carat
color
clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2008 9:37:16 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Well, I did not end up getting this set, but I will say that it was the most beautiful set I have ever seen. So I'll post a couple of pictures just for future shoppers!

Hiya DS...thank you so much for posting your pictures! I never get tired of seeing that set...
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LIB, Really, the 1034 and your setting are my absolute favorite settings of all time. Oh, and your band! *sigh*

My new stone is in a Tiffany style 6 prong. I wanted to try out the plain solitaire for awhile. I got it as a temporary setting, because I really want to take my time, as I have a bit of a resetting habit.

I think a Van Craeynest will be my final/final.

For now, I'll have to keep coming back to your threads and love them from afar!

Oh, and I want to eat those candy like colored stone rings right off my monitor!I can only imagine them in person!

Heehee...you remind me of Angeline! Thanks again about the setting...I'll bet Mariposa is blusing too
10.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
You''ve got me pegged LiB!
23.gif
Trouble is I don''t know what I really like or don''t like until I''ve worn it for a while.

I know I LOVE VC, but for my only set? I need several diamonds! double
23.gif
!!!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2008 11:32:41 PM
Author: angeline
You've got me pegged LiB!
23.gif
Trouble is I don't know what I really like or don't like until I've worn it for a while.

I know I LOVE VC, but for my only set? I need several diamonds! double
23.gif
!!!
Oh yeah! I like the way you think about needing sever diamonds Angeline
31.gif

That makes total sense, about wearing something for a while to see what you really like or don't like. I suppose sentiment plays more of a role in my jewelry life than anything. I'm impulsive and sentimental...and that means trouble too
41.gif
!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting that video Anita!
36.gif

More points scored for Van Craeynest. I love their aesthetic and craftsmanship. If I were resetting now...but I must be patient...

Good review too, LIB!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
One more thing--the website has been updated too and includes a catalog. Can you tell that I am in love with VC rings :)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can certainly see why you are in love with his pieces! Just gorgeous! I am in love with the sapphire earrings!!
30.gif
WOW!

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
Anita - Definitely, thanks for the video link. I''ve talked with Larry several times, but never knew what he or his shop looked like... that was a treat.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 10:39:29 PM
Author: AnitaT
I found the following video online and thought some of you might enjoy it. I really respect the craftsmanship and process involved with these pieces. How amazing!

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/875850/san_francisco_ca/van_craeynest.html#profile

Thanks for posting the video AnitaT! I watched it several times and it made me giggle. Last year hubby and I visited the factory and met Larry in person. In real life he actually speaks kind of slowly...I think the ppl who edited the video must have made Larry go in "fast forward" mode to make the clip shorter. Cracks me up!

Van Craeynest also had a promo DVD from several years back and I have a copy of it. It was included when they sent my heart pendant and I'm not sure how many copies they have left. The movie shows in a bit more detail on the process of die-striking, carving, chasing, and saw piercing. There is a jeweler who works for VC named Stan...the movie shows him working on his masterpiece. It took him more than 12 years to finish it and it is I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E ! If I could figure out a way to upload the DVD I would...
33.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire earrings are very pretty! I''ve never noticed earrings on his site.

I love the floral designs, everyone''s rings are beautiful.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
LIB--I absolutely would LOVE to visit the VC factory, but unfortunately I live all the way on the other side of the country. I envision it as some combination of visiting a museum and fun shopping. Thank you so much for describing your visit to the VC factory. I enjoyed reading about it and appreciated all the pictures you included. Your DVD sounds fascinating and I wish I was more of a techie-type person to help you figure out how to upload it.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the complements on my earrings Cushioncutnut and Addy! Van Craeynest earrings are a bit on the expensive side but the sapphire earrings were a gift . . . so that makes them priceless to me
10.gif

Anita T - You are so very welcome and I'm glad I could share my visit to San Francisco. The factory is just that...more a workshop than a storefront, although I found that it had its own charm. Visiting the factory and meeting Larry was definitely one of the highlights of my trip, but it was quite overwhelming to see so many interesting things and beautiful, artful rings in one place at one time. I wish I could time travel and do it all again (this time, paying more attention
37.gif
!).

Here's the link to my visit, in case anyone else is interested:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hey-diamondseeker2006-i-have-some-pics-for-you.71471/

The very next day after we visited Van Craeynest we met some friends and walked around the fisherman's wharf all the way up to Ghirardelli Square. My mind was still spinning from the day before, and there is a quote buy Walter Cronkite that summarizes up how I felt about the whole experience. Here is a picture :

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

LIBLeavingSF.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I also thought I would post some pictures of other PSer's VC rings. Hopefully they won't mind...

Hest88's lovely wedding set
30.gif
1.gif
30.gif
:

Set%20small.jpg

and a close up of just the band:

Band%20small.gif

Here's the link to her post

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always admired her set...so beautiful!
30.gif
Darn it, I wish I could have 4 or 5 sets to wear. This would be one of ''em!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 4:32:06 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
I've always admired her set...so beautiful!
30.gif
Darn it, I wish I could have 4 or 5 sets to wear. This would be one of 'em!
LOL, me too Luvmyhalo!! Ya know, collecting wedding sets may not be such a bad idea...
31.gif
(in the mean time, thank goodness for being able to save pictures in a 'favorites' folder!)

