shape
carat
color
clarity

My soon-to-be Lang Antiques e-ring!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
So BF and I had The Talk a few months ago and decided that we'd like to be engaged sometime within the next year. Of course I was very excited about this, and thrilled to be embarking on my e-ring project. BF knows of my jewelry and diamond obsession, so was perfectly happy to let me take the reins and pick everything out myself.

For the last couple of months, the lovely B.E.G. has been helping me out and being my sounding board for ring/setting/stone ideas and has very graciously gone to try on sparklies with me, give me her opinions of how things look on me, and indulge my flip-flopping on what I thought I wanted. We finally had a clear picture of what I wanted, which was to purchase a round stone stone (either modern RB or OEC) and have a custom setting created that would meet my very picky standards.

I had been leaning towards finding an OEC center but having not seen very many IRL, B.E.G. and I decided to visit Lang Antiques in San Francisco last weekend for some sparkly fun and to see if I liked OEC's as much as I thought I did, since the store is completely filled with gorgeous antique cuts. Away we went! After trying on a ton of gorgeous rings, I put this one on and immediately fell in love with it. I was so surprised because I had zero intentions of finding a ring that day, and I had even less expectation of finding a completed ring anywhere that made my heart sing. I looked at the price tag and would you believe it, it was less than HALF of what BF and I had discussed for the budget! The stone is quite a bit smaller than what I had been wanting and had my heart set on getting, and I questioned the size and whether or not it looked "big enough" on me, but ultimately I realized that this entire ring is so perfect that the stone size doesn't matter. (The setting won't really allow for a larger stone and Lang's only sells the complete ring, so swapping out stones wasn't an option.)

I told BF about it a couple of days later, and he was amenable to accompanying me to Lang's this weekend to have a look at it and possibly deciding to get it. So we did, and he did!! I don't expect an engagement in the immediate future, it'll probably be sometime in the next 6-8 months, but I knew I couldn't wait that long to get on here and post some pictures of it. Not sharing would make me a very bad PSer indeed!

B.E.G. took all of these pictures last weekend, and I've been looking at them all week. Each time I do, my heart skips a beat - even moreso now that I know it's going to be MY ring. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to get any other pictures of it until BF proposes, which as I said will probably be in 6 months at the earliest. But I guess until then, I have these pictures to keep me going!

Thanks for looking!!

langring1.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
The second one was taken outside because our saleslady was awesome and said we could take it out there so I could see it in natural light, and the stone was so incredibly bright!

langring2a.JPG

langring8.JPG

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
And lastly, I tried it on next to my Simon G eternity band just to get an idea of how it'll look with a wband. Looks pretty good, I think!

:wavey:

langring6.jpg

langring4a.JPG

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Star Sparkle, I just spent an obsessive couple of minutes refreshing this thread to see if you'd posted more pics. I've NEVER done that with a thread in SMTR before, which should speak to just how gorgeous it is! I've actually been trying to articulate something similar to a couple of designers recently - like a cross between a bezel and fishtail prongs is how I phrased it, so what a lovely thing to see it in living color!

Big congratulations on finding "the one" - I hope it's a delightfully anticipatory 6 months until you have that baby on your finger. If you (and by "you" I mean "likely everybody who checks this thread") want to see more of it, perhaps Lang's will have its page in their archives? :devil:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous! :love: Congratulations! .....and I bet you won't have to wait the whole 5 months. My guy said that the wait was as hard for him as it was for me. Some how I doubt that! ;-)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that is just so beautiful!! My gosh, what a timeless beauty, elegant and perfect on your hand! And it looks so good with that style of band - Hope you don't have to wait too long to wear this lovely ring!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it's beautiful! I LOVE it, Star Sparkle! It looks great with your eternity band, too.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a gorgeous and classic ring! It looks great with your eternity band too! I'm sure it will be a challenge waiting until you can wear it all of the time!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a beautiful ring and I love the setting! It looks gorgeous with that wedding band too! I'd say perfect!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Circe- Thank you! I wish I had more pictures, but these are the best of the lot and darn it that I can't take more right now! Lang's might have it in the archives, but, if you can believe this, I don't think the ring looks anywhere near as nice in their stock photos as it does IRL. After I saw it at the store I went home and looked it up online and wondered if it was really the same ring! It just looked very large and clunky in their photos, and very NOT in mine! That's probably a good thing, though, because I bet if it looked better in their pictures it wouldn't have lasted the whole week and been there waiting for me yesterday. :naughty:

