carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326574814|3103042 said:
Thank you, MGR! I just spoke with Jonathan's daughter, Sarah, and she also went to look at the diamond and said she certainly could not tell it apart from one of the signature H&A stones! So I feel great about it! Anyway, I also talked with Lynda about the Vatche setting, and their sample ring actually takes a 1.5 ct. stone, so she is going to sit a diamond in it and take a picture and email it to me! Then she said if I want to see it in person, they will send it Tues. and I can send it right back the next day. Sooo, I will post the pictures here since BlueIris is still undecided about what setting she wants, too. Lynda said the Vatche settings are very fine quality which is what I have observed with the ones I have seen. I also asked if the setting had too sharp of a knife edge and she said not at all. She said it came up to a ridge but that it was soft and not a hard peak. I told her to look at Bliss' ring, and she said it was an optical illusion and that the knife edge is not that pronounced, which is good.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1326576508|3103055 said:
Blue iris, I've been talking to Bill about an eternity band too! I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

I'm so excited to see both your and DS's rings/set!!!

MrsSalvo that sounds exciting - can't wait to hear all about that either! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsS has been on all my diamond and setting journeys! I don't know how I would have made it without her good advice on many occasions! It is great to find like-minded people like those on this thread!

I am going to post a few pictures. My diamond really doesn't sit down in that setting, though. The one with the band is an AVC 5 stone that she just mentioned she had on her desk and I just asked her to put it in a picture! And that is my new diamond. The last picture of the finished solitaire is of a 1.23 ct. stone. I really think this setting looks even better with larger stones.

Vatche U-113b.jpg

Vatche U-113c.jpg

Vatche U-113e.jpg

Vatche U-113f.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, YAY on your decision! I figured that was what you'd decided, and glad I was right - though of course anything you decided would have been wonderful since they are all beautiful.

Thank you for posting the photos of the Vatche setting; it looks really nice! Are you going to have them send it to you to see? I'm really glad to hear that it doesn't feel sharp or have a hard peak! I like the look of the knife edge very much.

mrssalvo, please share what eternity or eternities you are considering! In spite of my earlier resolve to take it slow, I still browsed around on Pearlman's site again today. :D I really need to decide what I'm going with my e-ring first, though, because I can't wear a shared-prong eternity with my current setting without wrecking it.

DS, I am definitely still thinking about a diamond band to work with my e-ring but I must take it slow and be sure of what I want. But since I have it here, I wore the BN eternity for part of the day. I do love that look! I asked my husband's opinion and told him my concerns about too much bling. My husband said, "No, it doesn't look too blingy" and "That is about as subdued as you're going to get if you want a diamond band" and "If you go any plainer, you'll just be wearing your plain band". Sometimes it's hard for me to objectively see things that I'm wearing. I often have my daughter put things on for me to see. She's also tall and wears close to the same ring size. It helps to see things on someone else.

Re: upgrading my studs. I initially looked for 90-ish stones for the earrings, thinking it would be a great choice to keep the price down and still get good size, but they are few and far between! I know this is silly, and not particularly wise in terms of money, but I also kind of like the idea of being above 1 ct. There is that "mind" thing about the 1 ct. mark but also, like you, I think of my children having my jewelry someday, and that it would be nice to give them a 1 ct. stone to use for a ring or pendant, etc. So much about diamond stud size does relate to lobe size (and overall size of the person, I think), and you are fortunate that you and your daughters all have smaller lobes; I wish I did. Though I'm happy for the time being with my .80 studs, I do wonder if I should prioritize the earring upgrade, given the rising prices of diamonds.

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
Wow, so happy you were able to make the decision. Believe me I definitely know how hard it is!! But I cant tell you how happy I am that I went with this current stone. it already feels like I have always owner it. Its perfect for me as I am sure your new stone will be perfect for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
janetjoan64|1326590458|3103152 said:
Wow, so happy you were able to make the decision. Believe me I definitely know how hard it is!! But I cant tell you how happy I am that I went with this current stone. it already feels like I have always owner it. Its perfect for me as I am sure your new stone will be perfect for you.