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Poptart''s wedding ring
3.gif
:

Wedding%20Ring%20026.jpg

On her lovely hand:

Wedding%20Ring%20031.jpg

Link to Poptart''s ring (Hopefully she will come back and visit soon
16.gif
)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
LIB Thank you for posting those lovelies!!

You are definitely fanning my flames!!
31.gif

They are all beautiful!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Heehee Coati, flame away! I am (as if you could not already tell
16.gif
) a self-proclaimed Van Craeynest nut, so you are indeed in good company
5.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, so many beauties!!! Thanks for starting this thread Love!!! Yes, you can drool w/me over DS's maybe sapphire. hehe I love the earrings and floating pendant on the 1st page and all the rings!!! They are so delicate and perfect!
30.gif
30.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
I have some pictures to share. Larry kindly sent me some settings to consider for an ering (you can read some more about it here ). I had fun
1.gif
. The rings are beautiful. Okay, without further ado...

This is 812. Larry suggested looking at the settings under loupe because "they can stand up to it"---I think that is how he worded it. And, my goodness, it was incredible! The flowers are tiny and yet impressively detailed.

812 IMG_0170.JPG

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Here is 827 --another masterpiece

827 IMG_0201.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just love the old world charm of the van craeynest settings...they are beautiful. it''s funny too b/c i actually think most of them look better with smaller stones. like a 2 carat round would totally take away from the perfection of the setting. sounds nuts i''m sure
37.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 9:49:08 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i just love the old world charm of the van craeynest settings...they are beautiful. it''s funny too b/c i actually think most of them look better with smaller stones. like a 2 carat round would totally take away from the perfection of the setting. sounds nuts i''m sure
37.gif

I totally agree!
LIB''s and Mariposa''s have the perfect balance.
30.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 3:51:53 AM
Author: coatimundi

37.gif

I totally agree!
30.gif
Thank you Coatimundi! While I do agree that the chased rings look lovely with <1ct stones ala mine and Mariposa''s, after seeing the pierced rings in person I feel most of them look better (and were made for) larger diamonds, like this one (on the left):
4.gif

LIBsVCvisit0018.jpg

I think Widget''s star ruby was about 3cts and she had oval sidestones over .80 cts each. To me her ring looks fantastic and is in perfect proportion with her larger gemstone and side diamonds
10.gif
30.gif
10.gif
. On the VC website there is a pierced ring 1024 with a 3.50ct diamond in it...
3.gif
...I wish I could see more VC rings with larger center stones, especially diamonds.

During my visit I remember asking Larry what was the largest stone he ever put in a ring. I think he told me it was a 36 Carat something. I wonder what ring that was
6.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2008 9:56:10 PM
Author: Skippy123
Wow, so many beauties!!! Thanks for starting this thread Love!!! Yes, you can drool w/me over DS''s maybe sapphire. hehe I love the earrings and floating pendant on the 1st page and all the rings!!! They are so delicate and perfect!
30.gif
30.gif
Hehe, it''s nice to have drool buddies Skippy! I''m glad you enjoyed my pictures
2.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 9:26:15 PM
Author: AnitaT
I have some pictures to share. Larry kindly sent me some settings to consider for an ering (you can read some more about it here ). I had fun
1.gif
. The rings are beautiful. Okay, without further ado...

This is 812. Larry suggested looking at the settings under loupe because 'they can stand up to it'---I think that is how he worded it. And, my goodness, it was incredible! The flowers are tiny and yet impressively detailed.

Holy cow AnitaT, that sounds like my kind of fun! LOL, that wording sounds just like Larry. I absolutely adore the language he uses when he talks about his rings. Thanks bunches for posting your pictures of those settings
10.gif

ETA: I can't access the link from your post yesterday. Is there any way you can link it again?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 4:12:36 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
Date: 3/19/2008 3:51:53 AM

Author: coatimundi

37.gif

I totally agree!

30.gif

Thank you Coatimundi! While I do agree that the chased rings look lovely with <1ct stones ala mine and Mariposa''s, after seeing the pierced rings in person I feel most of them look better (and were made for) larger diamonds, like this one (on the left):

4.gif

LIBsVCvisit0018.jpg

I think Widget''s star ruby was about 3cts and she had oval sidestones over .80 cts each. To me her ring looks fantastic and is in perfect proportion with her larger gemstone and side diamonds
10.gif
30.gif
10.gif
. On the VC website there is a pierced ring 1024 with a 3.50ct diamond in it...
3.gif
...I wish I could see more VC rings with larger center stones, especially diamonds.

During my visit I remember asking Larry what was the largest stone he ever put in a ring. I think he told me it was a 36 Carat something. I wonder what ring that was
6.gif

Oh those are totally TDF!!
Yes, I meant the chased rings.
1.gif
I just adore those with smaller stones.
I love that his settings are so diverse.
For my end-all-be-all upgrade/reset of all time, I''d love a Van Craeynest!
10.gif
30.gif
9.gif

And what''s even better? Hubby loves them too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results