shape
carat
color
clarity

Sad about my E-ring! Oval bow tie effect!!

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
For comparison, the top is my grandmother's ring from costco, the stone is 0.37, only I vs2, but even this small
Stone sparkles more than mine.

_23058.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1412810322|3764539 said:
For comparison, the top is my grandmother's ring from costco, the stone is 0.37, only I vs2, but even this small
I am so sorry to hear you're disappointed

Put it up for sale, maybe even consignment. You'll be able to recoup some of your money, and you can take a step back, not wear a ring for a while, maybe rethink it and start fresh.

Its just a ring, if you dont like it sell it and start over. I had to do the exact same so I know the feeling.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
About the price, i paid almost 10k for this ring. It is a very hard lesson, i won't be able to afford any diamond ring for the rest of my life, it is said like you married the wrong guy and can never get a divorce. Again, i am not blaming anyone, it is just people have different opinion about the same item. i strongly suggest seeing the stone before making a purchase.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Niel|1412810751|3764545 said:

Put it up for sale, maybe even consignment. You'll be able to recoup some of your money, and you can take a step back, not wear a ring for a while, maybe rethink it and start fresh.

Its just a ring, if you dont like it sell it and start over. I had to do the exact same so I know the feeling.

I have no idea how to sell a diamond ring? Where can i list it? How can I minimize loss? Or how much i can sell it for? Pawn shops? Aren't their price extremely low?? Only if i can sell it at a small loss! Anyone is nice enough to provide some information about where and how to sell a diamond ring?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you should be looking to trade up your diamond for another that is cut with a different facet structure.
I have not read all theis old thread again - but what:
colour
clarity
Ct weight
dimensions
And have you asked the original vendor for a trade in trade up?
Perhaps you can drop in colour and clarity and get a cash neutral deal?
Alternatively, put a smaller stone in the setting with a rubbed in bezel setting.

Because it seems you love the ring, and only hate the diamond?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1412815519|3764600 said:
Niel|1412810751|3764545 said:

I have no idea how to sell a diamond ring? Where can i list it? How can I minimize loss? Or how much i can sell it for? Pawn shops? Aren't their price extremely low?? Only if i can sell it at a small loss! Anyone is nice enough to provide some information about where and how to sell a diamond ring?

Id look into consignment here

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/consignments

or Ive also heard good old gold is a nice place to consign too. They get a fair price for your ring because they usually get % of the sale, so its in there best interest to sell at a fair price. Plus, people feel more comfortable buying from a reputable vendor over a private seller

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sad to read you lost your mother. That is the pits of the pits. So sorry.

It doesn't matter as I can tell you really don't care for your diamond, but, to my eye your ring is gorgeous. If you ever decide to move in consigning it I'm sure the right person is out there who will love it, bow tie and all.

Best to you.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thank you all above for the nice people who replied,
I am very blue and down, your girls' kind words and help are really helpful. After debating it
myself, I decided to write Mark at EDR an email in the most sincere tone, try to explain i am not very happy with the stone and hopefully he will consider buyback his stone given they have a buyback policy. I will see how he replies and update here. About trading up, that is not a choice, I spent all my savings and borrowed for my mother's treatment, i wanted to save her more than anything, i am here only child and hope. i am not able to trade up, probably ever。 I will look into sell it if there is the only option, but that means to take a large loss, which means downsizing, the money from the sales of this stone probably only good for a smaller and lower grade stone, and if the stone is smaller, meaning the setting cannot be used, that is more loss to me. While, it seems no way out! Sometime when i think of these troubles and annoying things in life, I wish my mother has taken me with her, that way, I would not be upset about a ring any more!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1412822036|3764644 said:
Thank you all above for the nice people who replied,
I am very blue and down, your girls' kind words and help are really helpful. After debating it
myself, I decided to write Mark at EDR an email in the most sincere tone, try to explain i am not very happy with the stone and hopefully he will consider buyback his stone given they have a buyback policy. I will see how he replies and update here. About trading up, that is not a choice, I spent all my savings and borrowed for my mother's treatment, i wanted to save her more than anything, i am here only child and hope. i am not able to trade up, probably ever。 I will look into sell it if there is the only option, but that means to take a large loss, which means downsizing, the money from the sales of this stone probably only good for a smaller and lower grade stone, and if the stone is smaller, meaning the setting cannot be used, that is more loss to me. While, it seems no way out! Sometime when i think of these troubles and annoying things in life, I wish my mother has taken me with her, that way, I would not be upset about a ring any more!

