clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1296434309|2837762 said:
Mark my words, I AM getting a VC one of these days! :Up_to_something: :devil:

And that day might be Monday!!
I'm meeting with a private seller who is selling his platinum 812 with a .72ct Lazare Kaplan AGS0 G colored diamond!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/enable-me-or-not.157915/page-2#post-2890517#p2890517

My only concern is that it is a second hand ring, worn for about 10 years. I know it's made of platinum, but I'm wondering how well something this delicate does against wear and tear.

For those of you who have VC rings over 5-10 years old, have you noticed much wear over the years? Do you send them back to Larry for "touch ups"? I can't imagine asking a local jeweler to polish any scratches or nicks on these exquisitely detailed pieces. I'm a little curious about what kind of maintenance a VC ring needs.

Thanks for the help!

Here's a detail photo from the seller
file.php

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see what you think when you see it! :appl: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, y'all, I have been trying to decide on a pendant setting for a 6mm diamond that my mother gave me and of course I am considering VC. In the course of looking around, I saw these earrings which I think are the prettiest pearl earrings in the world! Just thought I'd share for those who haven't seen them!

vancraeynest1206-d80.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love VC pendants!

pendant.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I did get a quote on that one in white metal. :love: I am struggling because of the price, but it would definitely be a true heirloom as opposed to an ordinary setting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1302460928|2892676 said:
Well, I did get a quote on that one in white metal. :love: I am struggling because of the price, but it would definitely be a true heirloom as opposed to an ordinary setting.
Can I ask what the ballpark was? I really love that pendant and was thinking of asking my hubby about making it a future anniversary gift (for a 5 yr maybe).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade, I am also getting a second hand VC ring this week! It was a gamble because the pictures weren't great, but the price was good enough that I thought I could risk it and resell if it wasn't the right piece for me. So I am hoping we both have some good luck this week!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1302461271|2892679 said:
MakingTheGrade, I am also getting a second hand VC ring this week! It was a gamble because the pictures weren't great, but the price was good enough that I thought I could risk it and resell if it wasn't the right piece for me. So I am hoping we both have some good luck this week!

Oh that's so exciting! Can I ask which model?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a stand-alone wider wedding band that I do not see on their site. It just has little diamonds in it. I thought maybe someone here was selling it but I searched and could not find it on PS anywhere. I thought I'd like to have a band to wear when I don't want to wear my diamond/wedding set. I'll try to get some pictures when it comes probably mid-week. I just hope it is in good shape and that I love it in person! Same for you, too!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
DS, I think I know that band you bought, and would love to see some photos when you get it.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
I can't even guess what you've procured DS, but can't wait to see it, congrats! From the pieces you've posted I would go for the pendant (which is on a buried hit-list now), it would make a grand home for your 1ct and look great any number of years from now. Good luck with your decision. :))

MTG, I haven't owned any VC for longer than three years, but I know Larry will rework any piece you send. According to their website it's a $75 charge for re-chasing, which is an excellent deal. The piece you've bought seems to be in excellent condition but if the head needs re-polishing I'd give it a whirl and get the lot done. My wedder is the matching band for this ring and I love it, it makes platinum look 'rich'. Good luck with the deal! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good! I am glad some of our other VC friends joined in!

Selkie, did you see the listing for the band? It was my size, so I had no choice but to order it!!! Do you know anything else about it? The pictures weren't very clear, but I am hoping for the best!

Aeo (I have to figure out a nickname for you because it is too hard to spell out the whole thing!), I am really happy to know that Larry will refurbish his rings! If I decide to keep this new band, I will definitely do that if it needs it.

My 1 ct. diamond is now with Brian Gavin being recut and will turn out to be around .82 and 6mm, so it would be a good size for that pendant. I am leaning toward doing it just because I want the diamond to be an heirloom and it just needs a nice setting. I've considered Beverley K, too, but there is nothing else like VC! Sara also told me they could set the diamond in a fleur-de-lis head and add a bail, but I am not sure you could see the detail well enough for that to be worth it. I wish I could see a better picture of the D61 pendant, but I just can't tell enough about it.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302482954|2892883 said:
Oh, good! I am glad some of our other VC friends joined in!