Christina..- I hope not! Even if I do, though, I think it'll be worth the wait. :) Thanks!

junebug- Thanks! I agree about the band, but I may try to go with stones just a tad bigger in my wband. I think there's going to be a very fine line, though, between looking good and overpowering the e-ring. I'll just have to go try a bunch of stuff on and see what size works!

Zoe- Thanks, doll!

yenny- It certainly WILL be a challenge! I'm fine right now, but I bet I'll be getting super antsy as time goes on. Your oval is actually one of the stones that swung my pendulum in the antique cut direction, it's so gorgeous!!

tyty- Thank you! I do love the band too.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ohh it's so gorgeous :) :) :) that setting is absolutely perfect for the stone and it looks great on your hand. congratulations on finding your ring and I hope the proposal comes soon!

I must get to Lang's sometime for window shopping...they have some beautiful pieces!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is very pretty - dainty yet substantial at the same time. It should pair very well with whatever wedding band you choose.

How on earth are you going to wait six months? I guess if there is a pot of gold at the end of the wait it will all be worth it. So wonderful that you found just what you are looking for!

Tell us about the stone - size, color, clarity. There are a lot of folks on this forum looking at these types of rings; the info would probably be helpful to them to compare what they might have found against the specs of yours.

Many congrats to you now and in the future. The ring looks absolutely splendid on your hand - wow!!

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock
It's gorgeous and looks very pretty on your hand! I love the edging/prongs around the center diamond.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on finding a ring that makes you happy. I hope your wait for the engagement goes by quickly. The ring looks gorgeous on your hand. The setting is beautiful and classic. How lucky for you to be able to shop in person at Lang's. Have fun searching for an equally beautiful wedding band to go with that stunner.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
How awesome that you found a ring that just makes your heart sing! It's beautiful and looks great with your eternity band. I hope your BF doesn't make you wait the whole 6 months :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS! Oh wow. I ADORE IT! I really do. I think it's absolutely the perfect size on you! And it's VERY classic but with those prongs and the orange blossoms on either side of the baguettes it's got just enough personality to make it unforgettable and utterly arresting. LOVE IT. Truly. I think it might be one of my favorites I've ever seen on here. Great choice. Wear it in the best of health. And I hope to see it in person one day!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. It is very pretty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!!! :love: Oh, I would love to go to Lang's! You made such a good decision! Seeing a finished ring is SO much less risky than going custom. So it is really lucky to find what you want already complete!

Hopefully you won't have to wait long. I never understand why a guy would wait months to propose once he has bought the ring! :confused:

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
It is really pretty and I know what you mean when you said about the lovely setting.. Very delicate and nice indeed.
Certainly looks good on your finger and best of all <50% of your initial budget.
What could be better than that!!?

Congrats! Dust all the way! I hope he proposed SOON and don't keep you in the suspense.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so stunning!

I have to say I'm a little jealous of you ladies who got to help pick out your own rings, the window shopping sounds so fun!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Easy to see why you fell in love with it! I's amazing!! I hope your wait goes by fast... I want to see more. :naughty:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
YAYAYAYAY!!!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

So PSers, those pics do not do the ring justice at all. It's so incredibly white and sparkly and unique in person. I can't wait until Starsparkle gets it!

