shape
carat
color
clarity

My 5.01ct GIA L VS1 Round Brilliant Diamond

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh...something I want to bring up...NOBODY has said a word about my ring unless I have pointed it out (and there are very few people with whom I can do that)! It's so weird!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like what you did with your prongs on your ring! They look more delicate and overall the ring looks very nice now!

Tourmaline|1389801431|3593296 said:
Oh...something I want to bring up...NOBODY has said a word about my ring unless I have pointed it out (and there are very few people with whom I can do that)! It's so weird!!!

I think people notice they just don't like to comment and seem... rude? nosey? jealous? No idea WHY people don't comment, but I notice people don't often comment on my ring either! Now, mine is not 5ct :halo: but it is still unusual/noticable where I live. Anyways, you just need to start waving your hand in their face more.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1389801431|3593296 said:

I agree with Dreamer: I am sure people notice your ring , but indeed do not comment because of various reasons. I notice the same: some people do not comment, but others do (and I actually like that when it happens in (jewelry) stores etc.). Just enjoy wearing it!!! It's a fabulous piece, but for some people it is awkward to comment.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Dreamer and Acinom. I have a style (of dress and appearance) that doesn't match my ring. I live in a rural area and I don't wear makeup or do my nails ever, and I get my hair cut about once every three years, haha! I have a bunch of kids and my hair always gets brushed last, in the last 3 seconds before we jump in the car. I think people might think my ring is fake and not want to embarrass me or themselves. But I wish someone would say something! When I showed my mom (and yes, I waved it in her face), she said "He's out of his f***ing mind!" Nice.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My son has named my diamond "Penelope." :) In this photo, it seems to glow in the dark! No lights on, snowy day.

image_1081.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that 'glowing in the dark' pic :love: :love: :love:
Have you made complete peace with the prongs?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I :love: :love: :love: this ring! Classically beautiful.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1390690518|3601150 said:

In all honesty, no, I haven't. :(. I have looked at a whole bunch of pictures of Victor Canera's prongs and I am totally cooking up a reset in my mind. Also, I am thinking about a platinum basket with a rose gold shank, because he has a photo of a ring with those specs and a very light yellow diamond, and I keep staring at it. I found an old vintage ring with a gorgeous platinum basket with hearts between the prongs. My wheels are turning. But I'll probably change my mind a million times more. I guess the setting is feeling colder than the diamond to me.

Here are two photos I just took that show night time views (each in different lighting in the same room, with a wood-covered ceiling). I love the colorfulness of my diamond.

image_1082.jpg
image_1083.jpg

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!!! I love your ring. I am all the more for selling my 3ct now and looking for a warmer color and a older cut. Who did your setting? Would love to talk to them about a setting.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
autumngems|1390697700|3601198 said:
OMG!!!! I love your ring. I am all the more for selling my 3ct now and looking for a warmer color and a older cut. Who did your setting? Would love to talk to them about a setting.

Well, um, actually I found the maker on eBay. We had some back and forth and they drew the CAD according to what I asked for (on the second attempt), and they made it quickly and for a *really* good price (which was important, because we had blown our whole budget on the diamond) in platinum with VS H/I melee, but I don't feel warm and fuzzy about the setting or the process of having it made. I found them through a similar ring setting, 11mm, rose gold with 4 prongs instead of six. You could probably find them by doing a search there.

My husband likes the idea of a Victor Canera reset (yay!!) and we are going to take our time deciding on the material. At the moment I am thinking a platinum basket with a rose gold shank, but maybe I'd go all platinum with rose gold wedding bands, and no stones other than THE stone. I have a design in mind, and I know that Victor will exceed the ideas in my head. We won't do it right away, but it's nice to know it's out there. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1390692634|3601161 said:
Acinom|1390690518|3601150 said:

In all honesty, no, I haven't. :(. I have looked at a whole bunch of pictures of Victor Canera's prongs and I am totally cooking up a reset in my mind. Also, I am thinking about a platinum basket with a rose gold shank, because he has a photo of a ring with those specs and a very light yellow diamond, and I keep staring at it. I found an old vintage ring with a gorgeous platinum basket with hearts between the prongs. My wheels are turning. But I'll probably change my mind a million times more. I guess the setting is feeling colder than the diamond to me.

Here are two photos I just took that show night time views (each in different lighting in the same room, with a wood-covered ceiling). I love the colorfulness of my diamond.

image_1082.jpg
image_1083.jpg

Really??? Yay for your husband in supporting your idea of a reset. You have a gorgeous ring so it's good to take some time to think about it carefully before you spent more money.
Love the new pics :love: But the most important thing is that you love the complete package and that you feel happy about wearing your ring.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1390756129|3601509 said:
Really??? Yay for your husband in supporting your idea of a reset. You have a gorgeous ring so it's good to take some time to think about it carefully before you spent more money.
Love the new pics :love: But the most important thing is that you love the complete package and that you feel happy about wearing your ring.