You very well may take a loss. But consider the big picture. Your money is spent. Are you happy? Sounds to me like you are not. So would you rather have that ring, which you paid a fair price on but don't like, or another ring, probably worth a little less, but that you like more? IOW, sell it, get as you can, come back and we can help you find a simple solitaire and the most bang for your buck. That way, sure it might be worth less than your original ring, but that way you haven't spent more money and you get to wear a ring you like. I mean, what's a ring really worth to you of you don't like wearing it? I'd consign the whole ring, setting and all, and wait for the right buyer to scoop it up.

I just think its more of a waste of money to have a ring you don't like over taking the loss on resell and using the remaining to fund one you like.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
You very well may take a loss. But consider the big picture. Your money is spent. Are you happy? Sounds to me like you are not. So would you rather have that ring, which you paid a fair price on but don't like, or another ring, probably worth a little less, but that you like more? IOW, sell it, get as you can, come back and we can help you find a simple solitaire and the most bang for your buck. That way, sure it might be worth less than your original ring, but that way you haven't spent more money and you get to wear a ring you like. I mean, what's a ring really worth to you of you don't like wearing it? I'd consign the whole ring, setting and all, and wait for the right buyer to scoop it up.

I just think its more of a waste of money to have a ring you don't like over taking the loss on resell and using the remaining to fund one you like.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I was doing some research of the consignment, it charges 15% of the sales price, I guess this ring given its lack of sparkles, won't sell for much, if it only sells half of what I paid, and then less the 15%, I will end up loss 65% of what I paid for. Consignment seems to mean big loss, I will try to call the places others mentioned above and see how much I can expect. While, why my story is always the sad ones. ;( it should be the ring of my dream or at least a good ring.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Garry, the stone looks good on paper, I don't know why it does not sparkle or in other term has no "fire", I just saw another poster's oval ring here, hers has the sparkle in the picture, look at the pictures I posted both on page 1 and page 4, you can tell it is dull. Again, this was my first any only diamond purchase, i feel stupid and hopeless.

E color
VVS2
GIA certified.
1.07ct
No fluorescence
polish excellent
symmetry very good
dimensions 7.94*5.85*3.64
table 56%
depth 62.2%

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1412817035|3764610 said:
I think you should be looking to trade up your diamond for another that is cut with a different facet structure.
colour
clarity
Ct weight
dimensions
Alternatively, put a smaller stone in the setting with a rubbed in bezel setting.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Now look back to it, I should have been more careful, when I first received the GIA certificate number, I noticed that the stone was out in 2012, but by late 2013, it is still on the market, and I asked the vender is it because the stone is not good, and was told no, time not the market has nothing to do with performance of the stone. I guess this was the red flag that the stone was not sold for a long time.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Lilly, I'm truly sorry to hear that you lost your mother so recently. That must be devastating. My sympathies are with you.

Regarding your ring, my opinion based on what I read in this thread is that ovals are not the right shape for you. Even the best cut oval is not going to sparkle as much as a round, because ovals are asymmetrical and can't reflect light perfectly the way rounds can. My advice to you is to cut your losses and sell the ring.

Hugs to you.
puppy_hug.jpg

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
urseberry|1412829973|3764690 said:
Lilly, I'm truly sorry to hear that you lost your mother so recently. That must be devastating. My sympathies are with you.

Regarding your ring, my opinion based on what I read in this thread is that ovals are not the right shape for you. Even the best cut oval is not going to sparkle as much as a round, because ovals are asymmetrical and can't reflect light perfectly the way rounds can. My advice to you is to cut your losses and sell the ring.

Hugs to you.
puppy_hug.jpg

thanks a lot for the kind words. I did not have time or in the mood to care about the ring in the past 12 months. I only recently took the ring out and wore it a few times. I understand that oval will not shine as round, but comparing to the other poster's picture here, the stone of my ring is still very dull. I am considering selling it, but meanwhile, I am also afraid that the loss will be too deep for me to swallow. Anyway, probably too much bad things happened to me in the past year, it makes me more upset when I look at the ring.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lilly2013|1412828597|3764677 said:
Garry, the stone looks good on paper, I don't know why it does not sparkle or in other term has no "fire", I just saw another poster's oval ring here, hers has the sparkle in the picture, look at the pictures I posted both on page 1 and page 4, you can tell it is dull. Again, this was my first any only diamond purchase, i feel stupid and hopeless.

