shape
carat
color
clarity

Next step??

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I returned the .90 M AVC. It was very pretty but it felt like I had to talk myself into keeping it, which to me meant it needed to go back.

So now I have a decision to make. My husband thinks I should get a round diamond. I would love a AVR and found one that I keep going back to that is .60 ct. So a halo would have to happen. Because I'm sure a .60 would look tiny on my fat finger.

I could wait to see if GOG gets any AVR to make a band.

I could go with a H&A band, five or seven stones.

Or I could do nothing and just wait it out.

I keep telling myself to just wait, yet I keep thinking about it and worrying about making the right decision.

I feel like getting a ring now that I could upgrade is really the best bet? The next minute I just want a band and to be done.

I would love some advice again, because I really don't know what to do. :((

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luvsdmb|1395691361|3640551 said:
I returned the .90 M AVC. It was very pretty but it felt like I had to talk myself into keeping it, which to me meant it needed to go back.

So now I have a decision to make. My husband thinks I should get a round diamond. I would love a AVR and found one that I keep going back to that is .60 ct. So a halo would have to happen. Because I'm sure a .60 would look tiny on my fat finger.

I keep telling myself to just wait, yet I keep thinking about it and worrying about making the right decision.

I feel like getting a ring now that I could upgrade is really the best bet? The next minute I just want a band and to be done.

I will say that I bought my first ps solitaire Oct 2013... There were a few things wrong on many levels. Too long to list here but I returned it. Convincing myself I would be okay with a blingy band... 5, 7 stone or even an amazing eternity. I went on the hunt. Tried on many rings at Tiffany and other local jewelry stores and realized I did not like the bigger stone bands on me. They were beautiful but not quite right...and I didn't love how that sat with my other sentimental rings. So then it was about getting a thinner high quality band either Memoire or even Tiffany. I almost pulled the trigger on a preloved. Didn't. Then my dh walked into Tiffany with me and I almost pulled the trigger on a 7 stone and 9 stone (smallish) band. Something said to walk away for lunch. If it was it I would be back that day (before the price increase). I didn't go back and believe me my dh wanted me happy and wanted to move past all this. lol

All this to say that I really understand what you were/are going through. I refrained from offering my opinion because people were already saying some of the things I was feeling.

In the end, I circled right around to the fact that I wanted a single stone... either solitaire or halo. I wanted it to be upgradable because my ideal size (whatever that is) was not attainable right now. I am also considering a halo. I am very happy with my result which is back to where I originally started but with a better diamond for me and a lovely setting! Now I went through a quick did I pick the right diamond just yesterday (trying to squeeze out more size)..lol but I realized I did.

Is it possible the bands are not working because in your heart of hearts you want one stone? Thats what I am feeling. As far as RB or AVR. Do you really love the AVR more? Then wait for the right stone. I went RB even though I considered an AVR. They had nothing in stock and size and color were more important to me. None of this probably helped but I felt moved to respond anyway :bigsmile:

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also think that presence is a big factor for you. In your other band threads you felt it was lacking. I know this is a concern in the .60 AVR too. I almost bought a .60 beautiful diamond better stats technically than my current stone. I realized even haloing it I wouldn't be happy. I didn't go through with the sale and instead have my .797 that I love. Much better for me and I know you could even do larger with your budget if you put it in the stone. If you have a little extra you can go for the halo straight out?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought a 0.59ct AVR (ring size 5) and had them put it in a Stuller solitaire mount that was inexpensive but pretty so I can enjoy it while I build up funds to get a bigger AVR. They have a lifetime guarantee on them, so you aren't "out" anything from my perspective (aside from the cost of a setting), as they'll give you that amount back toward an upgrade. But I have to say the faceting isn't extremely obvious at this size - it's very sparkly and has great fire and contrast, but I have to actively look for the flower pattern - it's just too small to appreciate it. But the colors that come off it - wow!

I also have a tapering 5-stone band, with an approx 0.4ct center, and it has a lot of presence on the hand. Maybe you could get a 5 stone with the 0.6ct as the center and smaller stones on the sides?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a blingy 5 stone! That's my vote. You will love the finger coverage and sparkle. You could do 5 x 0.30? Or maybe a 7 stone, 7 x 0.20?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ultimately are you going for a solitaire AND a 5 or 7 stone?

