carat
color
clarity

Old european cut three stone ring by 23rd Street Jewelers

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Old european cut three stone ring by 23rd Street Jeweler

Love the new pics and the pics with Mara's stunner. I love how all these old cuts have altered PS history. Diversity!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

coatimundi|1342480753|3235047 said:
Love the new pics and the pics with Mara's stunner. I love how all these old cuts have altered PS history. Diversity!

Thanks Coati!

I was joking with Mara that the pic she took of the profile of my ring is my fave...I actually thought about changing my av to it, but thought it would funny that her thumb would also be a part of it, lol.

As for PS history...funny, I was thinking of starting a thread on it. Maybe I will!

23rd street currently is doing another project for me, so it will be fun to see how it turns out.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

TravelingGal|1342480942|3235050 said:

Thanks Coati!

I was joking with Mara that the pic she took of the profile of my ring is my fave...I actually thought about changing my av to it, but thought it would funny that her thumb would also be a part of it, lol.

As for PS history...funny, I was thinking of starting a thread on it. Maybe I will!

23rd street currently is doing another project for me, so it will be fun to see how it turns out.

Oh do start that thread! That would be a hoot. I know my "new" join date says '09, but I originally joined and started posting in '07--much later than you and some folks, though! I think it's so incredible that people have stayed for so long and gotten to know each other through the lens of jewelry. I have followed so many collections for so long--and my how these collections have grown! Love it all.

lol on your av--you know how av changes disconcert everyone. Yours would especially. But, I'd love to see that shot more often.

Hint on the new project? hmmm? Pendant?

K9

Brilliant_Rock

TravelingGal|1339127248|3211596 said:
OK, wasn't going to post any more pics, but Mara took these (that's her thumb, lol) under an awesome canopy in Palm Springs, so I'm adding them. I didn't even know she took them. Thanks Mara!

GAH! Gorgeous TGal!!! YUMMY-licious! :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

coatimundi|1342481310|3235054 said:
TravelingGal|1342480942|3235050 said:

Thanks Coati!

Oh do start that thread! That would be a hoot. I know my "new" join date says '09, but I originally joined and started posting in '07--much later than you and some folks, though! I think it's so incredible that people have stayed for so long and gotten to know each other through the lens of jewelry. I have followed so many collections for so long--and my how these collections have grown! Love it all.

lol on your av--you know how av changes disconcert everyone. Yours would especially. But, I'd love to see that shot more often.

Hint on the new project? hmmm? Pendant?

Yeah, I wouldn't recognize myself if I changed my av. I have had it for years. ::)

I posted the band in the gold thread, but I posted it here. I have a pair of studs from ERD that I never wear because I currently own bigger ones. So I want them in danglies...but they are too small to dangle (.4-.5 ctw). I have always wanted leverbacks, but hate stock leverbacks as they are too long...want them to hug the earlobe.

Anyway, Joni and I came up with a design to showcase the small diamonds in a dangle. They are also going to be custom sized leverbacks. And in a surprise to me, she talked me into using high carat textured 20K gold for the dangle design....but after I saw the band below, it was hard for me to say no. I simply loved the richness of this gold and the color. Not the stark yellow that I've seen in higher karat gold - because I told her I hate yellow on yellow skin, but this was beautiful.

Of course, I will post a full report and pics when I'm done. I'm going to either love it, or hate it. I'm inclined to think it's going to be the former! Either way, it's nice to have a jeweler who encourages me to think outside what I'd normally do.....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

oops here's the pic

_226.jpg

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Awesome. And now I'm mega-intrigued, as I love high karat, and I have a pair of .84ctw studs I don't wear anymore--since I got a bigger pair. I've actually been thinking about making a pair of dangles. Gold on the ears really warms the face. (my .84s are set in 18k bezels) I bet the gold will look great on you. I look forward to your full report. Bring on the (textured) gold! Oh and you know those bands look great stacked with white. I stack my JM with textured 24k gold bands sometimes.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

coatimundi|1342482426|3235071 said:
Awesome. And now I'm mega-intrigued, as I love high karat, and I have a pair of .84ctw studs I don't wear anymore--since I got a bigger pair. I've actually been thinking about making a pair of dangles. Gold on the ears really warms the face. (my .84s are set in 18k bezels) I bet the gold will look great on you. I look forward to your full report. Bring on the (textured) gold! Oh and you know those bands look great stacked with white. I stack my JM with textured 24k gold bands sometimes.

bahaha! my .80ctw ARE my bigger pair. :rodent:

They have really nice leverbacks of different shapes and fits. But their customers must have small lobes...I struggled to get some on. I really don't like the look of stock leverbacks, and the quotes I received from etsy dealers meant that I'd have to go stock.

