shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay... so excited I could SPIT!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I've been away from PS for quite a while, but I just can't think of a better place to spill it - I got one! Over the holidays my father gave me my grandmother's diamond ring. The ring that hypnotized me as a child... it looked like a glittering flying saucer to me. It still does!

I had only had it a couple of days before I noticed it was catching on fabric fibers and on close inspection, I saw that it had a dramatic fracture in one of the four main stones (OECs). So... I had a perfect excuse to go to a place I could only fantasize about - Single Stone. Gawd, their stuff is beautiful!

It took about 6 weeks for a perfect replacement to turn up and it's being set right now. I saw the stone and it was well wort the wait - I totally appreciate Ari's care in selection (he's also resizing the ring for me).

Grampa gave the ring to Nana in 1929. They lived in London and were very working class - Grampa was the receptionist at The Gargoyle Club and Nana had worked as a seamstress since the age of 14) - so I can only imagine that it was everything he was worth at the time. The ring survived the Blitz and the loss of their home on Goodge St. to bombing.

I think it's a great, glitzy heirloom and I just love it. I don't have any official specs on it but the main stones are approximately .50 ct each... some a little under, some a little over. I only caught it with my phone cam a couple of times before it went in for repair, so I apologize fro these fuzzy images. I'll take better pics when I get it back - hopefully this weekend!

ring_x2.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely ring! It is wonderful to have something with so much sentimentality.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How wonderful that you've found the perfect replacement stone - that is a super-glitzy treasure with a lovely history, wear it in good health and memory :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and FANTASTIC finger coverage!!!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow love the story!! it looks like a sparkly flying saucer I can see why you love it!! very pretty.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ninama! Good to "see" you again! How amazing to get your grandmother's ring; what a cool history it has. Lovely too :bigsmile: Glad singlestone could spruce it up for you.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
This is awesome!!! What an interesting story!!! Looking forward to the pics!! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is such a beautiful ring! And one that has such special meaning - I can see why you're so excited, it looks lovely on you!

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Well i'm no child but that ring is hypnotising me :appl: What an amazing story and how special you have something from your grandmother.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LGK! It's so fun to be here... the place looks so different!

Thanks, everyone. I can hardly wait to get it back. I know it's not a big fat solitaire with heart stopping specs, but it sure does pack a sparkling whollop - it's quite imposing!

I tried to do a little illustration of the layout, as best I can recall it - the scale probably is perfectly accurate. It's sort of a cloverleaf effect on a milgrian background. I understand that the outer portion - the halo part - was added a few years after she got it. Those tiny stones aren't super consistent in color, but the main 4 seem quite white and bright.

ring_D.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh... and you know what? I was telling Ari how much I loved their pieces... especially THAT Asscher (5.64 ct) ring on their website. Before I knew it, he had pulled it out of a case and he let me try it on... I got weak in the knees.

asscher_5.64.jpg

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Love your "UFO" and the sweet, sweet story that goes with it. Jewelry with a history is so much better. Enjoy! :appl:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ninama! Great to see you over here again! Congratulations-what a fabulous ring. I'd love to see more pics when it's back on your hand. Very excited for you!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous + sentimental treasure! Congrats for this beauty! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What a trasure--thank you for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

tannet

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful! I love family heirlooms with a rich history. Can't wait to see it after you get it back!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Coatimundi!

This was Grampa and Nana, back in the day...

marks_nana_grampa_SM.jpg

marks_brighton_SM.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, how special :) glad to hear that singlestone was able to repair it, and cant wait to see the final result!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Holy sh!t! That's HUGE!

And absolutely stunning!

What a beautiful ring and I love that it's a family piece. Makes it that much more special.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring and special story. I love jewelery with history.
Your grandfather looked just like Sean Penn!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
It is pretty ginormous - one of the first things that crossed my mind was 'whoa, some coverage', having an opportunity to use terminology I learned here. :)) Part of the bigness in these fuzzy pics is a depth of field thing. The band was very large and had a big knuckle-small finger adjuster that made the top hover some distance above my finger. It's being sized way down to a 6 so I can alternate it between right and left ring fingers. Left is a 5 1/2, right is closer to a 6. I have a murderer's thumb on my right hand and don't particularly want to draw attention to it - and I doubt the it would be mistaken for an engagement ring if I wear it on the left. I think it has an irreverent quality about it, bordering on cocktail - but it still has an elegance, being a symmetrical design. Think I think about it much? :cheeky:

Ooooo....can'twait!can'twait!can'twait!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, kribbie... Sean Penn. I never thought about it, but you're right!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can handle that kind of coverage-you betcha. Love the pics of your grandparents. What a great story!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results