carat
color
clarity

My 5.01ct GIA L VS1 Round Brilliant Diamond

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kelli|1387291930|3576065 said:
Also, I like the slightly bigger prongs. They make it seem like a rock of that size just COMMANDS the extra support- like a king being carried around by his servants. :D

Hahaha! :lol:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your find! What a sweet DH!

What ring size are you?

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the rock, its amazeballs! Love the chameleon photos, didn't know a diamond could do that!

Wear it is good health and happy festive season!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Big and beautiful! I really like the setting you chose.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! I bet it's really sparkly! I've never seen a stone like that in person. Wish I could! :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clairitek|1387397533|3577005 said:
Congrats on your find! What a sweet DH!

What ring size are you?

Thanks! We had ordered a 6.75, but it is a size 7. I have a ring guard on it (ring noodle, which is vinyl, so it doesn't hurt the metal ring) so it doesn't move around too much.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
nottospec|1387398015|3577007 said:
Congrats on the rock, its amazeballs! Love the chameleon photos, didn't know a diamond could do that!

Wear it is good health and happy festive season!

Thanks! The other night we had company and I got the opportunity to bring a friend into my daughter's room to see if my friend's very white diamond reflected the color of the walls. I had read here that it was a function of cut and not color, so I was eager to see. I could tell that my stone was better cut than hers, but hers was very white. Her stone did not do the chameleon thing. If it is, indeed, a function of cut, it's obviously some specific variant, as opposed to just how well-cut it is or isn't. Fascinating stuff!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm starting to feel a bit OCD (who, me?), but I had the prongs sanded even further, and I think I like them now. :)

prongs-again.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1388078345|3580810 said:
I'm starting to feel a bit OCD (who, me?), but I had the prongs sanded even further, and I think I like them now. :)

prongs-again.jpg

I actually think it was a good call to thin the prongs a bit, your ring looks even more beautiful now!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to admire new photo's and I'm glad I did come back. Your ring looks even more beautiful with the slimmed prongs. Very elegant!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a couple of pictures to add. :)

image_984.jpg

image_985.jpg

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh those are some serious sparkles! And they can be so hard to capture in pics! :love: :appl:

briolette

Shiny_Rock
*thud*
OMG, that ring is to die for! I love it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Congratulations!! AMAZING.....

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a rock! I love your setting, Tourmaline! It looks beautiful on you! Congratulations! I hope you adore it forever!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
luv2sparkle|1389361222|3590225 said:
Wow, that is a rock! I love your setting, Tourmaline! It looks beautiful on you! Congratulations! I hope you adore it forever!

Thanks, everyone! I love my diamond. To be honest, though, the large prongs are bothering me. I have been fantasizing about a simple, yet substantial Victorian-style yellow gold setting with 8 small claw prongs and simple curves. I don't know, though. I've reached out to Old World Diamonds and they said they could make me a setting like that, so it's just a matter of being sure that I want to do that (and waiting for my husband to be ready to spend another dime on jewelry, haha!).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs have been bothering you from the start so I understand that you are considering re-setting. For what its worth:
- your diamond shines in the setting and is the real star :love:
- your setting looks like it was made for your stone, it complements the stone and does not overwhelm
- WG is soooooo pretty on your hands
- your stone is so big, that the prongs do not overwhelm the diamond
- the total look is very elegant with the dainty shank and sturdy but safe and beautiful prongs
- I love your ring!!!!!

I can so relate with you though... The Sophia setting by VC is my forever setting but I had about 4 settings before I found the one for my 5.3 OEC :love:

Good luck in deciding what to do. Your ring is really pretty so I hope it grows on you :wavey:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1389370136|3590334 said:
The prongs have been bothering you from the start so I understand that you are considering re-setting. For what its worth:
- your diamond shines in the setting and is the real star :love:
- your setting looks like it was made for your stone, it complements the stone and does not overwhelm
- WG is soooooo pretty on your hands
- your stone is so big, that the prongs do not overwhelm the diamond
- the total look is very elegant with the dainty shank and sturdy but safe and beautiful prongs
- I love your ring!!!!!

I can so relate with you though... The Sophia setting by VC is my forever setting but I had about 4 settings before I found the one for my 5.3 OEC :love:

Good luck in deciding what to do. Your ring is really pretty so I hope it grows on you :wavey:

Thank you so much for your comments! They are very helpful! My daughter loves my setting, and she and my husband both really like the prongs. I wish *I* did! In certain lighting, I don't like the contrast between the platinum and the L color, but usually it doesn't bother me. The setting seems cold to me, I guess. I am living with it, trying to love the setting as much as I love the diamond.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes it doesn't look cold at all! It looks like a shiny star :love: . Especially in combination with the lovely freckles on your hand. But what matters most is that you love it. Do you usually wear YG? Perhaps you have to get used to the metal colour?

