shape
carat
color
clarity

My Custom BGD Creation

Steverin06

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new to the forum here but I have been lurking for quite a few months learning as much as I can about diamonds and vendors.

After many months of learning I decided I wanted a custom setting, so I spent a lot of time with my future fiance taking her to dozens of jewelry stores and seeing which designs she likes. She really liked the Demarco DW4722, and she loved the prong design of the BGD trellis II. She also really likes the feel and look of a euro shank, and she likes rose gold better than white or yellow so I came up with a few rough sketches of all of these ideas put together and this is what Brian Gavin's design team CAD'd. It's basically a Frankenstein ring but BGD did a fantastic job making all of my ideas flow together IMO.

I decided it will be in 14K rose gold, with platinum prongs. The wedding band will be their 5 stone trellis II design in rose gold with platinum prongs as well, and will be made side by side with the setting so the heights/weights/trellis prongs match exactly. These will be made in about a month at a combined cost less than the Demarco! The larger side diamonds will be 10,15,20s respectively. The center diamond will be around a 2.25 BGD blue, I haven't got it exactly picked out yet. I've bought two center diamonds already and have returned them and I'm now going with BGD for everything. I've visited their office twice and met with Brian and Leslie on separate occasions and they have been fantastic to work with. Also, Jamie has been very very helpful and patient throughout.

I am told the CAD, although fantastic, is still a bit more blocky then how it will look in real life - especially the trellis prongs. What do you guys think?

Steve

**photos have been removed per our logo policies. Please feel free to upload new photos without logos*

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy moly! Well...that's pretty amazing! What band will she pair with it? A thin pave band with the milgrain on either side would be gorgeous.

echomomm

Rough_Rock
Breathtaking. I am normally not a big fan of "busier" rings, but I absolutely love the combination of the rose gold and platinum trellis prongs and the diamonds down the sides of the band. I bet it will be exquisite when it is done!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that it's gorgeous! I also think that you will be shocked by how much more delicate (in a good way) it will look in person. I was shocked when I received my ring because the photos had been so magnified that my sense of proportion was way off. Please come back and post more photos of the actual ring and handshots when you can. Nice job! :appl:

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Steverin06|1358547927|3359095 said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum here but I have been lurking for quite a few months learning as much as I can about diamonds and vendors.

After many months of learning I decided I wanted a custom setting, so I spent a lot of time with my future fiance taking her to dozens of jewelry stores and seeing which designs she likes. She really liked the Demarco DW4722, and she loved the prong design of the BGD trellis II. She also really likes the feel and look of a euro shank, and she likes rose gold better than white or yellow so I came up with a few rough sketches of all of these ideas put together and this is what Brian Gavin's design team CAD'd. It's basically a Frankenstein ring but BGD did a fantastic job making all of my ideas flow together IMO.

I decided it will be in 14K rose gold, with platinum prongs. The wedding band will be their 5 stone trellis II design in rose gold with platinum prongs as well, and will be made side by side with the setting so the heights/weights/trellis prongs match exactly. These will be made in about a month at a combined cost less than the Demarco! The larger side diamonds will be 10,15,20s respectively. The center diamond will be around a 2.25 BGD blue, I haven't got it exactly picked out yet. I've bought two center diamonds already and have returned them and I'm now going with BGD for everything. I've visited their office twice and met with Brian and Leslie on separate occasions and they have been fantastic to work with. Also, Jamie has been very very helpful and patient throughout.

I am told the CAD, although fantastic, is still a bit more blocky then how it will look in real life - especially the trellis prongs. What do you guys think?

Steve
Wow, that's quite a ring!! Amazing! I'm really intrigued about your matching it with the 5 stone trellis II as the wedding band. This looks like a lot of coverage by itself, so I can't imagine how much coverage your fiancee will have with both rings. This is so exciting. I'd love to see the pair together! Do you have a CAD showing both of them and how they'll mate with one another?

D

Deactivated member 42515

Wow!!!! That's gonna be a RING!!! I cannot wait for the finished product!!! You have amazing designing skills!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You know I have to say that typically I'm not a fan of taking 2 classic styles and trying to mash them together...it typically never works out and just looks busy/ tacky/ just plain bad. BUT I have to say I really like what you did with this ring. :love: I don't think it is too much and both styles really blended very well together. The biggest compliment I can give someone on their jewelry is that I love it so much that I would buy it and wear it. And I would definitely love a piece like this :love: :love: :love:

I think Brian and Leslie really saw the vision you were going with this ring as it obviously came out beautifully. PLEASE DO come back and post actual photos with and without the trellis wedding band! I can't wait to see it! Just gorgeous.

