shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I must admit I'm a bit afraid to engage them. It sounds like the business is out of control. As a business woman, I know that you can't operate with a single point of failure and expect to be successful. I'd rather buy a piece that was produced before the firm was sold.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Polished|1352633539|3303184 said:
Gather round Van Craeynest fans. Here are the pictures of my new 1.72 carat sapphire ring. It was a ring based on Anita T’s engagement ring:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-customized-van-craeynest-460.102248/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-customized-van-craeynest-460.102248/[/URL]

However, mine was done in yellow gold and with a sapphire. Although she hasn’t been around for a while, thanks Anita.

Hi there, :wavey:

Polished,
Forgive this belated reply. Your ring is beautiful, I am really happy for you. :appl: I am beyond flattered that my beloved/cherished e-ring helped inspire your wonderful piece.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
It was lovely to come here and see your post Anita, thank you. They are the most beautiful rings and I'm so glad to hear you still love yours. My daughter has her eye on mine for sometime down the track and they are such worthy heirloom pieces!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my VanCraeynest set- inspired by Aelionarpa's:

20141108_144951-1_resized.jpg

dsc_5065_edited-3.jpg

20150207_161519_resized_0.jpg

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Apacherose,

Your set is lovely. I love the flowers. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my very favorite sets, ApacheRose! :love:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
AnitaT|1423935778|3832532 said:
Apacherose,

Your set is lovely. I love the flowers. :bigsmile:
Thank you, AnitaT- you, me, any VanC lovers must also be flower lovers, too, I'd guess... or romantics at heart at the least.

diamondseeker2006 said:
One of my very favorite sets, ApacheRose! :love:

Thank you, Diamondseeker! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I was thinking recently that I was missing having new pictures on this thread, and I STILL have in mind to get a Van Craeynest ring when I find the right diamond. So I had the opportunity to see some VanC rings from Emerson and Farrar today and wanted to share a couple of pictures!

My favorite e-ring is the 484 large, but they only had the smaller version. It is gorgeous, as well! The pointed prongs are beautifully done. The picture shows it with the 869 band.

2015-07-28_10.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry that these pictures are not the greatest. I can't do justice to these tiny works of art! Here are some bands, 810, 811, 812, 817, 869, and the 484 band is in the second picture. They are still die struck the original way and the hand carving looks wonderful! I hope we see more Van C pieces on the thread soon!

2015-07-28_0.jpg

2015-07-28_1.jpg

annie121

Rough_Rock
I've fallen in love with Van Craeynest pieces and loved oogling at everyone's pieces. Thanks for sharing! :love:

I'm currently in the process of resetting my engagement ring and am seriously thinking of getting a VC. I've found 2 possible settings through a jeweler. They are both a bit small for my diamond and finger. The jeweler said he could tweak the head a bit to make it fit and he would be able to resize one of the rings. My question is, since it's die-struck, will the resizing affect the quality at all? Or be noticeable? The one I'm leaning towards isn't resizable for my finger, which is ok, it'll just be a tight fit for me. I guess I'm just worried if making adjustments to the ring will compromise it at all, even though they reassured me it won't. Thanks!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for posting, DS. I have some Van Craeynest bands on my wish list! I had a nice conversation with the new owner, and it sounds like they are learning the ropes of this craft and adding more designs over time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
annie121|1438696088|3910961 said:
I've fallen in love with Van Craeynest pieces and loved oogling at everyone's pieces. Thanks for sharing! :love:

I'm currently in the process of resetting my engagement ring and am seriously thinking of getting a VC. I've found 2 possible settings through a jeweler. They are both a bit small for my diamond and finger. The jeweler said he could tweak the head a bit to make it fit and he would be able to resize one of the rings. My question is, since it's die-struck, will the resizing affect the quality at all? Or be noticeable? The one I'm leaning towards isn't resizable for my finger, which is ok, it'll just be a tight fit for me. I guess I'm just worried if making adjustments to the ring will compromise it at all, even though they reassured me it won't. Thanks!