I am just SO glad you held out to get the right stone! You are a very smart shopper and it all paid off! I am very hopeful I will feel the same way about mine!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueiris, it does help to see things on someone else, I think. I even use the mirrors in jewelry stores to get that perspective as well as in my own bathroom! That is an excellent point about larger diamond studs being used for ring stones someday! I had not even thought of that! I hope we live long enough that the things we wear daily will be more likely go to granddaughters! So I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about all that!

As far as the eternity rings go, there really isn't much difference between 8 and 10 points. As I said, your stone is larger than mine, so I think the 10 pointers are in better proprotion while the 8 pointers might look better with mine. Plus a 10 point band is still pretty worn alone. Of course an 8 point band can be stacked with 1 or two other bands and be worn without an e-ring, too. I don't think you can go wrong. I really wish you had a Tiffany's close by so you could try on different classic styles!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures came quickly - pretty setting! Are you going with it or are you going to think on it some more?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1326592517|3103176 said:
The pictures came quickly - pretty setting! Are you going with it or are you going to think on it some more?

Yes, Lynda was really quick with the pictures and so nice to talk with, too!

Well, as far as the setting goes, I have had years of looking at solitaires. I liked this setting back when I got the Leon, but the best one at that time was the one from Excel and they used the softer platinum alloy (yes, knowledge causes complications!). So I went with the Leon and while it certainly is a nice setting, the aesthetics could have been a little better had he raised the basket some.

The only ones I can think of that might be better than the Vatche in terms of quality for a 6 prong would be MM. But the setting I'd want is $2600 vs. $1900 for the Vatche (and those are both crazy high as far as I am concerned), and I am not sure my current bands would even look right with a MM ring. I really do think with MM or Van Crayenest and any that are very unusual style, you need to get the matching band. But with both of those, you are talking $5-6k for a set (or more if you went with larger diamonds in the band). I just decided I didn't want to spend that much, especially since I already have two diamond bands that need to be worn, especially the Tiffany one!

So, at the moment, I just don't know of any others that I love enough to get. I do think I should try on the Vatche, though, just to be sure it looks good with my bands. And by then, sna will have his wife's ring back and I can hear one more opinion before I commit.

Sometimes I think I should just go with the plain 6 prong Stuller and stop spending money on settings, though!!! No one really notices a solitaire setting anyway!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a very good idea to try this setting with your bands before making a final decision. Sure wouldn't want to risk that heartache if for some reason you didn't like them together.

It is a pretty setting and it is pricey. I guess the real value is in whether or not you like the look everytime you look at the ring. I think sometimes we all give other people more credit than we should for noticing things. Then again, you want that new stone showcased as beautifully as you can so - ugh! - I'm no help! Think on it a bit and I'm sure you'll decide the right thing for you!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326591134|3103159 said:
Blueiris, it does help to see things on someone else, I think. I even use the mirrors in jewelry stores to get that perspective as well as in my own bathroom! That is an excellent point about larger diamond studs being used for ring stones someday! I had not even thought of that! I hope we live long enough that the things we wear daily will be more likely go to granddaughters! So I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about all that!

As far as the eternity rings go, there really isn't much difference between 8 and 10 points. As I said, your stone is larger than mine, so I think the 10 pointers are in better proprotion while the 8 pointers might look better with mine. Plus a 10 point band is still pretty worn alone. Of course an 8 point band can be stacked with 1 or two other bands and be worn without an e-ring, too. I don't think you can go wrong. I really wish you had a Tiffany's close by so you could try on different classic styles!

Yes, I agree that somewhere in the 8 - 10 pt. range for a shared prong band is right for me and for my ring. I want to be able to wear it alone but I agree with you that either size works for that (though I give a slight edge to the 10 pt. band in that regard). I really need to figure out the e-ring setting first though ... so your impressions of the Vatche, and sna's thoughts about his wife's new Vatche, will be very helpful. Thank you for being willing to share your thoughts! Will GOG send the Vatche to you? I hope so!