E color
VVS2
GIA certified.
1.07ct
No fluorescence
polish excellent
symmetry very good
dimensions 7.94*5.85*3.64
table 56%
depth 62.2%

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1412817035|3764610 said:
colour
clarity
Ct weight
dimensions

That is great news!
I promise you in a setting not even an expert out on the street (out of a lab) can tell the difference between E and G and most SI1's against what you have.
Add Fluoro and the color can look D plus and cost even less.
You may be able to come away with money in purse!
you will need to do some work - but really Mark is the man - engage him, he is an expert with fancy shapes and a good bloke (I am aussie remember)
see there are over 400 stones listed here and possibly 10-20 will sing your song!
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/U7rKuEOy

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I am sorry about your mother.

I think what you should have done back when you bought the stone is returned it, sold the setting on Loupetroop or DiamondBistro (setting only no stone) privately yourself and taken a hit on that and purchased a round brilliant.

What you are talking about seeing in Costco, I believe is a difference in the type of cut. Well cut round brilliants do have more fire and sparkly generally than Ovals do, and I think you might be much happier with a RB than any Oval.

Obviously a year later it is still bothering you, so unfortunately at some point since you would not for what ever reasons you had trade in what you had at the time, are going to take a loss on what you paid for this ring.

I would still suggest asking Mark if they would trade in your stone only. And sell your original setting via Loupetroop

http://loupetroop.com/

Or DiamondBistro;

http://www.diamondbistro.com/

If Mark will not do a swap you could try listing your entire ring on both the above mentioned sites as it is free to list it on them, but you need to understand you are never going to recover what you paid for this ring.

So your choices are unfortunately live with it and be happy with it, find another oval that you do like, or sell it take the hit now or in the future and buy something else.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
That is great news!
I promise you in a setting not even an expert out on the street (out of a lab) can tell the difference between E and G and most SI1's against what you have.
you will need to do some work - but really Mark is the man - engage him, he is an expert with fancy shapes and a good bloke (I am aussie remember)
see there are over 400 stones listed here and possibly 10-20 will sing your song!
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/U7rKuEOy[/quote]

Garry, thanks again for your reply, although I don't quite get it why you said it is great news, do you mean I can sell the stone without loss? is it even possible? I thought the 4 Cs should result in a stone on "fire" in your terms, but mine is not, doesn't it affect value?

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1412832992|3764710 said:
Hi, I am sorry about your mother.

I think what you should have done back when you bought the stone is returned it, sold the setting on Loupetroop or DiamondBistro (setting only no stone) privately yourself and taken a hit on that and purchased a round brilliant.

What you are talking about seeing in Costco, I believe is a difference in the type of cut. Well cut round brilliants do have more fire and sparkly generally than Ovals do, and I think you might be much happier with a RB than any Oval.

Obviously a year later it is still bothering you, so unfortunately at some point since you would not for what ever reasons you had trade in what you had at the time, are going to take a loss on what you paid for this ring.

I would still suggest asking Mark if they would trade in your stone only. And sell your original setting via Loupetroop

http://loupetroop.com/

Or DiamondBistro;

http://www.diamondbistro.com/

If Mark will not do a swap you could try listing your entire ring on both the above mentioned sites as it is free to list it on them, but you need to understand you are never going to recover what you paid for this ring.

So your choices are unfortunately live with it and be happy with it, find another oval that you do like, or sell it take the hit now or in the future and buy something else.

Thanks a lot for the information, I will definitely check these website out! I don't think words can explain my concerns, i know oval does not reflect lights as round, but my stone comparing to other ovals, is still dull. see the picture of another poster's ring here, and compare it to my ring, you can tell the difference, her ring has a sparkle in the middle, mine looks like a glass.

_23061.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lilly2013|1412835711|3764723 said:
That is great news!
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/U7rKuEOy

Garry, thanks again for your reply, although I don't quite get it why you said it is great news, do you mean I can sell the stone without loss? is it even possible? I thought the 4 Cs should result in a stone on "fire" in your terms, but mine is not, doesn't it affect value? [/quote]

I mean high colour and high clarity are not advantages you need - and you paid more for those attributes.
Drop to G or (H with Fluroescence) and SI1 or VS2 and your replacement will cost less.
But learn about ASET, or post about prospects in RockyTalky (better section on Pricescope for this discussion) and you will get help from other 'Cut Nut's' to find a really sparkly diamonds.
\
BTW you can not compare your diamond to other peoples photos' Stop it you naughty girl! :rolleyes:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have really dark and not particularly good pics, so you cannot apples for apples compare photos on here of people that have ovals and expensive camera equipment. The fact that you like the Costco stones better and the sparkle of the smaller stone is suggesting to me it's ovals in general that are the problem.

If Mark originally said its a decent oval then I tend to think it is a decent oval. Have you given it a really good clean lately? A lot of people complain about the lack of fire in diamonds and they do not clean them properly.