The clincher was that 23rd street was much more reasonably priced than 2 out of the 3 etsy vendor I asked. And only $20 more than the cheapest in the the low range of the quote I got. I initially didn't ask for a quote from 23rd, and they were working on my ring at the time! I guess because in my head, they were still unaffordable for such a small project. At the last minute, right before I was planning to greenlight the project with the cheapest etsy vendor, I emailed Joni and asked for a quote just to see. I was floored they could be within budget, because I just wasn't at the point that I could spend a ton of money and had a very firm budget available for this project.

I just went last Wednesday, so we'll see how long this takes!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

TravelingGal|1342482939|3235079 said:

They have really nice leverbacks of different shapes and fits. But their customers must have small lobes...I struggled to get some on. I really don't like the look of stock leverbacks, and the quotes I received from etsy dealers meant that I'd have to go stock.

The clincher was that 23rd street was much more reasonably priced than 2 out of the 3 etsy vendor I asked. And only $20 more than the cheapest in the the low range of the quote I got. I initially didn't ask for a quote from 23rd, and they were working on my ring at the time! I guess because in my head, they were still unaffordable for such a small project. At the last minute, right before I was planning to greenlight the project with the cheapest etsy vendor, I emailed Joni and asked for a quote just to see. I was floored they could be within budget, because I just wasn't at the point that I could spend a ton of money and had a very firm budget available for this project.

lol! Well, my bigger pair cost the same as my smaller pair...(you know, one of those crazy scores) :Up_to_something:

Wow about 23rd being more reasonable than a couple of etsy vendors! That's good to know! Ok, now I'm mega-uber-mondo intrigued. Can't wait to see.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

coatimundi|1342483271|3235088 said:
TravelingGal|1342482939|3235079 said:

lol! Well, my bigger pair cost the same as my smaller pair...(you know, one of those crazy scores) :Up_to_something:

Wow about 23rd being more reasonable than a couple of etsy vendors! That's good to know! Ok, now I'm mega-uber-mondo intrigued. Can't wait to see.

You need to post pics of your bigger pair!

Not just reasonable Coati...I'm talking HUNDREDS of dollars more reasonable. Like I said, I was shocked. Not sure if it's because I gave her the lowest bid and told her it was my budget, or if because I'm a repeat customer, or because they really are cheaper, but I don't care...I am thrilled because I love working with them and their work is a cut above, IMHO.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

TravelingGal|1342483421|3235089 said:
You need to post pics of your bigger pair!

Not just reasonable Coati...I'm talking HUNDREDS of dollars more reasonable. Like I said, I was shocked. Not sure if it's because I gave her the lowest bid and told her it was my budget, or if because I'm a repeat customer, or because they really are cheaper, but I don't care...I am thrilled because I love working with them and their work is a cut above, IMHO.

WOW! That's awesome. And, their work is top notch. That's fantastic. I cannot wait to see them!

I'll post some pics in the studs thread later!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Look forward to seeing your pics!

Since this thread has been topped, I'll just throw in a couple of pics I took a couple of weeks ago. One at the playground and one more recently to try out my new cell phone camera (just took it in my office under direct fluoro light. Blurry, but it makes it look shiny. ::) )

dsc_0742.jpg

dsc_0773a.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

dayum girl!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh, and this is the harsh overhead lighting that most of my office pics of this ring are taken under. :knockout:

img_1657.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Clearer one under that lighting.

dsc_0775.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hubba hubba! Gorgeous pics!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous new pics TGal :love: :love: :love:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

that thing looks gorgeous in ANY lighting..!!! NOMNOM. :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

TGal, this must be my third post in this thread, I love your ring so much!! It's my dream 3 stone (and I've oogled every single vendor on the PS list plus eBay scouring for inspiration pics). Your ring is the perfect combo of detail but not overpowering detail. The stones are still the star of the show. So many 3 stones have "boxy" silhouettes that just overwhelm the stones. No joke, I have dreamed about your ring. Please, so I can live vicariously, tell me that you are still as enamored as you were when you first saw it? Is it comfy? Does it get in your way at all? I need details woman (pretty please)!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

yennyfire|1343412730|3241458 said:
TGal, this must be my third post in this thread, I love your ring so much!! It's my dream 3 stone (and I've oogled every single vendor on the PS list plus eBay scouring for inspiration pics). Your ring is the perfect combo of detail but not overpowering detail. The stones are still the star of the show. So many 3 stones have "boxy" silhouettes that just overwhelm the stones. No joke, I have dreamed about your ring. Please, so I can live vicariously, tell me that you are still as enamored as you were when you first saw it? Is it comfy? Does it get in your way at all? I need details woman (pretty please)!!!

Weyellll...since I believe we are the same size (5.25, correct?) and your ring absolutely took my breath away when I saw it (and I'm not just saying that to be nice), we should do a swap program. :devil:

Yes, I still adore this ring. I love wearing it, it is extremely comfortable and is fit just right. I even really love that the prongs come up from the base up - if you recall, this was my ONLY area of doubt. I think I would have loved it they had done it the other way too, but I really do like the profile and that it is distinctly "paneled". I am very glad I sat on it for a week, because I came very quickly to appreciating the ring just as is. I'll admit in the beginning that my initial reaction surprise at the claw prongs (I envisioned "dots" for prongs) but again, I quickly thought it was perfect.

