shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got this ring, did I make a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Is it OK to ask who the seller was?

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Your girlfriend is a lucky girl and you sound like a great guy!

I think finding a happy medium between price, size, and quality is important. I know many people here say they''d rather have a perfect tiny diamond than a big ugly one. I fall somewhere in between. I think stick with colors above H or I, and clarity above SI2 (making sure it is eye clean), and try to get the best cut and size that you can for the money you can spend. Here are a couple you might consider. I''m sure there are other PS''rs who will be giving you other tips as well! Good luck and please post the finished ring, and your engagement story!

I had a hard time finding many Princess cuts in your price on WhiteFlash.

0.57 Carat GIA Certified Princess Cut Diamond: G Color, SI1 Clarity $1086.00
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1405864.htm

These are some round diamonds...

0.5 Carat GIA Certified Round Cut Diamond: G Color, SI2 Clarity $987.00
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1512448.htm

0.5 Carat GIA Certified Round Cut Diamond: I Color, SI2 Clarity $1030.00
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1511718.htm

0.54 Carat GIA Certified Round Cut Diamond: I Color, SI2 Clarity $1097.00
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1511685.htm

0.53 Carat GIA Certified Round Cut Diamond: H Color, SI2 Clarity $1131.00
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1423005.htm

bregan

Rough_Rock
Wow.... you all are great! Thank you for the compliments, but I am the lucky one :). I will certainly come back here after my refund and accept the help finding something. The links in the last post were certainly some beautiful diamonds, and within my price range. But, I wont be so hasty this time. I will wait until something pulls on the little fibers connecting me to her, then clear with you all before I buy! I'm not sure about the princess cut anymore.

Oh.. the diamond appraised for 1000.00, and was rated K, I3 @ 1.25 carats. The text in the ad was an accurate description of the diamond, but the picture wasn't obviously.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your budget is fine and you seem like a really nice guy! Don''t worry, you''ll be able to find a great ring for your budget with the help of psers!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you are getting a refund. All the experts here will be able to help you find the perfect ring for your girlfriend.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
SO glad you''re getting a refund! Keep us posted on what you do next!

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''m glad you''re getting the refund! That was nice of the seller to do so!

You sound like such a sweet guy! The people on this forum will take good care of you- post any and all questions you have, and I promise you''ll get an honest & helpful answer!

Welcome to price scope!
face1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

bregan

Rough_Rock
I hate to bring up this old post, but I''m not sure where else to put my message!! First, I wanted to thank everyone here for your help and wonderful responses and compliments. After much thought, I have decided to not buy a diamond at all. You see, she is a very modest girl and probably the most non-materialistic person I know. I think she would actually be angry with me if I spent a half a paycheck on a ring, or a paycheck, much less 2 months worth! I don''t want her angry with me... so I think I will play it safe and just ask her with a plain gold ring. :)

Again, thanks for everything!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 1:16:57 PM
Author: bregan
I hate to bring up this old post, but I''m not sure where else to put my message!! First, I wanted to thank everyone here for your help and wonderful responses and compliments. After much thought, I have decided to not buy a diamond at all. You see, she is a very modest girl and probably the most non-materialistic person I know. I think she would actually be angry with me if I spent a half a paycheck on a ring, or a paycheck, much less 2 months worth! I don''t want her angry with me... so I think I will play it safe and just ask her with a plain gold ring. :)

That''s probably not a bad idea, although just so you know, you''d be surprised how many girls who don''t normally wear jewelry or anything, secretly love diamonds or want that "symbol" of the step the relationship has taken. My suggestion would be to propose with the gold ring and then tell her that she can pick out whatever kind of ring SHE wants - whether it''s a diamond, a colored gem (my personal fave!), just using the gold ring, or something completely different. Good luck and let us know how things go and what she ends up with!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad everything worked out for you.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2008 3:44:53 PM
Thank you all again for your responses.

I received the ring and like one poster said, it looks like frozen spit. haha. There is a sizable crack in the diamond as well according to the jeweler. I already emailed the seller and I will let you all know his response.

In my defense, I really don't know much about diamonds, which is the reason why I was blinded by the picture. ( actually thought I was getting a good deal, and knew that the picture was worth way more than the price I paid. Now, I'm really not a dumb person. Most of the time I would have done my research. However, I love this girl with all the little pieces of my soul and sometimes I am blinded by stupidity. She deserves much more than this ring, and I would die before I gave her this junk. However, I am on a tight budget, and cannot afford anything to big. She is modest, so luckily I do not have too, but what I do give to her, I want to reflect what is in my heart...
I would love to know where all these romantic guys are coming from???? Perhaps Mars?? Do they only post on PS? They certainly don't exist on my planet.

I always get so envious reading all the posts from men here!

She's a lucky lady, and I'm sure you'll get her a gorgeous ring!

heather318

Shiny_Rock
Maybe a diamond band would be a good alternative?? Cheaper than an e-ring but a little fancier than a plain band.. But you know your girlfriend the best, so definitely go with what you think she would want!

Have you talked about rings with her? Can you ask a friend or family member if she has mentioned the topic to them so you can see what she prefers?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes whatever you decide!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 3:54:14 PM
I wish I would have found you all before! I just spoke to the seller by phone and they are agreeing to refund it. I have to go pick it up from the jewelers now (who actually finished the appraisal.) I will let yall know what it came out to be!
Boy, did you luck out! I would have bet the seller was not going to give you a refund. Consider yourself very lucky.

I agree with the earlier post, give her the gold band and let her pick out what she wants. Tell her going into it that the band is just a "place saver" until she can pick out the one she really wants. If she wants the band, she will say so without you saying "if you want to keep the gold band you can". That may make her think you want her to keep it and she will feel bad asking for something else. Believe me, if she wants only the gold band, she will let you know on her own. Good Luck!

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
You''re a sweetheart! I wish you and your lady the best! Let us know when you do it, and we still want to see hand shots!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 1:16:57 PM
I hate to bring up this old post, but I'm not sure where else to put my message!! First, I wanted to thank everyone here for your help and wonderful responses and compliments. After much thought, I have decided to not buy a diamond at all. You see, she is a very modest girl and probably the most non-materialistic person I know. I think she would actually be angry with me if I spent a half a paycheck on a ring, or a paycheck, much less 2 months worth! I don't want her angry with me... so I think I will play it safe and just ask her with a plain gold ring. :)

Even the most modest, frugal, non-materialistic ladies I know really, really treasure their engagement rings. To them, it is one splurge they were okay with, especially since it was a gift from their beloved husbands. The ladies I'm thinking of both have modest solitaires (probably 1/2 carat or so) that mesh perfectly with their simple, no-frills lifestyles.

My humble opinion: give her the option of choosing an engagement ring after you propose. You can tell her what your budget is, and I would add that you will spend it on her one way or another. That way, if she chooses the band, she would still get a little weekend trip or some dinners out or something else her heart desires. Don't let the choice be between a ring and putting the money toward something "practical." Give her some beautiful memories of the time after your engagement, whether that be in the form of ring shopping together or going away somewhere. Your sweet, sentimental, I-just-want-to-make-you-happy gesture will be remembered for years to come.

Disclaimer: I may be totally off the mark here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm sure she will be very, very happy about the engagement, and I'm sure she knows she is lucky to have someone like you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results