Hopefully you can either find one that you do like that is a slightly lower colour, but I think you should also be considering swapping the stone for a decently cut round brilliant and selling your setting.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1412837260|3764729 said:
You have really dark and not particularly good pics, so you cannot apples for apples compare photos on here of people that have ovals and expensive camera equipment. The fact that you like the Costco stones better and the sparkle of the smaller stone is suggesting to me it's ovals in general that are the problem.

If Mark originally said its a decent oval then I tend to think it is a decent oval. Have you given it a really good clean lately? A lot of people complain about the lack of fire in diamonds and they do not clean them properly.

Hopefully you can either find one that you do like that is a slightly lower colour, but I think you should also be considering swapping the stone for a decently cut round brilliant and selling your setting.

Thanks for the advice, I am exploring the possibility of selling it. I don't think the picture is dark, I was under the very bright light when I took the picture. And since I literally did not wearing it more than 10 days since I got the ring, I don't think cleaning will make it better. I compared it to oval ring at costco and in the mall, the stone does not have color, which is a pro, but as far as the sparkles are concerned, even stones with lower Cs, i mean oval stones, seem to have more fire than mine, this is the most disappointment part to me.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I mean high colour and high clarity are not advantages you need - and you paid more for those attributes.
Drop to G or (H with Fluroescence) and SI1 or VS2 and your replacement will cost less.
But learn about ASET, or post about prospects in RockyTalky (better section on Pricescope for this discussion) and you will get help from other 'Cut Nut's' to find a really sparkly diamonds.
\
BTW you can not compare your diamond to other peoples photos' Stop it you naughty girl! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thank you very much for patiently answering my questions. I appreciate your advice very much and will try to follow, but i am confused, so my stone is good quality or not? I tried to follow the Cs, but it seems the grade does not equal to quality, or is it? is this a bad stone or good stone. I know overpaid for the stone, but do you mean the Cs are good ? if so, does it mean I will suffer a smaller loss when selling it? I don't even know how much to price it when list it for sale.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1412838580|3764734 said:
arkieb1|1412837260|3764729 said:

Thanks for the advice, I am exploring the possibility of selling it. I don't think the picture is dark, I was under the very bright light when I took the picture. And since I literally did not wearing it more than 10 days since I got the ring, I don't think cleaning will make it better. I compared it to oval ring at costco and in the mall, the stone does not have color, which is a pro, but as far as the sparkles are concerned, even stones with lower Cs, i mean oval stones, seem to have more fire than mine, this is the most disappointment part to me.

O.K I think that it is great that you have compared it next to other ovals, so we have more of an idea it is not all ovals it is THIS oval in particular. In that case, keep the setting and either see if Mark would be willing to swap the stone for a slightly lower coloured one that has a cut that you like better, or see if you can trade it or sell it via another vendor, or sell it privately yourself.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry about your mom. That must be so devastating. *BIG HUG* to you.

About the ring. You hate it. You spent a large amount of money on it. Would you rather have something you hate, sitting in a box. Or would you rather have $5,000+? Yes, you WILL take a loss on selling the ring, but what's the point on having a ring you hate sitting in a box for the rest of your life?

I spent $10,000 on my first engagement ring (bought it myself). That marriage fell apart. I sold the ring for $4,000, and ebay took another $250 in listing fees, not to mention another $150 or so in Paypal fees. So really, I sold it for like $3700. That too was a HUGE loss, but what was the point in keeping something that I didn't want?

Sell it, swallow the fact that you lost money and truly move on. You can do a lot with $5,000.

*more hugs*

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
thanks a lot for sharing your story. i am looking into selling it. However, if it ends up withe a loss that big, my marriage will probably be over! We already had several big fights about this, he already thinks i am so stupid to spend life savings on something that is a "crap", if i sell it for a loss that deep, it will just be a war. This stone should not have been used in the first place, only if a good stone was used, I would be a happy bride and owner, but sadly I am not because of this ring!
H
HappyNewLife|1412872764|3764877 said:
I'm so sorry about your mom. That must be so devastating. *BIG HUG* to you.

About the ring. You hate it. You spent a large amount of money on it. Would you rather have something you hate, sitting in a box. Or would you rather have $5,000+? Yes, you WILL take a loss on selling the ring, but what's the point on having a ring you hate sitting in a box for the rest of your life?

I spent $10,000 on my first engagement ring (bought it myself). That marriage fell apart. I sold the ring for $4,000, and ebay took another $250 in listing fees, not to mention another $150 or so in Paypal fees. So really, I sold it for like $3700. That too was a HUGE loss, but what was the point in keeping something that I didn't want?

Sell it, swallow the fact that you lost money and truly move on. You can do a lot with $5,000.