And as a final side note- I like BGD they have done a bracelet for me in the past, but I have NEVER really been blown away by any of their custom work till I saw this ring. Very impressive! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Just WOW! :love: :love: It's going to be so incredibly beautiful! I can NOT wait to see the finished piece!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say that in reading the description I was very skeptical. . . until I saw the picture! I think you have blended several things into this ring very beautifully! Not sure about the band description either but I'm sure willing to give you the benefit of the doubt - you've already made a believer out of me!

Can't wait to see handshots!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you want some RTesque thoughts or is this an SMTB thread? Can't quite figure out what you're looking for ::)

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

no words... just in pure love!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1358561617|3359296 said:
Did you want some RTesque thoughts or is this an SMTB thread? Can't quite figure out what you're looking for ::)

It looks to me as if he wanted some input on the CAD vs. how it will look IRL, especially the prongs.

OP, I think the prongs do look a little larger but given that it is a CAD, I think it'll be fine once the finished product is made. In addition, your center stone is quite substantial (a 2+ct blue?? :love: ) so I think having sturdy (but delicate) prongs will be great. I think overall the design came together extremely well, and what I saw on the CAD was exactly how I pictured it as I read your description!

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
It is totally different from the anyone I has met online, it's unique and original, stunning!!!

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! :love: I would love to see how it looks completed! You chose perfection (a BGD diamond) for the stone :)

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
That ring is very beautiful! What makes me like it even more is all the thought/time/effort you are putting in to it for your future bride - making sure it is exactly what would make her happy. You are as precious as that ring! Congrats!!!! :appl:

Steverin06

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am blown away from the responses on here! I know you guys are all jewelry fanatics so it means a a lot to hear how much you guys like this ring. This is something that I put a ton of time into, adding elements that I knew she will love but not necessarily something that would be so beautiful to everyone else. My woman is a military nurse and has seen and done some pretty traumatic things. She is a very special woman that I believe deserves something truly amazing.

The platinum on rose gold turned out to be a much bigger PITA than I had anticipated. They are actually going to have to cast two rings(for each ring), one in rose and one in platinum, separate them at precise parts and then fuse them together. This is not something I wanted to compromise on, however and BGD has gladly taken on the challenge.

Unfortunately I do not have a CAD for the wedding band. It will be a a lot of coverage but she has large hands, she can take it ;-). The center prong will be Gavin's truth head as per his recommendation.

Here is a video of the moving CAD: http://youtu.be/PAR2zdcur2g

I included a few rough sketches they used used to make the CAD. The first pic is the DW4722 that I ginned up, the second one was a sketch that shows some elements of the ring, but not all.

_3191.jpg

rough3.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I do want to say is that it's a very high setting for a nurse, someone who is likely putting on and removing gloves all day long - is this going to be a special occasion ring or is it for daily wear?

I would remove the truth head and set the center within the "beaded collar" itself, that will cut down on the height significantly. I also think sticking to two styles - the trellis and the beadset melee - as opposed to introducing a third with the truth head - is worth considering. Third advantage is that it cuts down significantly on the amount of plain metal you see on the inside of the collar under the stone - your second CAD.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1358613026|3359635 said:
One thing I do want to say is that it's a very high setting for a nurse, someone who is likely putting on and removing gloves all day long - is this going to be a special occasion ring or is it for daily wear?

I would remove the truth head and set the center within the "beaded collar" itself, that will cut down on the height significantly. I also think sticking to two styles - the trellis and the beadset melee - as opposed to introducing a third with the truth head - is worth considering. Third advantage is that it cuts down significantly on the amount of plain metal you see on the inside of the collar under the stone - your second CAD.

This is one of the things that bugs me in the CAD. I don't like that weird plain metal area under the head. I like Yssie's suggestions.

Steverin06

Rough_Rock
She won't wear this when she's working as an acting nurse, she works in an office now 80% of the time. When she works she will wear a band that matches mine. She likes tall rings, and the truth head so this is what works for her(hopefully!).

**photos have been removed per our logo policies. Please feel free to upload new photos without logos*

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS. I love the height a lot, and I LOVE the bands you just posted too. I assume hers is the diamond one or are they both yours? Will the ering have a band designed to match the look or is one of these to go with it? Because to me I think you need something designed to fit with it and that looks similar to the ering you created, not a straight wide band.

Steverin06

Rough_Rock
The matching custom wedding band for the e ring is described in the 2nd paragraph of my original post. The brushed rose band will be her work band, and the black rhodium plated band will be my all the time band.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah... see I was picturing two thin plat or rosegold like the thin rose gold milgrained sections. One on either side.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results