shape
carat
color
clarity

My OEC is here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I started my hunt for an OEC a few months ago, when I realised that I kept going back to the pictures of Facetfire''s, Surfgirl''s and ecf8503''s rings. I already have a rb ering, and though I love it, I wanted something that really made my heart beat faster the way only an OEC can.

I came up with several duds, mostly because I had limited ''play money'' and access to antique jewellery stores. In the end, I had to resort to ebay. Gaaah, all I can say is it took a LOT of patience and misses to finally get a passable stone. If I did have more funds available, I would have definitely gone to Ari at Singlestone.

Anyway, last weekend, I went to the only antique jewellery store I know of. A lot of PSers have said that one actually needs to see an old cut diamond in person to find out if it''s really what they want, so that''s what I set out to do. I saw two rings in the window that were most likely OECs. They were about 2 carats? Anyway, they were large enough that I could see the blocky kite shaped facets and small tables that OECs have. I walked into the store and politely explained to the sales assistant that I was interested in old cut diamonds and wondered if I could have a look at some. There were two sales assistants there and only one other customer in the shop, so they weren''t run off their feet. The sales assistant said, "I''m sorry, we don''t have anything like that." This is an antique jewellery store, mind you. I persisted and said, "But I think I saw two rings in the window that were old European cuts." and pointed to the rings. She said, "Oh, those are very expensive." The penny dropped and I turned around and left feeling like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she gets snubbed by the snooty sales assistants, only I''m not nearly as pretty as she is, and I couldn''t go back the next day with Richard Gere''s platinum credit card and buy those rings!!!

Despite the rude sales assistant, I''d seen enough OECs in the shop window to know that the cut just captivated me, so I bit the bullet and gave ebay one last try. I bid on a .90ct K (looks more like an L or M to me), SI2 OEC and it arrived in the mail today.

When I first opened the package, the diamond was wrapped in blue paper. I looked at it and gasped. How could they call this a K? It''s an I at the very least! It''s so white! But lo and behold, as soon as I took the diamond off the paper and put it in my hand, it showed its true colours (so to speak) and it was very warm. It''s sort of a beigy, lemony sort of warm, and it looks almost green in certain lights. It really doesn''t look right next to the F coloured diamonds in my wedding ring, but I figure I''ll just turn my wedding ring around to hide the diamonds if I wear my OEC with it. Its light performance is completely different from my round brilliant. It seems to be much more reflective, and the fire under halogen lights is breathtaking. I almost blinded myself playing with the diamond under my study lamp (haha, you know how people say playing with something can make you go blind? They must mean diamonds).

Anyway, you''re not here to listen to me ramble
3.gif
Here are the pics. I''m sorry they''re so horrible. The diamond is much more beautiful in person and I would really appreciate any photography tips on how to take a good picture of it! I have a Casio Exilim, if that helps!

CIMG1525.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, I forgot to add that the diamond is just sitting in a temporary setting. I''m going to take my time finding a proper setting for it.

CIMG1528.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Full hand shot

CIMG1530.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
You can definitely see the tint against a white background. I actually like the diamond a lot better when it''s not placed against my skin. I think my asian skintone makes the diamond look even more yellow
39.gif

Last pic for now.. thanks for looking!

CIMG1547.jpg

Stardust

Rough_Rock
That''s beautiful! I''m on the hunt for an OEC as well and it sounds as though my adventures have been much the same as your''s. How lucky you are to find something so beautiful - I like the photo of it in the box because you can really get a hint of what the facets look like there.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!
30.gif
Can''t wait to see some close-ups. I looked at the pics before I read your story, and I thought it was way over a carat, you must have tiny fingers! And PFFT to those snotty store people. How do they know what your budget might be? I love your Julia Roberts analogy, lol.
11.gif

mamalala

Rough_Rock
Wolftress, it is simply beautiful!

Try putting your camera on Macro setting (the little flower icon), it will help you take clear, focused photos.

It does look huge. I''m very curious about ebay prices. Do you mind telling us how much it cost?

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
stardust: All the best with your hunt for an OEC! They are becoming really rare, but I think that makes the diamond even more special when you finally find ''the one''. By the way, are you a Neil Gaiman fan?

Lyra: Thank you! My ring finger is a size 2.75, so that does help to make the diamond look a bit bigger
2.gif
The actual proportions of the diamond are 6.20 x 6.07 x 3.80. It''s not perfectly round because I suspect the jeweller polished out a rather large chip in the girdle.

mamalala: I''ve been looking on ebay since June and have had several really bad experiences, so a lot of it depends on your luck. I''ve had sellers who lied in their listing about carat weight and dimensions of the diamond, about cut (claiming a rb was an OEC) and about colour. A good rule of thumb is to add on at least one colour and clarity grade to what most ebay sellers say their diamonds are. And make sure that their SI clarity is really eye clean. Also, don''t buy from anyone who has had a lot of negative feedback, or who doesn''t have much feedback at all. If you can spend a bit more, I would see if any of the Pricescope vendors can help you - it could save you a lot of time and effort in the end.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What a great find! I love it! I have been really wanting an old cut stone since I saw one in a local jewelry store. I really love them in warmer colors! Sorry the sales people were so nasty in the first store you tried.
20.gif
Their loss! What jerks!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Miranda! I too prefer old cuts in warmer colours. Mine looks tinted white in most lighting conditions, but the large facets throw back a lot more light than my round brilliant.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations wolftress, on your new/old OEC! It seems lovely but I''m dying to see CLOSE UPS!
31.gif

