shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Gold (Show me your 14k vs. 18k or explain the diff!)

morgin

Rough_Rock
I'm working with ERD trying to explain the tone of rose gold I want.

This is their 18k rose gold:

This is the tone I want:

They are more than happy to work with me to get the right blend of alloys to achieve the colour I want, but I was hoping some of you who have had rose gold pieces made could shed some light on 14k vs.18+k so that I might be able to provide some more knowledgable input to them in the CAD process. Pics of your rose gold bling and any description of the alloy blend would be helpful!

Thanks!

_4863.jpg

_4864.jpg

_4865.jpg

il_570xn_424915069_1.jpg

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Rose Gold (Show me your 14k vs. 18k or explain the diff!

I'm not able to see your photos... :((

morgin

Rough_Rock

Fixed!!!

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock

Hi!

I believe (I hope someone with more knowledge will chime in!) that the rose that you want has a more pinkish/redish hue because it has a higher percentage of copper blended with the gold.

So, the first example (ERD's pics) are probably a higher gold blend (maybe 75/25 gold to copper which I think = 18k rose gold) and the one that you want may have a higher copper amount because it is much more 'rosy' for lack of a better word (maybe 50/50 or 60/40 which is think is more like the 14k rose gold)

Again, I hope someone who knows this stuff better will chime in!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi morgin,

With rose gold, what makes it pink in color is the copper in the alloy. 18k gold is 75% gold, 25% alloy, whereas 14k gold is 58% gold and 42% alloy. SO, 14k rose gold is pinker in hue than 18k, simply because there is more copper alloy. 18k rose gold can sometimes look almost like a peachy, goldy pink because there is more yellow hue as pure gold is yellow.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock

14k is more rosey, 18k more apricot/peachy looking.

I'd go for the 14k according to your inspiration pictures. :))

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm getting earrings made and my jeweler suggested we go with 14k rose gold instead of 18k because 14k has a rosier look to it and 18k can sometimes look too brassy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

18k is 75% Au (by weight) as Laila said, combo of Au + Cu + other alloys (Ag is common) determines colour.
My advice - find a bit of RG you like IRL and ship it to them to match, and let them worry about exact compositions of different alloys. Matching colour exactly just from pictures would be impossible how much colour can vary depending on lighting, photography, background, reflections...

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Hi Morgin,

Check out my thread below on the differences in tones of rose gold between 14k and 18k. I had exactly the same issue. The thread contains pix of 18k rose gold and 14k next to each other. I also have a few BGD pieces in 14k rose gold, and a 14k rose gold scatter ring. They are all the pink tone that you like. Bottom line: if you want the pink colour, you need 14k not 18k. You would never know my Tiffany 18k rose gold was rose gold unless you were wearing deep yellow clothing.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-re-tiffanys-rose-gold.172643/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-re-tiffanys-rose-gold.172643/[/URL]

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

this is my 18k red gold chain necklace.
unless laid next to an 18k gold chain, most don't even notice the difference.
the difference, imo, between 18k red and 14k pink gold is very very noticeable.
if you like the pinker look, then 14k is the way to go.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock

I have a 14 k rose gold chain with an 18k rose gold pendant. It's not noticeably different because of the chain's texture. That said, the descriptions given above are totally accurate. My jeweler primarily works with 18k rose, and I love it. The color is softer - less brassy, in a way. I think 18k rose also has a little bold less contrast with yellow (and white), so I like mixing metals a lot more than I thought I would. On the flip side, when I try to wear rg costume jewelry, it looks totally off with my rg ring. Will try to dig up a link to the cross; I think there is a pic in with the thread on my rg 5 stone.

Eta: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/five-years-five-beautiful-oecs.176766/

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Hi Morgin, did you ever get your ring done by ERD in rose gold and get the tone you want? I want to have them do my ring too, however my big hesitation is exactly yours, I think their rose gold looks yellow! I know the 18k is less pink than 14k but, the 18k looks so yellow that I am hesitant about even the 14k... Just wondering if it worked out for you because I'd love to use them, thanks! Your other 2 pics of the rose gold are exactly what shade I'm looking for too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jillianfl|1395618821|3640083 said:
Hi Morgin, did you ever get your ring done by ERD in rose gold and get the tone you want? I want to have them do my ring too, however my big hesitation is exactly yours, I think their rose gold looks yellow! I know the 18k is less pink than 14k but, the 18k looks so yellow that I am hesitant about even the 14k... Just wondering if it worked out for you because I'd love to use them, thanks! Your other 2 pics of the rose gold are exactly what shade I'm looking for too!