As you know, I have the same hesitation about the high cost of a MM set. I'm sure that MM could make an e-ring setting that would work with your bands, but I'm not sure it would be better than the Vatche for that purpose. Is the Stuller a lot less expensive? I haven't priced settings at all, other than MM (and that pricing wasn't firm, by any means - just based on his published prices and not including the semi- or full-custom development fees, or the price for a diamond band).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Stuller is just what was around back in the day when most everybody had plain solitaires! They are sturdy and do the job, but totally plain:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-4.htm

Since I have a 1.5 ct setting just sitting here, if I couldn't decide on a permanent setting, I would just set it in the one I have. But I am hopeful about the Vatche setting. Yes, they will send it to me (you just give a cc#) and I will send it back within a day. That's all the time I'll need...either it is great or it is not. I won't spend the money on it unless I really love it (as much as you can love a plain solitaire!). They will hopefully send it out on Tuesday.

But I would absolutely dread not setting it now. I have been on PS for 6 years and I really know all the plain solitaires at this point, and there just aren't any that stand out more than this one for under $2000, anyway.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
The Stuller is pretty but I like the Vatche much better! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it once you see it. It's good that you have the H Levi if you need it because I too would want my diamond set right away; where's the fun in a new diamond if you can't wear it?! :D I imagine you DO know of every solitaire setting there is, which works to your advantage!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
blueiris|1326588301|3103141 said:
mrssalvo, please share what eternity or eternities you are considering! In spite of my earlier resolve to take it slow, I still browsed around on Pearlman's site again today. :D I really need to decide what I'm going with my e-ring first, though, because I can't wear a shared-prong eternity with my current setting without wrecking it..

Blueiris, i think you should definitley do 10 point stones with your e-ring. Its amazing how quickly those little stones shrink and i don think anyone ever regrets going bigger, unless the ring just overwhelms the e-ring or something, which wont happen in your case at all. I'm actually looking for a standalone band so I don't have to worry about girdles eating at an e-ring. I love Memoire and the quality of those rings. I also like how low set they are where they won't rub when next to many solitaire designs. I am looking at 2 of the Pearmans Bridal rings.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-bridal-jewelry/rings/161EE1/

And

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-bridal-jewelry/rings/156EE1/

DS, I think you need to do the Vatche if you like it in person. You've had several solitaries settings and your heart keeps coming back to the Tiffany repro style. Sure, it's a little more pricey but it's exactly what you want and I think it will be worth it in the long run.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1326638573|3103380 said:
mrssalvo, please share what eternity or eternities you are considering! In spite of my earlier resolve to take it slow, I still browsed around on Pearlman's site again today. :D I really need to decide what I'm going with my e-ring first, though, because I can't wear a shared-prong eternity with my current setting without wrecking it..

Blueiris, i think you should definitley do 10 point stones with your e-ring. Its amazing how quickly those little stones shrink and i don think anyone ever regrets going bigger, unless the ring just overwhelms the e-ring or something, which wont happen in your case at all. I'm actually looking for a standalone band so I don't have to worry about girdles eating at an e-ring. I love Memoire and the quality of those rings. I also like how low set they are where they won't rub when next to many solitaire designs. I am looking at 2 of the Pearmans Bridal rings.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-bridal-jewelry/rings/161EE1/

And

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-bridal-jewelry/rings/156EE1/

DS, I think you need to do the Vatche if you like it in person. You've had several solitaries settings and your heart keeps coming back to the Tiffany repro style. Sure, it's a little more pricey but it's exactly what you want and I think it will be worth it in the long run.

MrsS, both of those rings are gorgeous - I love them! Do you still have your DanielK ering?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326602356|3103243 said:
I like your current setting and I like my daughter's Vatche Caroline setting. But since I just had a 4 prong basket setting, I do think I want the change to a 6 prong, like you have mentioned. I don't know if you have ever seen these pictures, but here is a 3 ct. stone in the Vatche!!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/solitaire-engagement-rings/vatche-6-prong-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-24302.htm

I wonder if you could wear your rings with the Grace setting; it's awfully low. But the Legacy has the diamonds protected, doesn't it?