*more hugs*

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not just sell it and not buy another ring? You're husband would prefer you have a ring you don't wear or sell a ring you don't wear?

Keep the money for something else if its too much of a hot button issue.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Lilly- it sounds like you have had a lot of trauma in your life recently and I am sorry you have this diamond that represents another negative thing for you. I sold my ring on idonowidont.com for very close to what I originally paid for it. The listing is free and they take 15% commission. Your GIA report and diamond stats are definitely in your favor for someone who is looking for a high color high clarity stone.

I recommend soaking it in warm soapy water and scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush. Then like others have suggested, try taking a couple more pictures to see if you can get something that is a little more clear. Then you can post it with the great stats and we can help you craft the posting. Something like- custom made hand forged diamond halo ring from Engagement rings direct. Center diamond is GIA cert E color VvS2 clarity. Ring is amazing. Looking to help pay off medical bills. Include GIA certified E vvs2 in the header.

If you think it will cause too much strife in your marriage, then I would also reach out to ERD and ask them to find you another stone. You may have to go down in color or clarity, but that's okay if you like the cut better. You can exchange pictures back and forth until you find the right Diamond.

Also, I am sorry if I am overstepping my boundaries but I am wondering if you belong to a church, community organization or if your mothers hospital has grief counseling resources. I think we all need support when we go through such difficult times and it breaks my heart the pain you are currently going through. I wish you and your husband much love.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lily - I agree this ring has come to signify a negative period in your life. You mother's passing (my condolences), arguing with your husband, perhaps financial stress and you feel like this one thing was a huge mistake that makes you look a fool. :think:

Personally I think it's a stunning ring, amazing craftsmanship, good stats and it is positively massive - anyone would be lucky to have this. Seriously - you cannot cry poor over this $10K purchase. It IS sparkly and beautiful - we have seen the photos to prove it! Perhaps try giving it a thorough clean?

I think your emotion around this has clouded your judgement. With each post - your comments about it seem to become more and more negative. It's seems a very minor bow-tie to me and perhaps ovals are just not your style of stone after all. As PS suggested you should have returned the centre stone to Mark at ERD within the 30 days. If you still hate it, Mark may be willing to work with you on trading in the centre stone.

I think it would be best to either:
1. Work with Mark for a replacement; or
2. Sell it on consignment and accept a loss - move on; or
3. Put it away and wear a CZ for a while. Just forget about it completely until you feel less emotional about it. One day you may pull it out again and realise it is a pretty thing that deserves to sit proudly on your finger.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
HotPozzum|1412900020|3765130 said:
Lily - I agree this ring has come to signify a negative period in your life. You mother's passing (my condolences), arguing with your husband, perhaps financial stress and you feel like this one thing was a huge mistake that makes you look a fool. :think:

Personally I think it's a stunning ring, amazing craftsmanship, good stats and it is positively massive - anyone would be lucky to have this. Seriously - you cannot cry poor over this $10K purchase. It IS sparkly and beautiful - we have seen the photos to prove it! Perhaps try giving it a thorough clean?

I think your emotion around this has clouded your judgement. With each post - your comments about it seem to become more and more negative. It's seems a very minor bow-tie to me and perhaps ovals are just not your style of stone after all. As PS suggested you should have returned the centre stone to Mark at ERD within the 30 days. If you still hate it, Mark may be willing to work with you on trading in the centre stone.

I think it would be best to either:
1. Work with Mark for a replacement; or
2. Sell it on consignment and accept a loss - move on; or
3. Put it away and wear a CZ for a while. Just forget about it completely until you feel less emotional about it. One day you may pull it out again and realise it is a pretty thing that deserves to sit proudly on your finger.

thank you very much for your long reply and for caring about my frustration. I only wish it is as nice as you described. I took the ring to a local jeweler trying to get it appraised, but it costs much, but a nice lady at the store inspected the ring for me, the good news is that it is clean just as the GIA grade indicates, color is good too, she agreed that it is somewhat lack of sparkle, and said the bow tie is mid size, but it is not dark, to her the bow tie is light grey, which not too bad. People at the store also mentioned that diamond price has dropped since when i purchased, they don't think it is a good time to sell. [/b

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps just put it away safely for now and wear a simple band for a while? :wavey: Lots of pretty ones on Etsy.

I unfortunately lost my original engagement ring many years ago and had to make do with just my plain wedding band for nearly 5 years until we could afford to replace it (stupidly it wasn't insured!). It also gave me time to think about my personal tastes in jewellery and my new ring is quite different! I also learnt a lot more about jewellery & gems from PS in the meanwhile which helped me make a more informed choice. :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results