carat
color
clarity

#TBT Pear Custom Ring

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All:

This is my first posting in SMTB. I bought this diamond from a neighbor's son (the family are all diamond brokers) after doing a lot of reading here on Pricescope and then taking the GIA courses in diamonds and colored stones. He was just starting out in the business. He was a "LOOK SHINY ROCK!" guy and I was "Give me the stats on the stone before I agree to even look at it."

The odd thing about it is that if someone had shown me the stats on the stone, the color in particular (K), I would not have chosen it. I saw the diamond IRL and the color was fine with me, and it was one lively and colorful little effer. I think because I see lots of old stones in the warmer colors around here, I was 'ready' for it.

Stats:
Weight: 1.24 ct
Pear brilliant
9.78 x 6.61 x 3.00 mm
Culet: Medium
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good (that was generous IMHO)
Clarity/Grade: VS1
Color/Grade: K
Fluorescence: Faint Blue (although fluorescence is not desirable I love it in this stone because its a blazing white fireball outside)

Its a really lively stone with lots of color and fire, which is what I like about diamonds.

The setting is custom made by Gilbert Gomez, who was tapped by Harry Winston to supervise WInston's jewelers in Asia. I asked for a random sprinkling of diamonds on the band, I wanted a tapering band, and I wanted as low a profile with the head as possible. I also asked for claw prongs and had to provide examples because the neighbor's kid had no idea what those were. Having this set was a challenge because neighbor kid wanted to 'run' the transaction of the setting and didn't understand why I had to speak to the jeweler. A 15-minute conversation with Gilbert got me the ring I wanted. He made it in a weekend.

sam_8.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, I LOVE your wedding ring. :love: Beautiful! Love the band and love the pear and I love the low profile. Beautiful, blingy and functional. The perfect combo. :appl:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! I love the look you have created with the pear shaped center stone and the scattered diamond band.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy and Sundial!

Its intimidating, posting a piece on SMTB.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way it looks from all angles. From the top, the contrast of the fancy shape and the smooth metal, and from the side it's lush. A masterwork that looks just so right on you.
Thanks for sharing!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.78 up and down ways is great finger coverage, congrats on your new stone and ring :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is really gorgeous Kristie! :love: Wow, what a pretty (and huge!) pear and the setting is so beautifully done, it looks perfect on your hand! Excellent job putting together this ring, So glad you posted it! :appl:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Your must feel like you are wearing a piece of art on your hand. Gorgeous pear! :love:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
ARen't you suppose to wear the point facing out so when you show it to people they can admire it. That's how I was told to wear my pear.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I would wear the pear with point facing me so I could admire it. I always wondered why people wore them the other way.

Your ring and diamond are gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Super cool setting & pretty diamond! Enjoy!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that the pear sits so low! So unique.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Super unique! I love pears and those types of scattered Diamond bands. Cool idea to put them together.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Love how low set he managed to make it, and the "sprinkling of diamonds" on the band is incredible, so unique and a wonderful touch! Pear cuts are my absolute favorite, and good ones are hard to find, so congratulations! It's wonderful. :) Thank you for sharing!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pear!! I love the diamonds on the shank. They shine like stars.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pear! :wavey: from another pear wearer!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Huge congrats Kristie! You know how I absolutely adore it, beautifully executed piece, very unique and stunning. So glad you posted here and dedicated a thread to your special piece.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmieanne, thank you for giving your insights and for saying such cool things about the ring. You have The Eye, you do!

Arkieb1, I thought it was a good proportion on my finger. I'm 5'9" so I was conscious of finger coverage. A RB large enough for my eyeball after being on PS was out of my price range when we bought this stone---so my next choice in shape was for a pear. Thank you for commenting! BTW, I posted a pic of my Westies on the Now I Really Did It thread and I have not forgotten you have Scotties, would love to see a pic of your Scotties!

Junebug, thank you, you can prowl through my jewelry box any time!

Crystal24K (love your handle btw, its gemmy and mineral-y and I love me some high carat gold) , what a wonderful thing to write, thank you!

Heididdl, I bet you're right! I'm still into the ring so I wear it so its good for ME, hahaha, but you're right about the perspective. No one was home when I took the pics so I had to operate the camera and position the ring so my hand looks awful of course. Thanks for chatting and looking at my ring!

Rena7, see above, hahaha, we both like to stare at our rings I see :bigsmile: Thank you!!!

Diamondseeker, thank you for the lovely compliments, I love reading your posts here.

Woofmama, thank you for admiring the setting, I know its different.

Nala, low profile is a must for me, I work with my hands all day. My first marriage, my engagement ring had a marquise diamond sitting waaaaay high (I had no input into that stone or ring at all) it snagged all my clothes, it snagged my students hands when we handed things back and forth, it was a real shark of a ring. I always thought if I ever remarried I would get a low profile setting.

Calliecake, you are a sweetheart and I appreciate your comments as always! I wanna see YOUR ER/wedding ring, I haven't seen it!

SparklySoprano, thank you so much for the kind words! I like your handle, do you wear your bling when you perform/sing?

Vintageinjune, thank you for your appreciation of the great job Gilbert did. He worked for a very famous jeweler right up until a month or so before I met him. This jeweler brought Gilbert over $1M worth of diamonds on Friday afternoon to make into a necklace for a client but the hitch was the client wanted the necklace by Monday morning. So famous jeweler offered Gilbert $20,000 to to do the job in the timeframe provided. Gilbert did the job, did an amazing necklace, and when famous jeweler showed up at Gilbert's house to pick up the necklace he tossed Gilbert $5k and said "Sue me if you want the rest." So when I met Gilbert and I was asking for specific prongs and band and random gypsy set stones on the band and a low profile head, he was not "into it" at all and I almost didn't go with him to set the stones. I'm glad I did, he did a great job. Harry Winston offered Gilbert a job supervising all his asian ops but Gilbert's wife wasn't about to live in Asia so he's in my community, all that talent.

Acinom, no, no, I love YOUR recent posting to SMTB. I visit your ring every week minimum, I love it. Its inspiring my setting of a 10-mm spessartite garnet cushion, BTW.

tyty333, I've always loved your avatar, so so pretty and WHITE!!!

Thanks to all for making SMTB a fun run for me :sun:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ovi, thank you Girlfriend! I love your yellow pear diamond, TDF!!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks, girlfriend.:))) I just kept thinking about this point facing us or facing out issue, you know I used to have people ask me all the time about heart rings why I wore them with the point facing me but I always do, I think we should do wear them the way we prefer, there is nothing set in stone, right?:))) Whatever looks right and feels right, I love the design the way it is in your ring.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pear diamond is gorgeous. The band you had custom designed is fabulous; I like the scattered diamonds it really makes a classy looking band. I bet it sparkles like crazy in sunlight. Very pretty! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results