I totally disregarded six-prong settings when I was looking. I thought I didn't like them, probably because I'd only seen the standard (Stuller look, probably not as nice). But then not long after getting my ring, I saw the MM Flame/Torchiere rings and changed my mind very quickly about six-prong settings. I think it also helps make round stones look round, though the prongs on my Grace are so tiny they really don't square it up very much.

No, I had not seen those photos of that big stone in the Vatche, but it's gorgeous! I will be waiting to hear your impressions on Wednesday. If you can, I'd love to see some photos of the setting on your hand. Do you have a CZ the right size so you can get a really good idea of how it's going to look (even though the prongs will be sticking up)?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo|1326638573|3103380 said:

And

mrssalvo, if I get an eternity band, I am definitely leaning toward 10 pt. stones - and those are the exact two rings I was looking at! Bill highly recommended those bands. Either of those will be gorgeous as a standalone band. What size of diamonds are you considering? Will this ring be for your right hand, or to wear as an alternate to your wedding set? I am thinking about the Memoire rings as well, too. Bill said they are built "like a tank" (meant in a good way, of course!)

I need to figure out my e-ring setting first. It's seeming less and less likely that I will go with MM for my e-ring but if I do that, then I'll have him make my band too.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
totally TDF... Gorgeous :lickout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsS...I do hope I love it in person because I dread the thought of having to start over!!!

blueiris...I think the Grace would be very similar to the Leon setting other than your diamond is set a tiny bit higher than mine was. My Leon prongs were almost invisible, so it definitely did not make the stone look square like some people think about 4 prongs. I want to get the setting through GOG, though, because it is so much easier to let them do it. Fortunately they carry many brands if for some reason I don't like the Vatche. I do have a 7.5mm cz, thankfully, so I will be able to sit it in any setting I try on, but the pictures she took at GOG of the setting with the diamond showed that the diamond did not sit far enough down to really get a true picture of how it would look set. But I am actually more concerned about the look of the shank and how it works with my bands. Lynda assured me it was more of a ridge than a sharp knife edge, which was a relief.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, mitsui4! :)

DS, ah, I didn't think about your CZ not being able to be "seated". But at least you'll get a good idea of how it works with your bands and the quality of the setting (which I have no doubt is high). If you can take photos of it with your bands too, I would so appreciate it! :)

It's so much easier to get the setting & the diamond from the same place and you know GOG will do a great job! I keep looking at the photos on Whiteflash's site of the Vatche with that large diamond, especially the photo in the white flowers. It's so pretty! I also looked at the real Tiffany setting again on their site, and noticed they show the shared-prong ring (like what I have here, only full eternity) and a channel set band as suggestions for wedding bands. Maybe that means that the doughnut on the real Tiffany (and by extension, the Vatche) will keep the stones from touching too much? I can't think that Tiffany would recommend a band that would damage the e-ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vatche actually sets the stone, so GOG would send the diamond to them. It's just easier than me having to accept the diamond loose and worry about trying to insure it before it is set. I've done it before but I want to do it the easy way this time! Oh, and I will definitely take pictures with bands!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, duh - I knew that Vatche sets the stone. Sorry! :)

Could you also measure the ring's height off your finger at various points (since it has a knife edge and isn't the same height all around) and if possible, the height of the part that is below the prongs (the bottom of the basket, I guess)? I think that could be helpful information regarding eternity band height. And since you have vastly more experience than I do, anything else you think would be helpful to measure. :D (If I am being a big pain about this, just tell me!)

I remember you (and/or maybe it was Bliss) in sna's thread saying something about asking Vatche to set the diamond very, very high and then it would come back the right height. I wasn't sure at the time what was meant by that, and I'm still not sure. Do you mean the height of the diamond within the basket? That's all I can think that it could mean but just to be sure I understand .... and also, is that just for aesthetic reasons or is there another reason(s)? Sorry if these are dumb questions!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1326655720|3103538 said:
Oh, duh - I knew that Vatche sets the stone. Sorry! :)

Could you also measure the ring's height off your finger at various points (since it has a knife edge and isn't the same height all around) and if possible, the height of the part that is below the prongs (the bottom of the basket, I guess)? I think that could be helpful information regarding eternity band height. And since you have vastly more experience than I do, anything else you think would be helpful to measure. :D (If I am being a big pain about this, just tell me!)

