shape
carat
color
clarity

The Many Moods of Little Green

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I recently bought a chameleon diamond that I have had set into a simple gold ring for summer wear. My 1.50 ct F VS2 set in platinum is great, but is too much ring for the hot weather and many summer activities. I have had a plain gold band for about 20 years, ever since my hands enlarged during my first pregnancy. We thought it was going to be just temporary, but when my knuckles stayed large, it ended up being my only wedding band for many years. Lately, I have been dreaming of getting a simple solitaire to wear with it. I remember how wearable my original 0.21 ct e-ring was.

Here are a couple of threads where I found (Link) this cute little green 0.50 ct SI2 Natural Fancy Intense Greenish Yellow "Chameleon" diamond. It has a modified pear shape and an IGI certificate. But it really is about the color changes. I have been taking pictures like crazy, trying to capture its many moods. I find this little gem incredibly fascinating, and am really enjoying getting to know it.

Little Green is at his most yellow first thing in the morning. I wake him up, and he begins to turn green. Here is the best photo I have of him in the morning. I set him next to my 1.50 F VS2 ring, because it has graduated yellow diamond side stones for you to compare the color.

PS01IMG_1462.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
In a few minutes Little Green is turning green.

PS02IMG_1488.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Fully developed green color. I asked my jeweler to set Little Green in a matching gold ring, to keep the head low, and to allow me to wear it with my channel set anniversary ring as well. I think he did a great job.

PS03IMG_1727.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a side view of the setting.

PS04IMG_1725.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how neat is that?!?! i''ve never seen a diamond like that, very pretty. green is one of my favorite colors, and your stone is a beautiful shade!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I am discovering that Little Green is at his greenest in natural, but not direct, sunlight. He is also green under flourescent lights, so I get to enjoy him looking green while at the office.

PS05IMG_1672.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
In direct sunlight, like many diamonds, Little Green gets very dark. Here he is looking dark brown.

PS06IMG_1675.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Little Green turns a medium yellow brown under incandescent lights.

PS07IMG_1652.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another sunny day hand shot.

PS08IMG_1854.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
From the side again, in the sun.

PS09IMG_1785.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Some flower shots. Hanging out with the black-eyed Susans.

PS10IMG_1801.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hiding in one of my "black-eyed Susan" daylilies.

PS12IMG_1809.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweet little guy. How cool is that? Changing colors with every mood. And I love that Little Green is a pear. Very nice and different! Little Green''s too cool!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a $10 UV light bulb at a local novelty shop a while back. Finally pulled it out to play with last night. The cert said that Little Green had slight flourescence. My jeweler said he had strong green flourescence. Judge for yourself. My 1.50 ct F VS2 has medium blue flourescence. My graduated yellow side stones come in many flourescent colors.

PS13IMG_1890.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I accidently took at flash shot at the same time the UV blulb was glowing. So here is another look at the diamond's flourescence.

By the way, the late RockDoc talks here (Link) about chameleons. He says they have a property called phosphorescence. Indeed, when I turned off the UV bulb, and looked very, very closely in a very dark room, I could see that Little Green was still glowing. So cool!

So, I hope you all enjoyed sharing the many moods of Little Green with me.

PS14IMG_1888.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 6:55:38 PM
Author: rainydaze
how neat is that?!?! i''ve never seen a diamond like that, very pretty. green is one of my favorite colors, and your stone is a beautiful shade!
Thank you. Many of the chameleons I was looking at have grey modifiers in the color, or are more olive in color. I really liked that Little Green was a nice yellow green, without the grey.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 7:06:23 PM
Author: Gothgrrl
What a sweet little guy. How cool is that? Changing colors with every mood. And I love that Little Green is a pear. Very nice and different! Little Green''s too cool!!
Thanks, Gothgirl! Some of the chameleons I was looking at came as marquise shapes. I didn''t want the pointy ends, because I didn''t think that would be as wearable. Little Green is a very plump pear, almost an oval, and is turning out to be a very cute and wearable shape.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 7:43:57 PM
Author: Miranda
Great pics! I LOVE little green!
Miranda - Thank you so much. I have several hundred more pictures.
31.gif
It was really hard to capture the colors I was seeing. I''d see yellow brown, and the picture would come out medium green.
23.gif
I never was able to capture the sparkle. Little Green does sparkle red, orange, yellow and green. I never see blue or purple. But I think my new camera is really good at removing the fire from the pictures.
20.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 8:22:55 PM
Author: ginseng_girl
wow!!!! i have never even heard of chameleon diamonds. that is a real treasure!
Thank you, ginseng_girl. It is hard to find much information about chameleon diamonds. This link (Link) has a section on the page about chameleon diamonds that pretty much matches the characteristics that I see in my stone. You can see that they had problems capturing the unstable yellow color.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Little Green is very cool, I just love him! And the setting looks great!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 11:01:22 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
Little Green is very cool, I just love him! And the setting looks great!
Thanks, Diamond Dana! This stone is meant to be in yellow gold. But really, the setting is about as cheap as they come, with a narrow stock 14 k gold band and 1/2 ct stock pear fitting. But, so wearable!!! I love it, too!
30.gif

sparklyfruit

Rough_Rock
Wow that is amazing! He looks great on his new band...I bet you never get tired of watching him change colours huh!? I love how you''ve named him Little Green - he has a little life of his own!
5.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That is such a cool effect! I''ve never heard of a chameleon diamond, but I always thought green diamonds were very cool. Gorgeous!

jayrenay9

Brilliant_Rock
That is so cool!!! I''ve never seen anything like it! Beautiful! I bet you must get comments all the time.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 11:56:04 PM
Author: sparklyfruit
Wow that is amazing! He looks great on his new band...I bet you never get tired of watching him change colours huh!? I love how you''ve named him Little Green - he has a little life of his own!
5.gif
Yep. Each time I step into a different room, I look down and Little Green is a different color.

I read that the late RockDoc said that people should name their pet rocks. His chameleon was named Camille. So, in honor of RockDoc, I wanted to be sure my pet chameleon had a name, too!
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, jstarfireb and jayrenay9. I wear lots of reds, tans, yellows, and blues, and I think that Little Green goes well with everything.
19.gif
He really is very small. Most people don''t notice the diamond. The comments I have gotten are from clerks in jewelry stores, and most of them have never seen a chameleon diamond either.
2.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock

I love it!

30.gif
How perfect! I love the UV photo you took, very cool to seem them all light up, and the side stones in your bigger ring look crazy under that UV. Very cool!

Congrats on a beautiful stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results