shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My ruby and diamond Art Deco ring

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been seeing lots of rubies on the boards lately, a trend I hope continues because I think rubies are delicious. I always tried to go for peachy pink shades for a ring, but they never looked as good on my skin as a nice BOLD red.

Back in the day I was (and still am) a grunge/punk head and my teenage self thought it was sooooooo cool when Kurt Cobain gave Courtney Love a ruby engagement ring. It's a really powerful look.

So I pulled influence from her ring (this was the early 90s and there aren't many good pics) but I also wanted the same stoplight style of Scarlett Johansson's ring. I had a custom ring sketched out but would have to find stones from different sources and while I like doing that, I just don't have the energy for custom right now.

Enter Ms. Scottie!!!!

My brand new (yet antique) ruby and diamond ring, the perfect culmination of all my ideas send to me in a red leather box tied with a bow.

The center diamond is a .25 carat transitional cut very fluorescent diamond flanked by two natural square cut rubies. I don't know what treatments they've had. I assume heat, but my jeweler did confirm them to be natural, which is plenty good for me!

The ring is solid 18k white gold. And unfortunately my camera can't capture the delicate milgrain and scalloped engraving. I will try again without an iPad camera. But for now I'm impatient so....

img_15326.jpg

img_15327.jpg

img_0379.jpg

img_15328.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more

img_15329.jpg

img_15330.jpg

img_15331.jpg

img_15332.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying for a clear pic ;(

img_15333.jpg

img_15334.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
last one

fullsizerender__1_12.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you found a beautiful one! :love: I love it! I have a ruby ring on my wishlist as it is my husband and son's birthstone, and my paternal grandmother's name was Ruby! I think it is great to find an antique ring in great condition! Saves a lot of agony deliberating on settings!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1488328321|4134932 said:
Oh, you found a beautiful one! :love: I love it! I have a ruby ring on my wishlist as it is my husband and son's birthstone, and my paternal grandmother's name was Ruby! I think it is great to find an antique ring in great condition! Saves a lot of agony deliberating on settings!

Thanks DS! You're right about that. Every piece of jewelry I've ever had was hunted and agonized over, this was so easy. I had been searching for not that long and I knew right away this was the look I wanted.

The ring needs to be resized. It is loose on my ring finger, but as I intend to wear it on my middle or index fingers instead. The milgrain is so delicate and needs to be freshened up in patches. There are some knicks on the upper shank, and it looks like the bezel might have been redone at some point. I'm not rushing to do anything yet though.

I had an extremely difficult 2016 and when I wear this I think about how far I've come.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, here's to a nice start to 2017 and I hope it will be a great year for you! I am sure you can get a little rehab to the setting sometime if it needs it!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! Congrats! (I hope to have something with ruby one day!)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I wish my pictures could reflect how nice it is. I might start another thread when I get a decent camera.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please post in the Colord Stones forum as well. There are a few threads about rubies at the moment. The coloured gemstone folks would love to ogle your ring!

Your ring is gorgeous and I look forward to seeing more pics. My three favourite elements in rings - Art Deco, rubies and older cut diamonds. Yum! :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very feminine and pretty. Looks just lovely on you! :appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous! I love everything about it! Rubies are really hard to photograph. At least for me anyways, lol. I really hope you can get some close ups.....hint.....hint..... :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I posted much better pics in the Colored Stones thread ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot! I LOVE this ring on you! Beautiful and elegant and just perfect. :love:
And I love it on your middle finger too. Congrats on finding a gorgeous antique ruby ring and congrats on making it through such a difficult year and shining stronger than ever! :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! Giving a bling covered middle finger to 2016 and skyrocketing into 2017 :bigsmile:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!!!

:wavey: :love: :love: :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1488736685|4136814 said:
beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!!!

:wavey: :love: :love: :love:

Thanks! I'm so excited my lil ole quarter carat made Jewel of the Week!!! :dance:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is lovely--thank you for sharing. :love: :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!! I love the undergallery too. The maker must have been a true craftsman with all the attention to detail that went into making this ring. Hope 2017 is as shiny and beautiful for you as this ring is! :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, every part of her! :love: :appl: Enjoy! Thank you for taking the time to post deets and pics! (I love the tube-y lights pic!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results