I remember you (and/or maybe it was Bliss) in sna's thread saying something about asking Vatche to set the diamond very, very high and then it would come back the right height. I wasn't sure at the time what was meant by that, and I'm still not sure. Do you mean the height of the diamond within the basket? That's all I can think that it could mean but just to be sure I understand .... and also, is that just for aesthetic reasons or is there another reason(s)? Sorry if these are dumb questions!

Oh, sure, I can try to measure anything you want! It just might be approximate due to not being able to use the calipers for some of the positions we'd be measuring. Mine are too large and I need some tiny calipers! Bliss was the one who said to set the diamond very, very high, and those words scare me a bit! She meant the height of the diamond itself. I also do not want the culet of my diamond to be set down into the shank of the e-ring. But I don't think Vatche really set her diamond high in actuality. Her diamond is high because she has a large stone, but I would say it is set a normal height, not really high. This is the one part that scares me a little.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
DH is setting up the new laptop while watching the games (Go Ravens... :appl: :appl: ..... Sorry, I couldn't'
help myself!) this afternoon, so I will type more later when I don't have to hunt and peck on this tablet. :nono: :nono:

DS, does this mean you won't go to NYC? :???: Surely, we can find a reason to shop for something fun!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1326664369|3103639 said:
DH is setting up the new laptop while watching the games (Go Ravens... :appl: :appl: ..... Sorry, I couldn't'
help myself!) this afternoon, so I will type more later when I don't have to hunt and peck on this tablet. :nono: :nono:

DS, does this mean you won't go to NYC? :???: Surely, we can find a reason to shop for something fun!

Yay!!! Glad you will soon have a new laptop!

What it may mean is that I may go later. When my other diamond sells, I will still have some credit to spend :naughty: , so I might take a trip then...which I am hoping will be in the spring!!! But we'll see. It would be great fun for some of us to meet in NYC!!!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure you're right about it being difficult with larger calipers; if you have a ruler with mm measurements, that might help. Thanks so much, DS! I really appreciate it. :)

I am a little freaked out by the idea of a "very, very high" diamond too. I don't like rings that stand up really high off my finger. The only side view of Bliss's ring doesn't show the culet at all (and it might not show anyway with the style of setting) so I can't tell how high it's set, but from what I can see on her finger, it looks fine.

Owie's Nana, glad you're getting a lap top! :)

ETA: I keep forgetting to ask how "Vatche" is pronounced? Rhymes with "catch"? Or ...?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I wonder from time to time how some of the designer names are pronounced, and I am not 100% sure, but I think it is Vah-chay.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR...I saw where you said you are expecting your first grandchild in July! That is so funny that we are both getting our first around our 35th anniversary! Will they find out what it is? Is it your daughter or son? Do they live near you? We are having the best time with our baby!

Also, I have this vague recollection that maybe we have talked about our husband's car hobbies before. My husband has a 1960-something Porsche that he plays with. He restored and even older one years ago. But that is what our extra garage/shop is for, too! What kind of cars does your hubby restore?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326673938|3103782 said:
Well, I wonder from time to time how some of the designer names are pronounced, and I am not 100% sure, but I think it is Vah-chay.

Thanks, DS! I had no idea how to say it.

I know you and MGR both saw sna's wife's ring! I was glad to see the closeup photos which allow us to really see the setting. I'm looking forward to seeing it on his wife's hand tomorrow, and with her eternity ring - and hopefully other views of the ring, too.

DS, not too much longer to wait until you have the setting to try on, and I am really looking forward to hearing your impressions! I'm leaning strongly in the direction of the Vatche now, after giving this a considerable amount of thought over the last few days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results