shape
carat
color
clarity

RB to OEC recut: Before and After Pics

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim, my stone is a GIA Ex, and he said the pavilion angle needs to be higher than what we normally would buy in a rb in order to cut it to the right proportions. My pav angle is close to 41, but he would want it higher than that before recutting in order to keep ideal light performance. So I am glad I asked him and now I know I just need to buy an AVR if I want one!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Kim, my stone is a GIA Ex, and he said the pavilion angle needs to be higher than what we normally would buy in a rb in order to cut it to the right proportions. My pav angle is close to 41, but he would want it higher than that before recutting in order to keep ideal light performance. So I am glad I asked him and now I know I just need to buy an AVR if I want one!

Thanks, DS!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
twosanguinehearts|1342737609|3236874 said:
GreenBling|1342693796|3236526 said:
I'm day dreaming about recutting a 3.5 SI2 I good into a 3 VS1 F Ex :tongue:

@twosanguinehearts - mind if I asked how the price was determined for your recut?

SS had a set price of a few hundred dollars per carat. I'm not sure if they want me posting the price here or not, but I'm sure they can tell you if you call them!

Thank you =)

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the "new" stone!! This was a fabulous idea... people often forget about the recutting option (be it a better more ideal cut or an older cut) when the desire for a new stone hits.

I hope you love it and wear it in good health!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I am curious for the education of this post...isn't a recut risky? I am in NO way being a wet blanket on the OP's decision and success. As I said before, it is amazing!
But those perusing the site may not know the risks. When I was buying my old stones, the question came up because the one I wear has slight "abrasions" on the facet junctions. So I thought, if I am going to wear it forever, I might as well give it a tune up while it is loose.
Erica explained the positives and negatives of recutting. The negative being that there is always a chance of the diamond cracking. In this case, my insurance coverage on it would be void. They don't cover a recut.
I would love to hear the experts' thoughts. Is this something to weigh into whether it is worth it to recut a stone or just find one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe that would make a great new post on Rocky Talky, vinjewels! It would be a good discussion for many people considering recuts.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet you anything you start a trend. Really gorgeous recut!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results