Yes, I am going to try to live with it for a year and see if my feelings change. I ordered some simple rose gold bands to try on either side of it, and that might satisfy my need to warm it up a bit. We'll see.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Today I like my setting just fine. I am so fickle! My husband is glad that, though I waffle about the setting, I don't change my opinion of my diamond! Here are a couple of fire shots.

yellow-fire-diamond.jpg
blue-green-fire-diamond.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are a couple of new pictures. :)

image_1088.jpg
image_1089.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here it is with a rose gold band.

image_1097.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new pics are great!! :appl: What a gorgeous ring and such a beautiful big rock, I just love it! You must be having the best time wearing this Tourmaline!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
junebug17|1391096305|3604157 said:
Your new pics are great!! :appl: What a gorgeous ring and such a beautiful big rock, I just love it! You must be having the best time wearing this Tourmaline!

Thanks, junebug! Yes, I really am enjoying it. :) I'm loving the way it looks with rose gold near it. Here are two more photos. In one it looks yellow and in the other it doesn't! I love all the moods it has.

image_1103.jpg
image_1104.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So weird! My diamond looked fancy yellow today in the gym at my kids' school!

image_1115.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm loving the current configuration (with the simple rose gold band). My littlest one loves it, too. :)

image_1125.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been playing around with a loupe and my iPhone, and I love this photo. :)

image_1231.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can see one of the tiny cavities on the left of this rose photo, even though it's under the girdle. And there's a hair on the bottom right. Sorry about that. :)

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool!

LOL playing with a loop and your iPhone is fun huh? :naughty: :lol:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I've had the ring for a few months and haven't tired of taking pictures of it! Here's one from this evening, taken in a restaurant bathroom. It looked so pink! :)

image_1232.jpg

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
These pictures are amazing and your rock is gorgeous. Keep them coming. Why not? It makes you happy and makes us happy too.

Have you still been getting no or little reaction to your ring? I think most people just don't know what to say. They're probably a little shocked by it too.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iota15|1392635472|3616856 said:
These pictures are amazing and your rock is gorgeous. Keep them coming. Why not? It makes you happy and makes us happy too.

Have you still been getting no or little reaction to your ring? I think most people just don't know what to say. They're probably a little shocked by it too.

Thanks! I have been posting more pictures even though I don't get lots of responses here. I just hope I'm not annoying people with the pictures.

I don't get much reaction to it. One woman was really nice and supportive about it, though. I asked to compare my diamond to hers in a room where mine looked fancy yellow. Hers didn't and we compared the cuts of our stones, and they were very similar (both with low crown angle/depth), which surprised me. She said she thought mine did that because it's "so clear and beautiful," which was really sweet. :) I don't know exactly why mine does that (it scores 1.6 on the HCA tool), but I usually really like that effect. There are some times when I don't (it doesn't look good in light green rooms, and it looks kind of orange in wood-lined rooms without much natural light), but the pink and blue rooms make up for that. :)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a photo I like...it seems to be glowing from within. :)

penelope-finger-lightbehind.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow :love: , you're getting good with that loupe Tourmaline, your close-up pics are downright professional looking! :love: Keep posting pics - I love looking at your gorgeous ring!

I love taking pics of my ring too…I have a bunch on my computer…I always say if something happens to me and someone goes into my computer they'll think I was crazy lol! But who cares, it's fun!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
junebug17|1392742604|3617813 said:
Wow :love: , you're getting good with that loupe Tourmaline, your close-up pics are downright professional looking! :love: Keep posting pics - I love looking at your gorgeous ring!

I love taking pics of my ring too…I have a bunch on my computer…I always say if something happens to me and someone goes into my computer they'll think I was crazy lol! But who cares, it's fun!

Thanks, Junebug! The only photo I've posted that I took with the loupe was the one in the rose. The last photo was just with the iPhone. :)

I take so.many.pictures of my ring, haha!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1392743280|3617820 said:
junebug17|1392742604|3617813 said:

Thanks, Junebug! The only photo I've posted that I took with the loupe was the one in the rose. The last photo was just with the iPhone. :)

I take so.many.pictures of my ring, haha!

Omygosh, really? Wow, impressive!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been driving myself (and my husband, and probably a bunch of you) crazy lately, trying to figure out what I want to do about a potential reset. While I do think there will be a reset in my diamond's future (though I'm still not sure which direction to go), I want to say that I really love my diamond, and I love to stare at it in between other activities. It brightens my moments. :)

ring-on-finger-february.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results