It does not get in the way, does not snag on anything. Now that 23rd street has done this ring before, they know the setting price is more reasonable than they initially thought. I know this because when I went in to pick up my earrings, they told me they did get a call asking about the three stone and a quote for if it were to be made exactly the same. The quote they gave out wasn't inflated at all from the price I paid, so if anyone is interested, get it before they change their mind (because I'll say it is SUBSTANTIALLY less than the price I was initially quoted). ::) It's only because I just knew they could do a good job that I braved the initial sticker shock and discussed price with them again. SO glad I did!!!

I will say, as a funny aside, they also told me they have been getting some calls for quotes, but the calls/emails were saying "I saw TGals ring on Pricescope." I mentioned PS to them before ages ago, but they weren't familiar with it. And when they got these calls, they were like, "who the heck is TGal?" :rodent:

I do think the stones are half the battle...the ring works because everything works. Crown height, etc will change the look of the ring. Even between the side stones, the prongs appear different which would bother an anal person, I think. The flatter crown results in more pressed down prongs, obviously. The other stones, the claw is more at an angle.

I actually don't know quite what you mean by "boxy" silhouettes, but I'll take your word for it. :lol: I'm happy to answer any other questions too. Believe me, after all the doubt and nerves from the day I saw that ebay brooch until now, I can't believe how well everything turned out. As some might say, I think it was meant to be. ::)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That is too funny about people wanting "the TGal" (not that I blame them!). I am so glad to hear that you are loving it and have come to love the piece you were initially hesitant about. I would love to arrange a swap sometime since we wear the same size and all!

If it's not being too nosy, what did you end up paying? I believe your budget was $3800 but that can't be right? I can't remember where I thought I saw that??? Gotta start saving for the stones AND the setting!! ;-)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

yennyfire|1343415835|3241484 said:
That is too funny about people wanting "the TGal" (not that I blame them!). I am so glad to hear that you are loving it and have come to love the piece you were initially hesitant about. I would love to arrange a swap sometime since we wear the same size and all!

If it's not being too nosy, what did you end up paying? I believe your budget was $3800 but that can't be right? I can't remember where I thought I saw that??? Gotta start saving for the stones AND the setting!! ;-)

I am usually not shy about sharing I paid for made pieces, but out of respect to vendors I usually don't quote custom prices (because prices fluctuate for materials, etc.) However, that said, yes my budget was $3500 or so, and if one were to have a budget of $3800, let's just say it wouldn't be much of a stretch to afford this setting. ;))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks TGal. I'm sure that by the time I'm in the market, what you paid will be moot! ;(

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

yennyfire|1343419151|3241515 said:
Thanks TGal. I'm sure that by the time I'm in the market, what you paid will be moot! ;(

You never know Yennyfire. My initial budget was actually 2000-2500. Then without any prompting from me, my mother decided to give me all her jewelry, many of which were originally gifts from me. Included in that was a 1 carat GIA ex/ex cushion which I bought my mother as a "thank you" gift for raising me when I got engaged. She OK'd me selling it since I had no use for it (she was suppose to wear it, hello!) and so my budget increased. That is mostly the reason I was able to go back to 23rd street, but my budget was still nowhere near the initial quote. They were having a sale, so that helped.

So if you find the stones for a song on the secondhand market...that helps a lot. ;))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A girl can dream, right??!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sure you can dream, but I don't understand why with THAT ring on your finger. ;))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

LOL, my right hand feels totally alone and cheated! The eternity band just doesn't cut it. I really love the idea of a ring representing my hubby and two kids as well as "past, present, future". Not to mention, that if I can pull off a 3 stone that's half as special as yours, I'll have one heirloom to leave each child. :praise:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

hahaha, I use symbolism to justify my jewelry buys too. Kidding!

But yeah...it DOES make it easier for me to buy jewelry knowing I have someone to pass it down too. Amelia is going to make off like a bandit. Or the pawn shop will. ;(

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Speaking of passing down, I was thinking the other day of printing out each of the reviews that I've posted here for my pieces, which are detail oriented. Sticking it in a binder with some notes as to why I have the piece. At least, that way if some child or great grandchild wants to pawn it, they have some history of each piece as well as the rarity/value if applicable!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire|1343425090|3241588 said:
LOL, my right hand feels totally alone and cheated! The eternity band just doesn't cut it. I really love the idea of a ring representing my hubby and two kids as well as "past, present, future". Not to mention, that if I can pull off a 3 stone that's half as special as yours, I'll have one heirloom to leave each child. :praise:

YES! That's why I love my 3 stone too, for the representation of my hub and two kids. ::) I think it's such a sweet, sentimental idea.

You definitely need to get one, Yenny! :naughty: :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results