Selkie, did you see the listing for the band? It was my size, so I had no choice but to order it!!! Do you know anything else about it? The pictures weren't very clear, but I am hoping for the best!

I think so, was it on eBay? I have a search set up for VC and that popped up last week, but I didn't ask any questions about it because it's nowhere near my size. Very charming, and a great price!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS: have you ever asked VC to send more photos? I imagine they wouldn't mind?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selkie...yes, ebay, and it was an amazing price if it is in good condition. The seller said it is, so I am really hopeful!

MTG...I hadn't really thought of that since the only pictures we normally see from VC are taken by PS members who visit there! But that is a really good idea! They probably have lots of other pendant designs. I just have to make myself decide to spend the money before I make them go to any trouble. I do love the pendant that was already posted. I just want one that is not too formal looking.

Mchamm

Rough_Rock
My fiancée and I went to their office/shop back in May and met with Larry in person. We got a personal tour of his shop (can post pictures at some point later) with the ultimate goal to decide on a ring. We had a couple ideas in mind and Larry was quite helpful with getting everything in order. They will take pictures of the ring as it's being made, you just have to ask really nice. I used the pictures to make a picture book from MyPublisher that was used for the proposal--she's graduated with an undergraduate degree in English literature and is now studying for her Master's in Library Sciences. So books are huge.

After they put the rings through their multi-ton press, they will put them in molds so that the ring designers can do their thing--mind you everything is done by hand. During the ring making process:

MM371.jpg
MM370.jpg
MM374.jpg

Finished product:

Eng%201.jpg
Wed%201.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mchamm...absolutely gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love: And I second the suggestion to start your own thread on this forum so everyone will see your rings!!!

MTG...wow, what a DEAL you got!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
MTG, I posted on your thread but I'll just say it again:

Wow! Lovely in every way.

Mchamm: That is breathtakingly lovely! You definitely need to start another thread with all the details, and many, many more photos!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aeolianarpa|1302477557|2892832 said:
MTG, I haven't owned any VC for longer than three years, but I know Larry will rework any piece you send. According to their website it's a $75 charge for re-chasing, which is an excellent deal. The piece you've bought seems to be in excellent condition but if the head needs re-polishing I'd give it a whirl and get the lot done. My wedder is the matching band for this ring and I love it, it makes platinum look 'rich'. Good luck with the deal! :)

Thanks! Do you know where on their website it says that?
The flowers on the very bottom of the band have lost some of their details (not surprisingly given how tiny they are!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never seen it on the website. I'd just call and tell them you bought a second hand ring and want it to have a face-lift and see what they say (and come back and tell me)!

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Have just posted in your other thread too, what a winner! The re-chase price is given on the last page of their online catalogue, under Sizing/Refinishing. Please pardon my vagueness! :)

I'd say refinishing it from here will be no problem to the gang and I agree with DS, calling Larry/Sara and telling them what you've snagged and what you'd like done is a great idea. I know it's a bit of a hesitance-maker to call a factory owner for a chat but Larry loves to talk about the details to interested parties and is an all-round excellent guy. Good luck with the next move!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have the 1020? Or photos of it?

Lori

quintilis

Rough_Rock
The new pieces in this thread are so lovely :)

I hope to own a 920 band in gold someday...

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
loriken214|1302591594|2893901 said:
Does anyone have the 1020? Or photos of it?

Lori

Lori, I don't have any photos of it, but I did look at it very closely when I was there at VC last week. It was one of the styles I was considering. Did you have any specific questions about it that I could try to answer?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 » 13 Apr 2011 20:14
I just happened to find this little ring doing a random search for Van Craeynest on ebay the other day. It had just been listed and it was exactly my size! I really wanted a pretty band to wear when I don't want to wear my wedding set, and this appeared to be just what I was looking for! The pictures weren't great (and I am not photographer, either, so I wasn't complaining!), so I wasn't 100% sure of the condition and the ring was not returnable. But the price was excellent and I had to take the chance! It came today and it is beautiful!!! You can see the fine tiny milgrain in some of the close-ups!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-little-van-craeynest-treasure.159374/

Attachments

• littleV.bmp
    699 KB · Views: 1,451

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for adding that picture, Amy!!! :wavey:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302740973|2895492 said:
Thank you for adding that picture, Amy!!! :wavey:

haha, I was one second behind you..