If so I think I'd go with the band now, for finger coverage.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about the .60 as the centre in a 3 stone or a 5 stone that might be another option to give you full finger coverage.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Do a band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Five stone .30's or Seven stone .20-.25's! It will be blingtastic!
You won't be happy with a small solitaire. I wear a 7.5. My 1.11ct by itself is just okay, but with my 2.15ct band it is perfect.
I have gone thru a similar dilemma lately- obsessing over upgrading to a larger diamond...or not. I can't justify spending the money on that right now and unless I got over 1.50 ct I think I will be sorry I spent the money so it's a no go.
At this point I'm having a 1.75ct five stone made with MRB's. So I will have two five stone bands, one EC and one MRB. Two completely different looks. I love the blingy bands with a plain thin wedding band. Have you gone thru the five stone ring thread?
Am I correct that you have been married a while? I really think a band is going to give you what you're looking for, it screams married and is versatile.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
.55ct center stone with halo.

I tried on a few rings tonight to get size ideas.

photo_56_.jpg

photo_57_.jpg

photo_58_.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Gabriel halo ring and .20ct five stone with 2mm plain band.

photo_59_.jpg

photo_60_.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
hathalove|1395692458|3640562 said:
luvsdmb|1395691361|3640551 said:

I will say that I bought my first ps solitaire Oct 2013... There were a few things wrong on many levels. Too long to list here but I returned it. Convincing myself I would be okay with a blingy band... 5, 7 stone or even an amazing eternity. I went on the hunt. Tried on many rings at Tiffany and other local jewelry stores and realized I did not like the bigger stone bands on me. They were beautiful but not quite right...and I didn't love how that sat with my other sentimental rings. So then it was about getting a thinner high quality band either Memoire or even Tiffany. I almost pulled the trigger on a preloved. Didn't. Then my dh walked into Tiffany with me and I almost pulled the trigger on a 7 stone and 9 stone (smallish) band. Something said to walk away for lunch. If it was it I would be back that day (before the price increase). I didn't go back and believe me my dh wanted me happy and wanted to move past all this. lol

All this to say that I really understand what you were/are going through. I refrained from offering my opinion because people were already saying some of the things I was feeling.

In the end, I circled right around to the fact that I wanted a single stone... either solitaire or halo. I wanted it to be upgradable because my ideal size (whatever that is) was not attainable right now. I am also considering a halo. I am very happy with my result which is back to where I originally started but with a better diamond for me and a lovely setting! Now I went through a quick did I pick the right diamond just yesterday (trying to squeeze out more size)..lol but I realized I did.

Is it possible the bands are not working because in your heart of hearts you want one stone? Thats what I am feeling. As far as RB or AVR. Do you really love the AVR more? Then wait for the right stone. I went RB even though I considered an AVR. They had nothing in stock and size and color were more important to me. None of this probably helped but I felt moved to respond anyway :bigsmile:
It does help, thanks!!!
I really think the bands aren't working because I had my heart set on something a little different.Going from a AVC band idea to a RB band that I could buy anywhere just made me a little sad and confused. I do feel like I want one stone, but then every time I try them on or actually own one, something is missing. Which is probably just a setting. As for the AVR vs RB, I do believe that I like the AVR more. But I have actually had the thought if I would actually wear it, or would I be to afraid I could lose it, which makes me think go with RB since they would be easier to replace. I know I am crazy.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
hathalove|1395692803|3640567 said:
I also think that presence is a big factor for you. In your other band threads you felt it was lacking. I know this is a concern in the .60 AVR too. I almost bought a .60 beautiful diamond better stats technically than my current stone. I realized even haloing it I wouldn't be happy. I didn't go through with the sale and instead have my .797 that I love. Much better for me and I know you could even do larger with your budget if you put it in the stone. If you have a little extra you can go for the halo straight out?

