shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP VOTE (Custom E-Ring)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucia401

Rough_Rock
I have put together two designs for my engagement ring (Yes, I am desiging my own e-ring! How exciting!)
Those two designs shown below are inspired by a ring I saw on the web. Can anyone pls vote to help me decide? I really dunno which one I should go with.

The diamond will be in the .65 -.75 range. It will sit closer to the finger for safety and hopefully less abuse.
I believe the final outcome of the ring will look different from my drawing since my images don''t show the requisite engineering (I know nothing about jewelry design
41.gif
)

Thank you for helping!!!!!

#1 - 3 Hearts

concerns:
Will the 3 prongs hold the stone securely?
Would the hearts block too much light from entering the diamond?
There will be soil build up between the stone and mounting and make it hard to clean.

CustomDesign_3Hearts.jpg

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2005 8:15:43 PM
Author:Sheep

I have put together two designs for my engagement ring (Yes, I am desiging my own e-ring! How exciting!)
Those two designs shown below are inspired by a ring I saw on the web. Can anyone pls vote to help me decide? I really dunno which one I should go with.

The diamond will be in the .65 -.75 range. It will sit closer to the finger for safety and hopefully less abuse.
I believe the final outcome of the ring will look different from my drawing since my images don''t show the requisite engineering (I know nothing about jewelry design
41.gif
)

Thank you for helping!!!!!

#1 - 3 Hearts

concerns:
There will be soil build up between the stone and mounting and make it hard to clean.
Welcome to PS!

I personally like the 2 hearts design a little better...but do choose the design that most appeals to you and good luck!
emotion-5.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Personally I prefer the way the first design accents the stone and I think it will serve to make the diamond look larger. Both are lovely!

lucia401

Rough_Rock
Thank you DeannaBana and Jellybean.
26.gif

Jellybean - I didn''t know Whiteflash has a design like that. Similiar idea. Compared to that, my design looks so simple.

Faerievert

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the 2 heart. I just think 4 prongs effect looks nicer.

kelley1975

Shiny_Rock
I also like #2...both are pretty, but I think I like the top-down view of #2 the best. It''s so much fun to get to create your own ring!! Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 4 prong aspect of the 2nd but I don''t think it finishes out the look of the ring very well...I think the 1st one does that with the 3 hearts forming somewhat of a visual bezel around the whole diamond. The 2nd one just does it on left and right. I like the side profile of the 2nd one better but I really like the head on visual of the 1st better. So if that helps AT ALL (haha!) then that''s what I think. I think that 3 prongs could be safe to hold the diamond but consider doing split ''finger'' prongs so that you actually have SIX tiny prongs rather than 3...it may add to the visual of the delicate setting also to have the 6 split fingers rather than 3 regular prongs.

I really like the idea! Great designs.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I vote for design #2 2 hearts... I think it looks a little less "busy" and it showcases the diamond more... good luck!!!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like #2 as well. One thing I don''t love is the butter cup overhang????

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Wow- I''m really impressed with both designs and the work you''re showing us here! Where were you when I was trying to visualize the e-ring we''re having made right now
3.gif
You could''ve made a lot of $$ off me!

I really love the profile shot of the 3-heart design, 1st version- it really looks lovely from the side, but from the top the 3 hearts remind me of "illusion rings"- very pretty in their own right but your center stone will be far from small and doesn''t need a lot of extra metal showing from the top to trick the eye.

Guess all my rambling means I''d go with #2
1.gif

Can''t wait to see what you decide!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to go against the grain here, because I overwhelmingly prefer the first design with the 3 hearts underneath the diamond. I think it gives a more "finished," uniform look to the setting and frames the center stone so delicately and femininely. Something about the 2 heart design bothers me - likely because there''s swooping metal under 2 sides of the ring only. Just my opinion, but I vote for #1.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I very much prefer the 3-heart design.....very curvy, romantic looking, and really sets off the stone. The 2-heart version just looks a bit unfinished to me, and the metal sticking out of the sides looks a bit lost.

However, I like the split prongs on your first ring and not the 6 evenly spaced prongs in the bottom right corner of that version. As Mara said, split prongs in that ring at 2 'clock, 6 oclock, and 10 o'clock would be LOVELY.

