shape
carat
color
clarity

Jackets from IDJ!!! Not sure if they work with my studs...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
So I ordered these jackets on the assumption that they might be too large for my studs. Well I think they might be but let me know what you guys think. The jackets are from IDJ and they are made with 3 pointers, F/G color, SI clarity. They come in stock sizes for 0.5ctw, 1.0ctw, etc studs, increasing in 1/2 ctw increments. Since mine are 0.62ctw I had to go up to the jackets made for 1ctw studs because the smaller size would be too small. Otherwise I would have to go custom. Luann thought that these might work because my settings are the 8-prong ones so the prongs would help to fill up some of that airline space. My studs are about 4.35mm around and with the prongs they measure anywhere from 5.04-5.3mm. I think that the airline is too much though. One option would be to upgrade my studs but I'm not sure if its worth the cost. My current studs are BGD Signature stones, F SI1. Even if I go down to G or H in color, it looks like an upgrade is going to cost me around $1K at least (including the cost of the setting) and I'm only getting about a 0.5mm increase on each diamond. Besides, I just bought these studs last year and really didn't want to upgrade just yet. And the $225 that I spent on my current 8-prong settings would go to waste. I do have a 0.47ct diamond from JA that I was thinking of putting in a pendant so if I found a match for that, I could use those as studs and sell my current BGD studs. My only concern with that is the loss that I might end up taking on my studs.

These jackets do look great with my pearl earrings but I'm not sure they're worth keeping just to wear with the pearls, since I don't wear them nearly as much as my diamond studs... Either way they're not going back because my mom already told me if I don't want them, she'll take them off my hands and if I decide to keep them then she wants me to order her a pair :bigsmile: I'm such a bad influence :Up_to_something:

So these are my options, please vote!
1. Keep the jackets and wear them with my current studs, the airline is no big thang.
2. Keep the jackets and wear them with the pearls once in a while. Worry about upgrading the studs later.
3. Spend $1000-$1100 to upgrade my studs to 0.84ctw - 0.90ctw (based on what BGD has available).
4. Keep the jackets, sell my current studs, and find a match for my JA stone. I'll probably have to spend about $1K for the stone + the cost of the setting but at least the studs will be close to 1ctw and fill the jackets nicely. Might make more sense just to go for option 2 in this case.
5. Don't keep the jackets and just be happy with my current studs and upgrade at a later time. It doesn't make sense to spend that much to only upgrade a little bit right now.
6. Have custom jackets made for my 0.62ctw studs (not sure of the cost for this yet). Maybe not the best idea if I plan to upgrade in the future.
7. Give me a different suggestion! =)

Ok, sorry for all that rambling, here are the pics:

jackets 2 027.JPG

jackets 2 024.JPG

jackets 2 006.JPG

jackets 2 007.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Re: Jackets from IDJ!!! Not sure if they work with my studs.

A profile shot and some ear shots...

jackets 2 021.JPG

jackets 019.JPG

jackets 028.JPG

jackets 030.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

And a few pics with the pearls:

jackets 2 011.JPG

jackets 2 019.JPG

jackets 023-02.JPG

jackets 036-2.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl:

I like them! There is an airline - yes - but IMO, it is quite pretty with your prongs and earring setting. You can see it up close and the photos are much larger than life, so when you look in the mirror - do they really bother you IRL? Not too many people are that "upcloseandpersoal' to your ears - it probably wouldn't be noticed by anyone but you.

They do look nice - at least to my eyes! I like the sort of 'scalloped' appearance of the jacket exterior ring and with the airline, it sort of gives a flower/petal look, which I don't mind at all, and they look awesome with your pearls!

Kinda lost me with all your options but I'm going to vote #1 - keep, no big thang! (which also incorporates #2 - wear with pearls) and if need be... your mom becomes another option! If you were to upgrade the studs - that's a huge unplanned expense to fit into a pair of jackets.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

Oooooh I love them with both the diamonds and pearls! If you don't like the air line but don't want to upgrade your studs yet, you can reset them into bezels :love: I personally love bezel studs but also don't think the air line looks bad at all.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I actually like them with the airline; I think it doesn't show very much at all in normal viewing distance on your ears. Also, if you ever DO plan to upgrade the studs, the jackets will likely fit.

And, TROUBLEMAKER - I LOVE LOVE LOVE them with the pearls. DEFINITELY see a pair of them in my future on next trip to NYC - dammit. :)

stci

Ideal_Rock

IMO It's perfect! Gorgeous! :appl: :appl:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

I ususally don't care for airlines, but I actually like it here. They look gorgeous with the diamonds and the pearls!!! Love them!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

How did I know you guys would try and convince me to keep them? :lol: :Up_to_something:

Enerchi - You're right, the airline really isn't terribly noticeable when you're not all up in my ears. Even my husband said they don't look bad and he never encourages me to keep any of my jewelry purchases :bigsmile: Sorry about all of the options, its been a crazy week and I think I might be starting to lose my mind a little!

LaLove - I'm so in lurve with these 8-prong settings and I'm not a huge fan of bezels for studs so I don't think I'll go that route but thanks for the suggestion! And I'm glad you don't think the airline looks too bad.

aljdewey - I suppose I could just keep them and wear them with both for now and then when I upgrade, they'll just be an even better fit. And YES, do get some pearl studs!! I bought mine for cheap at a department store years ago and thought I wouldn't wear them much. I probably wear them at least once a week, they are much more versatile that I realized.

stci - Thank you!!

Bella_mezzo - Thank you!!

