shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet Audrey, my 2.55ct S-T OEC bundle of creamy goodness :)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey guys, meet my new OEC!

(long story of how I got the stone below. Feel free to skip down to the last line for the full specs, and then a ton of pics!!! :bigsmile: )

~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Some of you may know that I've rapidly gone through several OECs in the last year, it's been a pretty intense journey to find an upgrade that felt right. I went from 1.01-J to 1.75-L to 1.54-K to 1.22-J to 1.50-J (the last two I never posted here because I only had them for a very short time before returning). Finally, I decided to spend my entire budget (and more) on something that would be the "next step" kind of upgrade. I bought a stone on ebay that was listed as approximately 2.38cts (actual weight 2.55cts), appraised K, VVS2. I had some reservations about the color (there was no cert), but the faceting looked extremely promising.

I got the ring and fell totally in love with the stone. I even named it within an hour (which is unusual for me) -- Audrey for Audrey Hepburn, because of her slender and graceful facets. ::) I had only one reservation about the whole thing -- the color. It was pretty clear that Audrey was not a GIA-level K, she was much warmer. But how much? I figured that if the stone was in the L-M... even N range, the price I paid was still pretty good (especially considering the beautiful platinum setting she came in).

I got the ring on Friday, and on Monday I had the stone taken out by my local jeweler. I knew before I bought it that I would want to re-set the OEC into my standard 6-prong yellow gold setting. When the stone came out, I was shocked by how warm it was. I panicked, and wrote the seller about this, asking if a return would be possible. To my dismay, the seller replied with a "firm no" because the stone had been unset. To be honest, I was really taken aback, because she had been so sweet and personable with me before. We discussed how we are both jewelry aficionados, we talked about the difference between GIA and EGL...

Anyway, I decided to send the stone to GIA to see what the color actually was. I paid for 1-day service, and after a nail-biting wait, I was told the stone was S-T, VS2. I was speechless, I admit. I wrote the seller again, asked for a partial or full refund (I would pay for the GIA myself, and re-set the stone back -- sending it back to her in the original condition with the GIA cert). The seller said no again. At this point I considered filing a case with ebay, but I had been dumb enough to pay via bank wire transfer instead of Paypal, so I didn't quality for buyer protection. I will probably leave the seller negative feedback (I hate to do this), but she pretty much told me -- "Tough luck for you, send it to EGL for a softer grade and try to sell it if you want your money back."

Luckily for me, Audrey is a beautiful stone and I didn't really want to return her (though a partial refund would have been so nice!). I've decided to put the negative seller experience behind me and enjoy this beauty. Audrey has lovely coloring, and I finally get it what people mean when they talk about the color of vintage lace. I've tried to capture that in the million pics I've taken. I plan to wear her for a good long while! Whether she's looking golden, lacey, white, silver, or bluish in the sun from the fluoro -- faceting like Audrey's just can't be beat! :lickout: As a friend of mine said, she is "a checkerboard flower hybrid," which I think just about nails it. ::)

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

OEC stats -- 2.55cts, 8.44-8.50x5.63mm, S-T range, VS2, 66.5% depth, 47% table, faint fluorescence.

I'll post the pics chronologically -- first in the original setting, then loose, then in the new setting.

_10057.jpg

_10058.jpg

_10059.jpg

_10060.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Meet Audrey, my 2.55ct S-T OEC bundle of creamy goodness

I think its gorgeous and even more gorgeous on you!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

pics cont'd...

_10065.jpg

_10066.jpg

_10067.jpg

_10068.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wowza! Sorry for your bad experience, but she really is a beauty!!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

and mooore pics ;))

_10069.jpg

_10070.jpg

_10072.jpg

_10071.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

pics cont'd... (i love to take pics. A lot).

_10073.jpg

_10074.jpg

_10075.jpg

_10076.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

picssss...

_10077.jpg

_10078.jpg

_10079.jpg

_10080.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

the next batch will be last, I promise ;))

_10081.jpg

_10082.jpg

_10083.jpg

_10084.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

last batch!