Presence is a big factor. I started with a 1.01 RB then a 1.50 oval then a stone that was suppose to be a 1.50 RB, which it wasn't.
So yeah, going down to a .60 does make me a little nervous, I know it would be pretty and if I found the right setting I might be very happy and content with it. Plus my husband thinks I should go with a round stone.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
ecf8503|1395695603|3640602 said:
I just bought a 0.59ct AVR (ring size 5) and had them put it in a Stuller solitaire mount that was inexpensive but pretty so I can enjoy it while I build up funds to get a bigger AVR. They have a lifetime guarantee on them, so you aren't "out" anything from my perspective (aside from the cost of a setting), as they'll give you that amount back toward an upgrade. But I have to say the faceting isn't extremely obvious at this size - it's very sparkly and has great fire and contrast, but I have to actively look for the flower pattern - it's just too small to appreciate it. But the colors that come off it - wow!

I also have a tapering 5-stone band, with an approx 0.4ct center, and it has a lot of presence on the hand. Maybe you could get a 5 stone with the 0.6ct as the center and smaller stones on the sides?

I saw your post that you bought a .59 ct AVR, it is what actually got me thinking of doing the same thing. I feel really stupid not going for something I can upgrade later, yet I just don't know if I want to buy a ring knowing it's not the one. Then again, if I found the right setting I might just end up loving it and not feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. I even like the setting you picked.
I can't even begin to think about picking out stones for a 5 stone using the .60ct as the center stone. Thanks for the idea though.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1395698244|3640626 said:
Get a blingy 5 stone! That's my vote. You will love the finger coverage and sparkle. You could do 5 x 0.30? Or maybe a 7 stone, 7 x 0.20?

This is high on my list, I feel like it might be the best idea.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
motownmama|1395698618|3640631 said:
Ultimately are you going for a solitaire AND a 5 or 7 stone?

If so I think I'd go with the band now, for finger coverage.

I do feel like that is the long term goal, however getting a RB band now seems pointless if I have my mind set on a AVR or AVC.
I also feel the same towards getting the AVR now, then a band later.

Reality might be if I get a RB band, that will be it.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1395701615|3640660 said:
How about the .60 as the centre in a 3 stone or a 5 stone that might be another option to give you full finger coverage.

I don't have the strength or will power to pick out these other stone for this idea, it's a good idea but not for me right now.

That's what is so confusing about the august vintage, they are hard to match or think about what to pair them with and it's very limited to pick from.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
woofmama|1395713308|3640751 said:
Do a band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Five stone .30's or Seven stone .20-.25's! It will be blingtastic!
You won't be happy with a small solitaire. I wear a 7.5. My 1.11ct by itself is just okay, but with my 2.15ct band it is perfect.
I have gone thru a similar dilemma lately- obsessing over upgrading to a larger diamond...or not. I can't justify spending the money on that right now and unless I got over 1.50 ct I think I will be sorry I spent the money so it's a no go.
At this point I'm having a 1.75ct five stone made with MRB's. So I will have two five stone bands, one EC and one MRB. Two completely different looks. I love the blingy bands with a plain thin wedding band. Have you gone thru the five stone ring thread?
Am I correct that you have been married a while? I really think a band is going to give you what you're looking for, it screams married and is versatile.

I have gone through the five stone thread so many times, its crazy. I love them all, I seem to like the .30 stones the most. But I also think seven .20 or .25 would work. I have been married three years in July.
I agree, I think a small solitaire would be really hard to pull off. The biggest issue is buying something that I can't upgrade. Then again buying something I won't want to upgrade would be better, it's just not getting at the very least AVR for a band. It bugs me for some reason.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stick to MRBs because they match and look great in under 6mm sizes. Easy peasy. Graduated five stone like Niel's seems like the best bang for your bucks.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
If you look in preloved someone just posted a 5 stone AVR for sale. :naughty:

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1395720519|3640832 said:
Stick to MRBs because they match and look great in under 6mm sizes. Easy peasy. Graduated five stone like Niel's seems like the best bang for your bucks.