It's good that you take your time to make your final decision. I am glad you can already enjoy your diamond! I keep coming back to your thread because it's really amazing. What a rock :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1389372151|3590360 said:
To my eyes it doesn't look cold at all! It looks like a shiny star :love: . Especially in combination with the lovely freckles on your hand. But what matters most is that you love it. Do you usually wear YG? Perhaps you have to get used to the metal colour?

Hmm, I go back and forth between loving platinum and loving richly yellow gold. I have been mostly into gold for the last decade, but I do associate platinum with engagement rings. My engagement ring was platinum (emerald cut, and we traded it in toward this diamond). Maybe I could have the prongs made pointy, rather than rounded.

I think an eternity band would help me to focus less on the prongs. My husband says next year. :)

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Congrats on an exceptional ring! I thought the ring looked great before but it does look better w/the prongs sanded down. Despite your reconsiderations of going YG, most of us look at that ring and just see 5 cts of gorgeousness. More pics? :love: :love: Enjoy!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
flash_and_fire|1389375491|3590389 said:
More pics?

image_993.jpg

And a cropped version of the above:

image_994.jpg

image_995.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting is my dream setting!!! I love your stone.. it's soft, it exudes rainbow colors... it's awesome AND I think sanding down the prongs made it perfect.. I always want to reset after I reset.. so I understand you.. truly it's a classic masterpiece.... my most seriously green side showing!!!!! but BUT I am happy for you .... it's perfect.

=) :love: :love:

Tourmaline|1388078345|3580810 said:

prongs-again.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tekate|1389385744|3590487 said:
Your setting is my dream setting!!! I love your stone.. it's soft, it exudes rainbow colors... it's awesome AND I think sanding down the prongs made it perfect.. I always want to reset after I reset.. so I understand you.. truly it's a classic masterpiece.... my most seriously green side showing!!!!! but BUT I am happy for you .... it's perfect.

Thank you!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a head-on shot that shows arrows . :)

image_1000.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We went away for the weekend and I spent a bunch of time glancing at my ring. Though I know I sound like a broken record (!), I think I am getting used to my setting. I really want an eternity band with round diamonds, but that will have to wait. Until then, what do you think of this? It's the baguette eternity band I wore with my old engagement ring (actually got married with this band). It's temporary, but I think it'll do. I don't like wearing just the engagement ring...I want to look as married as I am, haha!

image_1013.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful band! In fact it is one of the most stunning bands I have ever seen. :love:

However, I would rather see both rings as a standalone ring. I feel your ginormous stone does not need anything next to it as it's a very sophisticated look. A fine eternity (same width as your e-ring shank) would probably be lovely and it could add to the delicate yet substantial look. A thin plain band could also work.

This eternity is powerful enough to stand on its own or would be a great stacking ring with other eternities.

But the most important is how you feel about the combination :wavey:

I am really happy that the setting is slowly growing on you! It's a beautiful piece with heirloom quality.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Acinom! Here's another band I have. It's the curved kind, which I don't really like because it moves out of alignment, but it stays in place better than it did with a previous ring because I have a vinyl Ring Noodle on the inside of the ering. That said, the setting on this band is different and it's white gold with plating removed from most of it when it was modified to go with a different ring. What's interesting about this is that the color of the band doesn't match the platinum of the ering, but it is closer to the L color of the diamond. What do you think of this?

image_1015.jpg
image_1016.jpg
image_1017.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally love it :love: the pave type is clearly different but I actually like that as it is not too matchy matchy. Both rings are delicate so they go very well together. I normally am not in favor of curved bands but this one is really really nice.
But your opinion is the most relevant. What do you think????

Have you also tried them in reverse order so first the band and then the e-ring on top?

Every time I see your ring, I love love love it!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This (curved one) is the one I've worn out in public. I usually wear the main ring by itself at home. I don't love it, and I want a regular round stones eternity band (with separate prongs, and diamonds that are bigger than the tiny ones in the main ring, but not enormous), so this is a place holder until I can get one. I would say it's ridiculous how much I think about this, but I know I am among similar minds here! :)

I can't bring myself to wear the band on the inside. My mom wears it on the outside, her mom wore it on the outside, etc.; it's just ingrained in my head, I guess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results