shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got this ring, did I make a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bregan

Rough_Rock

I was browsing ebay when I saw this ring. I was mesmerized by the picture and thought it was perfect. However, I failed to notice the color and clarity and purchased it. I won via a bid and paid 1015.00 total for it. Did i make a mistake, or can I feel good about giving this ring to my future wife?

Metal Type: 14 Karat White Gold
Gemstone(s): Genuine White Diamond

Shapes & Sizes:
Princess Cut 1.29ct (1)
Diamond Clarity: I2-I3 (natural, untreated)
Diamond Color: J-K (natural, untreated)

Total CTW: 1.29ctw
Item Weight: 3.40 grams

img5395628.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
What is the seller's return policy?

bregan

Rough_Rock
Well, they require the item be off color or clarity by one level for return. Do you recommend I try to get refund?

heather318

Shiny_Rock
I guess you''d just have to see what you think about it when you receive it and then if you want to return it, get it appraised and see if they grade it lower than the listing did so that you can return it based on their policy!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a jeweler by any stretch of the means, but that ring pictures is a stock photo and it does not look like what an I2-I3 clarity J-K color will look like. The color would look more white if it were an ideal cut stone, but that is not what you will be getting for that price in that carat weight.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I would... I would also do a lot more homework before spontaneously buying a ring.

Do you have the ring in your posession? Does it look yellow? Can you see the inclusions? If the answer to both is yes... you may want to try and return or resell.

Honestly, I''d go for a smaller, more higher quality diamond, but that''s MY opinion.
Maybe your gal would rather have something bigger for the budget, which is fine too.

If all else fails, you can always upgrade for an anniversary gift, if neither of you is satisfied & stuck with the purchase.

bregan

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your feedback. I just won the auction not 2 hours ago. I just emailed the seller and explained my ignorance, so hopefullyy the seller will just refund and go to his next bidder.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 9:30:59 PM
Author: bregan
Thank you all for your feedback. I just won the auction not 2 hours ago. I just emailed the seller and explained my ignorance, so hopefullyy the seller will just refund and go to his next bidder.
Aw, I hope so if that is what you want to happen. It can be so scary buying diamonds on ebay...you just don''t know who you can trust or what you are getting. There are times when you find a great deal that you can be proud of, but it is not usually worth the risk when buying something as important as an engagement ring. I hope that it will all work out for you, and I am keeping my fingers crossed
35.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:30:59 PM

I hope you''re able to get the refund, too! When you do, join us back here and we''ll help you find something spectacular!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Try to get a refund, then come back here for help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:19:01 PM
Well, they require the item be off color or clarity by one level for return. Do you recommend I try to get refund?

I doubt that will be a problem...unfortunately a ring described as they have will not sparkle and likely will unfortunately look like frozen spit...not going to look like the picture. If you have to get it appraised it'll cost $100 but I am highly doubtful that their grading is accurate.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I wouldn''t have gone that low in clarity in a princess....but thats just my opinion.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but I2-I3 is very poor quality. Possibly if the seller has a poor return policy you can take action based on misrepresenation of item since that photo (as stated above) is a stock photo.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:14:29 PM
Author:bregan

I was browsing ebay when I saw this ring. I was mesmerized by the picture and thought it was perfect. However, I failed to notice the color and clarity and purchased it. I won via a bid and paid 1015.00 total for it. Did i make a mistake, or can I feel good about giving this ring to my future wife?

Metal Type: 14 Karat White Gold
Gemstone(s): Genuine White Diamond

Shapes & Sizes:
Princess Cut 1.29ct (1)
Diamond Clarity: I2-I3 (natural, untreated)
Diamond Color: J-K (natural, untreated)

Total CTW: 1.29ctw
Item Weight: 3.40 grams

I''ll say what everyone is being to polite to say, but I''ll try to say it as politely as you can.

1.29 carat for 1000 bucks? I3 is the worst grade in clarity and I''m willing to bet that stone is going to look it. I would be hugely, hugely surprised if that ring is anything other than unacceptable...but then again, maybe what is unacceptable to Pricescopers is acceptable to others.

$1000 is a lot of money. Glad you found Pricescope. Please do some research before you plunk down your dollars so easily again.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2008 4:30:36 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I'll say what everyone is being to polite to say, but I'll try to say it as politely as you can.

1.29 carat for 1000 bucks? I3 is the worst grade in clarity and I'm willing to bet that stone is going to look it. I would be hugely, hugely surprised if that ring is anything other than unacceptable...but then again, maybe what is unacceptable to Pricescopers is acceptable to others.

$1000 is a lot of money. Glad you found Pricescope. Please do some research before you plunk down your dollars so easily again.
1.gif
Ditto. That size diamond for such a low price is not going to be a quality stone, or even have a good cut which is so important to make a diamond sparkle. I hope you can get a refund easily, then if you would like us to help you find a new ring, then please just ask.
35.gif

Lower colour and clarity if eyeclean is certainly an option if the cut is good for when you look for a replacement, I would suggest perhaps making reliably graded SI2 your cutoff for clarity, as you may not be able to find an eyeclean I clarity so easily - they are out there but you need luck and patience plus a working knowledge of diamonds to find one I think.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see a lot of red flags here...I''m glad you are trying for a refund. I will cross my fingers that it goes well. Otherwise you can try to go through paypal and get a refund.

Definitely come back here and educate yourself and consider spending your money with a reliable vendor.

kaori

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bregan,

Engagement ring is something that women take extremely proud of, I know it is hard for you to understand; therefore, I am going to give you the following analogy. An engagement ring for women is like the favorite sports term for men; would you like your favorite sports team play horriblly forever and the team gets laughed by anyone and everyone? I hoped your answer is NO. And there you go.

