look at pics of your ring. It looks very nice to me!

To throw in another idea, what about a halo made of baguettes? I know some people don't jive with the look, and I can't speak to the price, but I happen to think it adds a bit of size and a nice vintage, art deco-ish look. Here is a link to a post and pics by Gypsy, that has a pic of a baguette and pave halo. I'm speaking towards the baguette halo part only: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-gypsy-or-mara.119991/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-gypsy-or-mara.119991/[/URL]

I also like the idea of an airline, maybe some separation between your center stone and the melee could have a nice look, too.

Good luck and please keep us posted! Whatever your decision, your center stone is beautiful and I don't think you can go wrong with keeping it as is!

PS - Thank you to LLJsmom, Diamondseeker and Gusgus for the nice mention!

Thanks Pippy4249, I don't think I'd go for a baguettes halo :) how are you finding your 4ct asscher?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results