I would hesitate to ever recommend a buying setting that is a tight fit. Many women have a need to have a ring sized up over their lifetime, and starting out with a tight ring is never a good idea. If the bottom of the shank is just plain metal, then I would think it could be sized a little, like maybe a half size up to a full size. I would rather pay for one that is the right size or a little large at the outset to allow for the possibility of needing it larger in the future (or it could have sizing beads added to use as long as needed). The problem with allowing the jeweler to adjust it is that if it doesn't turn out well, you are kind of stuck. But if there is a plain shank at the base, it might be worth taking the chance. Good luck and let us know what happens!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1438696898|3910966 said:
Thanks for posting, DS. I have some Van Craeynest bands on my wish list! I had a nice conversation with the new owner, and it sounds like they are learning the ropes of this craft and adding more designs over time.

Yes, I really loved seeing the bands. I learned my preference is for the ones with the larger and more visible designs. Some of the work is so tiny and intricate that you need magnification to really see it!

annie121

Rough_Rock
DS, thanks for sharing your opinion. I have learned that lesson the hard way! Since my first pregnancy more than 3 years ago, I haven't been able to wear my rings. After 2 kids, I think I've accepted the fact that I can't ever fit my engagement ring again (I think my knuckles have permanently expanded :cry: ). And it has a micropave shank, so I can't safely enlarge it as much as I'd like. So I'm on the hunt for a new setting. I thought about a Victor Canera and his pave, but then, I've been really loving Van Craeynest! The two that I've been looking at are the 483 and the 810. I initially liked the 810 better, but now, I can't stop staring at the fishtail prongs on the 483. The 810 is a bit snug on me (though I am planning on losing all the pregnancy weight...really! :roll: ) and holds a ~1ct stone. The 483, they can resize to fit me comfortably, but it is made for a ~0.8ct stone. My stone is 1.24ct. The jeweler said they can modify the head to fit my stone, but I don't know if it'll affect the proportions of the ring. This jeweler no longer carries the VC line, so these are the only settings they have left and are offering them at a discount. So I'm not sure if I should go this route and save some money, but risk not having the setting be perfect for my stone? Or if I should just go directly to VC and have them make a setting specifically for my stone but pay more for it. :confused:

483.jpeg

810.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annie, there's just no way that I'd let them adapt a .80 fishtail prong head for a 1.2 ct diamond. I think they'd have to make one from scratch and then it wouldn't be die struck and who knows what it would look like. I love a great deal as much as anyone and have bought other kinds of sample settings myself. But I put in stones for the size of the heads they had and didn't resize due to having engraving on the shanks (although I could resize as there is no pave on the lower half of any of the shanks).

I think you'd be happier having the ring made in your correct size and with the correct size head for your diamond but obviously you have to weigh the cost versus the risk of adapting the sample settings. Van C would set your diamond and make the lovely pointed prongs they now make.

I did find out some info about resizing because I felt like we all need to understand this as we consider ordering rings or resizing existing rings. I will post that in the next post since you really already know the sizing issues with the rings you are looking at.

I do hope you work it out one way or the other! Can't wait to see your ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out info on resizing since many of us have probably wondered about it, and I didn't want to give incorrect information.

Never entrust the sizing of 4 digit VC ring to a local jeweler. Those are generally the more intricate rings with filigree, etc. They have been sent many rings that were messed up from resizing locally. Some could be repaired and some had to be remade.

Die struck rings are stronger but can break during sizing! The change in diameter of the rings up or down puts stress on the filigree in the ring… this fine hand sawn work can not bend beyond a certain tolerance.

They normally can size up or down 1 full size, however it is done to a specific technique. One of the limiting factors is if the ring has been sized before. When the ring is over sized large pieces of filigree and flowers break away from the ring. Styles such as the E.7041 can be sized up/down 2-3 sizes.

In general the 3 digit styles can be sized up and down as much as need be. (There are a few inconsistent style numbers such as the E.968 which can only go up/down in size 1 finger size.)

Eternity rings and styles with a continuous pattern may need a sizing bar added to achieve sizing.

All sizings of yellow gold rings with antiquing applied need to be re-antiqued after sizing.

Also:

The E.1004 and E.1034 have been added to the E.1023 and E.7041 as rings they can currently produce in the 4 digit styles.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love this thread.
Thank you for this information DS :wavey:

annie121

Rough_Rock
DS, thanks for the sizing info!