When it comes to diamond, size does not mean everything. For a tighter budget, I would rather have a smaller diamond with good quality than a big rock with bad quality. In fact, why don't you go https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/? This forum has posted many engagement rings which are under 1 karat, and you might get a better idea how would the ring looks like on your future wife's finger.

All the best.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 4:37:20 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 10/9/2008 4:30:36 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I''ll say what everyone is being to polite to say, but I''ll try to say it as politely as you can.

1.29 carat for 1000 bucks? I3 is the worst grade in clarity and I''m willing to bet that stone is going to look it. I would be hugely, hugely surprised if that ring is anything other than unacceptable...but then again, maybe what is unacceptable to Pricescopers is acceptable to others.

1.gif
Ditto. That size diamond for such a low price is not going to be a quality stone, or even have a good cut which is so important to make a diamond sparkle. I hope you can get a refund easily, then if you would like us to help you find a new ring, then please just ask.
35.gif

Lower colour and clarity if eyeclean is certainly an option if the cut is good for when you look for a replacement, I would suggest perhaps making reliably graded SI2 your cutoff for clarity, as you may not be able to find an eyeclean I clarity so easily - they are out there but you need luck and patience plus a working knowledge of diamonds to find one I think.
Thritto. Please get a refund, read the tutorials on here. We can help you find a gorgeous well cut stone, eye clean with the budget you have. Good luck, please let us know what the seller says.....

bregan

Rough_Rock
Thank you all again for your responses.

I received the ring and like one poster said, it looks like frozen spit. haha. There is a sizable crack in the diamond as well according to the jeweler. I already emailed the seller and I will let you all know his response.

In my defense, I really don''t know much about diamonds, which is the reason why I was blinded by the picture. ( actually thought I was getting a good deal, and knew that the picture was worth way more than the price I paid. Now, I''m really not a dumb person. Most of the time I would have done my research. However, I love this girl with all the little pieces of my soul and sometimes I am blinded by stupidity. She deserves much more than this ring, and I would die before I gave her this junk. However, I am on a tight budget, and cannot afford anything to big. She is modest, so luckily I do not have too, but what I do give to her, I want to reflect what is in my heart...

E B

Ideal_Rock
bregan,

You sound like a wonderful guy- your girlfriend is lucky to have you. Hopefully you can get a refund on the frozen spit (yikes!). Keep us updated and we''ll help you find something beautiful in your budget.
1.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh! That''s so sweet! Tell us what you think you''d like to get her and your budget, and I am certain the folks on here will help you find a very special ring for her. Do you know what style of ring she would like?

I hope you get your money refunded by the eBay seller. And, don''t worry about not knowing about diamonds. Lots of us on here didn''t know before we got here and some of us (like me, for example!) still have a lot to learn! So, thank goodness for PS being here to educate us.

bregan

Rough_Rock
I wish I would have found you all before! I just spoke to the seller by phone and they are agreeing to refund it. I have to go pick it up from the jewelers now (who actually finished the appraisal.) I will let yall know what it came out to be!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, you sound like a real sweet guy, your GF is a lucky lady!
I am so happy that you will be getting your refund...that is great news!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 3:44:53 PM

I received the ring and like one poster said, it looks like frozen spit. haha. There is a sizable crack in the diamond as well according to the jeweler. I already emailed the seller and I will let you all know his response.

In my defense, I really don't know much about diamonds, which is the reason why I was blinded by the picture. ( actually thought I was getting a good deal, and knew that the picture was worth way more than the price I paid. Now, I'm really not a dumb person. Most of the time I would have done my research. However, I love this girl with all the little pieces of my soul and sometimes I am blinded by stupidity. She deserves much more than this ring, and I would die before I gave her this junk. However, I am on a tight budget, and cannot afford anything to big. She is modest, so luckily I do not have too, but what I do give to her, I want to reflect what is in my heart...

Bregan you sound very sweet!!!! Now repeat after me: For my $1,000 I can get a beautiful, ideal cut (!!!!), half carat diamond that will outsparkle everything but my future fiance. If I want to make it easy I will just pick a stone graded by AGS with a rating of 0 (like Whiteflash's ACA stones). If I don't want to make it easy I will do tons and tons of research on here before I plunk down my hard earned $ again
2.gif

darling

Shiny_Rock
Oh, how relieved I am. I was rather worried about this Bregan. Everyone on PS will be so happy to help you find something really beautiful for your girl.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2008 3:44:53 PM

In my defense, I really don''t know much about diamonds, which is the reason why I was blinded by the picture. ( actually thought I was getting a good deal, and knew that the picture was worth way more than the price I paid. Now, I''m really not a dumb person. Most of the time I would have done my research. However, I love this girl with all the little pieces of my soul and sometimes I am blinded by stupidity. She deserves much more than this ring, and I would die before I gave her this junk. However, I am on a tight budget, and cannot afford anything to big. She is modest, so luckily I do not have too, but what I do give to her, I want to reflect what is in my heart...
Great news! bregan, it is so easy to not know where to turn when first buying a diamond, all of us have been there and many of us stick around to help folk out so that they can buy a diamond to be proud of! As Neat says, you can get a smaller diamond for the budget but it will be one which will sparkle like nobody''s business if you get a well cut one - a diamond which you can both be proud of! If you would like some suggestions for a lovely diamond, just let us know. Did you particularly want a Princess?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delighted to hear that you can return it. You''ll be able to get her a great ring for your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results