Show me Platinum Halo Settings VS White Gold Halo Settings -

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Would love to see what Platinum looks like vs white gold - any help appreciated

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Show me Platinum Halo Settings VS White Gold Halo Settin

Gosh, my first thought is that there is no visible difference, unless possibly comparing platinum and unplated white gold... or the halo style in question has a lot of metal, and even then I'd think the halo ring would have to have several years' of wear before any metal difference might be noticeable. I look forward to reading other responses, especially by those who have halo rings in both metals.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

My halo is white gold. I tried on both white gold and platinum halos in the store. Given that both were covered in diamonds, I couldn't tell a color difference. There was a weight difference however, with the platinum settings being heavier.

In plain solitaire settings, I can tell a color difference between wg and plat.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I tried on both platinum and wg halos when I bought my new setting…I hemmed and hawed a little between the two and went with 18k. I really couldn't see a difference and I didn't want to go too much over budget.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

PLAT and WG will look similar. Over time PLAT will patina (more greyish color) while WG will look more buttery and yellow (eventually you will need to have it redipped). However if you are doing a halo I seriously doubt you could see the difference between the too when new. Maybe after a few years of wear it would be more apparent.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

***two

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks so much. Hope to see pics and more responses and thoughts on this. I have a white gold ring and the jeweler said it is already yellowing - I don't know if this is do to me cleaning it 1x a day in jewelry cleaner, or the fact that I use hand sanitizer a million x a day and also lotion.......??

Will the diamond halo look whiter/sparklier in a gray patina-ed halo?? Does anyone have examples/pics of that???

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Also, do you think the white gold background of the halo will combine more with the center stone, accentuating it, whereas a platinum contrast to the diamonds in the halo would be more contrasting, ???? I want the halo to blur the lines of the stone/halo i think. any pics appreciated.

check out what they say about platinum making the diamonds appear sparklier/brilliant:

http://www.bluenile.com/platinum-jewelry/platinum-education

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lol. Wow, they romanticize it a lot. I believe that's what they call "laying it on thick".

You really aren't going to see much of a difference in color. I have some platinum and some white gold (14kt, 18kt) plus palladium and silver and unless I look closely, it's pretty difficult to tell a difference in metal color, even with antique platinum pieces.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

There are many reasons why a WG ring will start to yellow with time. For some who are more active it just happens sooner.

Really I wouldn't worry about the metal. I would be more concerned with pave type and who is doing it for the halo. That will really make or break the setting. Metal type is personal perference and like already mentioned you won't see a difference for a few years down the road. I don't think anyone is going to have pictures to show you because there really isn't a visual difference in WG vs. PLAT.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel like saying the white gold will "yellow" seems a bit misleading. It will lose the rhodium playing yes, but it not yellow gold dipped in rhodium. It's a softer white, with, depending on which metal you choose, a secondary yellow undertone. 14k will show less, 18k more. Plus the type of metal matters. I've seen very yellow white gold an VERY white white gold. Both unplated.

But I agree depending on the quality of setting and type of pave, it would hardly matter

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer Plat or Palladium over white gold. For starters, you will not lose metal over the years with the first two like you would gold. You won't have to ever rhodium plate. Also for tiny pave stones, Plat is generally considered the most secure. But you have to decide if it's worth the extra cost to you.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks you guys. I really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts and I appreciate you guys taking the time to write me!!!!! :wavey: The last response (Laila, I think) probably sealed the deal for me - the fact that the smaller stones will be more secure. That's important to me because I am rough with my hands. I also wash my hands all day long and apply lotion, sanitizer, etc. I also am into cleaning my diamond all the time (1x per day or so). I like it to be sparkly. I reset my diamond last year but although I love the setting it is too delicate for me. I guess I'll save it for a future stone. I love my transitional diamond and it seems to be rare/unique so I figured why not invest in a nice platinum setting /halo to accentuate it and give me the heft I need, you know?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you will be happy with your choice. :)

I used to be all about cost, and I would pick 14k white because it was usually the most affordable. But Plat is so luxurious to me and I love it, and the fact that it's hypoallergenic too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Platinum is a better metal for pave.

I would not get a white gold halo if I have the option of platinum.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

I guess plat is the way to go i'm leaning

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results