shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW my Jeff White teal sapphire ring

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I've been a long time lurker here and just wanted to share my new ring. I've learned so much from the pricescope forums, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge!
My setting was made by Green Lake Jewelry Works. It's platinum with a peacock motif and small blue diamonds around the center stone and down the shank.
I originally had it set with a simulant while I was saving up for a diamond center, but really didn't like the look of it. I also felt the ring needed color. I found Jeff White through he CS forum and he cut a beautiful blue green sapphire cushion for my ring. I am so thrilled with the stone! Jeff has been so helpful and his communication is outstanding!
The sapphire is a 2.54 carat unheated/untreated cushion from the Taraba State of Nigeria. I think it's the perfect color for a peacock ring!

bluegreen_nigerian_sapphire.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you found the perfect stone for your ring. How amazing you already had a ring with a peacock motif and these beautiful peacock stones fell right in your lap. Love it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous colour! And the setting is ideal for it. Enjoy wearing it!
Please post some handshots too.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my that's stunning - truly a masterpiece! Congratulations!

BTW - have you seen the Whistler Peacock room at the Smithsonian? I suspect you'd like it!

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I just googled the whistler peacock room...I definitely need to see that in person one day! :)
I haven't got a lot of great hand pics, I really don't like the way my hands look in photos! Here's one that turned out ok:

And here is one from David Klass (he set the sapphire for me):

_33034.jpg

_33035.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, thanks for sharing! :love:

I was hoping the first of his teal sapphire would to a PS CSer so that we get to see the pics of the stone as well as finished ring. :appl:

DK :))

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow love that color, I have always wanted a stone that color, congrats on the beautiful ring!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color! Your sapphire looks right at home in that setting! Beautiful! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just gorgeous!!! :love: I love the color of the sapphire and the setting is so original and perfect for that stone!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I just love the color of that sapphire, saw that on his FB page!

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the nice comments everybody! It was really fun to go through the design process.
I have one more hand shot to show. The sapphire really lights up in the sunshine. I really love the way it was cut, it looks like a flower in the center of the stone to me.

_33057.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh I love Green Lake's work - just a bit edgy, just a bit non-conformist, and the execution is impeccable every single time. I started a project with them a few years ago and really enjoyed my brief time working with them ::) How long have you had the setting?

Your new sapphire is gorgeous!! JW really is SO easy to work with with and his cutting is always :love: And yup, that is the PERFECT stone for that setting!!! I can see why you felt your setting needed colour - I completely agree! This pairing just... works - the vividly coloured stone is strong enough to hold its own against a very bold and forward setting, whereas I think a colourless or paler stone might easily be overwhelmed...

Do you wear a band with your ring?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OH SO glamorous! :love: :appl:

cheers--Sharon

picante27

Shiny_Rock
@yssie
Thank you! You are right about the setting overwhelming a colorless stone. That is exactly what happened. I got the setting back in late May and wore it for about 4 weeks before deciding it really needed color. Green Lake has a source for Montana sapphires and they cut them in house, so I was originally going to get one of those. A Montana in the color and size that i needed was pretty darn expensive though, since they are not as common. That's when I found Jeff, who just happened to have this rough from a brand new find in Nigeria. Must've been meant to be! :dance:
So I received the sapphire in late July and sent it to David Klass to set for me. It was back on my finger by the first of August!

Green lake was wonderful, and they really do have a unique style. I worked with Amber, and highly recommend her. I started with a picture of a silver spoon with an engraving of a peacock, and a pic of a vintage ring that I loved. She took all my scattered ideas and crafted the design. The ring turned out better than i imagined!

I've tried pairing it with a band, but haven't found anything that looks good with it. I think maybe it's too wide or something. But it's a right hand ring, so that's alright.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
picante27|1438982112|3912314 said:
@yssie
Thank you! You are right about the setting overwhelming a colorless stone. That is exactly what happened. I got the setting back in late May and wore it for about 4 weeks before deciding it really needed color. Green Lake has a source for Montana sapphires and they cut them in house, so I was originally going to get one of those. A Montana in the color and size that i needed was pretty darn expensive though, since they are not as common. That's when I found Jeff, who just happened to have this rough from a brand new find in Nigeria. Must've been meant to be! :dance:
So I received the sapphire in late July and sent it to David Klass to set for me. It was back on my finger by the first of August!

Green lake was wonderful, and they really do have a unique style. I worked with Amber, and highly recommend her. I started with a picture of a silver spoon with an engraving of a peacock, and a pic of a vintage ring that I loved. She took all my scattered ideas and crafted the design. The ring turned out better than i imagined!

I've tried pairing it with a band, but haven't found anything that looks good with it. I think maybe it's too wide or something. But it's a right hand ring, so that's alright.

That's so great that you had four weeks with it to find out exactly what you needed to do with it! That's more than enough time to come up with an idea, mull it over, scrap it, revisit it, and ultimately be confident in your decision ::) I have the devil of a time forcing myself to step back for some time...

This stone obviously WAS meant to be :devil: what perfect timing on that rough! I'm actually waiting on a stone from Jeff to set into an old setting too - a yellow zircon round for my Ering setting, having cannibalized the diamond for my new earrings. He's finished cutting and heating it and it'll hopefully be on its way to me soon, and I'm on pins and needles waiting to see it in-person!!

I wish I knew who I worked with :(sad it's been a few years and those emails are long gone. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Amber... I remember having the same sort of experience though: the designer was able to take my wants and opinions and piece together something that actually looked, y'know, pretty, and wearable :bigsmile:

Yeah, I was wondering about the band... But that ring works beautifully as a standalone, no partners needed :sun:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
This is the most unique ring I have ever seen, at least on this site! Gorgeous, gorgeous!!! And the sapphire goes perfectly with it.
I wonder if they would make a ring for me with a phoenix to go with the violet spinel. Would be a great ring for my PS namesake!

If you want a suggestion on a band to go with this bold and beautiful ring, look up d'aguiar on etsy and look up their thin engraving band with diamonds. I think it might goes very well with this ring. It's listed for 18k gold but I had mine upgraded to unplated plat. Let me know if you want a link or to see mine.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GL captured the lines of the peacocks grace perfectly! They're so difficult to bring to life, but they succeeded in spades. And the stone is perfect with it! Bravo! I'm going to be coming back to these pics to admire quite frequently. <3

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring. Congrats on jewel of the week!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! The stone is amazing! I love all of the little details in the stone! Just beautiful.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1439003024|3912413 said:
picante27|1438982112|3912314 said:
@yssie

That's so great that you had four weeks with it to find out exactly what you needed to do with it! That's more than enough time to come up with an idea, mull it over, scrap it, revisit it, and ultimately be confident in your decision ::) I have the devil of a time forcing myself to step back for some time...

This stone obviously WAS meant to be :devil: what perfect timing on that rough! I'm actually waiting on a stone from Jeff to set into an old setting too - a yellow zircon round for my Ering setting, having cannibalized the diamond for my new earrings. He's finished cutting and heating it and it'll hopefully be on its way to me soon, and I'm on pins and needles waiting to see it in-person!!

I wish I knew who I worked with :(sad it's been a few years and those emails are long gone. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Amber... I remember having the same sort of experience though: the designer was able to take my wants and opinions and piece together something that actually looked, y'know, pretty, and wearable :bigsmile:

Yeah, I was wondering about the band... But that ring works beautifully as a standalone, no partners needed :sun:

I'm sure your zircon from Jeff will be beautiful! I'll be looking for pictures when you get it. I have asked him to cut a garnet for me from the rough that he posted on Facebook recently. This is becoming a dangerous "hobby" :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results