SS - thanks for letting me tag along and try on sparklies with you! :)

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:love: that is gorgeous, the stone, the setting - amazing - congrats!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I love the cushion-y shape with the baguette sides! And those prongs! TDF.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks pointed out that I forgot to include specs, so here they are (to the best of my knowledge; Lang's is sending me the certification paperwork in the mail and I haven't received it yet):

Ring: vintage circa 1930, head and prongs are platinum, rest of shank is yellow gold. I don't like the way yellow gold looks on me, but none of it is visible from the top view anyway so it doesn't matter. I'm considering having the yellow gold rhodium plated, but we'll see.

Stone: OEC, .65cts, K VS1, approx 5.6mm. Obviously the style of prongs makes it look much larger than its carat weight. Including the baguettes and single cuts, tcw is .75 (hard to believe, isn't it?).

Finger size: 4.25, though I'll probably get it sized to 4.5.

If I learn anything I didn't already know from the cert, I'll come back and let you know!

slg47- Yes, you MUST get to Lang's to look! And all the people who work there are so nice and helpful and not pushy in the slightest. I think they'd let you try every single ring on if you felt like it!

MissGotRocks- Haha, yeah, I'm starting to realize that the waiting part isn't going to be as easy as I initially thought. Thanks for the kind words!

oooohh shiny- Thanks, I do too! It's funny because I never thought I'd like prongs that were so in-your-face, so to speak, but I just adore these.

moosemom-- Thank you! I'm already excited for the wband search, hopefully that goes smoothly.

Lil Misfit- I hope not either, and thank you!

Gypsy- I had been trying to figure out a way to describe the stones/shapes on either side of the baguettes, and orange blossoms is perfect!! Thank you so much for your comments; I think you have fantastic taste in jewelry and what you said just reaffirms the thought that I made the right choice. You can see mine if I can see yours! :wink2:

marcy- Thanks!

diamondseeker- You're right, going custom can be very risky! I think I may have a bit of a wait because we had originally discussed being engaged by sometime next summer, that's when BF said he's most likely be ready. We only got this ring so soon because I saw it and fell in love with it last weekend, and I convinced him he needed to get it now because it'd be gone if he didn't pull the trigger soon, and that I'd be heartbroken if it sold to someone else. So I don't know that he's necessarily ready to be engaged right now, but he definitely wanted me to have this ring that I loved so much so he decided to buy now. Thanks for the lovely compliments!

sweet_pea- Thank you!

mitsui4- I know, right?! What I like best about it being so (relatively) inexpensive is that we'll probably be able to afford an upgrade sometime down the line without me having to sell or trade this one in. Best thing ever!!

MakingTheGrade- Thanks! And you can totally go window shopping just for fun!

MrsBettyBoop- Thank you! I can't wait to share more pictures of it.

B.E.G.- You totally rock! Thanks SO MUCH for all your help! I truly couldn't have done it without you. And just so you know, our sparkly adventures aren't over. How could they be, especially with JE right down the road from us?

oneam- Thank you, that's how I feel about it too!

lknvrb4- Unique, but classic. That's what I love about it too! :)

kribbie- Thanks!

Kismet- Yes, the prongs...sigh. Works of art, are they not?

centralsquare- Thank you!

Thanks again for all your comments, ladies. You're all so wonderful!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your soon to be e-ring! My now FI (then bf) and I did the same thing with our vintage ring (also circa 1930's) and he held onto it for a year and it was SO hard to wait for it, but well worth the wait! He would some times take it out and let me "visit" it but after a while I wanted to have it be a "surprise" again so I said don't take it out until it's on my finger for good ::)

The detail is BEAUTIFUL! My ring was the same way (YG shank) and I did plate it. It made a big difference and while I can see the YG a little how on the bottom it's much better han the YG shank. I'll replate it once more right before the wedding so it's perfect for pictures but I don't think I'll do it that often after that just because it doesn't really bother me.

If you'd like I can post before/after plating and sizing here for you. But it's your SMTR thread and I don't want to post pics without permission ::)

My ring size is also 3.5-4 and it was sized down from a 5-6 (can't recall) so I just had them plate it after resizing it (before I even saw it in person). I LOVE LOVE LOVE your ring though! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results