shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking between 2 Erika Winters settings!

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
mrs-blop|1430661268|3871502 said:
ETA I know you said you wouldn't be going with a diamond initially. But if the day comes when you'd like a diamond in the middle, an Old European cut (as per Erika's photo) would look killer!

Agree! Either way, I can't wait to see a pic of the ring whenever it's done!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
westjenn|1430659582|3871496 said:
Definitely the Jin. I saw your previous experience on Etsy, but I'm glad that worked out in your favor! I personally prefer the simplicity of the Jin. It would make a great RHR as well, if you decide to go with a traditional wedding band.

EW's work is hand forged, correct? I would assume this justifies the higher price tag on her pieces?

I know that she uses both the hand-forging technique and casting. They are expensive and admittedly over our budget, but her quote for us was $300 less than her original Jin which is only $300 more than our original ring. There are a few reasons we feel ok spending more. First, she uses 18K rose gold rather than 14K, which we had originally purchased. She will also be doing a custom piece for us, combining the head of the Jin with the underside of her Alexandra. Not to mention, she will be showing us CAD renderings prior to creation of the ring so that we can be sure we are getting what we want. It sounds like she creates heirloom quality pieces and I think this is worth the added price tag. I am pretty jewelry illiterate so hope everything I said above is correct and worth the cost :shock:

This ring process so far has made us feel like complete idiots. I know buying from a brick and mortar store is often better because you can try it on but all we have locally is big box stores and we found absolutely nothing we liked there. We just hope we are going down a better path now and will end up with something we love on the other end!

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
MidwestGal|1430665393|3871524 said:
I know that she uses both the hand-forging technique and casting. They are expensive and admittedly over our budget, but her quote for us was $300 less than her original Jin which is only $300 more than our original ring. There are a few reasons we feel ok spending more. First, she uses 18K rose gold rather than 14K, which we had originally purchased. She will also be doing a custom piece for us, combining the head of the Jin with the underside of her Alexandra. Not to mention, she will be showing us CAD renderings prior to creation of the ring so that we can be sure we are getting what we want. It sounds like she creates heirloom quality pieces and I think this is worth the added price tag. I am pretty jewelry illiterate so hope everything I said above is correct and worth the cost :shock:

This ring process so far has made us feel like complete idiots. I know buying from a brick and mortar store is often better because you can try it on but all we have locally is big box stores and we found absolutely nothing we liked there. We just hope we are going down a better path now and will end up with something we love on the other end!

I have no doubt it'll be worth it. I know of the Etsy designer you used originally, and I had liked her photos as well until I saw your experience. Many people on these forums can attest to the quality of Erika Winters' work. I don't think you can go wrong with her!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
I think you're right! We trust her and all of you. We have ordered a stone so will start this whole process within the week. I have selected the Jin! We can't wait and will be sure to come back and show off the finished product!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
So exciting!!! Congrats on your decision. I cannot wait to see it. :wavey:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on deciding on the modified Jin! Very exciting indeed! Your ring will turn out beautifully. I have the Laurel setting and love it! The quality of her work is truly amazing and a work of art. Will be awaiting to see the finished ring! :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I saw someone wearing the Jin on their 3rd finger:left hand, there's NO way I would NOT think "that's an engagement ring!" (Sorry for the double negative .....)

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
motownmama|1430788937|3872211 said:
If I saw someone wearing the Jin on their 3rd finger:left hand, there's NO way I would NOT think "that's an engagement ring!" (Sorry for the double negative .....)

Fabulous! I think I am still reeling a bit from our previous experience, but I know it will be a beautiful heirloom quality piece and it really does make me swoon every time I look at it!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano|1430705485|3871742 said:
So exciting!!! Congrats on your decision. I cannot wait to see it. :wavey:

Thank you!!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
_lovesvintage_|1430724974|3871794 said:
Congrats on deciding on the modified Jin! Very exciting indeed! Your ring will turn out beautifully. I have the Laurel setting and love it! The quality of her work is truly amazing and a work of art. Will be awaiting to see the finished ring! :)

Thank you! I bet your Laurel is dreamy.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I can't wait to see it! :appl: what is the stone you chose for the setting?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="MidwestGal

I know it will be a beautiful heirloom quality piece and it really does make me swoon every time I look at it![/quote]
yes! :appl: Can't wait to see your "heirloom in the making".

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Both are beautiful, but I love the Jin! Simple yet interesting.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
lilysweet|1430799581|3872254 said:
Yay! I can't wait to see it! :appl: what is the stone you chose for the setting?

We have opted for an OEC moissanite. Currently waiting for a .75 and 1 carat stone to arrive in the mail so we can select which size we prefer. It was the perfect option for us because we were able to use an OEC stone that was within our budget and is durable.

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
MidwestGal|1430601090|3871281 said:
lilysweet|1430590816|3871231 said:
I don't have as much experience as the others but I do agree that while the Laurel is beautiful, most of the action is below the stone. The Jin, to me, is a perfect vessel to show off the stone in such a beautiful way. I adore the milgrain and the brushed gold. It looks so warm and interesting and makes me happy to look at it. Disclaimer: I LOVE the Jin, well before this discussion started! Also, I am not one who would upgrade. If you do decide later to get a diamond that looks more traditionally like an E ring the Jin would look beautiful as a RHR.

Yes I agree with all of that! My ONLY hangup with the Jin is that it doesn't look like a "traditional" engagement ring. I don't think that bothers me, I am in no way a traditional bride-to-be. I am also SO indecisive so I worry how I will feel about not having a traditional ring in 30 years. Silly, I know. But this is the life of someone with an obsessive mind!

Jin is a beautiful ring that doesn't look like a very traditional ER. If you aren't a traditional bride it's probably the best choice for you. It's beautiful, classic and very unique.. 30 years from now you will probably still love it for sentimental reasons any how :))

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
That will be so beautiful. I am excited for you and can't wait to see it! :appl:

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
lilysweet|1430854457|3872535 said:
That will be so beautiful. I am excited for you and can't wait to see it! :appl:

Thank you so much! I can't wait to show all of you :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your choice - the Jin would have been my choice too. Can't wait to see!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jin by far would have been my choice. I'm a sucker for bezels. I'm glad that's the one you chose!

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
packrat|1430877094|3872738 said:
Jin by far would have been my choice. I'm a sucker for bezels. I'm glad that's the one you chose!

:) Me too. Bezels are everything! I can't wait! Our stones are coming a couple of days early, even. So excited!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
MidwestGal|1430884888|3872786 said:

:) Me too. Bezels are everything! I can't wait! Our stones are coming a couple of days early, even. So excited!

Yay!! Can't wait to see it finished! Did you say what metal you're doing?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad u chose Jin. Sounded like you really loved that more.

MidwestGal

Rough_Rock
packrat|1430951309|3873193 said:
MidwestGal|1430884888|3872786 said:

Yay!! Can't wait to see it finished! Did you say what metal you're doing?

We have chosen rose gold! I always figured I would get a platinum e-ring but I think the Jin is meant to be in rose gold!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the Jin, it screams "custom" in addition to all it's other great points. Congrats to you both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results