shape
carat
color
clarity

New crush--Gelin Abaci TR-156

Would an OEC look good in this Gelin Abaci ring?

• No, an OEC would look awful in this ring. A modern round brilliant would work better.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this rose gold Gelin Abaci ring that I think is totally cool. I''m really into antique styles so this is not something I would normally lean toward, although they look great on other people. There''s just something about the rose gold and diamond melee and the center diamond poised between it all. I love it! How do you think this would look with an OEC? Too weird? I don''t have an OEC yet. I think I kind of need to get an idea of a setting before I get one. I am window shopping though! Thanks for your opinions. Oh, this would be for a right hand ring.

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
OEC are not as consistent in shape as a modern RB it might not sit in the ring at all......Or (even worse IMO) the ring might cause damage to the stone by applying pressure unevenly or the places where the stone could not handle it. I think you need to post this in Rocky Talky and as some of the true experts what they think.

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
im voting for a round brilliant also so its sits perfect at the girdle

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very good point. Old cuts will have varying girdle thickness and my understanding is that thin girdles are not recommended for tension settings (though I admit I don''t know much else about these types of settings). This may be the one and only time I advocate a modern cut over an old cut if that''s the look you want, and only a tension setting (versus another modern style) will do
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I vote modern rb for girdle thickness issues and for the overall look. I''m all for juxtaposing images and incongruity, but not when it comes to old cut diamonds with modern settings.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of tension settings with old stones personally...but it''s just my thing!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 11:41:23 AM
Author: neatfreak
I''m not a fan of tension settings with old stones personally...but it''s just my thing!
Ditto - I''m another vote for modern all the way!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of older stones and tension settings. I''ve never seen one in real life, but to me, it''s the perfect mix of what I like about antique and modern. If you find a good stone for a tension setting, it''s worth a try.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE OEC''s but I think the modern rb would look better with this setting
35.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everybody for voting. So it looks like I need to get a modern RB for this setting AND an OEC with a different setting! Ha-ha. I only wish I could buy 2 diamonds at a time!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would love to have an OEC, it would make a gorgeous pendant!!
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results