_10085.jpg

_10086.jpg

_10087.jpg

28.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks movie zombie and Laila! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful stone and she looks gorgeous on you!!
Sorry about your bad experience. But I am really glad you kept Audrey!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have to admit I went straight to pics!!! I love the ring. It is so beautiful and the Faceting so beautiful I had to read the story behind it. Sorry the seller was being like that terrible terrible and I do feel she should have done something. At the same time though I am so happy you are able to enjoy this stone. I love it in the yellow gold and thing it is just so beautiful in that solitaire setting. All the diamond pros will be on here soon to give real feedback but I just had to comment. Congratulations! The old cuts amaze me and I hope to own one in this lifetime!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's GORGEOUS!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

I can't find any words but :o :sun: :love: :lickout: and the last ones :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ohmygod, HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THAT!

Yes, the seller is being totally unscrupulous - it's not a flea market where caveat emptor, for goodness sakes! There is supposed to be a degree of accountability, and ... I am too tired to count, but, however many more than three color grades off is too much!

But, that said? That is one of the prettiest OECs I've ever seen, and the original setting makes me SWOON. Just imagine that set with a gorgeous colored stone .... :cheeky:

I think you and Audrey should take a nice holiday in Rome together. Or go to breakfast at Tiffany's. Or maybe just enjoy [your] love in the afternoon - she is beautiful, and looks SUPERB in the yellow gold, and alongside of that DELICIOUS french-cut band (how did I miss THIS???). I think you found a good'un, and I hope there will be many more pics!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is beautiful! The facets are stunning! And the colors it throws off are delicious! :lickout:

I cannot believe the vendor sold it as a K. The colour is incredibly striking when un-set, so its no wonder you had a wobble about keeping it. Bit it really looks at home in the new setting - it's a truly gorgeous diamond!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock

Audrey is a show-stopper! She looks beautiful in her new home! :appl: :appl:
Too bad the buying experience was so... let's just say: disappointing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gem, your Audrey is simply gorgeous! :love: So feminine and elegant. Just like the Audrey she was named for...I love her! :love: She looks beautiful on your hand and I think this was meant to be. Shame on the seller but I am so glad you have fallen in love with this beauty and I certainly can see why!

(I hope you plan on naming the seller so we can make sure to avoid her in the future)...

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

She is stunning! :love: :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love Audrey! She's gorgeous! I also loved her setting, though she looks pretty spectacular as a solitaire! I'm sorry that the seller wasn't willing to stand behind her stone. A GIA S-T is probably an EGL O-P, so that's still a far cry from a K, but all that really matters is that you love the stone. She has gorgeous facets and such a nice high crown! She's yummy! Congrats!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock

Gem, I just LOVE :love: Audrey! That is perfect OEC faceting...I bet she's a real discoball in person! I still chuckle when I think "of all the people to fall in love with a low colored stone!" Then again, I NEVER thought I would fall in love with a bald guy so there you go! Love is love. You "think" you know what you are looking for and then something different finds you! :D

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I just love Audrey as well! i think her faceting is stunning! And while I'm sorry you had such a horrible ebay experience with the seller (may she rot in ...), I still think you are the winner here as the OEC is just lovely!!!!!!!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Oh. My. Gaaaawd. :shock: Audrey is stunning. Her faceting is absolutely perfect, like one-in-a-million perfect!!! :love: She is really a chameleon with her color, which I love about lower colored old cuts. One minute they face up white as can be and the next they are a gorgeous creamy color.

The setting is gorgeous, love the yellow gold. The simple YG solitaire is such a classic look and compliments Audrey wonderfully. Not to mention that the YG looks great on you!

I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience with the seller. Shame on them for misrepresenting and not doing a partial refund when you got the GIA results. They definitely deserve negative feedback! With that said, I am so glad that despite the horrible circumstances, you are still able to love Audrey because she is AMAZING!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock

She's absolutely stunning. I love the original setting, but she looks so fabulous in the classic yellow gold solitaire. I'm glad you decided to keep her despite the bad experience with the seller.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

She looks fabulous in any lighting- what a chameleon! The faceting is so beautiful on it! :love: :love: :love:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

What. A. Stone. Beautiful! :love:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely gorgeous stone! :love: :love: :appl:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

Wow!!!

COngrats!!!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

She's beautiful! Congrats!

(I'm sorry you had a bad experience with ebay - jewelry karma will eventually bite the seller)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results