shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us the ring you thought you''d pick and the one you ended up choosing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Halo

Shiny_Rock
So as FFI and I have been looking at rings online, I have about 3 different styles of rings that I'm considering. A few years ago I just wanted a Tiffany solitare in their traditional 6-prong setting, but now I'm leaning towards settings with a lot more diamonds for some reason, which really surprises me.

So I was curious to see photos of what you ladies thought you would like, and photos of the ring you ended up liking in the end. And are there any particular reasons you went with the ring in the end? Maybe there are practical things I haven't considered yet when it comes to selecting my ring.

Halo

Shiny_Rock
EDIT: My pics won't post, so I've posted them in my next reply below.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May i preface this by saying i don''t have an ering (yet) either, but originally when i was much younger i wanted a gemstone ering, either halod or three stone...something like this...

irishbkfastsappr.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 4:26:35 PM
Author: violet3
May i preface this by saying i don''t have an ering (yet) either, but originally when i was much younger i wanted a gemstone ering, either halod or three stone...something like this...
or like this...but in sapphire...

tifflegwithsapp.jpg

Halo

Shiny_Rock
The ring I'll likely end up compromising on due to BF's tastes::
(photo by ilovethiswebsite)

TheRingIMayEndUpGetting.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooooopppppssss - sorry such a big picture last time!

In the end, when i actually got to go looking for rings with SO and seeing what i liked i tried on some pretty sapphires that i really liked, nothing blew me away. My other option was to do an eternity band for engagement and when i put it on, i loved it so much more than the other rings....and i don''t really care that it''s non-tranditional at all! Talk about big differences in taste!

This was the ring i tried on and loved - Uprong eternity band - 10 pointers
30.gif
excuse the crummy phone picture.

ringjewlestore2.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 4:32:37 PM
Author: Halo
The ring I''ll likely end up compromising on due to BF''s tastes::

Oh that''s pretty and it kind of looks like you took the two and blended them together - lovely!

Halo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 4:33:05 PM
Author: violet3
oooooopppppssss - sorry such a big picture last time!

In the end, when i actually got to go looking for rings with SO and seeing what i liked i tried on some pretty sapphires that i really liked, nothing blew me away. My other option was to do an eternity band for engagement and when i put it on, i loved it so much more than the other rings....and i don't really care that it's non-tranditional at all! Talk about big differences in taste!

This was the ring i tried on and loved - Uprong eternity band - 10 pointers
30.gif
excuse the crummy phone picture.

Yes, from what I've been hearing I think that it's quite typical that the ring in the end is quite different from what people think they would want or like. Your ring is very pretty! So...many.....diamonds
18.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
violet4- that sapphire ring is actually one of my favorites. totally drool worthy.

But this is what I thought I wanted until I saw it in person. It''s set sooo high there''s no way not to damage it eventually.

smoore.jpg

darling

Shiny_Rock
- what I liked twenty years ago - a bezel
- what I wanted thirteen years ago when I got married - an antique pave diamond solitaire with saphire accents
- what I wanted the last four years - a Leon pave
- what I just got - a bezel

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I wanted a halo, maybe a little old fashioned looking (or maybe not). Kinda like this:

thought62.jpg

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
But my FI and I went trying things on, and the dainty halos looked HORRID on my hand. Just completely wrong. Plus, my FI (who did not grow up thinking that Princess Diana and Princess Sarah had the most romantic rings ever) thought halos looked like old lady rings.

I specifically did not want a bezel, because I thought they were ugly. Then I tried some on, and every ring he and I both liked was a bezel of some sort.

Also, we knew we wanted a gemstone, but I wanted an alexandrite or a silver-blue spinel.

What did I end up with? Padparadscha sapphire in a bezel, of course.
3.gif
And I wouldn''t change a thing.

got62.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is what I originally wanted, but my husband didn''t like the 3-stone look, he really wanted to get me a solitaire (BTW, hope you ladies don''t mind me using your pics - I just love your rings!!!)

3stoneash6.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of the asscher solitaire that I got:

IMG_0635ashuse.JPG

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
After trying a step-cut, and realizing that I didn''t love it as much in a solitaire, here is the RB that I''m sporting now (what my husband wanted to get me originally!)

IMG_1355rbnow.JPG

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
And here is a pic of a Leon micropave set that is what I would like to do for an upgrade in a couple of years (but keep my RB center stone). The only difference is that I would like a 6-prong head:

dnring115upgrade.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2008 12:32:47 PM
Author: pjean
But my FI and I went trying things on, and the dainty halos looked HORRID on my hand. Just completely wrong. Plus, my FI (who did not grow up thinking that Princess Diana and Princess Sarah had the most romantic rings ever) thought halos looked like old lady rings.

I specifically did not want a bezel, because I thought they were ugly. Then I tried some on, and every ring he and I both liked was a bezel of some sort.

Also, we knew we wanted a gemstone, but I wanted an alexandrite or a silver-blue spinel.

What did I end up with? Padparadscha sapphire in a bezel, of course.
3.gif
And I wouldn''t change a thing.
Pjean - ii just love that pad sapphire ring and it looks perfect on you!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
What I thought I wanted when I was in college: 1 carat emerald cut solitaire.
What I thought I wanted just after I graduated: anything really ornate a la Tacori
What I thought I wanted a few months ago: Something cushion cut/Tiffany Novo-esque.
What I want now: Mark Morrell Petite Torchiere with diamonds in the crown (pictured is the regular Torchiere, couldn''t find pics of the petite version)

What I''ll probably get: something similar to the Torchiere- platinum with a 1-1.25 carat RB stone. Who knows about any additional sparkle on the band.

mmtorchierelove.jpg

krockie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 12:29:42 PM
Author: pjean
I thought I wanted a halo, maybe a little old fashioned looking (or maybe not). Kinda like this:
Pjean, I am in LOVE with that ring you posted, the old fashioned halo. Where oh where is that from?

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes the change in taste has something to do with the man! :) I am shopping for my w-band right now, and my FI hates really delicate, small things on me. He prefers things to be strong, to make a statement. I have size 3.5 fingers. He thinks it would be nice for me to wear something strong and tailored, like this emerald-cut eternity band.
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=4116

I had been looking something like a Tiffany''s knife-edge. Delicate. Thin. Wispy.

So that doesn''t quite answer your question about the e-ring, but it does bring something of the male perspective into the mix. He also doesn''t like RBs and wanted to know if I would wear something long and rectangular, or long and oval, or else an uncut, unfacted "raw" stone. I said "no" to rough diamonds, but I will consider an OMC!

Where do our men get their firm ideas on aesthetics, anyway? :)

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper, I love all of yours... past, present and future!
30.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I was absolutely certain that I wanted a shared prong setting with a RB just like Demzela''s...

demzela_wedding_set.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
... until I fell in love with cushions and micropave. Here''s what I got...

kathyinjapan

Shiny_Rock
So I was curious to see photos of what you ladies thought you would like, and photos of the ring you ended up liking in the end. And are there any particular reasons you went with the ring in the end? Maybe there are practical things I haven''t considered yet when it comes to selecting my ring.

What I wanted when I was in high school/college - Tiffany classic 6 prong
What I wanted when I was dating - Bvlgari Marry Me
What my husband wanted to get me - Tiffany classic 6 prong - and he unaware that it was my dream ring
What I have - Tiffany classic 6 prong - I ended up with my "Dream" ring!
9.gif

If I upgrade I will probably go with something like what''s in your avatar. RB with diamond halo border and half diamond band.

Here is the Bvlgari ring:

bvglari1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results