Wow - that is just such a PRETTY design.....very thoughtful. I also like how the prongs in profile curve and shape to hearts, too. Very nice.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
#1, What a great design, I love it!

anika

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
I also like the first design- hearts; it seems more symmetrical in that its around the whole stone vs just to the sides.
Can you make four prongs ie have prongs at 2, 4,8,10 oclock?
Lovely design,

Anika

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second setting personally.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Sheep,

Both designs are great, but I prefer #1.
I like that it is more symmetrical.
Also, it looks very much like a flower when viewed from the top.

Question. How would the design look if you make it an open heart instead of a solid heart?
I saw one ring design in the Less Than 1 Carat thread that uses the open heart design for the prong.
Pretty elegant from the side view.

Very creative ideas you have there.

Rube

Shiny_Rock
I vote #1. I love the bezel look from the top and the three sets of split prongs. It does look more finished (to me), and is a very nice design.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 - beautiful!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
#2!

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
I''d choose #1.

The three hearts give a look of a flower in bloom and frames the diamond with such curvy shape.

Both are nice...I''m just drawn to the first.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2005 8:15:43 PM
Author:Sheep

Just some ideas along your ...
... concerns:

As good as four (meaning one prong bent lets the diamond loose)... less good than 6 (because it takes bending more than one prong to loose the diamond)

Not a problem, even full bezel settings do not make diamonds ''drab''.

Yes.
I am not sure I understood correctly - do you want girdle set heart shaped diamonds to form the bezel holding the center stone? That sounds nice, but you may need a wizard to make it and a large diamond in the middle to allow for feasible proportions overall.

Of course, I am not a jeweler, but I would definitely have a talk with one about technical constraints with such a project in mind.

There aren''t too many comparable ring designs - which is a good thing, but leaves allot of guesswork too...

J.B. Star makes a ring with the four prongs set with marquise diamonds - it holds one carat diamonds well... and larger ones for sure. However, marquise diamonds seem easier to handle in the setting than heart shapes of comparable size.

And then, well, this is somethins else... the flower buds made of pear shaped diamonds seem to be cousins of your dream ring (or at least of my interpretation of your description).

bells.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The part I do not understand in the design...

... there must be some space for the pavilion of the heart shapes (the larger, the more space) between the elements holding them and the center stone, and this is tricky if the hearts are set in the prongs that hold the center stone and hence have to get onto it not just close. This is less of a problem if the heart shapes are very small relative to the pieces of metal in which they are embedded (think - a large bezel with some relatively tiny heart shapes studded onto it). The designers of the J.B. Star solitaores went around the problem by using tiny and relatively flat diamonds (marquises) and the makers of that fantastic bracelet not only turned the pears upside down relative to how the hearts would sit next to the center stone in your ring, so that the thin tips allow room for the center stone, but then... the center stone is not held by the same platinum elements that hold the pears - those are briolletess hanging from smewhere between the pear diamonds.

Honestly, I think I would love one of those diamond buds in a pendant... but a ring sounds rather impractical.

The J.B. Star rings looks very beautiful, but I wonder how suitable is that fragile-looking design for every day wear. Also, if the marquises they use in the prongs are so small, they may look glassy and uninteresting in person - depending of what one''s expectations about such a ring are.

I hope these lines do not sound discouraging, I bet something can be done and an expereinced jewelry designer may even appreciated the evident challenge.
5.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of bud-shaped rings...

This can't look bad with a round stone!... or a river pebble, really
9.gif

375x375.aspx
Daniel K at Pearlmans'

Of course, the 'petal' elements are paved with diamonds, not made of relatively large ones.

The second concept (two diamond-set elements holding the centre stone) reminds me of this:

engagement_other_ribbon.jpg
The Ribbon ring by Tiffany

the pavilion view shows allot better what I mean.

Forgot about the vote... from the pictures you have posted I would rather go with the first - it is a very effective illusion setting that shows off the round shape of the diamond - the other may be more flattering with an oval stone (same observation goes for the Tiffany ring, IMO). Modern 'buttercup' settings are not much to talk about, but this ring seems like a very refined and updated version of this old model - Victorial two-tier flower settings seem related and those worked wonders making even very rough old cut diamonds look bright - really tall order. A modern rond brilliant may not need as much help, but it can't hurt either.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sort of project just great for reminding a talented jeweler how underused his R&D resources are!
11.gif

Thinking of Mark Morell (see mwmjewelry.com) actually.

threeloops.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results