Oh, and phooey to you for having such SMALL FINGERS! Geez...a .50 would look huge on those tiny fingers. You lucky gal!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
surfgirl: thank you! I feel like I have a valuable piece of history in my hands. I don''t know how you managed to take so many beautiful shots of your ring... I''m going nuts trying to get a closeup of Little Lemon (yes, that''s what i''m calling her now
2.gif
). The camera goes out of focus as soon as I try to zoom in or move in closer to the diamond. Did you adjust the zoom settings on your camera?

SDL: I wish you had been there to tell her off! I was far too shocked to come up with a retort
38.gif
I''ve actually been brushed off there once before, when I went in looking for a ''something blue'' piece of jewellery for my wedding. Silly me to go back again. They won''t be getting any business from us or any of my friends, that''s for sure!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great find wolftress!!! I love OEC''s, and think you found a beauty!!
30.gif
30.gif
Congrats!!!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hi wolftress,
35.gif

That diamond is gorgeous! I am so envious...my mom has 2 OEC''s that were supposed to come to my brother and me, but she says that we can have them when she dies...you don''t really want to hear my response to that, do you???
9.gif
J/K!

I can''t believe you found such a great stone on ebay...as I am the ebay queen, I tip my hat to you! It is a stunner, and I can''t wait to see how you have it set!

Congratulations!!!
36.gif
36.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh, thank you. That''s such an honour because your ering is one of my top favourites on PS!

Harleigh, LOL I''m sure that huge, gigantic rock of yours will keep you entertained until you get your OEC
2.gif
I love the tradition of passing on jewellery in the family - it really gives it sentimental value. Hopefully your brother won''t be interested in OECs and you get to keep both!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your gorgeous find, Wolftress!! I would love to have an OEC.........jealously drooling here. We really NEED to see some close-ups, though!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love it! I agree, we need some close-up shots! Does your camera have a macro setting (symbolized by a flower, ususally)? I am dying to see the facet-pattern on that baby!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous, but I''m with everyone else-we *must* have more (better) pictures! Pretty please?!!!
12.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A true beauty like an oec with those chunky facets MUST be seen in focus!!!! Girl, get thee working on the macro shots! I can''t see the beautiful faceting in those blurry pics!

And the proper response (next time) to an offhanded remark like, "Oh those are very expensive" would be: "And your point is....??"
5.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
wolftress, what a beauty! I thought your fingers must be teensy, cos it looks so huuuuuuge!!! and that woman at the jewelry shop? phooey to her! I''m like you, I would have just blushed, mumbled and shambled out. I wish I could think of smart retorts.

Anyway back to the stone! How will you set it? I can''t wait to see it close-up. Get practicing!

Congrats,

a

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful stone Woftress! Congrats!!!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
kathleenmv, thank you! I feel very lucky that Little L found her way to me
2.gif

Catmom, it''s currently being set in a temporary setting. After that, I can safely take it outdoors for some sunshine shots
3.gif

Facefire, I can''t wait to capture the facets on camera. I looked at it through a loupe at my jeweller''s and it''s amazing. It looks like a hall of mirrors. The bottom facets are a lot chunkier than yours or surfgirl''s. They look less neat and ordered, so maybe it''s an even older cut? I like the wonkiness of the facets, they remind me that it was cut by hand!

thing2of2, I will definitely come back with better pictures. I may have to enlist the help of my photographer friend though!

FireGoddess, I''ll remember that for next time! I know I look pretty young and don''t dress up a lot, but for all she knew, I could have been a millionaire in disguise!

angeline, I''m eyeing ericad''s new setting by Singlestone
2.gif
I wonder if Ari could do something similar for Little L.

skippy, thank you!

I promise to come back with some closeups once it''s set. I didn''t want to go outdoors carrying a loose diamond. I''m such a klutz, it would have ended up lost in the grass for sure!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...stop posting woman, and starting photographing...STAT! And that''s an order!
28.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree we need some closer pics. I love OECs and yours is beautiful!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock

surfgirl, LOL. yes''m!

Tacori e-ring and ericad, I promise I''ll be back with sunshine shots as soon as I get the ring back on Thursday!

Meanwhile, here are some not very good shots taken by the seller. They''re fuzzy but you can see the faceting. Not sure what those black lines are - reflection of hair maybe?

DSC01093.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Another.

There''s also a video of the stone in action, but I can''t seem to link it here...

DSC01113.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Wow Wow WOW! What a rock!! I can''t wait to see more of it....
4.gif
3.gif

mamalala

Rough_Rock
I''m seriously thinking of purchasing one on ebay now. SO GORGEOUS!

Who was your seller??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results