I love this idea. Then you get a little pop from the center stone but the coverage of a five stone. I am pretty sure she did this all under 5k. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ja-size-7-25-1-78tcw-graduated-5-stone-in-wg.190181/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ja-size-7-25-1-78tcw-graduated-5-stone-in-wg.190181/[/URL]

I seriously considered something like this. Could still!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
hathalove|1395764357|3641054 said:
Dreamer_D|1395720519|3640832 said:

I love this idea. Then you get a little pop from the center stone but the coverage of a five stone. I am pretty sure she did this all under 5k. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ja-size-7-25-1-78tcw-graduated-5-stone-in-wg.190181/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ja-size-7-25-1-78tcw-graduated-5-stone-in-wg.190181/[/URL]

I seriously considered something like this. Could still!

I prefer just a straight band, not graduated. Thanks again though.
I asked to see a few diamonds just because I'm curious and I've gone this far so what does it hurt to just take a look.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I have pretty much decided to go with a band. I am having a hard time deciding between H&A and non H&A diamonds. I have read so many threads on this topic but I still can not figure out what to do. My instinct is saying H&A but I have been told that non H&A would be fine.
I'm not sure since they will be .25ct or .30ct if it really matters? I would love some advice and pictures if anyone has both, so I can compare to see which I like best. The price difference is pretty large between the H&A and non H&A, just not sure if it's worth it?
Either seven .25ct or five .30ct with the option of later down the road matching two more .30ct stones to make a seven stone band.
Would seven .30ct be to big?
(Also all of these stones are H-I color SI1)
Thanks

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi luvsdmb :)

I kind of feel like I want to throw myself between you and buying a band! Let me say first up - I LOVE bands, and have a couple of my own that I like a lot. But if a hankering for a solitaire is what ails you, buying a band won't help you one little bit. It would just defer the problem and leave you more $ put of pocket.

It sounds to my like you're too close to this at the moment. When it comes to jewelry, we can be like a dog worrying over a bone; there's no new meat on it, but we just can't let it go.

Since there is no new information forthcoming for you, and you're hovering and going back and forth, I'd say - do nothing. This falls into the category of 'you don't know what you want'. To make a purchase of some thousands of dollars for something you're not sure about seems pointless to me. Is there something you'd like better? A trip to the Bahamas? A new refrigerator? This season's Chanel bag? I'm just pulling things out of my hat here, of course, but I'd just encourage you not to feel compelled to spend money on something you're not sure about.

I've had periods of indecision where I've gone back and forth over jewelry so much that it kept me up at night. At times like those, I find the best thing to do is just walk away from it - for a month at least. And just a point about upgrading; I bought my stone for X amount of dollars a few years ago. Then diamond prices leapt up. Even though the dealer would offer me the same amount for an upgrade, I'd actually have to spend an extra 30% - just to get back to where I was. For example, say I spent 20k on my ring. To buy that same ring now would cost me 26k. So to upgrade, I'd get back the value I paid, have to make up the difference to buy a stone of a similar size and shape, then I'd have to kick in *more* money if I wanted something larger or whiter or both.

So my suggestion would be - do nothing. Take a step back, focus on different things and clear your head, while at the same time saving your money till one day you look down at your hand and say..."I want a solitaire. Period." (or a band, or an AVC or whatever...)

Wishing you well in your journey.

ETA Yes, 7 x 30 point stones would be HUGE and way too big unless you had a size 9 finger or larger. The finger spread would be upwards of 30mm. Massive!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA Excellent cuts with nice looking IS images and good HCA scores are fine in that size. OR AGS0s. I would not pay for H&As, especially if I wanted to maximize size for budget.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
mrs-blop|1396278504|3644298 said:
Hi luvsdmb :)

I kind of feel like I want to throw myself between you and buying a band! Let me say first up - I LOVE bands, and have a couple of my own that I like a lot. But if a hankering for a solitaire is what ails you, buying a band won't help you one little bit. It would just defer the problem and leave you more $ put of pocket.

It sounds to my like you're too close to this at the moment. When it comes to jewelry, we can be like a dog worrying over a bone; there's no new meat on it, but we just can't let it go.

Since there is no new information forthcoming for you, and you're hovering and going back and forth, I'd say - do nothing. This falls into the category of 'you don't know what you want'. To make a purchase of some thousands of dollars for something you're not sure about seems pointless to me. Is there something you'd like better? A trip to the Bahamas? A new refrigerator? This season's Chanel bag? I'm just pulling things out of my hat here, of course, but I'd just encourage you not to feel compelled to spend money on something you're not sure about.