I called VC for a quote on the same settings and it isn't that much more after taking into consideration the setting fee, resizing fee, and shipping fees that the jeweler was going to charge me. So hopefully, I will be visiting their showroom at the end of this month to actually try on some rings and pick a setting. Until then, I will just have to keep oogling their rings on this site. :lickout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
annie121|1438898422|3911974 said:
DS, thanks for the sizing info!

I called VC for a quote on the same settings and it isn't that much more after taking into consideration the setting fee, resizing fee, and shipping fees that the jeweler was going to charge me. So hopefully, I will be visiting their showroom at the end of this month to actually try on some rings and pick a setting. Until then, I will just have to keep oogling their rings on this site. :lickout:

That is awesome news, Annie!!! You were very smart to do the research and compare total costs. Plus, it is good to see a variety of the settings since you may find that you love others, too!

Acinom... :wavey: I love this thread, too, and hope to see more new additions!

letsgocrzy

Rough_Rock
Made an account just to post in this thread-- I've read all 40 pages and there has been so much helpful information here.

My SO and I agreed that I would pick out my own e-ring a while back, since I am picky (and since I'm wearing this forever, it should be perfect, right?). I was pretty confident that I wanted a vintage ring, but I was having trouble finding the right places to look, and I was nervous about buying something online. Fast forward after several months of on and off again searching, and I stumbled upon this VC piece.

Talk about love at first sight! I'm happy to say it's mine now, and I wanted to share it since it's a little bit different from the other 457s posted in this thread. I think the other two-tone ones I've seen were predominantly yellow gold, so here's white gold with yellow gold blossoms. It was a secondhand purchase, so I think I'm going to send it in for some refurbishing (you can tell the flowers are a bit more worn on the e-ring).

1408141671_10_1_6902__1_of_8__hires.jpg

1408141671_10_1_6902__2_of_8__hires.jpg

cd568dce-d597-4347-8549-66c36baf1adf.jpg

Anyway, I can see VC becoming a dangerous addiction, so I love/hate you all for sharing your wonderful pieces.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous set, letsgocrzy! I remember seeing those and thinking that a PSer needed to get them! I am so glad you came to show us! My biggest advice to you is to treat them with TLC so as not to let wear get on the chased elements as major refurbishing is very costly. They look really great now, though!

letsgocrzy

Rough_Rock
Thanks, diamondseeker-- I just love looking down at my hand and feeling like I have a miniature work of art with me everyday.

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but in person it looks as though the wedding band flowers have the antiqued finish, which is totally gone from the engagement ring. I think it may have gotten polished to oblivion, so I'll have to be careful with that.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
image_910.jpg

I had my VC bracelet made smaller, and into an oval. It's exactly what I wanted! So glad I didn't sell it!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
iluvcarats... that piece is stunning! I am very glad you kept it, too. What a great idea to have it revamped it bit to make it fit you better. I have really small wrists myself so bracelets are often more cumbersome than cute. But, I love them, and I love yours!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
SparklySoprano|1467419761|4050640 said:
iluvcarats... that piece is stunning! I am very glad you kept it, too. What a great idea to have it revamped it bit to make it fit you better. I have really small wrists myself so bracelets are often more cumbersome than cute. But, I love them, and I love yours!

Thanks SparklySoprano!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvcarats...that was a genius thing to do! I agree so much that oval bracelets are so much more comfortable! I am so glad you are now able to keep and enjoy wearing that masterpiece of a bracelet!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvcarats, it's gorgeous…so glad you were able to make it more comfortable for you and you're enjoying it. I'm not normally a big bracelet person but this is amazing. :love:

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DS and Junebug :)) It is really comfortable now, I don't even notice it. So glad I did it too.

Eauphelia

Rough_Rock
I am so in love with that bracelet! As someone with small wrists, I understand your sizing struggle. It looks amazing though!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
iluvcarats|1467415903|4050613 said:
image_910.jpg

I had my VC bracelet made smaller, and into an oval. It's exactly what I wanted! So glad I didn't sell it!

iluvcarats, your bracelet is beautiful... is it 14k or 18k yellow gold?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results