I'm almost wondering if the jackets for 0.50ctw would have worked for my studs... I should give Luann a call to find out what the largest mm width is that would fit in those.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

ooh, I like the airline! and love them with the pearls!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Oh gosh, I LOVE those with the airline !!!!
They look delicate and lacy, almost flower-like....
I wouldn't change them at all !!!! :love: :love: :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The airline gives the whole earring definition - from a distance it looks very nice! I like them with the pearls too - makes pearl earrings look sparkly too - it is a great idea! They don't need an airline there as they are two different animals.

Very versatile and I agree with other poster that if you ever upgrade your studs, these jackets will still work. Good job!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If the 0.5ctw size jacket has nine 0.03ct melees, then it is probably too small for your 0.6X ctw studs. Let's see. The larger jacket that fits 1 ctw studs has eleven 0.03ct melees. Then, why can't IDJ stock in-between size jackets that contains ten 0.03ct melees, which may best fit your 0.6X ctw studs?

Honestly, I like how the 11x0.03ct fits your 0.6X ctw. Although the air-line appears to be a little wide in the close-up photos, it becomes a non-issue when the jacketed studs are on your ears. Especially from a distance, the jacketed studs look fantastic and becoming while the air-line becomes less noticeable. In fact, the airline is a bonus, because it makes your jacketed studs much BIGGER. :appl:

Conclusion, if IDJ does not have the in-between size of 10x0.03ct, then keep the 11x0.03ct jacket. Last thing you want to do is to change your stud diamonds. Defeats the purpose of getting jackets in the first place.

I do not like the way your pearl studs look with the jackets. Don't know why. Your diamond studs look much, much better in the jackets.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful jackets! I really like the airline, I like that you can clearly see the stone and the halo. I'd definitely keep them and use for both the studs and the pearls.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

I love them too, stargurl, and they look phenomenal on your ear!! I don't find the airline obtrusive at all, but in case you're wondering, I think that Mara was able to fit a 5.5mm stud in her jackets, and I can fit a 4.5mm stud in my smaller ones.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think they look beautiful with both your studs and the pearls! The airline really is no big thang!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love them with the pearls - really, really!!! The airline with the diamonds bothers me personally............

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Thank you slg47, OooShiney, alene, and junebug!

MGR - You're right, the big plus is that I can wear them now and then if I do upgrade they should still work.

FancyDiamond - I'm not sure why they can't stock some in-between sizes, that would have worked out perfectly. And you make a good point about the overall earring being larger with these jackets, that would be a downside of trying the smaller ones... Hmm. And thanks for your honest opinion about the pearls with the jackets, I can see that its definitely not for everyone.

Cellentani - Thanks for being the inspiration for this purchase, I fell in love with your jackets! When you say that yours can fit a 4.5mm stud and Mara's can fit up to 5.5mm, does that measurement include the prongs or just the stone?

motownmama - Thank you for your thoughts on the airline, I'm still torn on whether or not it bothers me enough not to keep them.

Fredana

Rough_Rock

Beautiful! They fit your pearls PERFECTLY and although there is a hairline, it looks great anyways from a distance on the ear.

I would keep them and in the future if you can upgrade your studs, you'll have the comfort of knowing they will look magnificent!

I love the look with studs and the pearls... KEEP THEM!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

My 4.5mm stones are set in 3-prong martinis, and they fit fine. The girdle is slightly above the top of the jacket, but they're not too high or top-heavy at all. Hope that helps!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Please keep them! They look amazing on your ears and they are so beautiful w the delicate flower look the airline gives them.

My thought: :love: :love: :love:

(but I'm biased because I want some as well ;)) )

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think they look fantastic! I believe that IDJ has a 30 day return policy (not 100% sure on that), but if they do, wear them for a couple of weeks before you make a decision.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

I love them!

I don't mind the airline at all... i think it looks kinda cute! and i love them with pearls as well. They are so versatile!

You've got me thinking that maybe i should have gone for the 3 pointers instead of 2.... :Up_to_something:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love them with the pearls but I think the air line is too noticeable with the diamonds. Sorry, don't shoot me! I like when the diamond sort of blends into the jacket. BUT, if you love them and are comfortable with the gap, then that is what's important! They are beautiful!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't see an airline, I see beautiful earrings on your pretty ears. I think the look perfect, and thank you for sharing as I now know what my .65 ct studs will look like in those jackets ;-)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love them!! They look wonderful with both the pearls and studs. The airline doesn't bother me in the least. Keep them!

I'm digging these. But if they bother you... Send them back.

Would you mind sharing the price of these? If you're comfortable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love them with your studs as they are now and also with your pearls! They look stunning!! I think the airline (which I normally do not care for) actually looks great. You need to love them though so wear them and see how you feel about them.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Thank you all for your replies! I'm going to try wearing them around for a few weeks and then decide. I'm considering ordering the smaller pair just to see if they work better with my studs and if not, I'll just send them back. At least that way I'll know for sure and I'll have considered all of my options.

Yenny - I actually have the benefit of not having to worry about the return policy because my mom wants a pair :bigsmile: But she might start bugging me to hurry up and make a decision.

HOT - I'm sure your 2-pointer jackets will be stunning! I was actually deciding between the 2 sizes as well but Cellentani's beautiful jackets made me decide to go for the 3-pointers. Can you exchange them if you change your mind? They have a good return policy.

Laila - No worries, thank you for your honest reply! I'm not loving the airline either but it doesn't bother me terribly and it allows me to wear the jackets now and they'll still work if I upgrade.

Bean - I don't really feel comfortable sharing the price, I'm sorry. If you give them a call, they'll be happy to give you a quote.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results