shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1.86ct antique cushion in DK solitaire

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
I am so excited to finally being able to show my antique cushion ring!

About a year ago I found a 1.86ct antique cushion at a local antique jeweler where I live. My husband gave it to me as a belated birth present for our three children.

After buying the diamond I made some drawings of different settings, but never went ahead with any of them. After a year in the drawer it was brought to my attention by a fellow PSer (Thank you!) that David Klass had a solitaire design contest and since I already had my design sketches I submitted them, never ever thinking I'd win. I was shocked, but happily surprised, to learn that I was one of the winners!

Based on my crappy sketches David made some CADs and pretty much nailed it the first time. I am amazed by how well he could translate my drawing into CADs and later into a wonderfully made ring. He completely understood what I was after and I am so grateful for the beautiful work of David and his team. The details have all been executed so well and I am beyond thrilled with the ring! It was a great experience and without this opportunity this design probably would have stayed as an idea, hidden away in a drawer...

The design:
When I was elaborating with design ideas I was inspired by many different styles and rings. PS has definitely been a wonderful source of inspiration! I wanted to combine old and new in my ring because I have a diamond that is over 100 years old and I wanted to give it a modern "outfit", but with a touch of old world romance. I love the vintage feel of milgrain and fleur de lis. I also like fluid lines and curves. When I combined the different elements I love I realized they had unintentionally formed four little hearts in the gallery. I am romantic, but not really a "heart-person" and was a little worried it would be too "cute", but irl it blends in with the design and is quite subtle. And I think these unintentional hearts serve as great symbols of the four people I am surrounded by in everyday life - my husband and our three children - the loves of my life :)

The setting:

14k unplated WG (palladium alloy)
0.30ct diamonds covering 3/4 of the shank.
2mm wide shank
Ring size 4.5

The diamond:
1.86ct antique cushion/OMB
More info about the diamond can be found here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-86ct-h-color-omc.194751/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-86ct-h-color-omc.194751/[/URL]

Big thank you to David Klass and his team for making this ring and for their beautiful work! And I am also very grateful for this forum. I have learned so much from people here and enjoyed drooling over everyones gorgeous jewelery!

Here are a few pictures of the ring design process from first draft to the finished ring.

_24834.jpg

_24835.jpg

dsc_203.jpg

dsc_0035__2_.jpg

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
Here are more pictures. I didn't have any flowers so I used some Christmas decorations... ;-)

dsc_204.jpg

dsc_205.jpg

dsc_206.jpg

dsc_0055.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! What an amazing ring. I am looking forward to see your handshots.

You made a fabulous design for your beautiful stone :love:

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
Are you tired yet...? Here is the last batch! :) The weather is horrible over here and I didn't manage to get any nice handshots. I might try later when (if) the sun come out.

Thanks for looking!

dsc_207.jpg

dsc_208.jpg

dsc_0192.jpg

dsc_0201.jpg

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1417602878|3794390 said:
Congrats! What an amazing ring. I am looking forward to see your handshots.

You made a fabulous design for your beautiful stone :love:

Thank you so much, Acinom!!! And you have some of the most amazing rings! :) :love:

umbrella

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness I love these photos so much! The ring is actually so perfect. I saw them on David's facebook page and fell in love with the beautiful milgrain and delicate design. I entered that contest too but kudos to you for winning! I can't wait to find the perfect OEC so I can have him create a ring for me :D

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love this ring, I saw it on his FB page. Enjoy your beautiful ring! :love:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous beyond words. Beautiful!!! [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!!! :)

I am sorry the pictures have such bad resolution. I have had problems attaching files and were unable to upload the high resolution pics and had to diminish them for it to work.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your whole ring is beautiful! :appl: And the pictures are actually amazing, especially the holiday themed ones!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful solitaire setting and the diamond looks fabulous as well - congrats!

ming

Shiny_Rock
This is YOUR ring?! I was drooling over it when he posted it on Facebook. Beautiful! I love the basket and the prongs. Great design work!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I am in awe of your journey to this ring. Combined with your recent auction find its just an incredible and inspirational story for others in search of their own old cut. The magic that is your stone literally brings tears to my eyes-- it's fine art, really. It doesn't get much better than this. Would love to know more about your hunt, how did you spot this stone and its potential, why did you take a chance on it... all the behind the scenes details :).

Congrats on your ring. It's magnificent. You've clearly got a great eye and instinct. Can't wait to see what you find next :)

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
I love everything about it! The stone, the setting, your photos, it looks perfect on you! Big congrats :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful! Very romantic & delicate! Stunning :love:

More hand shots please!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS and so romantic. :love: Just perfect! Love everything about your ring. Enjoy in health and happiness! And please post lots more pics. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow--fabu! Great story, ring and on beautiful hands! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I was admiring your ring on FB as well. It's such a beautiful romantic design :love: What a lovely way to showcase your gorgeous diamond!
I can't believe that beauty sat in a drawer for such a long time. Congratulations on designing a perfect forever home for it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
truly a lovely, lovely ring. love the smooth lines, and swoopy feel. congratulations!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I am sure you will enjoy this ring for many years to come!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a neat design you came up with & it turned out beautiful, congrats!! :love: :love:

LADiamondHunting

Rough_Rock
That is flipping beautiful! The basket/head design is unique and absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on a one of a kind masterpiece! Wear it with pride.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your photos are gorgeous, your original sketches were pretty awesome, and DK nailed the look and feel :love: :love: :love: And the workmanship looks fantastic :appl:

Congratulations on winning the contest - I'm very, very glad you did because your design *needed* to be brought to life :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh - and I had to add - I LOVE that you went unplated :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results