shape
carat
color
clarity

Photography Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AggieTexan

Shiny_Rock
I''m mostly a lurker, but I REALLY want to post pictures of my new (20th Anniversary) ring. The problem is I''m having a difficult time taking a decent picture. Some of you take GORGEOUS pictures of your rings. Do you have any tips or suggestions for me? Thanks!

Cindy

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Step one - Use macro mode. It''s usually indicated by a flower icon. It lets you hold the camera nice and close
Step two - Use a tripod or some other method to hold the camera really really still.
Once you have those two you can experiment with flash and general lighting conditions to get the best pictures.

Also, if you search the forum there are other threads on this topic that may help you. Good luck! Can''t wait to see your ring!

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 9:43:34 AM
Author:AggieTexan
I''m mostly a lurker, but I REALLY want to post pictures of my new (20th Anniversary) ring. The problem is I''m having a difficult time taking a decent picture. Some of you take GORGEOUS pictures of your rings. Do you have any tips or suggestions for me? Thanks!

Cindy
Howdy fellow Texan... about half way down the first page of my thread I posted a picture of my photography set up.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-better-than-one-box-from-wf.67872/ As the other poster mentioned you must have a decent macro mode. My Cannon has two and the ''digital macro'' is best for really close up pictures. You can also play with the exposure setting. A trick you''ll see in that thread is to turn the ring boxes upside-down so you can get light onto the rings instead of shadow from the camera and your head. That will also make the stone look darker. If you are trying to get that ''arrows'' pattern you must be lined up perfectly in line with the center of the stone and exactly perpendicular. It is a bit tricky and impossible without a tripod. The cheapo one I used was about 8 bucks and I''ve had it for years. It folds up and collapses to fit in your pocket.

AggieTexan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the tips! I also have a Canon, so I''ll play with it today and see what I can come up with. Now if the sun would ever come out I might be able to get some decent outside shots!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ve gotten good tips!

I''ll only add, you don''t have to have a tripod, just a really steady hand. I don''t own a tripod, and have gotten many great shots, arrows included. Windowsills are good for showing them off too, and usually the most flattering for indoor lighting.

Outside lighting is best, but not in full sun unless you want fire shots. Bright, diffused lighting is very flattering to diamonds.

Can''t wait to see your pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results