I've had periods of indecision where I've gone back and forth over jewelry so much that it kept me up at night. At times like those, I find the best thing to do is just walk away from it - for a month at least. And just a point about upgrading; I bought my stone for X amount of dollars a few years ago. Then diamond prices leapt up. Even though the dealer would offer me the same amount for an upgrade, I'd actually have to spend an extra 30% - just to get back to where I was. For example, say I spent 20k on my ring. To buy that same ring now would cost me 26k. So to upgrade, I'd get back the value I paid, have to make up the difference to buy a stone of a similar size and shape, then I'd have to kick in *more* money if I wanted something larger or whiter or both.

So my suggestion would be - do nothing. Take a step back, focus on different things and clear your head, while at the same time saving your money till one day you look down at your hand and say..."I want a solitaire. Period." (or a band, or an AVC or whatever...)

Wishing you well in your journey.

ETA Yes, 7 x 30 point stones would be HUGE and way too big unless you had a size 9 finger or larger. The finger spread would be upwards of 30mm. Massive!

Thanks for the advice, I think I will take a little while to figure it out. Although I have had some time in the past few weeks and a band is still what seems to make the most sense. For my lifestyle for the finger coverage and most of all the price right now. For the size of AVR or AVC I would like and the price, I just don't see it in my future. I'm actually to the point of just wanting to be done with all of it. I am not opposed to a AVR band, so maybe waiting till I know for sure will give GOG some time to get more stones.
Also I do wear a size 9.5 ring :lol:. That's the other thing I'm torn about five or seven stone.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1396282456|3644360 said:
GIA Excellent cuts with nice looking IS images and good HCA scores are fine in that size. OR AGS0s. I would not pay for H&As, especially if I wanted to maximize size for budget.

This is probably the issue that is causing me the most trouble, I do not know what the H&A/non H&A are. I was given the price from GOG from their supplier, when I asked about the non H&A I was told they are very good.
I don't know numbers, scores, they aren't certified. I keep reading H&A don't guarantee the best diamond. So if that's true I don't want to buy H&A and realize after the fact that I would have been fine with the non H&A.

I love this trellis setting, and honestly it has been the best thing to show me the difference between the H&A/non H&A.
So in my head this is a good example of what "my" diamonds would look like between the two.
Is this accurate?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavin-bgd-five-stone-trellis-band-is-here.141870/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavin-bgd-five-stone-trellis-band-is-here.141870/[/URL]

(I Hope butterfly 17 doesn't mind me sharing her thread....I really love her ring)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luvsdmb -

I think even for a 9.5 size finger, 7 x .25ct stones would work beautifully, especially RB's, which tend to face up slightly bigger than AVR's due to their different cut. You're still looking at a very generous spread. Very!

But I still think a break would be your best idea; you really can get to the point where the whole thing sort of p*sses you off and it loses its appeal altogether.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
In my personal opinion and based on my personal experience I would choose the band because it will have more hand presence than the solitaire. I have a 5 stone ring with .25 pointers and it was not enough. I am currently having my jeweler make it into a seven stone. It will be ready on Thursday so I can post pics then. I tried one on in the store and was blown away by the difference! Definitely take your time and think it through if you are not sure.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to add that I have a whiteflash 7 stone band with ACA's and my 5 stone ring which is turning into a seven stone with regular ideal cut diamonds. The ACA's are better and I can tell the difference so I think it is worth it to get H&A stones.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
vanderaf|1396292731|3644464 said:
In my personal opinion and based on my personal experience I would choose the band because it will have more hand presence than the solitaire. I have a 5 stone ring with .25 pointers and it was not enough. I am currently having my jeweler make it into a seven stone. It will be ready on Thursday so I can post pics then. I tried one on in the store and was blown away by the difference! Definitely take your time and think it through if you are not sure.

Can't wait to see the transformation, I feel like if I go with the .25ct I would get seven for sure, it's the .30ct stones I'm so unsure about.....mainly due to the price for seven .30ct, you wouldn't think the price would be that different but it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results