Here is her finished ring. I don't recall seeing her on the forum for quite awhile.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-1-23-ct-platinum-rose-gold-vintage-halo-chris-erd.189639/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-1-23-ct-platinum-rose-gold-vintage-halo-chris-erd.189639/[/URL]

krish82

Rough_Rock

jillianfl|1395618821|3640083 said:

Hi! my engagement ring is going to be in 18k rose gold! you will see the difference between a yellow gold and 18k rose gold in person, but a little bit more difficult to see the difference pictures!

These are the common mixture of rose/pink gold:
18K Rose Gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver

18K Pink Gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver

I personally love the 18k pink gold with 5% silver since it's not as yellow as yellow gold, and not as coppery/pink as 14k rose gold. There are also going to be a more pink 18k rose gold with 75%gold and 25%copper mixture, or you can go with a 14k rose gold for a pinker color.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Thanks so much guys for the info! That ring was stunning! For me I think I will have to go with 14k rose gold b/c that 18k rose gold was still too yellow for me, plus my center stone is an L color faint brown designation, so really need more of that pink tone in the rose gold to make it look like a rosier brown stone. (Although in many lights it still looks practically white to me with just a hint of warmth!) Thanks so much for posting the metal content as well... do you have a reference for metal content for 14k rose gold by chance?

krish82

Rough_Rock

jillianfl|1395670732|3640381 said:
Thanks so much guys for the info! That ring was stunning! For me I think I will have to go with 14k rose gold b/c that 18k rose gold was still too yellow for me, plus my center stone is an L color faint brown designation, so really need more of that pink tone in the rose gold to make it look like a rosier brown stone. (Although in many lights it still looks practically white to me with just a hint of warmth!) Thanks so much for posting the metal content as well... do you have a reference for metal content for 14k rose gold by chance?

From what I know 14k will consist of 58.3% gold, but I'm not sure if the 41.7% left will all consist of copper, or maybe other metals are also mixed but probably not that much since they would probably want to maintain that copper/pink gold. You could always ask them this since jewelers will usually mix different kind of metals (other countries might do it a little different too), like instead of silver, they will probably use palladium etc. (I think). I'm no expert, but these are the things that I found out with my own research about American rose gold and Japanese pink gold (I live in Japan).

krish82

Rough_Rock

By the way, here are some pictures of my 18k rose gold ring and 14k rose gold earring. You probably won't be able to tell much because the letters on the ring are so small, but the letters are 18k yellow gold, while the band itself is 18k pink gold. The other picture is a picture of my 18k rose gold ring with my 14k rose gold earring.

Sorry, these are the best that my phone can take as of now lol.

_16160.jpg

_16161.jpg

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

They are great pics, I am definitely able to tell the difference! Thank you so much! That does confirm that I think I need 14k to compliment the loose diamond I have... But the 18k does look so pretty and shiny, too! I think I will need more of that pink tone that you have in the rose of the earring for mine. I think if I had a white stone I'd want the 18k rose gold, but since it's faint tint I think I will need the 14k.

krish82

Rough_Rock

Yes, I do think a pinker color will definitely compliment darker stones! I've seen champagne colored stones that look very pretty in 14k gold, and it also made the stone a little pinker! Are you about to get your engagement ring custom made?

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Yes (well it's my upgrade ring) and I am going for the "trying to make the darker stone pinkier" look :) I have an L faint brown but compared to pics of other L faint browns I have seen online (all GIA graded) it looks surprisingly lighter to me! I almost wish I found maybe an M-N lol, but maybe once the rose gold gets around it it will show more color? It just seems slightly "off white" now, but outside looks white... I really do like the color to it, it makes it unique to me, I knew to get a larger size stone I wanted I was going to have to go darker on color scale, but I am really surprised by how much more I am liking that it isn't real white! If only I had used the forums before I bought or I would have tried to hold out for an OEC! My new favorite haha. This one is a cushion modified brilliant, it does have the crushed ice look that a lot of pricescopers dont seem to like as much, but it has a lot of sparkle. It also has med. fluor and when I bring it out on sunny day, the stone looks like a pale purple, I think it is really cool at least! I like being different :) But yeah I'm hoping that the rose gold will really make it a stunner!

krish82

Rough_Rock

jillianfl|1395754751|3640982 said:
Yes (well it's my upgrade ring) and I am going for the "trying to make the darker stone pinkier" look :) I have an L faint brown but compared to pics of other L faint browns I have seen online (all GIA graded) it looks surprisingly lighter to me! I almost wish I found maybe an M-N lol, but maybe once the rose gold gets around it it will show more color? It just seems slightly "off white" now, but outside looks white... I really do like the color to it, it makes it unique to me, I knew to get a larger size stone I wanted I was going to have to go darker on color scale, but I am really surprised by how much more I am liking that it isn't real white! If only I had used the forums before I bought or I would have tried to hold out for an OEC! My new favorite haha. This one is a cushion modified brilliant, it does have the crushed ice look that a lot of pricescopers dont seem to like as much, but it has a lot of sparkle. It also has med. fluor and when I bring it out on sunny day, the stone looks like a pale purple, I think it is really cool at least! I like being different :) But yeah I'm hoping that the rose gold will really make it a stunner!

Yeah if it is just faint brown then maybe the color of the setting could easily go through the diamond and will make it look pinker, but I've never tried that nor have I actually a darker stone set in rose gold in person, but in pictures they're definitely gorgeous! and you're right, If I got a darker stone, I'd probably go for a more brownish color instead of just a hint of color and set it in rose gold as well! I bet vintage cut stone would look even better!

krish82

Rough_Rock

jillianfl|1395754751|3640982 said:

Alright so I finally got my ring! And they made a huge mistake!!! We wanted 18k... and now it's 14k... Although it's beautiful, it was a bit annoying how they made a mistake and we asked them about it and they called the jeweler... And the jeweler said that 18k rose gold does not exist... Of course I didn't believe the BS!, but most of all they accepted the responsibility of making the 18k and now that we've paid it's 14k?! Lol sorry for venting here haha. Anyway they refunded us $380 and we decided to accept it and maybe upgrade the setting in a couple years, and it's still beautiful anyway. Oh, it was Kay's jewelers btw... Boo...

_16346.jpg

_16347.jpg

krish82

Rough_Rock

Here's a better picture I think!

_16348.jpg

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

I love it!! I love the color of it and it is so nice and shiny. I absolutely love it but can definitely understand the whole expecting and paying for something and receiving something else... I'd be pissed too in that way, however I think it came out awesome, and it will be more durable in 14k. I wish my original ring was 14k so it would be more durable. I think in time you'll be happier and that it was the not getting what you expected part that was the problem but not the ring itself? (which I completely understand I'd be the same about it!) But the final product is awesome! I can't believe they told you there is no such thing as 18k though, that is crazy haha. Glad they gave you some $$ back! I looked on their site for rose gold settings I didn't see any, did they custom make it for you?

krish82

Rough_Rock

jillianfl|1396209286|3643929 said:
I love it!! I love the color of it and it is so nice and shiny. I absolutely love it but can definitely understand the whole expecting and paying for something and receiving something else... I'd be pissed too in that way, however I think it came out awesome, and it will be more durable in 14k. I wish my original ring was 14k so it would be more durable. I think in time you'll be happier and that it was the not getting what you expected part that was the problem but not the ring itself? (which I completely understand I'd be the same about it!) But the final product is awesome! I can't believe they told you there is no such thing as 18k though, that is crazy haha. Glad they gave you some $$ back! I looked on their site for rose gold settings I didn't see any, did they custom make it for you?

It is a very pretty ring and I still love it especially that my now husband (did our paper work marriage today :D) worked hard and checked on the ring all the time because yes, it is a custom made ring, so it took 7 weeks I think? We still need to get the diamond check out tomorrow just to make sure they didn't replace it lol. Are you going to have your ring made yet?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are numerous Pricescope threads on gold color, many of them dealing with what makes gold redder. I will look for some.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1396340731|3644853 said:
There are numerous Pricescope threads on gold color, many of them dealing with what makes gold redder. I will look for some.

Thread on gold color...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/swedish-gold-what-would-you-call-this-color-gold.165208/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/swedish-gold-what-would-you-call-this-color-gold.165208/[/URL]
Another thread on gold color...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gold-metal-colors.24134/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gold-metal-colors.24134/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results